Cold Envy [Envy x Reader]

By lol_hope_lol

After years of training, you finally become a state alchemist. Then, on a whim, you start helping the Elric b... More

Chapter 2: I Can Help
Chapter 3: Rest
Chapter 4: The Laboratory
Chapter 5: Cold Blood
Chapter 6: A Brief Confrontation

Chapter 1: Wind Alchemist

4.1K 76 42
By lol_hope_lol

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange," I repeated to myself as I waited in the hall of East City Command. The anxiety of this alchemist exam made my stomach turn, and my head was starting to hurt. I just hoped that I would pass.

Hearing the door open I looked over to see one of the officers notifying me that it was time. Taking a deep breath, I walked into the room on shaky legs.

'This is what you wanted, (Y/N); remember that and you'll be fine."

Stopping in the center of the room, I looked around at the officers who had came to watch my display. One of them being Colonal Roy Mustang, who I have known as a family friend for a few years. My father worked with him for a little bit; under a year I think. Then once the Ishvalan War had started, ties were cut. I can't blame either of them though.

"Well? Show us what you can do, miss," one of the officers told me. He was holding a pad of paper and a pen. Seems like he'll be surveying me.

I'll show you what I can do alright. "May I have a glass of water?" Taking the glass from the man, I threw the water up before cupping my hands around my mouth and blowing on it to produce an icicle. It was easier having the circles on my hands rather than drawing it.

Catching it, I got a few gasps and murmers, making more nervous than I was before. The man took some notes, so I figured another one couldn't hurt. Swirling my hand around, I made a small tornado, tossing it between the palms of my hands. Again, got a few murmers. I had actually begun to feel proud of myself.

"I think we've seen enough," he stated, leaving the room with the other men. I gulped and looked up over where Mustang is. He gave me a small smile and a nod. Well that's reassuring, I suppose.

Walking out of the room, I took a deep sigh of relief. Looking down at the ground, I almost couldn't believe what just happened in there. It was almost like a vivid dream. I was so focused on the squeaky clean floors that I didn't even realize that someone had approached me.

"That was quite interesting, (Y/N)," I looked up to see Mustang standing beside me. "Never thought I'd see you trying out to be an alchemist."

"Neither did I," I said, thinking back to...,well, that part wasn't important.

"So your dad actually let you take the test?" he asked jokingly. Right, he doesn't know.

I paused and looked down at the ground. Biting my lip, I responded barely above a whisper. "He's dead."

The silence loomed over like a thick blanket, making the atmosphere more awkward yet grim. "I'm...sorry. It's been a while since I saw him." I accepted his condolances with a smile. And I agreed; it had been a while since I saw him.

"How did he pass?"

"My mom told me that he transferred himself to Briggs, and that he died in battle defending the fort," I explained with a hushed tone. My head still hung, looking at my feet and the sunlight bouncing off them through the window.

"Briggs, huh? He really was a tough fighter. You should be proud," Mustang contemplated aloud. I just gave a small nod.

"Well, what do I do now? How long will it take for them to assess me?" I asked, looking back up at him. I just wanted to get off the topic of my dad; seemed too personal and grim. He looked away with a thoughtful look.

"Not too long. Considering what you did in there, they should be done soon. It's not everyday we find an alchemist focusing on air and wind." I gave an 'oh', turning to walk out and back to my apartment. "Hey, (Y/N), why don't you wait in my office?"

"Hm, sure. You did say it wouldn't take very long," I said, following him to his office. There was a woman waiting there for us, her blonde hair up and having a rather stern yet relaxed look on her face.

"Lieutenant, this is (Y/N), she just completed the alchemist exam," he introduced me. The woman smiled, and shook my hand.

"It's nice to meet you, (Y/N), I'm Lieutenant Hawkeye but please call me Riza." She smiled and her eyes held a kindness in them.

"Nice to meet you too, Riza," I replied with a smile.

"If you'll excuse me, sir, I have some work to do," Riza said to Mustang, who gave her a curt nod. She left, leaving just the two of us. He sat in his chair while I sat on one of the couches.

"I guess we can just-" Just when he was about to finish, the door opened and a blonde boy was standing there with a tall piece of armor. Did this kid seriously bring it here by himself...?

"Hey, Colonel, we're back," the blonde spoke. He walked inside along with the armor. Guess he had someone with him after all.

"Well done on the Liore case you two. Nice work. I appreciate you resolving the matter." Liore? I've heard of that place. Wasn't that where that priest was who caused that uprising?

"No big deal. It's not like we did it for you," the kid responded, sitting on the couch across from me. I laughed a bit. He clearly wasn't a big fan of Mustang. The boy looked over to me. "Who's this, Colonel?" He asked pointing his thumb over to me.

"That's (Y/N), she just completed the alchemist exam. With wind alchemy."

"Wind alchemy, huh?" He looked over to me. "Well I'm sure you've heard of me, I'm Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist, and this is my brother Alphonse."

"Yeah, I have heard of you two. Youngest of the state alchemists. Hehe and one of the smallest," I joked.

"Who are you calling a subatomic flea?!" He bursted out even though I said nothing like that. I laughed at his sudden change in attitude. Al held him back as Mustang began to speak.

"The Philosopher's Stone. Another false lead?" Philospher's Stone?

"Yeah, after all that the stone was a fake. Even so...the power it gave Cornello was real enough. He transmuted this huge chimera right in front of us," he explained after calming down. I was utterly intrigued. So this is the kind of stuff alchemists do.

"I still wonder how he was able to use the stone to do that. I'm not familiar enough with the field of bio-alchemy to really understand it," Alphonse's voice echoed throughout the armor.

"Yeah, I'm kind of curious about that too. It might be worth looking into," Ed wondered aloud. "Who knows, maybe we'll find something that could help us restore our bodies."

What did he mean by that?

"It might help if you consulted a specialist," Mustang said, getting out of his chair. Ed and Al looked at him questionably. Even I did. State alchemists experimenting with chimeras?

He led the boys out, looking back at me. "It's best you wait here, (Y/N), I won't be long." I nodded with an affirmative hum and remained on the couch.

Mustang did return...after two hours. I had decided to read while I was waiting and was currently reading an alchemy book. There was a chapter on Philosopher's Stones that I thought would be interesting. But it only talked about the history and legends behind it. I was so focused on the book that I didn't even notice him until he spoke.

"You remind me of the Elric brothers already." I looked up him with a strange look. What was he talking about? "Nevermind. What are you reading about?"

"What Edward was talking about; the Philosopher's stone. Although he made it sound like more than one can be made. I wonder what they're made of...."

For some reason I did want to help them. It may not be any of my business, but I could tell those two could use all the help they could get.

"Why would they need one anyway?" I wondered aloud.

"It's a rather complicated and sensitive story, (Y/N). I doubt you want to hear it." I looked at him, begging him to tell me without having to tell him.

"I'm sure it's something I can handle, considering..." He just sighed.

"A few years ago, the Elric brothers had attempted human transmutation, causing Ed to lose his leg and Al to lose his entire body. Ed then sacrificed his arm to attach his brother's soul to a suit of armor. They hope that a Philosopher's Stone will help restore their bodies," Mustang explained.

"Oh...that's a shame. And for someone that young. Thank you for trusting me enough to tell me."

"Hmm. By the way, I have something for you." I looked up again to see Roy holding out an envelope.

A/N: Envy needs more love I swear so I took it upon myself to write a fanfiction for them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

439K 11.5K 62
❝spencer, all this week you've been holding my hands. what about your germ thing?❞ ❝you were more important.❞ hazel finley is a liar. but she's a da...
215K 7.5K 98
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
413K 19.7K 81
Kang y/n was always been the black sheep of the family. Overshadow by her extremely talented, gorgeous sister Roseanne . Who has the world revolve a...
142K 6.5K 36
"I can never see you as my wife. This marriage is merely a formality, a sham, a marriage on paper only." . . . . . . She was 10 years younger than hi...