Foxblood: Rise of the Hellion...

By foxifae

The sequel to Foxblood: A Brush with the Moon. Something’s stalking Sophie and it’s not just her boyfriend’s... More

Prologue
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Eleven
Part Twelve
Part Thirteen
Part Fourteen
Part Fifteen
Part Sixteen
Part Seventeen
Part Eighteen
Part Nineteen
Part Twenty
Part Twenty-One
Part Twenty-Two
Part Twenty-Three
Part Twenty-Four
Part Twenty-Five
Part Twenty-Six
Part Twenty-Seven
Part Twenty-Eight

Part Ten

7.6K 143 8
By foxifae

Respite from the night’s rain was all too brief, and the day soon became wet again.

Beth had gone out with Nick.

Todd hadn’t bothered to emerge from his sleeping bag, and consequentially, a mouldy odour had begun to permeate the room.

Mum was pretending to read a book, but I caught her staring off into space on more than one occasion, and she’d been sick in the bathroom too. She was obviously nervous about her new job.

Seb finally turned up late afternoon. I was relieved to see him, but my anger took over. I’d been trying to get in touch with him all day. I took advantage of a gap in the showers to pull him onto the balcony, out of earshot.

“Where the hell have you been? Why didn’t you answer my texts?”

“Yeah, sorry. Must’ve lost my phone last night.”

Like I believed that. “So what did you find out?

“Nothing.”

“Nothing? What do you mean nothing?” How could they have been out all night and drawn a blank?

“Nothing conclusive. We found the campsite, near Lyall Ridge, where the original attack took place. Scents led out in all directions but ended where the corpses had clearly fallen. Couldn’t get a proper trail.”

“So, whatever it was killed the people and then vanished into thin air?”

“Looks like it.”

“Kinda like you then?”

“What?”

“Your kind. They disappear on the spot.”

“Sophie, you don’t think?”

“I don’t know what to think.”

Sebastian paced the length of the railings. “I can’t believe you don’t trust me after all this time.”

“I don’t see you offering an alternative.”

“I don’t have one…yet. Roc has this theory about hell hounds, but I have my doubts.”

“Why?”

He paused and leant on the balustrade. “Hell hounds aren’t thinkers. They follow orders, you know, from down below. They usually only leave the Thirteenth to collect wayward souls. It would be unusual for them to be here at all, never mind going on a killing rampage of innocents. Something doesn’t gel for me. I’m keeping an open mind.”

That was more than I was doing, and with the pending full moon, I needed to ensure that the boys couldn’t be blamed for anything that might occur later.

“Are you down the shaft tonight?” I asked, leaning my back against the rail beside him.

“It’s for the best, I think. In a few moons’ time, who knows? We should have more control by then.”

“Can I help you then? Instead of Tamar?”

“It’ll probably rain again, and I’d rather you stayed here…safe.”

“Pleeease? I’ll text Beth and ask her to pick me up afterwards.”

I could tell he was thinking about it. My baby face was working.

“Oh, alright. Just stop looking at me like that,” he said, finally.

I grinned. It was fun getting my own way.

Sebastian glanced at his watch. “Better get going, actually.”

I nodded.

“Mum, are you okay sorting out tea for you and Todd?” I asked, as I grabbed my coat from the old hat stand and an apple from the fruit bowl. “We’re off to the cinema in Carleigh, won’t be late.”

“Oh, okay, love. See you later.”

Twenty minutes later, we arrived at Lovell Towers. As Sebastian had predicted, the rain returned, and we headed inside to grab a quick bite to eat before going upstairs.

Sebastian knocked on his grandmother’s door, and I followed him inside. Nothing had changed since my last visit to the dark and dusty first floor living area. The curtains were permanently drawn shut, and despite the recent turn in the weather, a hearty fire still crackled in the grate.

Sebastian’s sister, Tamar, was kneeling by the hearth, feeding the greedy flames with another shovelful of coal, her fur covered face intent on the task. Grey smoke billowed out into the room and my lungs, bringing on a sudden coughing fit.

Old Mrs Lovell had been asleep in her wooden wheelchair and she wasn’t pleased with our intrusion.

“Hello, Grandmother…Tamar.” Sebastian saluted them, but his grandmother scoffed.

“Couldn’t you at least wait until both eyes are open before you come bursting in like that. It’s enough to give an old woman a heart attack.”

“Sorry, Grandmother. I just came to let Tamar know that she’s relieved of her duties tonight. Sophie’s here.”

Even in the dismal light, I saw Mrs Lovell scowl at me. “Yes. I can see that,” she sneered. “My eyes work just fine when they’re open. So she’s still sniffing around then?”

“Be nice, Grandmother. Sophie’s here to stay.”

Mrs Lovell turned her wheelchair away and grumbled, “There’s something not right about that girl. I can feel it in my waters. I may be old but I’m not senile.”

I felt like screaming, ‘Hey I’m right here, you old cow!’

Why didn’t the woman like me?

Instead, I chose to be the bigger person, and my attention turned to Tamar.

I’d always felt sorry for her, stuck in her half human half werewolf state, but I couldn’t help noticing her usual sad demeanour was tinted with anger. Did she resent me for taking over her job? It had never crossed my mind that she might enjoy her monthly task, or that it could well be one of the only times that she left the confines of the house. I began to have second thoughts, but Sebastian pushed me out of the door before I could say anything.

“Seb? I was wondering if maybe I could do something to help Tamar…you know. Perhaps she can be healed.”

“Oh, Soph. You’re so sweet. But it isn’t an illness or an injury; it’s who we are. You can’t change that any more than you can change the nose on your face.”

Ooo, I hadn’t thought of that one. I never have liked my nose. It could be worth a try.

In the cave, Connor was already waiting. He was lighting the last fire torch, and in the soft orange glow, he did a double take as I entered.

“Are you sure that’s wise, Bro?” I knew he meant allowing me to tag along. “You know it’s raining again. Trouble could be lurking anywhere, and if we’re not here to protect her, well…”

“Mathanway’s charm still holds. Sophie will be fine. She’s going straight home. Although…” He thought for a moment. “On second thoughts, it may be wiser for you to stay here.”

I shook my head. “No I don’t want to leave my family alone. It’ll be okay.”

Sebastian nodded and drew me in for a goodnight kiss. The cave air was chilly, and as I snuggled into his warmth, I snuck a peek at Connor, who was standing by the gate that led to the tunnels.

The monsters in the mines, though permanently beasts, became restless with the moon’s strength, and I knew the importance of keeping them contained.

Connor finished double checking the padlock and paused, watching us. He kicked the gate in anger, causing Sebastian to pull away from our embrace.

“You okay, Bro?” Sebastian asked.

Connor recovered. “Yup, all done here. We’re on.”

Sebastian nodded in confirmation and climbed down the rope into the shaft that would be his bed for the night.

As I watched him disappear into the darkness of the pit, the corner of my sight caught Connor removing his shoes and peeling off his shirt. God he was beautiful. He approached slowly, squatted down next to me, and began tugging on Sebastian’s rope. I could feel the heat radiating from his perfectly toned torso, and it made me uncomfortable, but I watched, mesmerised, as his muscular arms made light work of the rope, before I came to my senses.

“I can do this, thank you,” I said, grabbing the rope from him and heaving for all I was worth. I wouldn’t feed his impression of me as a weak girl.

Connor laughed and held his hands up. “Just trying to help.” He stood back, arms folded, enjoying my efforts.

At last, I heaved the end of the rope into its coil. Phew, it was hard work. I hoped I had enough strength left to do the same for Connor.

He was waiting for me, and as I approached, he began unfastening his pants.

“You can do that down there,” I said.

“But then I’d miss your reaction,” he answered, amused.

“Shut up, keep your pants on, and get climbing. Go on. Off you go.”

He approached slowly. “Sure. When I’ve had my farewell kiss,” he said softly.

You don’t get one.”

He moved so fast that I’d no time to escape the inevitable, and before I could object, he’d pulled me in close and crushed his lips to mine. It was no use struggling. Even if I had had the will to resist, I didn’t have the strength. His tongue probed and teased my lips apart, eager for entrance, then hooked below mine and caressed the sensitive flesh underneath, as I submitted to the kiss.

Bad girl, Sophie, bad girl with zero will power.

I tried to push him away, but I was going nowhere until he decided.

Sebastian’s voice called from below, “Everything okay up there? It’s very quiet.”

Connor dropped me abruptly, winked, and began his descent.

“Just pulling up Connor’s rope now,” I shouted shakily. “See you tomorrow.”

“Okay. Be careful. Get home quickly and keep the doors locked.”

Connor’s rope felt heavier than Sebastian’s, no doubt weighed down by my guilt, and it seemed to take ages to reel it all up. After finally managing to haul up the full length, I couldn’t get out of the cave quickly enough, and I sped back to The Towers to meet Beth.

Knowing that the boys weren’t at home made the house spookily quiet, reminding me of my first visits to the building, before I’d got to know its owners. A lot had happened in the months since, making those days seem all too distant.

I knew Beth was around…somewhere. I’d seen her car parked outside. But she wasn’t in the hallway or the lounge. I called out for her and the echoes called back. Where was she?

I tried the cloakroom, the ballroom, the dining room, and even the kitchen. The house was way too big. There were too many rooms to search, and I wanted to get back to the flat.

“Beth, where the hell are you?” I shouted in annoyance.

A faint sound came from the end of the corridor. I followed it cautiously. The library door creaked open at my touch.

“My dear girl. So nice to see you again.” Grandpa Jo’s ghost swooped down and frightened the life out of me.

“Oh hi, Jo. Have you seen Beth?”

“Beautiful creature, voluptuous brown curls, and a figure to match? Last seen in the mythology section?”

“Looking for me?” Beth appeared from behind a bookcase with her nose stuck in a book, and Grandpa Jo drifted away.

“Beth, what on earth are you doing in here? It’s the last place I expected to find you.”

She grabbed my arm and spoke softly in my ear. “I know. Weird right?”

“I’ll say. You don’t read.”

“Usually, no. But Jo gave me this great book, see.” She waved one of the library’s many thousand leather bound volumes under my nose, too quickly for me to see the title. “He said I can keep it.”

“He gave it to you?”

“Ah huh.” She nodded.

“He has no hands, Beth. He’s a ghost.”

“Duh. He flew it to me, stupid.”

I scanned the ceiling right up to the dome, but the old man had gone.

“Beth, are you sure you haven’t been on the drink? Because I’m not getting in the car with you if you have,” I said, grabbing her wrist. I desperately wanted to get home before dark.

“No. We never got as far as the pub today,” she said, tucking the book under her arm as she struggled to keep up with me.

“Really? Why?”

“Nick and I broke up,” she said, panting.

I should have guessed. “What happened this time?”

“Nothing. That’s the point. I was bored. He was boring. I miss Jimmy.”

We reached the front door and I heaved it open.

“You haven’t mentioned Jimmy for weeks,” I said, scanning the gardens nervously on our dash to the car.

“I know but I can’t stop thinking about him. He’s sooo gorgeous. He’s a rock star. He’s a werewolf. It’s exciting. Let’s face it, where am I going to find anyone else like that?”

She had a point.

“They have their own problems, you know. You’re in enough danger just being my friend, right now. If you were with Jimmy, you’d never feel safe again.”

“Oh, phooey. Admit it, you wouldn’t want a normal life again if it smacked you in the face and said sausages.” She unlocked the car and we got in.

“Sausages?”

“Yeah, well…whatever. You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, sure,” I said, slamming down the catch securely.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

478 16 8
Nicole has been training Dani how to use her new vampire powers she has everything right except transforming into a vampire. Nicole and Valerie are a...
998K 12.4K 37
Complete at 75,000 words. One incident is all it takes to change your life. For Sophie it happened the day the fox attacked her. When Sophie moves to...
138K 6.2K 35
Years passed and the twins and Adriana are grown up. Things are peaceful and life couldn't get better. But now it's time for them to meet their mates...
19.8K 418 22
Jamie is stressing out about her parents divorce,her grades, and not to mention the emotional and physical bullying at school. After her mother goes...