Once Bitten: Twice Mad

By conleyswifey

America 1887 Times have changed. The country that was once booming, growing and thriving is now a wasteland o... More

Once Bitten: Twice Mad
Chapter One: Colt's Nightmare
Chapter Two: They're dead, they eat folks and ya shoot 'em in the head
Chapter Three: Whatever the hell it is, it ain't right
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-SIx
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-six

Chapter Thirty

1.3K 116 2
By conleyswifey

Chapter Thirty: A Train Full of Rabid

The group rode into the tiny railway town only about an hour before nightfall that same night. The buildings were rickety at best and it was clear this town was a ghost town. There didn't appear to be any rabid wandering the streets, though the rotting piles horse fur and bones littering the street, and the picked over bodies of humans made it clear there had been rabid here before. Colt scanned every visible building as they rode past but couldn't see any evidence of living people either.

"Well I'll be damned..." Frankie muttered, looking at the long black train pulled up at the station.

"How did you know that train would be sitting here?" Colt asked Jedidiah. Jedidiah scratched at his old gray mare's mane and shook his head.

"You will not believe me if I tell you so why do you even ask?" he questioned. Colt grumbled and held up a hand to bring the cart and wagon, and everyone on horseback to a stop.

"It's damn near dark. I think we need to be getting on that train and locking it down for the night." He said.

"And in the morning we can search the town for supplies to stock the train up before we go." Katherine added. "I'm sure this town doesn't have much..."

"... but it's bound to have something. I agree." Colt said. He started off toward the train, everyone else following slowly and as quietly as was possible behind him. Colt thought the town was abandoned but that didn't mean he wanted to go making a bunch of noises and alerting anything that might be here.

"That's a nice train." Frankie said with a quiet whistle from atop the wagon seat. Evangeline nodded beside her.

"A big one." She agreed.

"I do not think we'll need so much room." Comanche added as they neared the giant mechanical marvel of black iron and steel.

"We'll probably only keep the first five cars. Usually that'll be the engine, the kitchen car, dining car and bedrooms. We'll need the fifth car for supplies." Colt replied. He jumped from the saddle and walked to a closed door on the third car of the train. He wondered why someone had chained and locked it from the outside.

"Colt stop!" Evangeline cried out and Colt's hand froze on the handle of his gun that he'd been preparing to draw and use as a hammer to break the lock.

"Dammit, Evangeline, you're supposed to be keeping your voice down." He growled without looking at her.

"Go ahead then and open the door." She shot back indignantly. "But you'll want to look in that window before you do."

"She's right, Colt." Silas replied slowly. "That train is full of them......"

Colt took a step back and looked in the window to see the rabid that filled the inside. Rotting, salivating, lurching rabid. Some were sitting in seats and some were wandering aimlessly up and down the narrow aisle.

"Shit." Colt stated simply. He jogged up to the next cart and saw that it was locked and full of rabid as well.

"It's a rabid museum." Comanche marveled.

"Why are they all just piled up in there?" Charlotte questioned.

"Probably got sick along the way.... The townsfolk locked 'em in good and tight." Frankie replied, using her crutch to point at the chained lock on the engine car as well.

"How come you didn't warn us that the train would be full of rabid, old man?" Colt grumbled at Jedidiah and the older man shrugged.

"My mind didn't show me that minor detail."

"Minor detail?" Evangeline gasped. "That's an entire train full of rabid!"

Colt shook his head. "We'll have to find somewhere else in this town to sleep tonight and then we'll figure out what we're going to do from here in the morning."

"We have no option but to move on and find another train." Silas spoke up and Comanche rolled his shoulders and laid a hand on the strap that held his bow on his back.

"There are always options."

"Are you insane?!" Rachel demanded loudly from atop her roan mare. "You want to battle an entire train full of those things?!"

"He ain't insane, he's the only one thinking clear. This is the train we need to travel halfway safe out west. And a comfy train seat is a hell of a lot nicer to sleep on than a thin bedroll on rocky ground." Frankie exclaimed.

"This is simply a good way to end up dead." Charlotte countered adjusting the sheet around her that held a slumbering Grace.

Very soon there were so many voices arguing loudly that Colt's head began to pound.

"Enough!" he bellowed and every voice fell silent. "First on the priority list is finding somewhere to sleep for the night. This discussion can wait until we're all tucked in safe."

"Uh... Colt..." Katherine whispered, her arm pointing past his head. Colt didn't have to turn to know that something had changed behind him. He could hear the intense moans and hungry growls and the sound of bodies thudding against the glass windows.

Slowly Colt turned and the sight he was met with had his blood running cold. The rabid in the cart behind him had clearly noticed that food was near. They were crying out with desperation and beating against the windows, streaking blood and gore on the glass as they moved.

Rotting faces and bullet riddled chests were pressed tight against the windows and Colt heard a woman, he wasn't sure which one, gag behind him.

The train carts began to rock as the other rabid heard this car full and joined the hunger-crazed frenzy.

"Get the women back." Colt whispered.

"Colt, what are you going to do?" Evangeline asked and he shook his head.

"Silas, Comanche get everybody somewhere safe. I'll make sure the train is secure and I'll be along."

"You'll need help." Evangeline argued. Colt turned to see that everyone other than her and Ox was listening. She had jumped from the wagon and was walking toward him while Frankie drove the wagon away. "Let me help you check."

All Colt could see was one of these rabid breaking through a window and getting his teeth and claws on all of her pale skin... tearing her apart the way Wallis's children had torn into Sarah and Loralie.

Colt shook his head forcefully and pointed at Ox. "You get her out of here now. Take her with the others. Y'all get locked up somewhere, the livery would probably be best so there's room for the horses and wagons."

"You probably will need help." Ox admitted slowly and Colt's patience snapped.

"Damnation I'm not taking on the entire train of rabid by myself!" he yelled angrily. "I'm just gonna check the windows and the doors."

"But Colt....." Evangeline began and Colt strode toward her, silencing her. He grabbed her upper arm, probably a little too roughly and looked down into those deep emerald green eyes of hers that were so damned beautiful.

"If one gets loose while I'm looking around, the last thing I want to worry about is that it's going to get you. Now go with your brother."

Evangeline moved her eyes from his and looked down at his chest instead. "Will you promise me that you'll be careful?" she asked quietly, her fingertips brushing lightly against his bare forearm as she swiped away some dirt.

Colt nodded, swallowing hard around the lump of emotion in his throat. Emotions were complex things and Colt had never been the type to want to sort through them. He wasn't going to bother now.

"I'll join you at the livery." He promised just before a rather loud bang sounded from the train. Colt shoved her toward Ox who was watching them with brotherly outrage that made Colt roll his eyes. "Go with your brother now."

Evangeline nodded and then Ox pulled her onto his horse and led her quickly away.

Colt didn't watch her leave, choosing to turn his head instead and focus on the train cars full of rabid. He drew his buck knife and held it loosely in his hand, just in case a rabid happened to break free and he needed to quietly take it out in a hurry.

Colt made his way around the train, checking every window and door to ensure that they were secure. He tried to ignore the faces beating against the glass, the long fingers and sharp nails clawing at the panes, desperately reaching for him and the meal he would provide.

Colt came to the last cart and frowned. There were no rabid in this cart but the doors were chained and locked. Why would they bother locking the doors if they weren't trying to keep anyone in?

Colt grabbed a wooden crate from the station platform and carried it to the side of the train car. Climbing up on it he looked in the dusty window, squinting to see what was inside that they could have been trying to keep in.

When Colt saw the bodies he prayed like hell that he was seeing things. Those were families. Men. Women. Children. They were dead. Their bodies were all huddled together as if trying to offer comfort.. Women's dead arms were still holding tight to the tiny babies and children.

Had they been locked in here alive? Why would anyone have locked innocent people in a train car alive? Colt didn't even think much about the danger he might be putting himself in as he put his knife away, pulled his gun, walked to the locked back door and used the handle of it as a club to break the lock.

The chains rattled loudly as he pulled them from the handles and swung open the door. The smell of death and rotting flesh that assaulted his nostrils had him gagging and yanking his bandana from around his neck to cover his nose and mouth.

Colt's eyes burned as he stepped inside and took in the gruesome scene. Quickly his eyes took in the reality of what had happened here. None of these people appeared to have been shot or injured. There was no blood. No bullet holes in the wooden walls. There didn't even appear to be a single weapon among them and Colt figured there wasn't. If one of them had had a gun they would have shot the windows out and escaped.

Had they died of thirst? Colt had nearly died of thirst several times in his life and he wouldn't have wished that on anyone, but especially not on children such as these.

Babies, toddlers, school age boy and girls... Women were cradling the children and men were cradling the women. Had this been families? Or just random townsfolk that the other townsfolk had, for whatever reason, locked up?

Colt figured he'd never know. But he also knew he wouldn't let the women see this. He could only imagine how a scene like this would scar them.. Hell it was taking a toll on Colt himself and he had seen some terrible things in his life.

He quickly stepped over bodies, trying to keep from looking at their faces, which were gray and rotting. Quickly Colt undid the ties on the curtains and let them fall over each window to keep anyone else from seeing in. He then left the train car as quickly as he could and shut the door behind him.

Once out in the open, Colt squatted down and braced his hands on his thighs, taking several deep breaths of the fresh air. His stomach was churning so he swallowed hard several times, willing the contents to stay put.

The sun was setting now and Colt had no desire to be out here after dark. The rabid were still thumping against the windows and Colt was worried that there may be more rabid hidden somewhere in town that would be drawn out by the noise... Colt sure as hell didn't want to be standing out on the street in the dark when they were.

The livery was a good stretch down the road so Colt shoved his bandana in his pocket and took off at a jog, dreading the debate he knew the group would be eager to have and the way they were all going to want him to take their side. Why the hell did he have to be the leader?

***

Ox saw that Katherine looked scared as she sat on a hay bale in the loft and rubbed her arms slowly with her hands. He wanted to climb that ladder and comfort her. Heck, he just wanted to speak to her, but surely she would laugh at him.

"Quit being such a coward and go speak to her." Evangeline whispered from behind him and Ox whirled around to face her, grinning sheepishly as he did so.

"I ain't a coward." he assured her. "And..uh.. who are you talking about?"

Evangeline rolled her eyes at him and crossed her arms over her chest. "Honestly? You know you can't lie to me, Ox. You want to talk to Katherine and you have been wanting to for a week now, so go talk to her!"

"Shit, Evie, I don't know what I'm supposed to say."

Evangeline laughed lightly. "Most conversations start with one simple word."

"And what word is that?" Ox asked, his brow furrowing.

"Hello." Evangeline replied teasingly and Ox chuckled as he rubbed at his neck.

"That easy, huh?"

"Yes, Ox. Now go." Evangeline put her hands on his chest and tried to push him back but he stood fast.

"What about you and Colt?"

Ox knew he'd hit a sensitive spot when Evangeline blushed and immediately began picking at her skirt. "What on earth are you talking about?"

"Shit, Evie, you can't lie to me either. Now what's going on with the two of you?"

"Nothing." Evangeline replied and Ox fixed her with a gaze that he knew their father had used countless times. He also knew that Evangeline hated that look. She glared at him and then sighed. "There's nothing, Ox. He's the single most closed off human being that I know. He doesn't say much of anything at all and he's always either one extreme or the other. Either he's really angry and rude or he's thoughtful and sad. I'm not sure what to make of him."

"He's not a good man for you, Evie."

"That's not your decision to make, Ox." Evangeline snapped. "And besides—" she added with a single shouldered shrug. "--Who said I was the least bit interested in having Colt be my man?"

"Evie..." Ox began warningly but she pointed a finger up toward the loft. Ox couldn't help but laugh whenever Evangeline got grumpy and bossy with him. She wasn't more than five feet tall and her head barely came to the top of his stomach and yet Ox was more scared of her in a temper than he was anyone else.

"Go Ox. Talk to that woman and quit worrying about me and Colt. There is nothing going on for you to be concerned about."

Ox doubted that but he knew when Evangeline was done with a conversation and right now it was clear that she was done. He could also tell that she wasn't going to leave him alone until he climbed that ladder to the loft and spoke to Katherine.

He glanced around at everyone else. Rachel, Jedidiah, Comanche and Frankie were locking all the windows in the stalls as well as the big back and front doors. The smaller side door was still open so that Colt would be able to come in quickly when he finished at the train. Charlotte was feeding Grace in a back stall while Silas saw to all the horses and his mule.

"Time is wasting, big brother. Don't make me talk to her myself."

"You wouldn't!" Ox exclaimed nervously, though he knew full well that Evangeline would. The woman seemed to have no shame. Evangeline quirked up one dainty brow, put her hands on her hips and then took a deep breath. Ox knew she was about to call out to Katherine and he quickly clamped his hand over his sister's mouth.

"Shit, Evie!" he whispered with near panic. "Don't do that, please. I'll go talk to her!"

He felt her smile beneath his hand and he narrowed his eyes at her as she pulled away from him, waved her hand with amusement and then walked away to help Silas with the horses.

Ox couldn't decide whether he was going to vomit or simply shake right off the narrow ladder as he climbed up into the loft. What was he going to say? What if she didn't want to talk to him?

He took a deep breath and tried to swallow his doubts. He wasn't innocent with women so what was he so worried about? He was worried because he'd never actually walked up and tried to talk to a woman. He'd never been given the chance to get to know one. They just wanted a quick roll between the sheets and a discreet goodbye.

Katherine was going to be different, or at least Ox hoped so. She seemed so innocent. So unsure of herself. She was a proper lady and one Ox wanted to spend time simply talking to.

Ox hauled his big frame up onto the loft and Katherine turned her face from the window and looked at him with surprise.

"G..good evening, Miss Kate." Ox stammered with a nervous smile.

"Kate?" Katherine asked and Ox smacked his head.

"Sorry 'bout that, ma'am. I guess I should have asked you if I could call you Kate. Of course I can't. You probably don't even like it. I won't....."

Katherine cut him off with a smile so bright Ox worried the hay itself was going to burst into flames. "I do like it, Ox" She replied assuredly. "I've simply never had anyone call me that before."

"Do you mind if I call you that?" Ox questioned and she shook her head.

"I'd like it if you did."

"Shew.. that's a relief. I was worried you'd be angry."

Ox was sure he saw confusion on Katherine's face and then she motioned at a bale of hay across from her. "Do you want to sit down?"

"Yeah!" Ox exclaimed and then he realized that he'd probably sounded a bit too eager. "Uh.. sure, Miss Kate. If you don't mind." he added much more stoically.

Katherine laughed lightly and shook her head, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "No, I don't mind."

Ox wasn't sure how, since his legs were shaking like a couple of leaves in the middle of a raging twister, but he somehow managed to make it to the hay bale without falling flat on his face; which was probably a good thing since the livery was a bit rickety and he was a heavy man. He probably would have went plumb through if he'd crashed down on the weathered boards.

"Why were you up here sittin' all alone, Miss Kate? " Ox asked once he'd taken his seat. He'd noticed more and more over the last few days that Katherine seemed to be off by herself most of the time. It made him sad to think of her lonely when everyone else had someone. Well all except for Colt but that man seemed like the kind of man who didn't want or need anyone else.

"I was just thinking." Katherine replied, her gaze going back to the window.

"About what?" Ox questioned, scratching at his itching shin.

Katherine sighed wistfully and Ox became transfixed by the way the setting sun cast an orange glow over her face.

"The past.. the future.. Don't you ever think about it all?"

"I'm not much good at thinking Miss Kate. Never have been the type of man who does much of it." Ox meant what he was saying. He'd been told by his pa more than once that thinking just wasn't his strong point and he needed to avoid it whenever he could. No one had seemed to ever disagree with that statement, except maybe Evangeline, but Ox knew that was just because she was so fond of him. His little sister would say anything just to try to make him feel good.

It seemed though that Katherine thought he was joking as she threw her head back and laughed. Her laughter wasn't the mean or condescending laughter he'd heard his whole life whenever he spoke; instead it was happy and good natured and Ox found himself mesmerized by the sound.

Katherine smiled as she looked at him, her green eyes sparkling. "This world would probably be a better place if we all tried to think a little less." She shrugged. "We'd all probably be happier anyway."

"Yes, ma'am, Miss Kate. I'm usually pretty happy so I'd say you're right about that."

"I don't believe I've ever met anyone quite like you, Ox." Katherine admitted and Ox grinned.

"That's a good thing I hope."

Katherine simply smiled. Ox liked that she wasn't acting like a woman who simply wanted to jump into a bed with him—of course up here it would be a hay bale. He wanted to think and hope that Evangeline had been right and he didn't have to be that man he'd been... He hoped that Katherine would be the woman to want more from him than that. Though truthfully he had no idea how to be more.

Before either of them could say anything else the side door slammed shut and Colt came into the barn.

"He looks upset." Katherine stated and then Ox watched as she scurried off the loft and down the ladder. Ox felt his stomach twist a little. Looked like Katherine wasn't interested in him after all.... She sure had left him in a quick hurry just as soon as the other man had stepped in.

Ox watched as Katherine walked to Colt and while he couldn't hear what Katherine said, he saw Colt shake his head and walk around her, striding to a stall with his horse in tow. Ox shook his head. Colt didn't even realize that a good woman was interested in him.

Then Ox's temper rose when Evangeline walked to the stall that Colt was currently inside of. He saw Evangeline say something and waited for Colt to turn her away the way he had Katherine but instead Colt lowered his head a little and said something in return that had Evangeline nodding and laying a gentle hand on his forearm.

Ox wasn't happy. He didn't want to be like their pa, trying to tell Evangeline who she had to marry but Colt was not the type of man he wanted for his sister. He didn't know everything about Colt's past but he knew the man had been an outlaw. A law breaking man who did what he wanted and didn't care if it was right or wrong. Surely that kind of man would hurt Evangeline.......

"Everybody, let's finish securing everything here for the night. Colt said the train seems secure enough and he is not too concerned about any rabid getting loose from it." Evangeline called out as she walked from the stall. "And I think we can all agree that we need to have a long discussion about what we're going to do come morning."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201 92 35
A Story Related to 'The Dead Don't Talk', about the villain of the story, who you are soon to meet in the next book of the zombies series... This is...
33.9K 920 48
Infected. They plagued the city, the people and nowhere was safe. How do you live in a world where every breath could be your last, one bite could ta...
1.1K 52 34
What would you do if one second you were struggling to survive with your friends and mother in tow, and then you wake up to find yourself with a grou...
2K 341 26
"Dreams. Everyone human has them. Some believe in them. Some think it's a pigment of their own imaginations. It's soothing to see yourself in a beaut...