Cold Water (Dark Niall)

By smileyourepretty

Renee Delilah Parker would describe herself in three words: crazy, ambitious, and fun. She's not your average... More

Summary
1: "I feel like I'm about to throw up in my mouth every time I see him."
2: "He has a brain?"
3: "You're an asshole."
4: "Do you always scream when you wake up?"
5: "Oh please, your ego is bigger than your dick."
6: "You're an idiot, you know that, right?"
7: "You're crazy, I swear to God."
8: "Just stop whining because my head is gonna explode."
10: "Don't flatter yourself."
11: "Asshole."
12: "Don't go around punching walls anymore please."
13: "Did you lose your finger in Zoe's vagina last night?"
14:"I hate it when you're right."
15: "None of my business who you kiss."
16:"Oh wow, you're so full of yourself."
17: "You're afraid of me?"
18: "You don't understand."
19: "Leave me alone."
Questions and Answers
20: "Fine. Fuck you."
21:"I didn't think you'd stoop so low."
22:"You smell good."
23:"Just friends."
24:"So why are you touching me?"
25: "Oh, baby, someone already did"
26: "Is this a bad idea?"
27:"Do you like flattering yourself?"
28:"Everything about this is extremely illegal."
29: "You're drunk."
30: "I'm neither affectionate nor romantic."
31: "You're always trying to start a fight."
32: "I can fucking smell you. Go away."
33: "You sure?"

9: "Oh shit, I think we might become friends."

13.6K 1.1K 572
By smileyourepretty

Thank you so much for the feedback and support on the last chapter :) I wrote this chapter in a day, and although it might not be as interesting as the last one, I really like it because they get closer in this one.

The next chapter is already in the works and I think I might be able to post in on Saturday, if not tomorrow, but no promises!

Thank you so much for everything :) keep commenting, i always read and reply!

Happy reading :)

p.s. Please check out the notes at the end of the chapter and answer my questions x

----

Previously in chapter 8:

As the rest of the group walks in front of us through the parking lot towards the car, I ask him what happened last night. The only thing I remember is me getting so wasted he had to carry me on his back to get some food (not my proudest moment) and then everything is sort of a blur.

"Well, you were so drunk I had to carry you to get food." He says, but I know he's hiding stuff.

"Hm...so did we do anything?"

"Like what?" he asks, putting his hands into the pockets of his jeans and smiling.

"Like...I don't know. Ugh. Stuff. Kissing? Hooking up?"

"Well, you did straddle me at some point and kissed me like there was no tomorrow."

I make a face. "Anything else? How did I get into my nightgown?"

"You told me to undress you. And take your makeup off."

"Huh. So that's why I didn't have mascara and eyeliner all over my face when I woke up. Thanks."

"No worries."

We load up the trunk of the car but I know he's smirking at me, which means that I also said some stupid shit.

"Niall. I know I said some other things. Don't hide it." I plead when I make sure everyone else is in the car.

"Well...you also asked me to fuck you."

I look at him incredulously.

"I don't believe that."

I don't believe it not because I don't want him to do that, but because I would NEVER tell him that. EVER.

"Well, you did." He says, closing the trunk.

"And what did you say?"

"I said you were drunk and that you should go to sleep."

"So you wouldn't like that." I state, crossing my arms over my chest. How in the world are we having this conversation right now?

"I didn't say that."

"Then what did you say? And don't lie to me. I'm an old lady who doesn't remember what she said because she got shit-faced."

Niall laughs. "Well, I told you that I would."

Then I remember. "You said we'd do it sometime if we got high at your place! I remember."

"So you're lying and actually do remember."

I shake my head. "Just this."

"Well then. That's it."

"Okay, but just so you know, it's never gonna happen." I tell him and walk towards the driver's door.

"Okay."

As I climb into the seat, I text Jake.

Rey: we have to meet ASAP tonight.

Rey: HUGE Niall news and crawings

At the next stoplight, I check my phone.

Jake: B

Jake: I

Jake: T

Jake: C

Jake: H

Jake: Something happened with Harry too

----

Rey's POV

Jake sits down across from me with our Starbucks orders later that evening. I just love being a basic white girl with him, he's like my therapist and best friend and parent all in one.

Rey: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=226693706

"So. Tell me." Is all he says and props an elbow on the table, before he places his head in his palm and looks at me expectantly.

I tell him everything that happened, from start to finish-or at least what I recall and what I can fill in from what Niall told me. He doesn't interrupt me once, so when I'm finished he's silent.

"Shit." Is all Jake says as he sips his Frappuccino.

"So? Any theories? Advice?"

"Well, for one. You're pretty much fucked."

I roll my eyes. "Thanks. As if I didn't already know that."

"Second of all, I ship you two so hard, you have no idea. Third...well, you might as well just fuck since you both know you want it."

After a while of contemplation, I finally ask him what happened with Harry.

"Okay, so. We kissed." He bluntly says and my mouth falls open. "And fucked."

I nearly spill my coffee all over the table but I catch it just in time. "Excuse me what? Jake, for fuck's sake! I've been gone for one  day and the world is crashing down under my nose! How? When? WHY?"

"Well...he invited me over to help him with biology and one thing led to another and we ended up in bed. That's pretty much it."

I don't know how to cope with this information. First Niall and I get along, which is a clear sign of the apocalypse that's about to come...and now Jake and Harry?

"But...Louis?" I ask.

"He doesn't know. And I hope it stays that way okay? Don't tell Niall or...anyone really. Don't tell anyone, because I promised I won't tell but of course you don't count when I say that."

I hold his hand over the table and look him in the eye. "Well, we're both fucked."

"Literally."

***

It's Monday. And I'm crying. Because it's Monday. Honestly, Monday should be the international day of crying, because I hate it so much. Therefore, I'm wearing my FUCK Chanel shirt.

Rey+Niall: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=226593357

The first three periods pass by like hell, so when it finally rings for lunch, I jump out of my seat and make a beeline for the cafeteria.

Jake is already waiting for me at our usual table (how is he so fucking fast??) with Jason and Sophia. I grab the usual menu-an apple, a salad and a bottle of water, before I go to sit down next to them.

"So, there's a party on Friday." Sophia says. "Liam told me about it. His sister is promoting this new club and they're starting with a kitch party."

"Huh?" Jason asks, confused.

"So basically you have to come dressed in something really kitchy that doesn't match."

"A great opportunity to wear all my clothes that don't match with anything in my closet." I laugh.

"Oh, shut the fuck up. Your closet is the size of China." Jake pouts.

I pout. He's right.

"Also, let's not forget that this is the ideal opportunity for Rey to hook up with Niall."

"Alright, I'm gonna throw up. See ya later." Jason says and gets up from the table. He grabs his tray and walks over to where Lilly Horan and her friends are sitting. He probably used this opportunity to pie us off and sit with her.

"What's this about Rey and Niall? Did I miss something?" Sophia asks, annoyed. She's always annoyed when she feels left out by our close bond.

I fill her in with everything that happened this weekend and to say she's shocked would be an understatement.

"You told him to fuck you." She states. I nod. "And she said he'll do that at his place?" I nod again.

"Well, I'm not sure how he said it exactly because I was mortal, but something along those lines.

"Fuck." She breathes.

"What's fucked?" Niall asks and sits down across from me, followed by Liam.

"Nothing." The three of us say at the same time, which is nothing but suspicious and obvious.

"We were talking about the kitch party on Friday. You coming, right?" Jake asks, getting into his wingman role.

"Of course." Niall says. "I've got nothing better to do."

"Or not someone better to do." Sophia interjects and I look down at my food.

"Well, that's not exactly true." Niall tells her.

"Really? Who is it then?" Jake asks.

"Perrie."

Jake and I exchange looks. I forgot about her. Speaking of which, I was supposed to hear from her about the first dance gig our trainer signed us up for.

I text her about it while the rest of the group chats about the party on Friday. Then I think about what I'm going to wear. Some things come to mind: clothes that I wouldn't normally wear but my mother bought nonetheless because they were expensive.

My thoughts are interrupted by Perrie's text.

Perrie: i was just about to text you; we have a meeting on Wednesday at 5pm to discuss dance routines

I send her a kissy face emoji before I lock my screen and look back up. I make eye contact with Niall, and after holding it for way too long for it to be normal, I avert my eyes to join the conversation.

***

"We have a test today." Jake says at the lunch table on Wednesday while we're eating.

"Huh?" Niall and I ask at the same time.

Rey+Niall: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=226593664

"Yeah, in history. I studied for it the whole weekend. Almost. It's like, ten pages worth of stuff." Jake complains.

"There's no way I'm taking the test." I say and look down at my watch. If I go now, I can still get out of school without the hallway patrol shoving me into class.

"Yeah, me neither." Niall agrees and then looks at me. "Want to ditch?"

Okay what? Since when have we become friends? And when did this whole him-sitting-with-us-at-lunch thing happen?

"Sure." I say anyway. "But we have to go now if we don't want someone stopping us on the way out."

Niall nods and we stand up at the same time, and then we greet the rest of the group and head towards the exit. I know that if the school calls my parents they probably won't even answer and by the time they'll have checked their voicemails I'll have taken the test already.

I stop at my locker to leave my stuff in it and then we're off towards the exit.

"Where to?" I ask Niall as I unlock my car from a distance.

"The mall? I don't know."

I nod as I climb up into my Rover and slam the door behind me. Then I wait for him to get in as well before I speed out of the parking lot.

"Jesus, drive slower." He says as he clings on to the handle above his head.

I get us both safe to the mall (much to his surprise) and park the car in the underground parking lot. As we head towards the elevator, my phone vibrates.

Birthgiver: I'm going to be home tonight at 7! :)

I roll my eyes at my mother's message and don't reply. I can't be bothered right now.

We head towards the food court but I stop when I see a really cute top. "Wait, let's go in for a bit." I tell him and grab his arm.

"No, Rey. Please don't. I can't do this."

"Do what?" I ask as I pull him after me into TOPSHOP.

"Wait around as you go shopping."

"I'm not gonna shop around, I swear. I just got a text from my mother saying she'll be home tonight which means she bought me an entire new wardrobe, again." I say, sounding annoyed even though any other girl would have sounded please and thankful.

"You say that like it's a bad thing. Do you know how much some girls would like to be in your place?" he asks as I take the top I saw in the window.

"Yeah, I know. But I'd prefer a mother who's there for me and listens to me and is my best friend over my own, shopaholic, snobby mother."

He's silent as I browse through the racks for shoes and jeans.

"You know what I realized?" he asks.

"Hm?"

"That you're not a snobby rich girl, you were just brought up that way."

I look at him. "And?"

"And it's a better opinion than I had before."

I place a hand over my heart. "Oh shit, I think we might become friends."

Niall shakes his head as I push some clothes into his arms.

"Please don't tell me you want to try all these on."

"God no, I never try stuff on. Maybe jeans, but I know my size."

"Oh wow, it's a miracle." He sarcastically says and we head towards the checkout table.

The total comes out to be three hundred pounds so I give them my debit card.

"If I had your money, I'd buy Vans all day everyday." He tells me when we exit the store.

"If you had my card, you'd get bored."

Niall doesn't say anything, which probably means I've freaked him out somehow, but for some reason I can't be dishonest with him.

We get to the food court and get menus from KFC, because why not?

"So what can your mother buy you this time? You've got everything you need already." He says, probably trying to make conversation.

"Well...the she can give us the one thing that doesn't cost anything, but for her it's easier to buy stuff I guess. I don't know, she's been shooting in Italy for a month, so I guess it's Gucci, Prada, Armani...Versace. I don't know. The only good thing is that she buys us stuff we actually wear, not overpriced dresses that look just like some dresses you can buy at H&M. Honestly, some clothes are so fucking expensive for no reason at all. They're just...boring, but expensive. And people buy them because they're designer clothes. What a fucking idiocy."

He looks at me with disbelief. "Wow, you're really on about it."

I shrug. "It's getting old, and one day I think I'm gonna snap."

"And what about your father?" he asks.

"Well, he bought me my car and stuff like that. He's not one who knows his way around clothes."

Niall looks at me. "I wish my dad bought me stuff every time he pissed me off. I'd own a Ferrari by now."

Before I can ask him about his dad, because I've never seen him nor heard anything else about him, plus the "I wish he were dead" fiasco from the park, my phone beeps.

Perrie:  where r u?

Rey: at the mall, ditched the history test

Perrie: what test? It's next week

I frown at my phone but don't say anything. Was this a stupid thing Jake did to get Niall and I to go together somewhere? Because it was a long shot. But it worked, the clever motherfucker.

After we finish our food we go browsing through other shops, and although I'm trying to work out a way to ask him about his that, I can't.

"I'll drive you home." I tell him when we reach my car, an hour later. It's already half past four and I have to go to the dance rehearsal.

"It's fine, I can take the bus."

"No, come on. I have to be at dance rehearsals at five and it's on my way."

That's a lie.

"Alright." Niall agrees.

I remember how his house looks from that time his mother drove me home in the Uber, but I don't say anything about it. He's told me that his mother works as a nurse at the hospital, so she probably chauffeurs in her free time to make more money.

He thanks me and gets out of the car, before I drive towards the dancing studio.

***

As it turns out, we'll open Katy Perry's show in London in two months, which is a huge gig and we each get paid two thousand pounds. Everyone is excited about it, but by the time I get home and see a Lamborghini (my mother's, of course) parked in the driveway, my excitement fades. The fact that she upgraded from Bentley to Ferrari means that she feels guiltier than ever before for being gone so long, so she tried to make herself feel better by buying herself a new car.

She's waiting for me in the living room, and Jason's face tells me everything I need to know. It's gone from bad to worse.

"I've brought presents." She sings and hugs me. No "how have you been", nothing. How lovely. It's insulting that she thinks she can buy our love, even after all these years. "The bags are in your room. Poor Rosa had to make a hundred trips up the stairs, I'm thinking of putting an elevator in our house."

She says 'our house' like she actually lives here. Jason and I exchange looks and I know he just thought the same thing.

"Well kids, dinner's ready." She says.

"Ooh. What is it this time? Chinese takeout?" I ask.

"No, I cooked. Pot roast and mashed potatoes."

Okay what?

Our dad is already at the dinner table, pouring wine into his and her glass.

"What's the occasion?" I ask, knowing something's about to come. There's no way she cooks (once every ten years, mind you) without wanting something from us.

"Okay. There's this gala." My mother starts.

There it is.

"Alexander released his winter collection and he's launching it in London on Saturday. He invited all of us to come along, and of course, he wants to meet you." She continues, looking at me.

"Alexander who?"

"Alexander Wang, you know, the designer? I got you that really cute crop top when his first line came out."

I nod.

"Well, he really likes you and he'd like you to model some clothes for him."

"No way." I shake my head. "I'm not going to model the runway or anything."

"Not runway model, you're too short for that. He wants you to appear on his website wearing his clothes. And the pay is great."

"Fine. I'll think about it."

"Also." She adds. "You should bring Jed along with you."

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen. We're not in a relationship anymore."

She makes a face. "Oh no? Then bring someone else as your date."

"I'll ask Jake. Or Niall." I say without even thinking.

"Niall Horan?" my dad asks and my mother nods at him.

"Since when are you two friends?" my father continues, seeming pretty interested about the subject. Since when does he care about my friends or who I'm associated with?

"Since when do you care?" I ask. "How do you two even know about him?" I remember a few weeks ago when my mother made a face at me when I mentioned his name and told me to be nice to him.

"I know his family. Three kids." Dad says. Three kids? I had no idea there was one more child. Then again, Niall doesn't share much about his family that extends past Lilly.

"How? Will someone tell me what's going on?"

Jason and I look at each other confused. When no one says anything, I ask again, this time getting impatient and frustrated.

"His mother is my client."

"What's going on?" Jason asks.

"It's all about client confidentiality you know. So I hope you two don't run your mouths." My dad says.

Shit, it's serious. If our father is willing to break the law by telling us about his cases more than we need to know, then it must be really fucking serious.

"His mother is one of my clients. I've known her for about five years now. Maura's husband is...was, actually, an alcoholic."

"He's dead?" Jason gasps.

"No, he's in prison."

My stomach drops, because I have an idea about where this could go.

"For what?" Jason asks, not really sure whether he wants to hear his answer.

"For beating his family senseless. He was a mean drunk-he lost his job at a factory six years ago and began drinking, which led to domestic abuse. He beat his wife for about a year, and when Niall was old enough to be a bit stronger then him, he hit back."

I try to do math in my head. "So he was...thirteen? Jesus Christ."

My father nods. "Whenever he tried to protect his mother, he'd get a beating. And they got worse and worse, until Maura finally decided to step up and called my firm."

"How can they afford it though? Dad, I know you're expensive I hope you don't ask them for money-" I say and he interrupts me.

"I know. I told the firm I'd take her as my pro bono case that year, but they refused."

"Refused?" Jason stammers.

"Yes, they refused, so I paid myself so to speak. I paid their bills and everything, but I told Maura that it's pro bono so she wouldn't feel bad and suddenly take back the charges of assault."

"Do their kids know you're doing this?" I ask.

"She told me she told them, but I don't know. I only meet and talk to her."

And then it downs on me. Niall doesn't know, otherwise he'd be weird around me and wouldn't do things to piss me off.

"Anyway, his father was one of the worst abusers I've ever met in my life, they had to take him to trial in handcuffs and everything."

"How long does he stay in prison?"

"Three years. Too short, if you ask me. But when he got out he violated his parole and was sent back one year. He's to be released in a month, but I don't think the kids know."

My heart aches, but I don't feel pity, I feel compassion. So strong, it's about to burst out of me. So that's why Niall wishes his father were dead. And why he told Jed to never hit a woman. It all makes sense.

There's a heavy silence around the table, and I can see Jason worrying already, but I know he won't say anything to Lilly; he'd be stupid to do so.

"I'd appreciate it if you two didn't say anything to them. Please. I really want to help them until the end. We're working on a long overdue restraining order for when he gets out."

"Can I take him to the gala?" I ask, trying to change the subject. "I swear, he's nothing like his father."

"Of course you can." My mother says. "Just make sure he dressed appropriately.

I nod, rolling my eyes.

As soon as the dinner is over and my parents settle on the couch with two glasses of wine to watch a movie, I sneak into my dad's office on the first floor.

I trace the binders aligned neatly on the shelves until I get to the letter H. I find the Horan binder, but before I open it, I wonder whether it's a good idea. I shouldn't be doing this, it isn't fair. But, at the same time, I can't not look. So I open it.

There are a lot of statements and signed papers and bills, all of which my dad paid. Together, they add up to nearly half a million pounds. Then, as I get to the last page, my heart drops and crumbles.

There are photos. Explicit photos. Photos I wished I'd never seen.

The first one is of a pregnant Maura, with a face so badly beat I would've barely recognized her if it weren't for the my father's neat writing on the back of it. The next one is of ten-year-old Lilly, with a black eye dated 08.03.2011 and of thirteen-year-old Niall with a broken nose, dated the same. My eyes start to water, but I keep turning the pages. One more of Maura, this time not pregnant, dated 16.11.2016. Almost a year ago, when he violated his parole and they reported it.

The next one is of a really small boy, named Eddie, who can't be more than four, who has really bad bruises on his arms, dated 16.11.2016. The last three are dated 17.11.2016, all of Niall. I can't look at them.

The first one shows his face: a black eye, broken nose, busted lip and bruised cheeks. The second one is of his arms and chest. He's got scars and bruises all over his chest, cuts made by knives and punches and it's horrible. The last one is of his back and it's so horrible I can barely look. He has about ten stab wounds all over his back and nail scratches that go on for miles. He's bleeding everywhere and I'm crying now.

Then, at the bottom of the page, my dad has written 'Niall, 18, 20-21 broken ribs from kicking and beating with chair. 12 stab wounds'. Jesus Christ, his father broke almost all of his ribs.

I close the binder, tears streaming down my cheek and put it back. I hate myself for looking at it.

***

I didn't go to school on Thursday, nor on Friday. I was so shocked I couldn't even get out of bed. The images still haunted me. After school on Friday, Jason comes into my room and droops down on the bed. I'm on my side, under the covers, like I've been for two days straight.

"How can someone get on with their life after something like this?" he asks, and I know right then and there that he also looked for the binder. It wasn't hard, it's something we always did when we were little, playing around in our father's office, looking through photos of guns found in hiding dens of criminals and bags of drugs hidden under tables. Until one day, our father found us playing with those and screamed at us, so we never returned.

"You looked, didn't you?" I ask and he nods.

"I just...did you see Niall? Honestly. I'm shook." He says and lays down next to me on the bed. "They're so strong Rey. And we complain about our mother who buys us stuff, as if it's the worst thing in the world."

I pout and brush a strand of hair out of his eyes. "You didn't say anything, right?"

"No way. I'd never. The thing is, she expects me to be at the party tonight."

I sigh. I've been getting texts from Jake, Sophia and even one from Niall, asking where I'd disappeared, but I didn't reply. I know I have to go to the party and I also know that I have no right to be mad or sad about it because the whole situation isn't even about me. But I feel so strongly for Niall and Lilly and the entire family that's been through so much. It's surprising how much it affected me.

I stand out of bed. "Jase, come on. They're safe now and we have to be happy about it, okay? This situation has nothing to do with us, we have no right to dwell about it. It's not fair to act as we're the ones who went through it."

He nods and sits up. "Act normal tonight okay?"

I look at the clock on my night table. It's past five and I had no idea. "Be ready at eleven. I'll call an Uber. We're also picking Jake and Sophia up."

***

I look through the things my mother bought me for the first time since Rosa dropped them in my walk-in closet three days ago. I instantly find a colored faux fur vest that I can wear, some really ugly Zanotti heeled ankle boots and a sparkly D&G fringed corset. What was my mother thinking?

My Ralph Lauren neon green leather jacket waits for me in the closet with the tag still on it (what was I thinking??) and I complete the outfit with some white and blue bleached Balmain shorts I never got to wore because I bought them at the end of summer.

Rey+Niall: https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=226593818

I look ridiculous, but hey, that's the theme of the party, isn't it?

As I put my makeup on, images of Niall's photos flash through my mind and I try to shake them off by applying so much highlighter, I'd be blinded and won't be able to remember them.

It's 10:55pm when I'm done and after I make sure Jason's ready as well, I text Jake and Sophia that I'm on my way. Then I look for an Uber. The first driver who responds is Maura, and my heart sinks. She probably doesn't even know who I am, so I don't cancel it.

When Jason and I greet her as we climb into the car, he looks at me knowingly. I subtly nod and we don't say anything else until we pick up Jake.

"Where have you been you bitch?" is how he greets me.

"I've been sick." I tell him.

"With horrible coughs and everything." Jason adds and I smile. I'm sort of morbidly glad that I'm not the only one who knows about the situation. Then I shake my head, feeling guilty, because it's not my situation and there's no way in the world I'll ever be able to understand what they went through and feel what they felt.

When we pick up Sophia I tell her exactly what I told Jake and then we're off to the club.

"Shit, you're really dressed for the theme." Jake says when I get out of the car and he gets to look properly at my outfit. "Don't tell me that those shoes are designer, because they're as ugly as the mole I have on my ass."

I roll my eyes. "They're Zanotti. My mother, go figure."

Everyone's outside, and we learn that they only open at half past eleven, so we go to greet our group.

"My god." Niall says when he sees me. "You went out of your way for this party."

I shrug. "At least I get to wear things I'd never worn on any other occasion."

I pull out a cigarette and he lights it for me. I see Lilly talking to Jason and I wonder if they check IDs. Then I remember they got fake ones. I wish I had a fake ID when I was younger and didn't have to wait to turn eighteen to go to a club.

"You're not even dressed properly." I notice as I scan his outfit. He's wearing a white shirt, dark jeans, Vans (of course) and a grey jacket.

"Well, I'm not one for theme parties."

Jake is looking at us like he's at a tennis match, but Harry decides to make an appearance so his attention diverts and he leaves.

"They fucked." Niall tells me nonchalantly and I cough out smoke.

"What? How did you know?"

"Just a hunch." He smirks. "And I was told. By Louis."

"Louis knows?" I hiss so people won't hear us.

"He does. Harry told him."

I make a weird face. "And how does Louis feel about it?"

"Can't stand Jake now."

I shake my head before I take another drag. "Well, it is what it is."

"So where have you been for the past three days?"

I pout. "Aww, you missed me?"

"No." he rolls his eyes. "Just had no one to ditch with."

Speaking of which, I haven't confronted Jake about that scheme yet.

"Be right back." I say and walk towards Jake and Harry.

"You lied about the test to get me to ditch with Niall?" I ask Jake and he nods, without even trying to hide it.

"Worked though, didn't it?" he smirks and swings an arm around Harry's shoulder.

"Did you hook up then?" Harry asks and I shake my head.

"I can't hook up on command."

"I can." Jake says and Harry laughs. I leave them be, but when I get back to Niall, he's chatting to Perrie. She's twisting a strand of hair around her finger and I sort of feel...jealous. But just sort of. Just a tiny little bit.

"I was just inviting Niall to the gig." Perrie tells me when she sees me watching them.

"Oh."

"We get one ticket each you know." she continues and I make a fake surprised face. I knew that, they told us. I have no idea who to give it to, but knowing Jake, he probably already has a ticket to see Katy, which means I'll give it to Sophia and there will be no argument.

"Who are you giving it to? Jake and Harry already have tickets."

"Sophia." I tell her and lick my lips.

There's a loud cheer and applause, so I look towards the entrance and the doors are opened. People start to get in line and we do the same.

"I have to get back to the girls, see you inside." Perrie says and winks before she's off.

Niall and I stand next to each other with a ten-pound note in hand.

"You're jealous." He states and I look at him, my eyebrows reaching my hairline.

"As if." I say.

"You were killing her with your looks." He laughs.

"Don't flatter yourself baby."

He doesn't say anything after that and Sophia, Jake, Harry, Liam and Zayn join us. I forgot Zayn even existed; he's been MIA at school. Jake told me that he spends all day with Gigi and her crowd, and they're hipsters so they eat outside every day instead of the cafeteria and barely even bother showing up to class.

The club looks great: it's big and has large booths for large groups, which is rare. The prices are alright(ish) and the DJ is playing great songs.

"Tell your sister she did a great job." I yell at Liam after we've sat down in our booths.

"Thanks." He says and gives me a genuine smile, which lets me know that he's very proud as well.

He turns to the rest of the group and shouts:

"To celebrate that the first night was sold out and the club is full, my sister told me that our table gets free drinks the whole night! So order away!"

Everyone cheers and we order two Apple Cîroc bottles right away. Everyone's having a great time, standing up around the table and dancing with drinks in their hand, and I know I'm going to get drunk again tonight.

***

I'm right by the speakers near the DJ booth, dancing my ass off with my third glass in hand. I know Niall's somewhere close, I can literally smell him, but Sophia and Liam are blocking my view.

I close my eyes for a second, trying to let the bass go through my entire body, when someone places a hand on my shoulder. It's Niall.

"Hii." I say in a seductive tone, or at least a tone I think (and hope) is seductive.

His hand slides from my shoulder to my waist and he presses his lips to my ear.

"You need to get outside now, Jason's been in a fight!" he yells, and I instantly feel like I'm not tipsy anymore, yet the world is still spinning, but not from the alcohol.

Niall takes my hand in his and guides me through the mass of people piled up on the dancefloor, until I'm outside. I see Jake-my brother's friend, not my Jake- crouching down next to my brother, who's got a bloody a bloody nose and a busted lip.

"What the hell happened?" I yell at him.

"This guy pulled Lilly's hair and I just went mental." He says and my heart instantly drops, because I know what he thought when it happened and why he went ballistic.

"Where's the guy?" I ask.

"I took care of him." Niall tells me and my eyes widen.

"How did you take care of him?"

"Got him a taxi and sent him home. I don't really like violence."

Jason and I share a look.

"Where's Lilly now?"

Jason points towards a group of girls huddled around Lilly a bit further away.

"We have to get you to a hospital or something. Come on. Your nose might be broken." I tell my brother and help him up from where he was sitting on the curb.

"I'll come with you. Let me just take Lilly." Niall says.

We wait for him as he talks to her, and then he comes back alone.

"She's going home with a friend. They already ordered a taxi." He says so I nod and look for one myself.

***

The hospital's waiting room isn't that crowded, so Niall and I take a seat while I'm filling out Jason's health insurance form and wait for him to get stitched up.

"Your dad's name is Bryan?" Niall asks, looking over my shoulder. "What's his job?"

I bite my lip. "He's a lawyer."

"Oh." He says, his voice barely audible. He knows. But at least he doesn't know I know.

"What?" I ask, trying to play dumb.

"Nothing, I heard of him. Really good lawyer."

"Yeah." I agree and we don't say anything after that.

After a few more minutes filled with silence, I remember the gala so I switch the subject. Sort of.

"So there's this 'gala' tomorrow night, one of my mother's friends is hosting to promote his new winter collection. And my mother told me to bring my boyfriend, but I'm not with Jed anymore, and Jake's pretty much too gay to pass as my boyfriend, so I thought I'd ask you."

Niall looks at me with an amused expression. "You're asking me to be your boyfriend?"

"Just for tomorrow night."

"Well, I don't come cheap." He smirks.

I roll my eyes. "So do you want to come or not?"

"Sure. I have to dress fancy though, right?"

I nod. "Pretty much. It's a black tie event."

"So I have to wear a black tie?"

"You have to wear a suit and tie." I tell him.

Niall frowns.  "Then why isn't it called a suit and tie event?"

I laugh. "That's just how things are."

"Fine, I'll manage to find a decent suit by tomorrow."

Jason, who comes out of a room with a doctor in tow, interrupts our banter.

"I'd like to speak to a parent about the course of treatment he's to follow for the next few days." The doctor says and I stand up.

"You can tell me." I say, not wanting our parents to come here.

"I need a parent though." The doctor insists.

"They're not here." Jason tells him.

"Then I'll give them a call. He has two stiches on his mandibular bone and they need to be taken care of. Also, his broken nose..."

I sigh and the doctor takes it as an answer, because he turns to his assistant and tells her to contact Jason's emergency contact.

A few minutes later, the doctor comes back out.

"Your parents are on their way here." He lets us know. "Let me know when they've arrived. I'm sorry if they didn't need to know about the situation, but he's a minor so I need a legal guardian for this."

"What for? For a couple of stitches and a broken nose? Honestly." I argue.

"No, it's something more important. I'd really like to talk to your parents. It's urgent."

"What is it?" I push, getting worried by the minute.

"I can't tell you. I need to speak to your parents."

My heart feels like it's going to jump out of my chest, and not because my parents are on their way here or anything. It's because the doctor has a poker face and another doctor just joined him, so now they're talking in hushed voices.

"Is it bad?" Jason asks, a worried expression taking over his face.

"No, but if you hadn't gotten into a fight just now, it could have been disastrous."

---

Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat: ronniebennett94

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ronniebennett.tumblr.com/

Follow Rey on Instagram: http://instagram.com/rey_parker

Follow Rey on Tumblr: http://www.rey-parker.tumblr.com

Follow Rey on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rey_parker

Follow Niall on Instagram: http://instagram.com/nialltdb

Follow Niall on Tumblr: http://niall-tdb.tumblr.com

Follow Niall on Twitter: http://twitter.com/niall_tdb

Follow Jake on Instagram, Twitter and Tumblr: jakemalikbitch

----

Hope you liked it; let me know what your favorite/least favorite part was here :D

Here are some questions:

1. what do you think might be wrong my jason? why do his parents have to come to the hospital?

2. will niall tell her about his dad? or will he find out rey knows?

3. should they hook up soon or should i drag it out?

4. what should happen in the next chapter? what would you like to see?

I'm really pleased with this chapter, hope you were as well! Let me know on Twitter which your favorite quotes were, they make my day :)

p.s. Follow them on Instagram, Twitter and Wattpad if you want previews of the upcoming chapters !

xoxo,

Ronnie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

234K 7.9K 52
This is my story to tell and I am going to tell it. This story is about a boy, he was so broken before he met the loves of his live. Louis William To...
352K 10.1K 40
It was just supposed to be a game, nothing serious. Just an innocent little prank. But it turned out to be rather hard, harder than what Sam thought...
190K 4.2K 90
[this is the story of how i learned to live. but don't worry! it's kind of a fun one.] - ❝No, Niall, you don't get it! Our mom left me at a fire stat...
15.7M 324K 100
I hate her, I hate her, I fucking hate her. If she died right now, I wouldn't care. My main concern would be how I would get my money for this stunt...