Dragon Blood

By mwendlandt

"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed... More

One: Escape
Two: A Life for a Life
Three: More Than They Bargained For
Four: Still The Princess
Five: Time for a Party
Six: Sore Feet
Seven: Threat of Exposure
Eight: Orion
Nine: Uncertain Plans
Ten: Missing
Eleven: Magnificent
Twelve: Taking Care
Thirteen: Home
Fourteen: Found
Fifteen: Two Sides of a Coin
Sixteen: Lavender
Seventeen: Handsome
Eighteen: Blue
Nineteen: They Are Kings
Twenty: Alpha, Beta, and the Next in Line
Twenty-One: Time for the Truth
Author's Note: THANK YOU
Twenty-Two: Do You Promise?
Twenty-Three: You're a Danger to Everyone
Twenty-Four: Wounded Bird
Twenty-Five: Tossing, Turning, and Whispered Conversations
Twenty-Six: It's Only a Week
Twenty-Seven: The Messenger Arrived
Twenty-Eight: Sisters Don't Have to Get Along
Twenty-Nine: After All This Time
Thirty: You'll Be Safe There
Thirty-One: A Selfish Man
Thirty-Two: The Enemy of My Enemy
Thirty-Three: On the Road Again
Thirty-Five: A Head Full of Plans
Thirty-Six: Help Convincing the King
Thirty-Seven: True Mates
Thirty-Eight: Been There Before
Thirty-Nine: Easier to go Numb
Forty: Stubborn Nogards
Forty-One: Promise the Child
Forty-Two: Hate at First Sight
Forty-Three: Back from the Dead
Forty-Four: Little Things
Forty-Five: First Flight
Forty-Six: An Alpha's Approval
Forty-Seven: A Woman Scorned
Forty-Eight: Sides Chosen
Forty-Nine: Ready
Fifty: Our Spot
Fifty-One: Dust in the Wind
Fifty-Two: A Proposition for a King
Fifty-Three: Here
Fifty-Four: A New Twist
Fifty-Five: Drums of War
Fifty-Six: Linked
Fifty-Seven: Blood Red Ruby
Fifty-Eight: A Bond Broken
Fifty-Nine: Lost
Sixty: A Sacrifice
Sixty-One: Valerie
Sixty-Two: A Mating
Dragon Fire is Now Started!
Something Cool to Show You!

Thirty-Four: Home Again

7.5K 363 9
By mwendlandt

Skylar opened her eyes to find herself staring at a very appealing backside as its owner crouched next to the fire. She smiled and stretched like a cat, entirely at ease. Even with the knowledge that she was going home today. She was scared, but as long as Orion was with her, everything would be alright. He rose to his impressive height and she took her time looking from his feet to his head. His back was still to her as he looked into the newly made fire. She shouldn't have been surprised he was awake with the sun.

"Good morning," he said, turning to look at her with his stunning golden eyes. She could sense his dragon's happiness at seeing her and her own dragon purred in return. 

"Good morning," she smiled, sitting up slowly.

He walked over and crouched next to her. "Are you ready for today?"

She bit her lip and nodded slowly. "I think so, as long as you're with me."

"Always," he grinned, leaning forward to kiss her forehead. Heat bloomed through her at the affectionate gesture. His grin lit up his face, slightly crooked on one side, and her first thought was that he needed to do it more. It gave him a carefree, easy-going look, rather than his regular stern, serious demeanor.

She reached up to push a lock of his thick dark hair off of his forehead. "We should leave now, to get there by nightfall," she stated.

"Are you in such a rush to get home?" he wondered. She tried to gauge if he was upset about that or not, but he kept his face carefully neutral.

"We don't want to waste anytime. Draco will be waiting for me, and we'll need as much time to convince my father as possible."

He nodded slowly, tucking a lot of her wild hair behind her ear. "Let's eat something first, shall we? Then we can fly all day, I promise."

"Okay," she agreed, standing up. He turned away from her to dig through his pack and she stared at him for a moment. The heat in her chest, the longing she felt for him, was entirely knew to her. She wondered if it was just because all of the feelings inside her were new and exciting, or if it meant something more. She should have talked to Laura before she left, but the future Beta female was distracting Cassie while everyone else had been talking. She cursed Cassie for spending time with her only female friend her age so she couldn't talk to her. She'd never been able to talk about boys with anyone, and she desperately wanted to talk to someone about her feelings for Orion. He was perfect, and he was hers. He loved her. He had left his clan to travel to the humans with her, to ask for help from her human family. It took someone special to do that. He was the only person who had made her feel truly safe in her entire life; she owed him more than he knew.

"Thank you," she whispered suddenly. He paused and pivoted to look at her. 

"For what?"

She shrugged one shoulder. "For everything. But especially for being here."

"Skylar, of course I'd come with you. You think I'd let you do this on your own?"

"Leo didn't just let you come because he wanted you to make sure I didn't run away?" It was always a possibility with the Alpha. Even if he'd agreed to her plan, that didn't mean he liked or trusted her. She'd heard what he said about her, talking about her like she was no one important to Orion, just some woman around to fulfill his needs. She blushed at the thought and looked down at their boots. What was wrong with her? Of course she wasn't just that to the man before her. He'd told her he loved her, and she could feel that he meant it. If he didn't, her dragon would rip him to shreds.

Orion chuckled softly. "He couldn't have stopped me from coming with you. He knew that, so he made it seem like he gave me permission."

She gave him a small smile as she looked up at him. The more she woke up and thought about what was going on, the more doubt washed over her. "What if my father won't help us?" It was hard to admit that that was a real possibility. If Draco kidnapping and threatening her wasn't enough to spark her father's ire, she didn't know what would.

"Then we find another way to beat Draco. Skylar, we'll find a way. I promise." He ran his fingers over her cheek. "We'll end him."

She nodded. They were dragons after all, she was a dragon. She had dragon blood coursing through her veins, Alpha blood. She was strong, powerful, and determined to save her new family.

Orion sat her down next to the fire and handed her an apple and a piece of cheese, his go-to breakfast apparently since that's what he fed her every time he was in charge of giving her breakfast. She nibbled on it as he sat next to her. Not so close that they were touching, but close enough that she could feel the warmth radiating from him. Her dragon purred in contentment at his proximity. The dragon urged her to close the distance between them, but Skylar resisted, suddenly feeling shy with him. She knew it was ridiculous, but she wasn't entirely sure how to move forward with him. They'd gotten to this point, expressing their emotions, but what did it mean? They didn't have time to figure out what had happened between them, what was happening, and that worried her. Being at the castle would no doubt put unnecessary strain on their blossoming relationship. They were heading into a world that was ruled by humans, to beg for their help. Asking anyone for help wouldn't sit well with Orion, she knew that. He was a proud man and as much as he was willing to go with her to her old home, it couldn't possibly sit well with him to ask humans for help.

They ate in silence, each absorbed in their own thoughts, until Orion touched her knee. She jumped in surprise and looked at him expectantly.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," she sighed, rising to her feet and brushing off her pants. "We'll be there by tonight?"

"Probably even sooner," he looked up at the sky, squinting his golden eyes. "The wind's in our favor."

She nodded and stepped back to shift. 

"Wait," Orion demanded, stepping toward her. 

"What?" she widened her eyes and looked around, thinking something was wrong.

He gently placed his hands on her hips and pulled her close, so she was flush against him. Her hands landed on his chest, resting against the hard muscle. He leaned down and kissed her sweetly. "I needed to do that before my dragon gets to spend the rest of the day with you."

She grinned. "Oh, well, I suppose that's quite alright." Then she pulled him down for another kiss, her shyness disappearing with each moment his hands were on her. Her dragon, of course, didn't care for all the attention Skylar was getting from their male. She growled, demanding to be let loose so she could spend time with Orion. Orion's hands traveled up to cup her cheeks, and her dragon decided that was enough. She gave a tentative push at the edges of Skylar's mind, demanding freedom, but not forcing it. Skylar saw that as a positive step in their relationship and allowed the change. 

For the first time, Skylar was aware of the shift as it took place. She felt the exchange of control, felt herself pushed back and the magic wash over her and her dragon. It was almost as if a gate opened and her dragon stepped through. 

The blue dragon hummed as the human male's hands touched the sides of her snout as he chuckled. 

"Well, hello there, lovely," he crooned, stroking the smaller scales of her nose. She closed her eyes and huffed hot air at him. She hadn't been able to truly meet her mate's human counterpart, and now that she had she liked him quite a lot. Of course, that was to be expected; the golden dragon and him human had been made for the blue dragon and hers.

She nudged him and he ran his hand up her face to her forehead and scratched. He smiled at her and she never would have thought a human of any kind could make her insides warm and her stomach flip. She could feel herself connecting with her human side more and more, which was why she understood his human language and why he'd been able to sense her thoughts when those other dragons were attacking. She could feel Skylar's consciousness in the back of her mind; it was stronger every time they shifted. She lifted her head and gave Orion a toothy dragon-grin as she stared down at him.

"Skylar is conscious in you, isn't she?" he smiled. "I can sense her effect on you."

The grin disappeared and the blue dragon huffed at him.

He held up his hands cordially. "It's not a bad thing, I promise."

She cocked her head sideways and roared softly. As much as she enjoyed the company of the human male, she wanted time with his dragon too. They'd flown all the way here together, but Skylar and Orion got to be together all the time, she and the golden dragon only got to be together when it was allowed by their humans. 

"He wants to see you too," Orion grinned. Magic pulsated through the air, and the golden dragon suddenly stood in front of her. His shimmering eyes gleamed happily as he leaned down to nuzzle her. She closed her eyes and stepped closer to the handsome dragon. The pair was glad their humans finally figured out what they were to one another, so the dragons could act on their instincts. They'd known from the beginning that they shared a bond since they were far more in tune with their more primal instincts. 

The blue dragon leaned up to lick under her male's jaw before jumping away when he bent down to reciprocate. He narrowed his eyes, still unsure about the whole playing thing, but the blue dragon wasn't about to let him get away without participating. She lifted her lip in a taunting snarl and swiped a paw at him. 

He pounced at her then, but she was quick. She bounded away, swishing her tail in her wake. A huge set of jaws snapped at her as she passed by and when he missed he growled. With every turn he made, his scales caught the light differently. She stopped for a moment to admire his beauty. He was a strong, deadly creature, just like herself, but he would cause anyone to stop and stare at him. The power in his limbs was evident with every step he took, and despite his great size, he was as graceful as they came. He knew what he was capable of and wore it proudly. 

So entranced was she by him, she let her guard down. One minute she was staring at him and the next she was on her back, his great weight pressing her into the ground. 

His head lowered to hers, never losing eye contact, and she felt their connection again, stronger than ever before. The draw between them was nearly tangible, far stronger than the connection between the humans, who were just realizing what their instincts were telling them. 

He leaned down and pressed the tip of his snout against hers.

We should go. His voice was a whisper in her mind, little more than a sound carried on the breeze, but it was something. She and Skylar were connecting, just like they were supposed to. Skylar herself was weak in the back of her mind, but she was surely there. It wouldn't be long before she was thinking for herself and even able to control some of the dragon's actions and emotions, just like the dragon was able to do to her when their positions were reversed.

She snorted to convey her understanding. She wasn't entirely sure how the connection worked, and it wasn't natural for her to think in the human language. She'd been incredibly angry and the thought of her mate in danger caused her to connect with Skylar more so than she was now. 

Go... she answered hesitantly, her mate's eyes filling with glee as he nuzzled her proudly. She rolled out from under him, opening her wings. She would lead because she knew the way back to the castle. She didn't want to go back to that horrible place, but she knew that Skylar wanted to return because she wanted to save the dragons. Besides, the golden dragon was with her and he wouldn't let Skylar make a dumb decision.

She launched herself into the air, flapping her wings in great sweeps to gather the air beneath her. She felt it begin to cradle her underside, lifting her up above the treeline and she turned accordingly, toward the one place she never wanted to return. She'd already made up her mind that she would not be suppressed this time, she would not be ignored. She was a dragon, Skylar even admitted it, and a dragon was not one to be chained. There would be no going back to the life they had led before.

The golden dragon took to the air and flew after her, close on her tail. They had a full day of flying ahead of them, and she was looking forward to it immensely. She was born to fly and she never grew tired of looking down on the ground. 

<><><><><><><><><>

The day passed steadily, the pair soaring high above the ground with the wind at their tails. The golden dragon flanked his blue partner on her right side, following her lead, something he would do for no one except her. That knowledge caused pride to swell inside her and she glanced over her shoulder at him. He was focused ahead, but turned to meet her gaze when he felt her staring at him. He lifted a lip playfully and she returned the gesture. She swung her head forward once more and pumped her wings in three steady beats before letting the wind carry her for a while longer. 

To pass the time she watched the ground and the tiny homesteads they flew over periodically, the ones that became more frequent the closer they got to the castle. They were high enough so as to not raise too much suspicion if someone looked up, but her excellent vision made it easy enough to pick out the individual plots. She enjoyed this view over Skylar's kingdom; it was the first time she was seeing it through her own eyes. 

Skylar, on the other hand, was growing more and more stressed with each passing mile. The closer they got to the castle, the knowledge that she was returning home became more real. It was unsettling, mostly because she realized how much it no longer felt like home. She didn't belong there, she never had, no matter how much she wanted to. And to face her parents and beg them to help her new family... that felt like it would be a slap in the face.

The sun sat low above the horizon as the pair began to descend. They were getting close enough to the castle that if they decided to land any later there would be no hiding from prying eyes. The last thing they needed was people getting worked up because there was a sighting of not one but two dragons approaching the castle. In Skylar's whole life there had never been a dragon close enough to the castle to raise alarm, other than herself of course, but she'd been discrete.

They landed in a field that bordered the cover of trees. They were still over an hour's walk away from the castle, but it would give Skylar a chance to gather her thoughts. Her dragon was irritated that it was time to give control back to the human side, but she conceded upon Skylar's request. Once she was standing on her own two feet, she realized that she truly remembered the flight, that she'd been able to think through it. Her dragon had been in complete and total control, but she hadn't been unconscious through the entire thing. She grinned and turned to the golden dragon, who nuzzled her before allowing Orion back through. 

The man sighed and stretched his arms high above his head. 

"I don't see a castle anywhere," he stated.

Skylar ran her fingers through her wild hair. She hadn't even been in human form and somehow it still managed to get frizzy. Orion chuckled at her struggles and pulled a piece of twine out of his pocket. He offered it to her and she took it gratefully, braiding her thick locks and chastising herself for forgetting a tie. 

"I learned a long time ago to always carry something to tie this mess back with," he sheepishly ran a hand through his dark waves, leaving them mussed around his head. She grinned up at him. 

"Something we have in common, I suppose," she teased. She looked up into the brilliant orange sky, gesturing in the direction of the heart of Trael. "The castle is that way. It didn't seem wise to spook anyone by two massive dragons flying too close to the headquarters of the king and queen."

He nodded in understanding. "Ah, good thinking."

She held out her hand to him. "We'd better get walking then. I want to get there before I change my mind."

He laced his fingers with hers and squeezed gently. "Feeling anxious?"

"Of course," she stared off in the direction of the place that was once her home. "I've been gone for two weeks without explanation and now I'm reappearing to ask them to turn on their ally."

"You were far more confident yesterday when you were trying to convince my father," Orion said gently as they began walking toward the trees to find the path to the castle. "Do you not think they will help us?"

"I think they will," she answered slowly. "I think I just might have underestimated exactly how much convincing I would need to do."

Orion pursed his lips and let out a sigh. "We don't have a lot of time."

"No, we don't. Draco will be expecting me and if he finds out I'm here..." she shrugged a shoulder. "If he finds out I'm here it won't be good."

"No, it won't, which is why we'll be fast and efficient."

She peered up at him through her eyelashes to see the determined set of his jaw as he looked down the path. His hand squeezed hers slightly and she realized that not only was she returning after a long, unexplained absence, but she was bringing a dragon with her, and not just any dragon. An Alpha of a clan, an Alpha she was madly in love with. She highly doubted her parents would approve of the match. 

She was surprised to find that she didn't care.

That made their journey to the castle that much easier. 

They walked on in silence until they turned a corner and the castle was visible to them in all its glory. She had forgotten what a magnificent sight it was at night. The windows were alight with candles and the wall surrounding it was periodical lit the same way. She could see the shadows of the guards patrolling it as they marched back a forth. The four peaks of the towers stretched into the sky as if trying to touch the stars and though the archers posted there were invisible in the darkness, she knew they were there, watching and waiting.

Orion let out a low whistle. "Sort of puts the Big House to shame, doesn't it?"

"It's different," Skylar conceded. She knew from experience that though it had been filled with love, it lacked the warm coziness of the Alpha family's dwellings back in the clan. "It was home."

"Since it was home, are we just going to walk right up to the front gates and ask to get in?"

She knew he was kidding, but decided to take him seriously. "No. That would draw to much attention. We're going around back."

He followed her without question through the village, which still bustled with life, though it was of a more undesirable sort. This village was the largest in the kingdom since it sat at the base of the castle, so it was closer to a city in size and population. Skylar had never stepped foot in it without the company of her guards, though after looking at Orion she decided she was as safe as she'd ever been. It would take a very stupid man to approach Orion with anything less than honorable intentions. His jaw was set firmly and his eyes scanned their surroundings, searching for anything out of the ordinary. He looked more like the Orion she had first met, rather than the one she'd gotten to know. His hard exterior was impenetrable, but she supposed that if there was ever a situation that called for it, it was now.

Sneaking around the castle to the back door required a few detours. The backdoor was the one she used to slip out during the full moon to hide in the cave. The very thought set her dragon on edge. Luckily, she'd made the trip countless times. They simply needed to make a wide berth around the fortress, out of sight of the watchmen, and then follow the path she'd taken once a month since she was six years old. She thought of the chains in the cave and rubbed her wrists. Never again should she set foot in that place. 

They approached the backside of the castle, to a hidden door her father had put in himself, not trusting anyone to keep their mouths shut about it. The fewer people who knew about the door, the better, and the only ones who knew about it happened to be the same people who knew about Skylar's unique ability.

She turned the latch on the door and it swung open, silent as ever. It led to a dark passage way, but with their dragon eyesight it was easy enough to traverse. The moment they set foot inside the castle, she could sense Orion's body tense up. He was out of his comfort zone, much like she had been upon their arrival at his clan. She felt a small amount of satisfaction that the tables were turned. She reached back to take his hand. 

"It's okay."

"Sure, yeah," he answered curtly, anxiety rolling off him in waves. A few more steps and they should almost be there...

She reached her hand out and made contact with the door that would let them into one of the castle's hallways. She looked down at herself and then at Orion. 

"What?" he asked. 

"Not only are we not dressed for castle life," she said softly, "but I'm wearing trousers."

"Not much we could do about that," he hissed in response. 

"I should have brought a skirt or something," she shook her head in disbelief. "What was I thinking?"

"Growing used to wearing trousers then, are you?"

"Well when that's my only option," she snapped. 

He put his hand on her shoulder gently. "Either way, it's a bit late to worry about that now."

"I can't call upon my the king and queen looking like this."

"You're going to have to. We can't exactly stay in the castle without them knowing. Someone would see us."

Skylar rubbed her temples. "I did not think this out as well as I should have."

"Yes, well, next time I'll make sure to wear my velvet tunic." Orion's voice simply dripped sarcasm and she growled in response. He had no idea what sort of environment they were in. This was her area of expertise, this was her world. She'd never questioned his customs, not much at least. This was so different from everything he knew. They were about to go before the leader of thousands of people, not just one hundred. Hal's relationship with his people wasn't like Leo's or eventually Orion's. He didn't know everyone by name. He didn't know their life stories, he wasn't friends with them. He was their ruler and he held more power in a flick of his wrist than most men had in their whole bodies.

Skylar knew Orion was right in that there was nothing they could do about their attire now, or much they could have done before. She didn't have any money and her blue ballgown from her birthday was filthy and torn, not any better than the man's clothing she currently wore. The only thing of any elegance she wore was the necklace Jonathan gave her, which rested against her chest with a comforting weight. In an attempt to appear at least somewhat presentable, she twisted her curls into a knot atop her head and secured it with the twine in a simple up-do. It was the best she could do under the circumstances.

She gently pushed the door open, peering out. It was a quiet hallway, it was always quiet, so she knew she didn't have to be too careful. She slipped into the red-carpeted hallway and stared up at the high ceilings with a small smile. Even her dragon was slightly comforted by the familiar view, as much as she'd hated it here. Orion looked around in awe as he let the hidden door fall shut behind him. 

"People live here?" he whispered. 

"Yes, hundreds of people live here," she answered, thinking of the castle staff. It didn't sit well with her thinking that life had simply gone on in her absence, even though she knew it had.

They walked quietly down the deserted hall toward the throne room. It was only a little while after dusk, so it wasn't likely her parents had retired to their chambers yet. The best bet was the throne room. Skylar's stomach did an impressive flip at the thought that she was only moments from seeing them again. She glanced back at Orion who gave her a reassuring smile. She had no idea how she felt about these two worlds colliding the way they were about to. 

They rounded a corner and at the end of the long hall were the two massive wooden doors that led to the throne room. In front of the entrance, two guards were posted. They both placed a hand on the sword at their hip at the appearance of Skylar and Orion at the end of the hall. They allowed the pair to approach at a steady walk. Orion flanked Skylar, staring down the guards, but Skylar kept her head high. No matter how she was dressed, she was still a princess, their princess. She inhaled deeply and lifted her chin as one guard stepped forward, ready to pull his sword from its sheathe at a moment's notice. 

"Identify yourselves," he demanded. His voice sent relief washing over Skylar.

"Ian," she couldn't stop herself from smiling at her personal guard. "Ian, it's me."

He paused and his brown eyes widened slightly. "Princess?"

She laughed nervously and nodded. "I'm back."

"You're alive," he breathed in relief stepping toward her. Skylar couldn't stop herself from hugging the soldier she'd spent so much time hiding from. Even her dragon felt sentimental toward the familiar man. 

"I'm alive," she whispered, squeezing him tightly. "I'm sorry."

He stepped back and shook his head. "No, don't be. All that matters is that you're home." He glanced behind her and focused on Orion. She could see the questions swimming in his gaze, but she quickly drew his attention back to her. 

"My mother and father?"

Ian blinked. "Of course, they're in here, discussing you, actually."

"Oh," that worried her slightly. "Do you think they're up for an interruption?"

Ian chuckled. "I don't think they'd mind. Shall I announce you, Princess?"

Skylar nodded, stepping back and folding her hands in front of her, putting on a calm facade while her stomach flipped back and forth and her heart beat deafeningly in her ears. "Yes, please."

Ian nodded once to her and then to his fellow guard. They each grabbed a handle of the door and pushed inward. 

Ian's voice echoed through the large room as the doors swung open. Skylar took a huge breath to calm herself, knowing that there was no turning back. 

"I present Princess Skylar and guest to Their Majesties, King Harold and Queen Violet."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A part of me never thought I'd get this far and now here we are! Orion and Skylar about to confront the King and Queen... and don't forget Greta! Perhaps even Jonathan...?! 

Also, I just went back and checked and I realized that Skylar hasn't been back to the castle since chapter seven, which I wrote a LONG time ago (almost two years), which is crazy. So, this is as exciting for me as it is for them. 

Anyway, thank you again for reading and please vote, comment, and follow! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

837 140 34
"I dreamed about you." she leaned closer, and I knew she was preparing herself to catch my reaction. "You were a wolf." I tried my best to hide...
93.4K 1.7K 37
"The fuck you are leaving me." He snapped and growled at his mate. She was calm as she was ever be regardless of his snapping. She sighed and turned...
1.5K 53 39
"I don't know what kind of girl you think I am Greg" I mumbled. I was not the kind of girl who slept with guys on a whim. I wanted him, but not enoug...
142K 2.8K 22
"I am a werewolf." As those words slipped through my lips, my angel looks at me bewildered. "You're a-a- what?" I nod, "A werewolf. But not just any...