Asylum

By T8Townsend

When a group of unlikely acquaintances break out of Asylum - an isolating compound to keep those born with su... More

Newcomer
The Dragon
Yin and Yang
Stalking Not Gawking
Beneath the Surface
Janitor Duty
Reflection Pool
Tonight's the Night
Kya: Friend or Foe?
Escape
Unexpected Backup Plan
Zeus and the Dragon VS. the Imitator
Okay...Now What?
One Eye
Reaper
The Swap
Starving Dogs
Road Less Travelled
Team Up
Co-Captains of the Benchwarmers
Phase One: Acquire a Vehicle
Phase Two: Acquire a Vault Code
Cafe Conversations
Hot on the Trail
Dilemma
Chased
Darker Than Death
I Spy Kya's Disturbance
A Personal Score
Dream Walker
Overwhelmed
Chasing Ghosts
Arrival
Enemy Upstairs
Shades of Emotion
Embracing the Dragon
Wasted Potential
The Batman of Yokohama
Alistair
Distance
The Therapist's Daughter
Buckling Down
Battle Lines
Requesting Background Checks
Ultimatum
The Meaning of Kya
Face-to-Face
Why Teams Have Co-Captains
Prying at the Past
Proper Motivation
The Dragon VS. the Reaper
Pushed to the Edge
Recuperation
Ace Up My Sleeve
Day Off
To See the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Plan in Motion
Innocence
Final Training
Early Start
The Last Showdown
Man of Many Faces
The New Master of the Dojo
Redrawn Alliances
Death Comes for Us All...Sometimes
Aoi Owari
A New Day
The Hunt for Answers
Newcomer
Black Knight

Warning

14 1 0
By T8Townsend

Elektra

It's 6:00 PM. I have one hour to put my plan into motion. Sarah has one hour to collect the portable essentials for survival. Leo has one hour to read the guards and detect any suspicion that I've flipped sides. Ren has one hour to gather his energy – he's going to be our main force of offense, while I'll be defense. Taser and regular bullets are going to be flying at us from every angle. I'll focus on that while Ren focuses on keeping the power-mimicking Cerberus at bay.

I go to the wall by the gates. On the horizon, the sun is setting and making the world of Asylum almost seem beautiful. But really, Asylum is a place where they segregate the gifted from the normal.

Cerberus stands with his back to the sun. Today, he's on edge. His sandy hair sticks up and his dark gray eyes focus with intensity on the activity below. "Cerberus," I greet with a cool nod.

He grunts as a response. Now, he isn't the fun-loving guy that makes everyone feel at ease. No...now, he's the calloused soldier who's only goal is to eliminate any problem that stands in his way.

"I have information about the escape plan, as well as a plan of our own," I inform, leaning against the cement part of the wall, which is just below barbed wire.

Cerberus hums and nods his head. "Good. I've been given the charge of leading this operation, so any ideas you have can get put into action."

Yeah, I'm counting on it.

I fold my hands together and stare at the sun, wondering if I'll just end up chasing it for the rest of my life after these walls of Asylum. "People like this – the ones who are crazy enough to even come up with the idea of escape – won't stop until they succeed. If we stop the war before it happens, they'll just keep coming at us until they succeed."

Patiently, I wait for a reaction from Cerberus. He's processing my words and turning them over in his head. The amount of tension around him is unnerving. Sure, he's been on edge before, but never like this. But can I blame him? For the first time in Asylum history, a breakout plan will be put into action.

And for the first time in Asylum history, someone will escape.

"What do you suggest?" he inquires, voice like a low growl. When he meets my eyes, all I can make out is malice and malevolence. I imagine that the harsh side of him has been amplified through his MPD.

Containing a smirk, I tell him my plan. "We've got to have a solid reason to lock these guys up for good. This way, we never have to worry about them again. My idea is risky, but we can handle it together."

Nodding, Cerberus heaves a massive sigh. "Again, Elektra: what do you suggest?"

"We let them pass the first wall. If we stage that they broke through, then we can arrest them and put them in the intensive watch cells. They'll never break out of there," I dish out. The only way – and I mean only way to pull this off is to have these first gates open. And the only way to do that is convince Cerberus.

At my plan, he raises his brows in shock. "I know you're rather dangerous, but I didn't think you had this much risk in you. It's almost mad, Elektra. We are opening the doors, figuratively and too literally, for three volatile juveniles to run ramped through the world."

I feel a sour expression cross my face. We were all running ramped through the world before we got scooped up in the arms of this place. How could Cerberus forget that? Or does he remember and he's trying not to?

Above, thunder roars through the storm clouded sky, threatening to empty its rain and spill its lightning. We didn't plan for a storm. Hopefully, Sarah can get her hands on some water-resistant tents or blankets at the least. If not, at least we have Ren to make a fire.

"I know the stakes, Cerberus," I tell the boy. He looks stressed, like if something minor happened – like a bug landing on his nose – he would totally break and lose his sanity. It occurred before, two weeks after I first got here. Cerberus wanted to see what power the new girl AKA me had, and not knowing what it was before he tried it out made his body react in an otherworldly way.

By not knowing I used lightning, Cerberus's brain couldn't prepare his body for the frying of feeler nerves or the rush of extreme voltage and power. His multiple personality disorder amplified and he grew out of control. He sent electricity through all the metal in Asylum unintentionally while verbally blowing up at everyone in range. One moment, he would be an emotional terrorist, and the next he would be apologizing, and then he'd be laughing.

I have reason to believe Cerberus isn't Cerberus's real name. One, the name Cerberus is just so strange. Second, when the MPD kicks in, he has three types: exasperated, depressed, and crazy. Three types – one for each of the three heads of the mythological dog named Cerberus, who guards the underworld. He says his last name is Severo, and while that may be true, I often wonder if my theory is correct.

Currently, Cerberus is on the brink of exasperation. At least, it looks that way.

"I don't know..." he mumbles, shaking his head.

"If I didn't think I could do it, I wouldn't be suggesting this." Typically, I'm not a "team player." I prefer to be alone, but when the time calls for it, I can coax someone to my side.

Sighing, he looks to me. I see the moment he caves. His gray-green eyes soften and he bites his lower lip. Ever-so-slightly, his shoulders de-tense and he gives me a single nod. "Fine. We'll go with your plan. Find out when they're going to attack. Then, I'll open the walls. Don't let me down."

"Would I ever?" I rhetorically ask, trying to not laugh at the fact that I'm literally about to let him down.

Cerberus snorts and smiles. "You're right. You've always been a good friend."

An odd feeling swirls in my stomach that makes me want to vomit. Being a lone wolf, I'm not used to giving or receiving affection. I don't know what to do with it. Showing emotions are for the weak, and I am certainly not that. Heartfelt feelings sicken me – whether they're from myself or those around me. "Uhh...thanks? I'll get to the mission," I abrasively dismiss.

I make my way to the pool building, where I'm supposed to rendezvous with the trio of misfits. As to why Ren chose the pool location, I couldn't tell you. Maybe he knew that nobody would be at the pool in 60-something degree weather?

"You're a minute and twenty-two seconds late," Ren scolds. He's standing by the pool, looking at the chilly water with utter disgust. "But at least you're here." The Dragon comes around towards me and talks at the same time. "Leo came to give a quick report and went off to do more investigation. Sarah's been making packs for us and dropping them off here one-by-one."

"And you've done nothing at all," I joke. Oddly, I laugh. I don't normally do so, and the sound startles me. "Cerberus is going to open the walls when we attack."

Ren's golden eyes widen in shock and his eyebrows shoot up. "Impressive, Elektra. How'd you do it?"

I shrug one shoulder. "You leave that to me."

He nods, but his mind is elsewhere. Presumably, it's on the plan. His eyes have an unhinged focus on the pool doors, as if he's about to burn lasers through them. "I hate the cold," he says.

"I grew up in it," I respond, remembering my childhood. Remembering what I did to Brovinski and thinking how I'll do the same to Cerberus.

"Where?"

I don't want to disclose any information about my history. It's not favorable to others and the past is the past. There's no use discussing what we can't change. I open my mouth to try to evade answering, when the doors fly open and relief flows through me. Thank God for a distraction.

Kya walks in, looking down at her hands and mumbling something to herself. She doesn't even notice us until she's five feet away. Looking up, her face registers shock. "What are you guys doing in here? And...did I...interrupt something?"

"No," I sharply answer, restraining nervous laughter.

"What are you guys doing here?" she asks. "I've successfully avoided Ren for three days and now you're here?"

"Why are you here?" I challenge, putting my hands on my hips and narrowing my eyes at her, maintaining my edge.

Kya's pale eyes search the room as if she's physically looking for an excuse. "I, uhh...I think here. I mean, I come down here to think..."

Ren snorts next to me. "Really, Kya? All you do is think but it isn't like you'll ever amount to anything."

"Well at least there's evidence that I have a brain," she coolly counters, words like smooth ice.

"It isn't like you can kick us out, princess," Ren argues. I knew he didn't like the perfect Kya Carter, but I didn't know he hated her.

Kya's hands ball into fists and she clenches her jaw. I wonder if I'm actually about to see the perfect Kya get pissed, but she releases a breath and unfurls her hands. "You know what? I'll leave. I've seen enough of you," she says to Ren. "I hope you get caught for trying to break out."

With that, she spins on her heels as the pool doors open again. This time, Leo enters. Kya rams right into his shoulder and he yelps. "I'm sorry," she mutters as she barrels on to the doors. And if you listen really hard, you can hear her whisper to someone else, or maybe herself, "I'm sorry."

"What's her deal?" Leo asks, rubbing his hurt shoulder.

"She always has a deal," Ren utters, smiling at the fact that he angered her.

"Whatever it is, it might be a problem," I tell Leo. "She seemed upset and wished that we get caught so, could you follow her?"

"Aye, aye," he salutes, heading out to follow Kya Carter.

I don't know if Kya's too good to turn us in or not, but she sure seemed upset. I just hope that her final "I'm sorry" wasn't for us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

565 0 19
January 21st since it's my anniversary, I wanted to do something special never wrote a book before let's start with that those in the outside world w...
2K 333 31
How much shit can a person go through before they're truly dead on the inside?" Life is a challenging journey. It can be even more difficult when thr...
135K 7K 37
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Kenna Jones isn't a Superhero, and she wants to keep it that way. Though her brother, Sebastien, is a star member of the...
106 36 19
The Avatar is gone. He was not there when the fire nation invaded the earth kingdom and he is not here now, when a small group of rebels hiding in an...