Dust and Ash

By LovelyLivvi

Dustin isn't particularly pleased when his mother's freshly divorced best friend, Cathy, decides to temporari... More

Information
2: A touch of testosterone [ash]
3: Leaving a lasting impression [dust]
4: Breakfast with the Reeds [ash]
5: Hierarchy and high school [dust]
6: Boys and bad behaviour [ash]

1: More than just baggage [dust]

18.7K 1.1K 536
By LovelyLivvi

When Mum announced that her freshly-divorced best friend, Cathy, was going to temporarily move in with us, a small part of me died inside. It wasn't that I didn't like Cathy. She was one hell of a good cook and I've never met anyone who plays poker as well as her.

It was more to do with the fact that when my mother and Cathy got together, it was absolutely chaotic. I could only deal with them in small occurrences, so living under the same roof as them both was going to be hell.

But our new living arrangements did have a couple of new perks. Because although Mum was excited, she was also sympathetic, which granted me a lot more freedom. So before Cathy was due to arrive, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. Dino's for pizza was my go-to plan.

Jackson and Sam were already at our usual table; at the back, by the window, where the ventilation system was at its highest glory. I slid into the booth and shrugged off my jacket, watching as my friends battled for room to put their textbooks. Pens and paper were scattered across the surface, grease staining the dog-eared corners of their assignments.

"Extra cheese?" I asked, not waiting for an answer before I picked up the last slice from the platter and took a bite.

"I was going to eat that." Jackson frowned.

"Georgina's shift ends at five," Sam said, looking up from his homework. "She's been asking for you since we got here."

Jackson let out a low whistle. "Damn, that girl's stunning."

I shrugged. I had recently gotten out of a long-term relationship and wasn't looking for anyone. My friends thought I was crazy; Georgina was beautiful, no doubt, but she lacked her own personal voice. We had been in the same classes over the years and I had noted that she was a smart student, but she would never argue against something she didn't believe in.

I didn't want a relationship where we couldn't have intellectual discussions and heated arguments, then kiss and agree to disagree. Besides, Jackson and Sam insisted I get a rebound, but I didn't believe in them; allowing a girl to be a distraction from another was cruel.

"If you don't make a move soon, one of us will."

"Be my guest," I answered, motioning behind them.

Georgina always worked on the weekends, so it was no surprise that she was on a shift that late Saturday afternoon. She walked over to our table with a big smile, blonde curls pulled into a ponytail. She paused and took out her notepad and pen, then looked up at the boys.

"Can I get you guys anything?" she asked, eyes drifting to my side of the table.

"A Cherry Coke would be great," I answered easily, returning her smile. "And you guys?"

I eyed my friends, daring them to make the move they so passionately threatened.

Sam raised an eyebrow at my challenge. I knew Sam appreciated Georgina's looks, but he never showed much interest. The dare was more focused towards Jackson, who had been admiring her since we were fourteen. He had never directly admitted it, but the signs were clear as day.

"A large pepperoni, please," Sam answered, and then elbowed Jackson in the ribs. "What about you?"

Jackson made a small grunt and turned to look up at her nervously.

"Actually, Georgina..." he started as he gulped and wiped his sweaty hands on his jeans. "I was actually wondering..." Georgina watched him curiously. It was like watching a puppy drown. I was about to swoop in when Jackson finally said, "If there was still Fanta on the menu?"

The last part was said so fast that it ended up being one whole sentence pushed together in a single word. I looked up at Georgina, who didn't seem fazed by his behaviour.

"Yeah, of course! Did you want grape or orange?"

Bless that girl's soul, I thought. She'd be perfect for Jackson.

"Orange," Jackson muttered pathetically, keeping his gaze away.

"Okay, so, a Cherry Coke, a large pepperoni, and an Orange Fanta," she said, reading off her notepad. "I'll be right back with your order."

With one last smile, she turned and left.

"Damn that waitress uniform," Jackson mumbled, looking defeated. He shoved his face into his hands. "It'll be the death of me."

"You completely froze," Sam said, before drinking the rest of his beverage and scooping the ice chunks into his mouth.

"Maybe next time," I answered, finishing the last bite of pizza.

Jackson looked up at him, completely pained. "Topic change. I'm getting depressed thinking about my seven future cats. Has your mum's friend moved in yet?"

"She's coming around seven."

"Oh, is this the really hot friend?" Sam asked, perking up at the conversation turn.

"You really have to stop hitting on my mum and her friends. She's going to get a restraining order on you one day."

Sam was what my mother called my 'pervert friend', which I didn't argue against because it was pretty much true. There was no point defending him when Sam was just going to do something that represented him as worse than he actually was.

"Does she have a daughter at least?" Sam pressed.

I hadn't actually heard Cathy speak of a daughter—or any children for that matter. I didn't know why, but I never pictured her as a mother. Besides, Mum didn't mention anyone moving in except for Cathy.

"Don't think so." I shrugged. "Nice try though."

"It was worth a shot."

Georgina returned with our orders, placing the drinks down onto the table before sliding the tray of pizza in the middle, trying not to put it on top of any important pieces of paper. Jackson tried shuffling his homework into a single neat pile, but the corners jutted out at weird angles until he was left with an awkward looking star of school work.

"Hey, is this the algebra homework we were meant to do over the weekend?" Georgina asked, bending down to pick up a double sided sheet that had fallen on the ground.

"Unfortunately," Sam answered.

Georgina handed it back to Jackson. "Did you end up getting number twelve? I was completely stuck last night."

Jackson shook his head. "I couldn't get it either. But apparently, the same sort of question is going to be on the topic test on Monday."

I watched as his confidence spiked. Jackson went from a stuttering, nervous wreck to completely cool, collected and confident. In just a few short minutes, he had completely transformed. I wasn't sure if I was more proud that he was speaking coherently or worried that he was going to mess it up. Sam, on the other hand, seemed thoroughly entertained as he watched the scene unfold between them.

"Really?" She groaned. "I must have missed that part in class."

"Oh, that's because we were all sent a group email."

There was the Jackson I knew. He looked down in momentary panic, eyes wide, neck turning a flattering shade of red as he made a face that said why-in-god's-name-did-I-just-mention-that-I-check-my-school-email.

The school email a new facility at Lyon High and no one was particularly interested in it, especially the seniors who only had months left before graduation. Everyone found it practically pointless, but Jackson had taken a serious interest in it and had been refreshing it more than his Facebook newsfeed.

Georgina seemed amused by this. "I'll have to check my email more often then. Enjoy your pizza."

Jackson watched, completely mesmerised, as she walked away. Sam and I exchanged a quick glance before Jackson turned back.

"Wow," was all he said.

"We should order another pizza so she'll keep coming back," Sam said.

"You really think so?"

"I think he was kidding, Jackson. But, as fun as that sounds, I should probably get going. Mum wants me to be back so I'll be there when Cathy arrives." I finished the rest of my drink and grabbed my jacket.

As I scooted out of the booth, Sam said, "Do you reckon you'll be busy tonight?"

"Don't think so. Why? What do you have in mind?"

"There's a bonfire down at the beach tonight."

I thought back to what was in store for me if I decided to stay home. There would no doubt be some gossip over some celebratory drinks, probably a lot of laughter, followed by some late-night vomiting.

The beach was starting to sound like heaven.

"Once Cathy is settled, I'll be there around ten."

Then I grabbed my keys from the table and left.

"I'm cooking lasagne for dinner," Mum announced when I walked through the door. "Do you mind?"

"I already ate pizza with the guys."

Usually, she would be angry at me for eating before dinner, but this was a special occasion. Cathy would be arriving soon –probably with her extensive rom-com collection of DVDs and hopefully not her habit to insist I watch Marley and Me with them. I didn't want to be a victim to their crying and hand holding again.

"Don't make a habit out of it, okay?" Mum warned, but she couldn't contain her smile. "They'll be here any second."

She was bouncing on the balls of her feet, her hands clasped together. I wondered if Cathy had much luggage to bring in. Then my mother's words circled back to me.

"What do you mean they?" I asked, just as the doorbell rang.

"Maura?" Cathy called from outside.

"Mum," I pressed as my mother let out a girlish yelp and ran to the door.

But she wasn't listening. She was already throwing the door open with her arms spread wide. Cathy instantly dropped her luggage and wrapped her arms around her friend and together, they screamed and jumped and said a whole lot of ohmygods and ivemissedyous and stopgettingprettieryoubitch.

I waited patiently while they continued to freak out. I didn't even try to comprehend why all the jumping and screaming was necessary because they had seen each other a few days ago when Mum had visited Cathy to help bubble wrap and box her things. I decided it was better left as a mystery.

When Cathy finally pulled away, she noticed me standing behind my mother and instantly latched onto me for a hug. Cathy smelt like potpourri and fabric softener; the kind with the fuzzy names like Cuddly and Fluffy.

"Mum, a little help here," a voice said from behind them.

After one more quick squeeze, Cathy let go and turned around. At first, I couldn't see anything. All I could make out was the faint, dark outline of a car parked at the front of my house. But then I saw her.

She stepped into the yellow glow of the porch light, pulling a suitcase behind her. She had the most stunning auburn hair and a confidence to her walk that I admired. But her deep cherry lips twisted into a scowl as she neared and I realised she was pissed.

Seriously pissed.

"Dust," Cathy said, "I'd like you to meet my daughter, Ashley."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 337 21
The house next door goes up for sale, the dreaded day arrives in which its been sold and now the only thing left is to find out whose moving in. "Go...
314K 7.4K 41
Spending the last year of her childhood life with her father wasn't exactly part of Andrea's plan. She was physically forced to move away from her hu...
542K 21K 9
Ethan and Dominic are friends, the best of friends since they were practically in the womb. Hell, their parents were even best friends. So naturally...
30 0 15
In her world full of trauma, entrepreneurship, loyalty, and insecurities, she finally decides to disappear from everything. Aside from her breakup wi...