Code Name: GLITCH

By Mo_Luchessi

Coming soon to Royal Road Major Xiomar Haydn is a damn good soldier, and an even better mechanic, although h... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four

Chapter Three

16 0 0
By Mo_Luchessi

"I know what's wrong with the Mech!"

General Lotharing shot up in his bed, and Xiomar put his hands up in surrender when he found himself staring down the business end of a pistol. The general let out a noisy huff and lowered his weapon.

"For fuck's sake, Xio. You wanna get yourself killed?"

"A bit jumpy, aren't we?" Xiomar questioned, trying to suppress a smirk. If he laughed, Lotharing might actually shoot him. "Who are you expecting to come through that door?"

"Haydn, what hell are you doing in my barracks this early? How did you even get in here?"

"Come on, Old Man. I'm a genius mechanic and great acrobat. You don't think I can slip past a few watchmen, or pick a little old lock?"

"You know..." Lotharing sighed, rubbing his tired face. "If you just said that to anyone else on this base, you'd be court-martialed. If it was Dufault, he would've just shot you."

"I'm not scared of Dufault. Anyway, I—"

"Xio, get the fuck out of my barracks before I'm the one who shoots you! Anything you have to say, you can tell me later, in my office, not standing in my bedroom with me in my skivvies at four in the morning."

"But—"

"Out, Major Haydn! That's an order!"

"You got it." Xiomar gave the general a half-assed salute, as usual, and left. Usually, he'd push the general to talk, but when Lotharing used his official title, Xiomar knew he was in trouble. He'd just have to wait.

He lay in his bed, just staring at the ceiling as the sun started to come up, shining through his window. He was too tired to sleep. After months of working on the broken mech, he finally understood why GLITCH had malfunctioned. If it was as simple as replacing the wiring, he might actually be able to get it back in active duty.

And maybe he could pilot it.

"You'd better have a damn good excuse for breaking into my barracks this morning," Lotharing said, leaning back in his chair while he tapped his pen on his desk. "If I don't think your reason is good enough, I will have you court-martialed."

"Oh, please, Old Man." Xiomar rolled his eyes as he shut the office door behind him. He jumped over the back of the chair in front of the general's desk, landing in the seat with a loud thump. As always, he put his feet up on the desk. "You and I both know that's an empty threat."

General Lotharing sighed and closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"You know... you're the reason I have grey hair. Just answer the question, Xio."

"I want to take the mech into the Training Arena."

"What?" Lotharing's entire body went tense, and he stared at Xiomar with an open mouth. "Have you completely lost your mind?"

"Just listen to me for a second," Xiomar said, putting his feet down and leaning forward. "All those deaths... they were from faulty wiring. Just think about it. There was never a problem with that thing until Acenna Pierce died, right?"

"How the hell do you know about—"

"The point is," he interrupted, "this mech is sentient. You know that. You've known since Pierce built it, haven't you? That sentience gives it the capacity for emotion, but the mechanics don't. The fault in the wiring was from the overload of electrical impulsed, caused by the mech grieving its pilot's death. There's nothing wrong with this thing, it just needs some new wiring. I can pilot this thing, Old Man!"

"Absolutely not," Lotharing said, a dark look on his face. "You're not a pilot—you're a mechanic. Even if you're right, it's too unpredictable to put it into action."

"Don't use my job title against me—Acennan Pierce was a mechanic and a pilot. Besides, all I'm asking for is a little bit of time in the training arena." Xiomar had to know how the mech worked, and he had to prove that GLITCH wasn't cursed. If he could do that, be the man who fixed and piloted an impossible mech, maybe he'd start getting some respect around the base. "Thirty minutes to and hour, that's all. Don't make me beg for it. Don't you want to see it in action?"

The general tapped his pen on the desk again, and Xiomar could see the wheels in his head turning. He had to say yes. How could he not? Lotharing must have wanted to see how it worked just as much as anyone else."

"Fine," he said, letting out a heavy sigh, and Xiomar practically jumped for joy, grinning ear to ear. "I'll give you forty-five minutes with it. If it doesn't comply with your orders, I'm shutting the whole operation down. Dufault isn't going to be happy about this, and the public stands will have a shit-ton of reporters and spectators—that mech hasn't been seen since Ace died. As soon as the other men find out, it's going to be big news all over the country, since no one around here can keep their mouths shut."

"You won't regret this, Old Man!" Xiomar leapt to his feet. "Just give me a time and day!"

"Next Friday, 7pm. Get your ass over to Mech Hangar 3 before then for a physical exam and to be outfitted with a Sync-Suit."

All week, the base was buzzing about the mech demonstration. The older officers hadn't seen the mech in fifteen years, and most of the others had never seen it at all. The information on its previous pilots was public record, so it was a big to-do. The so-called "cursed mech" was back in action.

Xiomar had gotten immediately outfitted for his Sync-Suit—he wanted to get used to wearing it before he actually used it.

He spent most of his time in the gym on base, exercising, stretching, and practicing his acrobatics. He wanted to be able to do as much with GLITCH as possible. Based on how it was built and what GLITCH told him, the mech could do anything Xiomar could do. He wanted to put on a good show.

The day before the demonstration, he went to see GLITCH.

"Major Xiomar Haydn detected. Sync-Suit compatibility within range."

"I have big news, GLITCH! It's why I haven't been around as much. But anyway, General Lotharing is going to let me take you into the training arena!"

The lights in the ceiling pulsed, but the mech didn't speak. What was he thinking?

"What's wrong?" Xiomar asked, his excitement fading with the lack of response. "This is your big chance to get put back in active duty. We just have to show the generals that you're not broken. It's not you or the sync that are faulty—it was your overloaded wiring. If you and I use the Sync-Suit, we can show everyone that you're as capable as you were fifteen years ago. Don't you want to get out of this hangar?"

"You are impulsive, like Ace. Such tendencies are part of what caused his untimely death, and—"

"Come on, GLITCH!" Xiomar sighed and dropped down into the pilot's seat. "I'm trying to help you out, but I can't do it on my own. You've got to help me. Please?"

"Very well."

"Yes!" Xiomar pumped his fists into the air. "Okay, let's test out of couple of things. Can you sync with one my hands?"

"Link with Sync-Suit initiated. 0.05% established. Left hand now active."

"Wow," Xiomar breathed. "That was easy."

Just as he said that, his hand went completely numb. He hissed, trying to wriggle his fingers to shake off the sensation, but they wouldn't move.

"What the hell?"

"Side effects of syncing may include blindness, dizziness, fainting, nausea and vomiting, tingling of the extremities, and numbness. Pilot vitals are normal, and there is no nerve damage present in the hand."

"Well, that's just great," Xiomar said sarcastically, and he rolled his eyes. "All right, whatever. Can you move your hand?"

The three projection screens merged into one, and it displayed a live feed of Mech Hangar 11 from GLITCH's point of view. As Xiomar tried to wiggle his own fingers, GLITCH's moved instead, and Xiomar's heart pounded with excitement. He was going to pilot a mech.

"Okay. Shut down the sync."

"Link deactivated."

Xiomar shook his hand out as the feeling slowly returned, trying to collect his thoughts. The idea of piloting a notorious mech was so exciting—he would prove to them all that they were wrong about GLITCH. He wasn't a violent, disobedient killing machine. He was just a grieving soldier.

"How about the foot now?"

"Link with Sync-Suit initiated. 2% established. Right foot now active."

On the screen, Xiomar could see part of GLITCH's foot. He tried to tap his own numb one on the floor a few times, and the mech's foot was the one to move. A few of the mechanics in the hangar were watching with their eyes wide and mouths gaping, and some who stood to close were knocked to the floor by the force.

"Oops," Xiomar said with a laugh. "Let's stop that."

"Link deactivated."

"Let's see..." Xiomar tapped his fingers on the pilot's seat, biting his lip. Was GLITCH ready for a full sync, or should he wait until the demonstration to try? "How about... uh... How about the head?"

"Link with Sync-Suit activated. 6.5% activated. Head and neck now active."

Xiomar inhaled a sharp breath as his vision faded to black. Syncing with GLITCH was making him go blind! He couldn't catch his breath as he tried to turn his head side to side, blinking over and over, trying to get his vision back. What was he going to do if he couldn't see anymore? He was a soldier and a mechanic—he needed his eyes.

"Blood pressure and heart rate rising at an alarming rate. Do you require medical—"

"I can't see!"

"Hold for visual redirection... Link with Sync-Suit activated. 7% established. Eyesight now active."

The darkness in Xiomar's eyes slowly cleared away until he was finally able to see again, but then... it wasn't his own sight—it was GLITCH's. He could see all of Mech Hangar 11, and he could turn his head and look around.

It was a strange experience, to be synced with the mech's head and not his own. He could move and see like it belonged to him, but he couldn't feel anything, and he couldn't control what the camera's in GLITCH's eyes focused on. As his gaze wandered over the soldiers in the hangar, displays popped up with their names and titles.

"That's enough," Xiomar said. He didn't like not being able to feel his own body. "Shut it down."

"Link deactivated. Hold for visual redirection."

Xiomar blinked a few times and rubbed his eyes as his vision returned. Coming back from the sync gave him a splitting headache, and he groaned.

"Do you require medical attention?"

"No... My head is just killing me. I'm fine."

"Side effects of syncing may include blindness, dizziness, fainting, nausea and vomiting, tingling of the extremities, and numbness," GLITCH repeated.

Xiomar scratched his head, shooting a curious glance up at the pulsing lights above him.

"You're kinda strange, you know that, GLITCH? Sometimes you talk like you're a person, and other times you just read off info like a robot. But you can think and feel, right? Do the two things feel different?"

"I cannot comprehend emotion. According to my database, emotions are formed within the human limbic system, which I do not possess."

Xiomar sighed and leaned back in the chair. This mech was impossible.

"But obviously you can feel something," he said. "You said that your sync went fault when Acennan Pierce died. Whatever happened back then, it burnt out your wiring because it couldn't handle the electrical impulses. I think that was an emotional response. Maybe you don't feel things the same way I do, but I still think you can feel."

"General Edward Lotharing detected."

The screen showed General Lotharing standing below GLITCH, glaring at the mech with his arms crossed.

"I think I'm in trouble," Xiomar said, getting up from the seat. "I'll be back later."

"What the hell is going on?" Lotharing called up to him while he climbed down GLITCH's body. "I've got guys freaking out down here like we're under attack, saying the mech's alive."

"Sorry," Xiomar said, swinging from GLITCH's large wrist. He let go and caught himself on the side of the mech's leg, then slid down to its foot, tumbling forward to reduce impact. He jumped to his feet in front of General Lotharing with a grin on his face. "I was just testing out the new Sync-Suit."

"Xio..." Lotharing let out a long sigh of frustration, punching the bridge of his nose. He did that a lot when he was around Xiomar. "You're not supposed to be testing that thing in the hangar! What if it glitched and—"

"I told you, I figured out why it was faulty, and I replaced the wiring. Whatever happened fifteen years ago isn't going to happen again. I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Xio," he said sternly. "You weren't there. You didn't see all those men die. I'm trying to prevent you from becoming the fifth name on that list. One more slip-up and this mech is finished."

Xiomar sighed, stretching his arms over his head. Lotharing had always been very fatherly, trying to keep him in line and out of trouble. He was overdoing it lately, though, especially since Xiomar had been assigned to repair GLITCH.

"You worry too much, Old Man."

"Four men are dead. I think I worry just enough."

"All right, I get it." Xiomar rolled his eyes at the general. "When did you get so uptight? At least I know the Sync-Suit works. So, there won't be any surprises."

The day of the demonstration came around, and the base was noisier than ever. Soldiers and civilians alike were bustling with excitement, and people were flooding into the public arena from all over the country to watch. Officers were stationed at the entrances along with local law enforcement, equipped with metal detectors and arms with K-9 units.

Xiomar had been ordered to stay clear of reporters, so he did just that. He stayed with GLITCH after they'd moved the mech into Hangar 1, which was directly connected to the Training Arena.

His heart was pounding with excitement. He was really going to pilot a mech.

"Blood pressure and heart rate are elevated. Do you require medical attention?"

"No," Xiomar said, shaking his head. "Just... just excited, I guess. Or nervous."

"What is the difference?"

"To you, probably nothing." He closed his eyes and took slow, deep breaths. "I guess the only difference is fear."

"Are you afraid?"

"Terrified," he said with a nervous laugh. "I've never piloted a mech before, and everyone expects you to kill me."

"I am programmed to avoid and prevent loss of life whenever possible."

"I know that, but they don't. All they know is that your last four pilots died."

"Major Xiomar Haydn," a voice blared across the intercom system in the hangar, "please report to Generals Dufault and Lotharing in Mech Hangar 1."

"I guess it's almost time," Xiomar said, standing up and stretching his arms over his head. "I'll be back when they're ready for the demonstration."

The two generals were already waiting for him at the foot of the mech when Xiomar climbed down, and Lotharing eyed Xiomar's jumpsuit with curiosity.

"Why are you wearing that over your Sync-Suit?"

"I don't look good in spandex," Xiomar said, adjusting his gloves. "Is it time?"

"Not yet." Lotharing handed him a helmet. "This will let me keep in contact with you over the radio. Do not take it off."

"I still think you worry too much." Xiomar handed his goggles over to the general before putting the helmet on. It was snug and comfortable, and there was a faint him as it converted the hot air outside into cool air to be pumped in for him to breath and prevent the visor from fogging up. "Thanks."

"Good luck, Major," General Dufault said, saluting Xiomar, whose eyes went wide. Dufault hardly ever showed him any respect as a soldier.

"Oh... uh... Thank you, General," he said, saluting him back. When he lowered his hand, Dufault eyed GLITCH with disdain.

"Keep that thing in line, Haydn," he demanded, the contempt clear in his voice as he turned away. That was the Dufault that Xiomar knew. "If anything goes wrong, I'll see to it that it gets melted into silverware for the Mess Hall, and you'll never touch another mech for the rest of your miserable life."

"Yes, sir." Xiomar tried to suppress the smirk that tugged at the corners of his mouth. The last thing he needed to do was piss off General Dufault before he even got a chance to pilot GLITCH.

Lotharing sighed, then looked to Xiomar with an intense look in his eyes.

"Be careful, Xio."

"Major Xiomar Haydn detected. Sync-Suit compatibility within range."

"All right, GLITCH," Xiomar said as he sat in the pilot's seat, strapping into the safety harness. He would need it, especially if he wasn't going to be able to feel his own body. "Showtime."

"Link with Sync-Suit initiated."

He closed his eyes and took slow, deep breaths. His heart was pounding wildly in his chest, but he was too excited to be scared. This was his big moment.

"3% established. Feet now active."

He gritted his teeth against the sensation of numbness that started in his toes. He was going to have one hell of a hangover after this demonstration.

"Xio?" a garbled voice came across in Xiomar's ears mixed with white noise. It took a few tries, but General Lotharing's voice finally became clear. "Can you hear me?"

"12% established. Lower legs now active."

"Loud and clear, Old Man."

Xiomar heard a frustrated sigh across the radio, and he couldn't help but smirk. Lotharing hated being called old.

"Listen to me. There are a lot of people out there, including television crews. Don't do anything reckless. If I see things getting out of hand, Dufault has a Valkyrie and a Reaver on standby to shut it down."

"You worry too much."

"33% established. Upper legs now active."

Xiomar took a deep breath as both of his legs went completely numb. He could move them, even if he tried.

"No, I don't worry too much. Would you just listen to me for once in your life?"

"I'll be fine, Old Man! Quit it!"

"81% established. Torso now active."

Xiomar gasped as all the feeling left his stomach and chest. He felt like he couldn't breath, despite taking deep, noise breaths.

"Blood pressure and heart rate increasing rapidly. Administering oxygen and nitrous oxide."

There was a loud hiss as the vents pumped cool air into the pilot's compartment. It helped Xiomar to calm down, despite his chest still being numb. Would he be able to hand the full sync?

"Oxygen levels are normal. Blood pressure and heart rate stabilized."

"What's wrong, Xio? What's going on?" Lotharing's voice was loud and concerned. "Answer me!"

"Nothing," Xiomar managed to say through heavy gasps. "I'm fine. Just getting used to the sync."

"82% established. Hands now active."

Xiomar exhaled a long, slow breath, then closed his eyes, trying to meditate while he synced with GLITCH. He let his mind wander to other things to ignore the numbness in his body. If he thought about it too much, he'd start to panic and he wouldn't be able to breath.

This was his moment. He was going to alter the course of his entire life in a span of just forty-five minutes. After showing what GLITCH was capable of, after being fixed by the Chief Mechanic, no one would be able to give him shit anymore for anything. No one else could fix the mech, but he had, and now he was going to pilot it. Even scum like Lieutenant Maddox couldn't deny him that glory.

"86% established. Forearms now active."

"Tell me when you're ready," Lotharing said, "and we'll open the gate."

"92% established. Upper arms now active."

This is it.

Everyone would be proud of his accomplishment. He'd make Old Man Lotharing proud—he didn't have anyone else. The closest thing he had to family was watching, along with half the country, and Xiomar was going to prove them all wrong about GLITCH.

"99.5% established. Neck and head now active."

"I'm ready," he said into the headset.

There was a loud clang as the arena gate unlocked, and the floor started to rumble as it lifted. Xiomar could no longer feel anything in his own body, but he knew that every movement would be reflected in GLITCH's.

"Hold for visual redirection... 100% established. Eyesight now active. Sync complete."

Xiomar opened his eyes, and he watched the door to the arena lift open, flooding the hangar with light, through GLITCH's eyes. As the mech's cameras focused, he saw the mech-proof glass on the other side of the arena, and the stadium behind it was filled with thousands of people. There were flashing lights of cameras, and Xiomar could see tripods set up close to the glass for different news stations.

"All right, GLITCH," he said. "Let's show these people what you can do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3 0 31
Follow the story of four intrepid hero's as they each follow their journeys seemingly detached from one another, as they uncover the secrets of a for...
39.1K 851 36
[MALE READER IN REVERSE 1999] - 𝗦𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗕𝗨𝗥𝗡 FANFIC "𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙣𝙤 𝙥𝙖𝙨𝙩, 𝙣𝙤 𝙛𝙪𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙚, 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙣𝙤𝙬" ...
825 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...
1.4K 22 3
Corruption is all that was happening and Y/N was the only one immune to both the Glitch and Corruption that spread out taking over people, but everyt...