Asylum

By T8Townsend

When a group of unlikely acquaintances break out of Asylum - an isolating compound to keep those born with su... More

Newcomer
The Dragon
Yin and Yang
Stalking Not Gawking
Beneath the Surface
Janitor Duty
Reflection Pool
Tonight's the Night
Warning
Kya: Friend or Foe?
Escape
Unexpected Backup Plan
Zeus and the Dragon VS. the Imitator
Okay...Now What?
One Eye
Reaper
The Swap
Starving Dogs
Road Less Travelled
Team Up
Co-Captains of the Benchwarmers
Phase Two: Acquire a Vault Code
Cafe Conversations
Hot on the Trail
Dilemma
Chased
Darker Than Death
I Spy Kya's Disturbance
A Personal Score
Dream Walker
Overwhelmed
Chasing Ghosts
Arrival
Enemy Upstairs
Shades of Emotion
Embracing the Dragon
Wasted Potential
The Batman of Yokohama
Alistair
Distance
The Therapist's Daughter
Buckling Down
Battle Lines
Requesting Background Checks
Ultimatum
The Meaning of Kya
Face-to-Face
Why Teams Have Co-Captains
Prying at the Past
Proper Motivation
The Dragon VS. the Reaper
Pushed to the Edge
Recuperation
Ace Up My Sleeve
Day Off
To See the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Plan in Motion
Innocence
Final Training
Early Start
The Last Showdown
Man of Many Faces
The New Master of the Dojo
Redrawn Alliances
Death Comes for Us All...Sometimes
Aoi Owari
A New Day
The Hunt for Answers
Newcomer
Black Knight

Phase One: Acquire a Vehicle

3 1 0
By T8Townsend

Elektra

Everything will go a lot smoother once we have a car. We won't have to tote our supplies around, we can travel further and faster, and we'll have a place to sleep despite how cramped it'll probably be. Currently, the gang is walking to the nearest car rental shop, which is about 30 minutes away on foot. With fresh clothes and a semi-clean body (my group, scrubbed down with a stolen bar of soap and conditioner in a bathroom), no one complained as we walked. Well, besides Leo. But Leo always complains. He can live in a house of gold and nag on how it smells "too metallic."

I walk in the front of the group, forging a path for them to follow. Ren takes caboose, making sure no one strays away or gets left behind. This seems to be the natural order of things: me, then Sarah and Leo, then Kya, then Ren. We've only spent a few days together and things have already fallen into their routinely places.

I can't help but be reminded of the old days: when I lead my very own group of loyalists who would die for me. I was the captain; calling the shots, picking the battles, taking the spoils of street wars. And everyone else were my soldiers; trusting my judgement, following my orders, never being swayed by the temptation of other gangs. Similar to the old days, there's someone after us – someone with greater connections and population. Before, it was the Reaper; the commander of the dead. Now, it's a whole organization: Asylum.

But unlike last time, I'll win this war. My power has only gotten stronger, and my followers aren't top of the notch gun-slingers, but humans who contain supernatural abilities. I have a mind reader, a voodoo doll, a fire generator, and a water manipulator. Together, we can truly become unstoppable. What's to say we can't take over the world? With our fantastic work ethic and rough upbringing, we can –

"Guys, I can't hold it any longer. I've really gotta pee!" Leo calls, disrupting my thoughts and flushing them down the toilet. Leo could never take over the world: it's Leo. "Can we stop somewhere?"

"We're almost there," Ren grouches. "Use the restroom at the auto rental."

"Use the bathroom of the place we're going to rob?" Leo gasps. "Ren, for someone who's body temperature is naturally higher than normal; you're cold."

"Whatever. Just hold it in."

"I'll remember this next time you're in a crisis," Leo notifies. "Mark my words."

"Riiiiiight...okay, Leo," Ren jokes, laughing at churro-head's attempt of a threat.

"Guys, get it together," I instruct. "We're here. Leo, go use the restroom. As for the rest of you, you know the plan."

To get access to the cars, we need to enter the back room and snag a set of keys from wherever they are – typically, they hang on holders nailed into the wall. We have to keep the front counter worker busy, as well as slip by the other workers who process paperwork in the main hallway that leads to our targeted room. From there, we'll need to take a handful of keys and make it back out without alerting any trouble. After that, we pick our desired car from the selection of keys – and bam – we're good to go.

If the front serviceman is a girl – Ren will keep her distracted. If it's a boy – Kya will do it. If it's an older person – Sarah will handle it. In order to get past the other deskman, one of us will ask where the restroom is (ahem, Leo). If there are more, then another one of us will ask to be taken to the vending machine that all rental shops undoubtedly have. At this time of night, it's doubtful that three office workers will be around, so the last of us will take the keys swiftly and get out of there.

After that, all we need to do is get to the cars and drive.

The shop itself is rundown like the rest of this town. The windows are dirty, but opaque enough to see through. The front man is an older woman with wiry gray hair. "Sarah," I call to attention. "You're up. Talk to her long and sweet. I've got the feeling she's lonely and wants to talk." Hints: there's no wedding ring, and by her desk, there are piles of cat magazines. If that doesn't scream I live in isolation then I don't know what does.

"Leo, you go in the back over there. As the first guy to show you to the bathroom. Walk really slow and make conversation."

"I have to pee and you're telling me to walk slow?" Leo inquires, giving me the evil eye. "I knew we should've picked different captains."

"But you didn't," I remind him. "So go. Ren, you ask the next guy where the vending machine is – to stall, act like it doesn't work. If there's no one there, then go all the way and get the keys. Kya, keep watch."

Dutifully, she nods.

"I'll wait here. Come back with the keys and we'll get this show on the road."

The team moves in. First, Sarah enters, immediately striking up a conversation with the old woman, who smiles and begins to ramble. Step one is a success. Next, I watch Leo enter, requesting the first office worker for the bathroom. Slowly but surely, Leo walks, pretending like he has a limp and needs to walk slower than a turtle making its way through peanut butter. Then, Ren and Kya enter the store. He peeks his head into the second office, and when no one is there, Ren waltzes into the backroom.

Kya stands at the opening of the hall, looking calm and placid as usual. If I was anyone else, I'd never had guessed she was a part of a robbery. I swell with pride. It might've been years since I terrorized the streets in Russia, but it only took minutes for me to get back in the groove.

Briskly walking, Ren comes out, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Joining his side is Kya. Bidding farewell to the woman is Sarah, and coming out with a grand smile on his face is Leo. In pairs, the group exits the shop.

"That was actually kind of exciting!" Sarah cheers. "My heart's beating so fast I can't help but smile."

"I know how you feel," Leo empathizes. "This was the best pee I've ever peed."

"Doing this was wrong, but necessary," Kya reminds us all, keeping our morals in check.

"Yeah, yeah – whatever, moon girl," Ren disses, acting cool as usual.

"You all did better than I expected. I'm actually impressed," I praise, nodding in satisfaction and displaying pleasure for a rare moment. "Alright, Ren: let's see the keys."

He pulls out six sets. "These aren't too bad for being in a shady place like this. Let's go to the garage and figure out what we want."

"I say something flashy," Leo pitches in. "We need to bling it out for the three-hour car ride."

"I think we should get the cheapest car," Kya negates. "This way it isn't a big loss to the company."

Ren sighs and rolls his eyes. "Can you not be such a Debby Downer for like, two seconds? We escaped Asylum, what more do you want?"

These two really don't mix, do they? They're like oil and water. "For executing such an awesome plan, I'm going to have to go with Leo on this," I admit. "After all, I'm a captain – I get to make this call. Ren's got a Camaro in these keys. I say we take it: it's the nicest car here."

"Alright! Whoop whoop! Elektra for the win," Leo amps up, pumping his fists in the air. "What're we waiting for? I'm starving and I want to eat in the car."

"Then let's get a move on," I exclaim, jogging around to the back. There's an old door to get inside the car garage. "Ren, melt the doorknob."

He steps forward. "On it." The cheap metal glows as it reaches scolding temperatures. Then, it melts into a wrinkly ball, which falls off the door. Too easily, we get inside. Even easier, we find the Camaro immediately, clicking the lock button on the key fob.

"I call shotgun," Leo claims, sitting inside. I slide into the driver's seat, starting the vehicle and backing out of the garage. In the backseat, Kya sits behind me, Sarah is in the middle, and Ren is behind Leo.

"Ren, distribute food and read out directions to the nearest bank."

"Bank?" Kya questions, sitting up.

"We need money for plane tickets. On top of that, we need to find someone to make illegal passports for us – and good forgers aren't cheap. We need cash," I explain. "If you don't like it, you can stay behind. You're the only one who seems to have a problem with all of this."

Kya delivers an icy glare in the reviewmirror – something I rarely see from her. "Just drive."    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 7K 37
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Kenna Jones isn't a Superhero, and she wants to keep it that way. Though her brother, Sebastien, is a star member of the...
2K 333 31
How much shit can a person go through before they're truly dead on the inside?" Life is a challenging journey. It can be even more difficult when thr...
80 1 7
Oscar goes off to a new school where he is finally reunited with his sister, Olivia. Meeting new people on his journey he finds out his memory isn't...
944 143 30
Crystal Code Book #1 A runaway, orphan girl with a long back story just like the others, she realizes she may be special after all. But when trying t...