Black Butler: Demons in our H...

By shadowquill

Its London and young women are disapearing off the streets, what happens when an oddball assassin is targeted... More

Black Butler: Demons in our Hearts
Chapter 2: Matters of Pride
Chapter 3: A New Assignment
Chapter 4: Of Demons and Lies
Chapter 5: Skill Test
Chapter 6: What Happened Before the Rain
Chapter 7: Rainy Day
Chapter 8: Kat, Sick!
Chapter 9: Before the Investigation
Chapter 10: During the Investigation
Chapter 11:A reason for Tears
Chapter 12: Invitation to a Ball
Chapter 13: A Challenge
Chapter 14: A Promise
Chapter 15: A Choice is Made...to go on "Holiday"
Chapter 16: Poveglia Island
Chapter 17: The Dark Presence
Chapter 18: Another Challenge Looms...
Special: Christmas at The Phantomhive Estate
Chapter 19: Dance to the Rythm of the Night
Chapter 20: Culprit Found!
Special #2: Bad Lemonade
Chapter 21: Consequences of a Lost Battle
Chapter 22: Of Selfish and Cute things...
Chapter 23: Visitor
Chapter 24: Why A Rhose Should Be Feared
Chapter 25: I Will Be There
Chapter 26: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 27: Murphey's Law
Special #3: A Day At The Lake
Chapter 28: Stuck between a Wall and Something Inhuman
Chapter 29: "Say it Louder, Amico Mio...."
Chapter 30: That Butler, Is an Utter Fool...
Chapter 31: Game Start
Chapter 32: A Revelation...Finally...
Chapter 33: The Last Dance
Chapter 34: Fires of Destruction
Chapter 35: A Lady In Red
Chapter 36: No One But You...
Epilogue: That Butler....Happily Ever After...
Rhose's Special: Part 1
Rhose's Special: Part 2
Rhose's Special: Finale
Preview: D. Gray Man: Where We Meet Once More
Special: Halloween One Shot
Kat's Song: Full Version (Return To Me)

Rhose's Special: Part 3

8.6K 267 52
By shadowquill

A few weeks later…

“Rhose are you sure it’s alright that I come along today? Does Nevaeh know I’m coming?” Kat asked, readjusting the bonnet on Sarina’s downy mop of black hair. She had convinced Sebastian that it would be alright to bring Sarina along on the outing on one condition.

The baby had to be covered at all times; he didn’t want her to get sunburn.

Sometimes I wish he would be a bit more like his stodgy old self, she thought rebelliously, the Sebastian that I knew from the very beginning the one that was arrogant, slightly cold, and fun to tease. She sighed as Sarina settled down to nap in the cradle of Kat’s arms. But then again, him softening up a bit isn’t a bad thing either.

“I’m sure it is fine gattino, I brought a peace offering like you suggested.” He held up a basket near overflowing with bread loaves, apples, cheese, and even a couple chocolate bars. “Do you think this is enough?”

“Are you trying to feed an army?”

He coughed awkwardly and scratched his chin, “Well…that’s not entirely off the mark, eight children…that could be considered an army, couldn’t it?”

Kat laughed, startling Sarina awake. The baby blinked blearily up at her mother, before gurgling her own amusement.

__________________________________________________________

Navie glanced out the window for what seemed like the hundredth time that day, waiting to see the top of the giant’s head emerge from the ring of dense bushes that surrounded the hut’s clearing.

He came daily now, early in the morning before the children even awoke, and helped her to straighten and repair the cottage, and then he would play all day with the children.

It was an unwritten schedule by now that he would arrive just before dawn, which was what was worrying her. It was now much further into the morning, the kids were already up and outside, playing hide and seek in the forest while they waited for their bigger playmate.

A lone wolf’s howl made Navie glance up sharply, that had been close by…a second howl sounded, this time farther away. Navie relaxed and busied herself by sweeping the floor of the hut out.

He may not come today…I shouldn’t be so upset about it…it’s not like I own him or anything. He does have a life outside of us…I’m sure he does. I can’t blame him for not coming one day.

“Where is my forte Madonna?” Rhose’s deep voice carried through the window, bringing Navie out of her solemn reverie. Before she could think she smiled, and called back, “I am here, piccolo uomo.” A joke between the two of them. She had wanted to call him flower boy in Italian, because of his name, and when he wouldn’t teach her she had threatened to call him that in English.

In short, he compromised and taught her, piccolo uomo, which meant little man.

And in return he called her forte Madonna, or fierce woman.

A smile brightening her countenance Navie opened the door, admitting the suns fair golden rays to spill into the room. Rhose bowed, his tall frame doubling over, “Nevaeh, I would like you to meet someone very important to me.”

From behind Rhose stepped a young woman, with long hair like black silk, clear skin, sapphire blue eyes, and a baby with a similar appearance cradled against her chest. A feeling of uncertainty curled in Navie’s stomach. Who was this woman? Rhose’s wife?

The little baby cooed adorably, and toyed with his mother’s hair.

Forcing a smile on her face to hide the turmoil that was just under the surface she said, “It’s wonderful to meet you, I’ll call the kids in so we can all become properly introduced.”

____________________________________________________________

“Are you an idiot?”

Rhose looked at Kat with no little surprise, since when did she talk to him like that? She had always spoken to him with the utmost respect. “What?”

With Sarina sleeping soundly on the cot in the corner of the hut, Kat put her hands on her hips, the very image of female consternation. “She likes you idiot. If she just wanted the kids, why didn’t she just call them?”

“I don’t understand.”

Kat through her hands up, “Of course you don’t. Listen, whenever a woman sees the man she likes with another girl, she will get upset, and go off by herself. Where is Navie now?”

Realization hit him, “By herself.”

“Exactly. Now go get her.” Kat pushed him towards the door.

Rhose refused to budge, “I can’t do that gattino, I can’t have feelings for a human, I’m a-”

“Demon of the apocalypse, a Rider that will bring about the end of the world, an idiot that refuses to see what he has in front of him.” Her blue eyes flashed with anger, “Listen, Sebastian is a demon and I’m human….well mostly, but that’s not the point. If you can feel happiness, sadness, anger, or loss, you can love someone. It doesn’t matter what you are or where you come from or what will happen in the future.”

Gattino…”

“Do you want to end the world?” Rhose shook his head vehemently. “Then don’t, you are a sentient being with a soul of your own, no one can write your destiny for you, only you can make it. Now go make it with her.”

Rhose paused, caught between the intense desire to go and do what he wanted and the voice in his head telling him what was practical, it was true that during these last few weeks that each of the children had found a special place in his heart, and especially their proud caretaker, but... He blinked, there are no buts…everything that Gattino has spoken of is true, and that’s what I was worrying over…I think…I hope…

Placing a grateful kiss on Kat’s forehead he rushed through the door, “Thank you gattino.”

_____________________________________________________________

The birds chortled their songs, sweet trills and tweets sung to their mates and young that roosted in the boughs of the ancient trees that surrounded Navie as she walked through the woods, not really paying attention.

How could I be so silly? Of course someone like him has a wife, how could he not? She berated herself mentally, angry at herself, at Rhose for not telling her, and at the world in general. She hated to be made a fool of and when she had seen the woman with Rhose, it had been like a punch in the gut. It was like saying that she wasn’t meant to have a happily ever after, that every man she came to…like, she refused to admit she loved him, had someone else that was more important than her.

She didn’t want to be greedy, but she really didn’t think it was too much to ask to be the sparkle in the eyes of the man she loved. To be the one, the only one, that belonged to him.

Its really not that much to ask is it? She ran her hand over the rough bark of an old hickory deep in thought, Is too much to want to ask, really?

“Nevaeh!” Rhose’s heavy footsteps could be heard but the giant himself was not seen. A blush of embarrassment filled Navie’s cheeks, What does he want?

Finally he came into view, a large raspberry bush had managed to grow tall enough to hide his presence. His hair had fallen free of his hair tie and his deep brown eyes were frantic with worry, until they settled on her. Without a word he wrapped his arms around her and held her to him.

Too stunned to move Navie remained still, “Rhose?”

“I’m so sorry, for being an idiot. Can you forgive me?” His breath ruffled the unruly curls on the top of her head.

“What for?”

He pulled back to look down into her eyes, “I love you, I was just too stupid to say anything.”

A riot of emotions flooded Nevaeh, had she not just wished for him to say something like this? Yet, anger and hurt, rode quickly on the heels of her joy at his words. She pushed him away, “What about your wife?”

“Wife?”

“Yes, wife!” She snapped, “I can’t believe you…I thought you were an alright person, but here you go saying you love me when you have a wife and kid!” Her voice had risen to a screech by the time she finished her tirade. “I-” Rhose’s finger on her lips, silenced her.

His eyes were kind and sad, “I have no wife, and Kat is merely my adopted daughter. Sarina is her daughter.”

Navie glared at him, and slapped his hand away, “That’s not possible, you’re not old enough for her to be your daughter, adopted or not.”

A haunted look entered his eyes, the brown depths showing nothing, “I…Navie, I’m not human.” She opened her mouth to argue, and he shook his head, “Please allow me to finish…or rather it would be easier to show you.”

The brown flashed to red, and black scrollwork seemed to flow across his skin as a fog of power surrounded them. Navie watched with horror as his canine teeth lengthened to points, fangs, and a set of black armor, horned and dripping with blood covered his body.

She took a step back, her feet catching on an exposed root of the old tree, tripping her. He took a step towards her and she shut her eyes tightly, terrified over what he would to her. She felt his hand hesitate beside her cheek for an instant before gently cupping her cheek for a moment. “I am sorry Nevaeh.”

And then he was gone.

Nevaeh sat up slowly, her emotions still in a muddle. Between feeling a sense of loneliness and guilt, images of Rhose and the children, Rhose, smiling at her, Rhose, breaking through the bushes in the early morning calling her name in greeting.

My god what have I done? She stood hurriedly, her anxiety showing in her jerky movements, I…am such a fool, he was showing me his true self, trusting me, and I act like a fool. She stripped off her shoes, throwing away the cloth slippers that would only impede her as she ran.

The forest floor flew beneath her feet as she ran, she knew where he was. He was at the cottage, he wouldn’t leave without saying goodbye to the children, if she hurried she could catch him, and never let him go again. A wolf’s fevered howl, sounded from her right. Navaeh saw the grey and brown shape leap an instant before her foot caught in a rabbit’s hole, sending her sprawling.

Navie looked up into the eyes of the feral animal; all traces of fear had been erased in its golden eyes, leaving a blank insanity behind. Saliva dripped from its maw, and from this distance Navie could see where other animals had tried to put it down and failed, large chunks of fur were missing and there were several places where wounds still bled across its back.

It snarled and sprang forward. Navie screamed and closed her eyes waiting for the feeling of the wolf’s jaws and claws to tear into her. When the pain she felt was not forthcoming she opened her eyes and looked up to see Rhose, still in his demon armor, standing before her, the wolf lifeless at his feet.

Her mouth suddenly dry she tried to stand, only to fall again when a sharp pain in her ankle sent her back to her knees.

Without a word and without looking at her Rhose picked her up, and began carrying her back towards the hut.

“Rhose?” The only response she got was a noncommittal grunt that made Navie’s heart ache. “I’m sorry.” She whispered, snuggling closer to his chest. “I shouldn’t have acted like I did…you have to admit though that was a bit of a big surprise to drop on someone though.” She glanced up at his face for any sign that her words reached him, when she saw nothing she felt her temper flare in irritation.

“Stop.” He looked down at her with surprise and did as she bid. That’s more like it. “You said you loved me correct? Then allow me to give you my reply.” She pushed herself up in his arms and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. After that she pulled away, a smile on her face, “I love you to Rhose, but…you need to know that I am human and you can’t drop such a huge bomb on me like that and not expect a response. I may need a little time to digest some things.”

He blinked at her for a moment before hugging her tightly to his chest, and buried his face in her hair. “You are one of a kind.” He whispered.

She laughed, “Of course I am, the mismatched eyes weren’t a clue?”

____________________________________________________________

The Final Chapter!->

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 95 30
{Complete} Shini Breckenridge moves to London to serve her majesty and to assist Ciel Phantomhive in his duties as queens guard dog. Shini has too su...
123K 3.4K 26
(thanks everyone for your support!) A young girl's parents were both killed during her short lifetime, leaving their successful business and...
48.9K 2.3K 23
Ciel Phantomhive is called to solve the case involving a series of killings that mirror gruesome fairy tales. But finding the killer may take more as...
973 12 9
What if the lovely and capable butler Sebastian Michaelis had a child and one day, the kid showed up? I'm this fan fiction Sebastian has a little gir...