Once Bitten: Twice Mad

By conleyswifey

America 1887 Times have changed. The country that was once booming, growing and thriving is now a wasteland o... More

Once Bitten: Twice Mad
Chapter One: Colt's Nightmare
Chapter Two: They're dead, they eat folks and ya shoot 'em in the head
Chapter Three: Whatever the hell it is, it ain't right
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-SIx
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-six

Chapter Forty-Four

1.2K 116 7
By conleyswifey

Chapter Forty-Four:

"Colt, I need to have a talk with you about something that has come to my attention." Jedidiah said, cornering Colt as he stepped out of his room the next morning.

Evangeline fought back laughter when she saw the look of dread that crossed her husband's features.

Husband! Colt was her husband. A little thrill of excitement passed over her at that thought and a big smile curved her lips. "I'll just leave you men to talk about things and I will go see about breakfast." She offered.

"You don't have to run off." Colt countered.

Evangeline smiled. "Yes I do. If I was to hear your discussions with Jedidiah then you would not find it so easy to keep secrets from me."

Jedidiah folded his hands in front of him and took a step back with a grin tugging at his lips. Colt frowned, clearly confused. "What are you talking about, woman?"

Evangeline sighed and adjusted the sling on Colt's neck. "Well while you were unconscious from your gunshot to the head, Jedidiah and I had a chat and it just so happens that he let me know that he warned you something bad was going to happen. I trust that since you did not feel the need to share that information with me or anyone else....."

"Hey now—" Colt held up his hand to cut her off. "—I didn't marry you to be nagged at. Jedidiah said something was going to happen in a town but he didn't know what that was or even what town it was going to happen in."

"Calm down, I'm not angry." Evangeline assured him before kissing his cheek lightly. "However, are there any other secrets that you'd like to share with me now. You or Jedidiah? Anything else you think that the group should know?"

Colt and Jedidiah shared a look that Evangeline found awfully suspicious before Colt shook his head and looked down at her once again. "Nope."

"Not as of now." Jedidiah agreed with a broken toothed smile.

"And the news you're sharing this morning isn't anything that could end with someone harmed?" Evangeline asked Jedidiah.

"No, I don't reckon it is." Jedidiah replied, seeming to be thoroughly enjoying the situation.

Evangeline tapped her finger against her chin several times and then nodded. "Well alright then." She shrugged. "I'll be in the kitchen. No more secrets, Colt. Not from your wife."

Colt cleared his throat and nodded. "Yes ma'am."

Evangeline shook her head and made her way down the staircase and through the lobby and sitting room to the kitchens. True she wasn't angry at Colt for not telling her what Jedidiah had warned him about, however she wanted to make sure the man knew that he had a partner now. He had someone to lean on. She had a feeling Colt was a man who only knew how to lean on himself and Evangeline could only imagine how hard that must be at times.

Evangeline found Charlotte, Katherine and Aunt Rachel already in the kitchen, getting breakfast started. Susette was sitting in the corner playing with a deck of cards on the counter.

"Good morning." Evangeline said as she walked in.

"Good morning, Evangeline." Charlotte replied with a smile. "Did you sleep well?"

Evangeline blushed. "Very well."

"Yeah I'd say you did." Katherine snickered.

Evangeline rolled her eyes. "The man had been shot twice less than twelve hours before we went to bed. I think that it is safe to assume there was none of that going on." She glanced at Susette and hoped the girl wouldn't catch on to what they were talking about.

"I still can't believe you married him!" Rachel exclaimed. "I tried to talk you out of it last night--"

"But I wouldn't listen." Evangeline finished for her as she grabbed the pan of biscuit dough from the counter and slid it into the oven. "And I won't listen to you say a bad word about him now either. He is the man I chose and I won't hear any more about it."

"Not that there were very many to choose from." Frankie chimed in as she came into the room.

"Where have you been?" Katherine asked, while stirring the potatoes that were frying.

"On the roof." Frankie replied, stealing a chunk of potato and earning herself a glare from Katherine. "Comanche and I were keeping watch but Jedidiah and Colt came up and told us to come down." Frankie stuck her stolen food into her mouth and then drew in a breath and began fanning her hand as she chewed the hot piece of potato.

"I love how we're all trying to act like this is just another morning." Katherine snorted. "There are men riding this way that could very well try to kill us all and yet here we are just cooking breakfast and chit chatting."

"Perhaps we've grown so accustomed to people and monsters trying to kill us that we're simply not bothered by it anymore." Charlotte offered as she poured a jar of canned apples into a pan to heat.

"That's kinda sad really." Frankie muttered as she hoisted herself onto the countertop to sit. She wiped her hands on her pants and smiled. "So, Evangeline, how is married life treating you?"

"Colt was too tired last night." Katherine cut in with a wink.

"No actually he wanted to but I said no." Evangeline spoke up quickly, even though her cheeks and ears both grew hot when she did so.

"Look at that blush! You're as innocent as they come, ain't ya?" Frankie teased. "I'm surprised he took no for an answer."

"Colt happens to be a gentleman." Evangeline informed them.

Charlotte laughed. "No, he just happened to have two bullet wounds and severe blood loss. Try saying no on a night he's feeling a bit better."

Every woman in the kitchen stared at Charlotte with shock. "What?!" the woman exclaimed. "I happen to be a married woman myself."

Laughter filled the room and Evangeline was thankful for it. Even with the world the way it was, it was nice to know that women (even women as different as the five of them were), could still laugh and talk together.

"I will admit that I never saw myself getting married." Evangeline said. "My father was always pushing all the eligible bachelors down my throat and each one was more gruesome than the next."

"My first husband was someone my parents chose and he paid them nicely for my hand. He was an abusive drunkard who lost all his money and used his heavy hands to punish me for it. Sometimes parents don't truly know what is best for us." Charlotte admitted.

"And what happened to your husband? Was he bitten?" Frankie asked.

Charlotte nodded, though her eyes remained on the apples she was stirring. "Yes. He came home one night and he wasn't himself. I fought him off and barricaded myself in the servants quarters. I gave birth to Grace alone while he and our only servant beat against the walls, desperate to get in and have a taste of us. If it weren't for Silas showing up when he did, Grace and I would have died that night."

Mention of Grace had everyone falling silent and filling with sadness as they thought about the tiny angel.

"Those monsters are scary." Susette spoke up.

Evangeline nodded, "Yes they are." Then she decided that they needed a change of subject smiled at Katherine and Frankie. "So when are the two of you going to get married?"

Katherine flushed and began to poke harder at the potatoes, obviously unwilling to answer but Frankie laughed loudly and slapped her hand on her knee. "I ain't never getting married."

"But you love Comanche don't you?" Charlotte questioned.

Frankie snorted. "Course I love my crazy injun but that don't mean we gotta get married. You throw words like married into the air and then they turn into words like stuck and children and I ain't wanting any of that!"

"But, Frankie, you do know that you don't have to be married to get with child don't you?" Rachel asked, with a frown.

Frankie's brown eyes widened and she shook her head. "No I didn't. Well shit, I guess me and the injun gotta quit doing that....."

"You're so full of dung!" Katherine spoke up and Frankie laughed loudly.

"How do you prevent it?" Evangeline whispered, hoping once again that Susette wouldn't catch on or ask any questions. The girl seemed lost in her cards once again so Evangeline was almost certain that she wouldn't.

"Tea made from herbs." Frankie replied. "Just drink two cups of it a day and you're good to go."

"Okay but what if you don't have the tea?" Evangeline questioned, finding this fascinating.

"Have him exit the building before the finale." Katherine replied with a smile.

Evangeline had no idea what the woman was talking about. "You can truly prevent getting with child simply by drinking a tea?"

"Yep. I've been drinking it nearly every day for as long as I can remember. If there's one thing I ain't gonna risk it's gaining me a husband or a baby."

"Nice for me to hear that now, Paleface."

Evangeline watched every ounce of color drain from Frankie's face as Comanche's tight voice filled the kitchen. Evangeline turned slowly and saw him standing in the doorway. His sharp features were hard and angry as he glared at Frankie.

Frankie slid herself from the counter and tried to laugh it off. "What's the matter, injun? Someone pissed in your wigwam?"

"My people live in log cabins." Comanche growled and then he turned and strode from the room.

Frankie rubbed her cheek and swallowed hard. "I better go see what's the matter with him." She mumbled before following quickly after him. The sound of the main hotel door opening and closing reached the kitchen.

"Colt won't like that they left." Evangeline said as she chewed on her lip. "He wanted everyone to stay in the hotel."

"Yes well—" Rachel began, stirring the oats she was boiling. "—savages are not known for following the rules."

***

Comanche could hear Frankie's boot steps trailing behind him and he clenched his fists. He loved the woman but right now he did not want to look at or speak to her. He had known from the moment he had realized Frankie was the one for him that she would be a challenge but this.....? Comanche had never imagined she would do something that hurt this badly. Even her leaving him had not caused his heart this kind of pain.

"Comanche, would you just stop for a damned minute and tell me what you're so pissed off about?" Frankie snapped.

Comanche came to a stop beside an abandoned home and gripped the top of the porch railings with his hands, not turning to look at her.

"I need breathing room, Frankie."

Frankie blew out an exasperated breath, grabbed his arm and tugged him hard. Comanche released his grip on the railing and turned to face her.

"What are you so angry about?" she demanded.

"Do you really not know? Are you so blinded to everyone else other than yourself that you can't see what would have made me angry?"

"Did you just call me selfish?" Frankie asked with a frown. "I'm not selfish, Comanche. Sure I don't go spoutin' out sweet words of support to everybody but I care the best I know how."

Comanche shook his head. "No you don't—not really."

"Why don't I care, Comanche?" Frankie demanded, anger flashing in her dark eyes. "Because I said I don't want a husband?"

"Is there a reason I am not good enough to be your husband?" Comanche growled. Truly he was hurt by that but it wasn't what had his blood boiling.

Frankie laughed, clearly hoping to ease the tension and anger. "Come on now, injun. Do you savages even get married?" she asked with a wink.

Comanche felt his fists clench tighter. "Yes, Frankie, we do."

Frankie sighed and stepped toward him. "Alright, I'm sorry." She relented, laying her hands on his chest. Comanche felt his anger increase when he realized that even as angry as he was at her, her simple touch still aroused him.

He took a step away from her. "Tell me about this tea I've been making for you." Comanche felt his stomach clench painfully, knowing that he had boiled her that tea countless times....

"Why?" Frankie asked, leaning her shoulder against the porch banisters and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Tell me." Comanche ground out, working hard to keep from yelling.

"It's a tea that I learned about a long time ago." Frankie replied with a shrug. "It keeps a woman from getting with child."

"Just how many of my children have I helped you to get rid of?"

"What in the hell are you talking about?!" Frankie demanded. "The whole point of the tea is to prevent getting with child, not kill ones that are already there."

Comanche shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. "And you did not think this was something we should have a conversation about?"

"Are you serious?" Frankie exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. "You would actually want to bring a child into a world like this?!"

"I would like to at least have a say in the matter and not have my woman making herself barren without my knowledge."

"Listen here, injun, just cuz I'm your woman doesn't mean you own me. I don't have to speak with you before I make decisions about my own body."

Comanche slammed his fist into the thick banister beside the steps. "Damn you!" he shouted and Frankie's eyes widened with surprise at his outburst. "I have been here for you without fail and without question. I would give my life for you in an instant with no second thought given. I want to spend the rest of my life by your side, Frankie, but I won't do that if you aren't willing to as devoted to me."

Frankie shook her head and pulled off her hat, smacking it against her leg. "I'm not going to have a baby, Comanche. I ain't the mama type, and what would you do with a kid anyhow? Would you make yourself a little papoose and slap it on your back with your arrows?"

Comanche felt as if she had just taken one of his arrows and rammed it through his heart. "So I am good enough to rut with you but not good enough to be your husband or father to your children?"

"How dare you!" Frankie snapped, tears filling her eyes and shocking Comanche out of his anger. "I love you and I've told you that! Marriage is not something I want! All my life my parents were on me to get married and settle down and be a good little wife. I will not ever be that! I won't be the woman my mother was! And children? What the hell would I do with a child, Comanche? This is not the world for a child! There are monsters behind every single door and even if the monsters don't get our baby, it could still die. Look at what happened to Grace!"

"That does not excuse you keeping that secret from me. You should trust me enough to open up and tell me these things, paleface and if you do not then I don't see why we are even wasting time together."

"Go then!" Frankie urged, shoving him backward. "I don't need you, anyhow. You go on back to the group and I'll go. I'd rather be alone."

Comanche's anger came roaring back. He had used up his patience with her and the way she built walls up to keep everyone out, including him. He understood her but that did not excuse her treating him so badly; not when he would take on heaven and hell alike to make her happy.

"Do what you must." He stated simply and then walked away, heading back toward the hotel.

***

Frankie stared at Comanche's broad shoulders walking away from her and felt her heart shatter.

What had just happened?

She didn't want to lose Comanche. She loved him and his temperamental possessiveness. He was everything to her. Why couldn't he just understand? Why couldn't he see? Marriage had never been a good thing in her eyes. Why did they need marriage? Weren't they doing fine without it? And children? The injun actually wanted children?

Frankie leaned her back against the porch banisters and buried her face in her hands to hide the tears that were slipping down her cheeks. She didn't understand what she had done that was so wrong or why Comanche was so angry at her.

She would give him time to cool off and then she was sure that the next time she approached him things would be fine. He would be calling her paleface again and smiling at her and he would make love to her and it would be just as it was before.....

Frankie took a moment to collect herself and stop the flow of tears from her eyes. She sniffed and was about to take her hands from her face when something closed around her ankle and pulled her backward.

Frankie was caught off guard and a cry of shock left her lips just before she fell forward, coming down hard on her face. Blood filled her mouth and her vision went blurry. She could hear the groaning and hungry grunts of a rabid and she looked at her feet to see the rabid, with both hands latched around her ankle, trying hard to tug her under the porch as it snarled and drooled.

Frankie crawled forward, dragging the rabid with her. She cried out again as her ankle twisted painfully. She reached down to grab her revolver but the rabid reached out a hand and grabbed her wrist.

Frankie tried to kick at the rabid but it was only part of a body. Just a head, shoulder and arms... there was nothing below its chest and all her free leg was kicking was air.

That bloody, rotting mouth nearly closed around Frankie's hand. Frankie jerked her arm, slipping it from the rabid's grasp. This rabid was the most rotted that Frankie had ever seen. Most still had some semblance of the human they had once been but this one did not. It was rotting decaying flesh over brittle bones and it very well could kill her.

Frankie went for her gun again but again the rabid grabbed her. She beat at its head with her other hand, but she was too twisted up on the ground to bring her arm down with any real force and the rabid ignored her. She was going to be bitten!

Frankie swung her leg up and caught the rabid hard in the back of the head with her boot. She kicked it once. Twice. Three times. She could hear the brittle bones cracking with each hit and then suddenly the rabid fell away.

It was still alive, its jaws barely snapping as its soulless gray eyes remained locked on her. Frankie pulled her knife and lunged forward, sinking the blade deep into the rabid's head and twisting. Frankie fell backward, panting as she lay on her back in the dirt and stared up at the sky.

Her ankle was throbbing from being twisted, her jaw hurt and her head was pounding. She could taste blood in her mouth and feel it on her chin. Her heart was pounding and her nerves were on edge but she was alive and she was unbitten.

After several minutes of catching her breath and calming down, Frankie got to her feet, keeping her weight off her sore ankle. She pulled her knife from the rabid's head and made her way back to the hotel, limping with every step she took.

When she walked into the sitting room just beyond the entryway, Comanche rose from the chair and rushed to her. "What happened?!" he demanded, eyeing the bloody knife still clutched in her hand.

"There was a rabid under that porch. It grabbed me....."

"Are you okay? Did it bite you?" Comanche questioned.

"I'm fine. He didn't bite me."

Comanche pulled off his shirt and used it to clean the blood from her face. "I am sorry. I should not have left you out there alone."

"I wanted you to." Frankie replied with a shrug. "It wasn't your fault."

"What happened?!" Katherine gasped as she entered the room.

"I was attacked by a rabid but it's dead."

"Do you still plan on leaving?" Comanche asked her. Frankie looked up into his eyes, nearly as dark as the night.

Before she could answer, Colt came rushing down the stairs. "No one is going anywhere."

"Is something wrong?" Katherine asked him.

"Yeah." Colt sighed. "We got men riding in."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 76 15
A virus has swept across the entire country, its origin unknown. Seven young adults, whose fate has bound them together, must find a way to escape th...
2K 341 26
"Dreams. Everyone human has them. Some believe in them. Some think it's a pigment of their own imaginations. It's soothing to see yourself in a beaut...
1.1K 52 34
What would you do if one second you were struggling to survive with your friends and mother in tow, and then you wake up to find yourself with a grou...
62.3K 2K 36
Y/N L/N. Combat Specialist, Infiltrator and Security Tactician. An Operative Agent for a pharmaceutical corporation known to many as The Umbrella Cor...