New Girl {Poldark}

By ellemotional

Ross, Dwight and Francis have just started high school. Their enemy: George Warleggan. Everything seems like... More

chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12

chapter 9

324 13 2
By ellemotional

Demelza POV

"Ross? I've found her," Demelza said, sitting on Ross's bedroom floor with her laptop.

"What?" he said, stumbling in through the door.

"Caroline. I've found her. Look."

He leaned over her shoulder and peered at the blonde girl on the screen. She was radiantly beautiful, with smooth creamy skin, red lips and light blue eyes.

"She's a model?" he exclaimed, scanning the pictures on the screen.

"Seems like it."

"Can we email her or something?"

"Let me see," said Demelza, tapping away at the keyboard with nimble fingers. "Okay, we might be able to contact her manager, his email is on his website. Wait, it says here she's in America right now."

"What? Where?"

"17 year old model Caroline Penvenen recently arrived in New York City to work on a shoot with major fashion label Dior," she read. "After her hushed up break up with her boyfriend Pierre, her manager Fergus Pierce is determined to make the upcoming shoot the highlight of her modelling career."

"Wow. How have we not heard of her?"

"Do you keep up with fashion?" Demelza asked scathingly.

"No."

"Neither do I."

"But we have to talk to her," Ross said firmly. "We have to find out why she had contact with your Dad."

"To be honest Ross, it doesn't sound like a good idea."

"Why not?"

She lay down on the floor and sighed. "Dad's gone. I don't want to start digging up his past, it won't change anything. And I doubt she'd reply to an email from us anyway."

"But it can't hurt to try," Ross argued.

"Ross, no."

"Why not? What harm can it do?"

"It can do loads of harm. She might know stuff about him that I don't want to know about."

"But even if she does, it won't change anything. You just said it yourself."

Demelza sat up. "I'm not contacting her, Ross. End of story."

Ross shifted over to her and nuzzled his face into her neck. "Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

She laughed. "Stop, you're tickling me. Why are you so curious anyway?"

"More to the point, why aren't you? Your dad had connections with a top model, and he knew her address. Don't you want to find out why?"

"No, actually, I don't. He probably sold drugs to her or something."

"Just one email?"

"No."

"One email and if she doesn't reply we drop it completely and never talk about her again."

She brought his gaze to hers by lifting a hand under his chin. "And if she does?"

"You talk to her. I'm not saying you have make friends."

She leaned her forehead on his shoulder. "Fine. One email. And if she doesn't reply we drop it forever."

*

A week later Demelza stepped off a coach and into the bright lights of New York. Ross had offered to come with her, but she felt like this was something she needed to do alone. To her astonishment, Caroline had actually replied, but what was even stranger was the fact that she said she had been trying to contact Demelza for a while. She scoffed when she read the email. A top model trying to get in touch with her? Yeah, right.

She had never seen a city so alive as New York. People were everywhere - crossing the streets, driving cars, dining in restaurants, entering clubs...the list went on. When she had lived in Cornwall, she thought London was impressive, but this was a whole level up from England's capital city. Everything seemed at least 10 times faster, brighter and busier.

After typing the address of the hotel where Caroline was staying into Google Maps, she ventured into the bustling streets of the city. When she arrived, she spent five minutes standing in front of the building trying to prepare herself. She walked confidently into the reception area and waited.

"Demelza Carne?" A crisp, perfectly clear voice sounded from behind her and she spun round too see the glamorous blonde that was Caroline Penvenen, a polite smile framing her red lips.

Demelza cleared her throat and smiled. "Yep, that's me," she said, offering her hand.

"Caroline," the other girl said, shaking her hand. "I'm so glad we finally got in touch," she said, "I've been meaning to talk to you for ages."

Now Demelza was really curious. Why would she want to talk to her? And why hadn't she found her sooner?

"My manager's given me the weekend off, so we can go pretty much where we like. There's an Italian place over the road if that's okay?"

She nodded silently and followed her out of the hotel. It was clear why Caroline had become a model, everything she did looked fluid, delicate and front cover worthy, as if the paparazzi could come round the corner at any moment.

They sat down at a small and empty cafe across the street. Caroline smiled at her. Demelza wasn't sure, but she thought she sensed nerves coming from the girl sitting opposite her.

"So you're Tom Carne's daughter," she said.

Demelza smiled half half-heartedly. "Yes, I am. But...how do you know him?"

Caroline leaned back in her seat. "And that is exactly why I've been trying to find you. I'll get straight to the point. You see, your dad and my dad were good friends. Seven years ago, my dad was nearly locked up for burglary, but Tom Carne managed to clear his name. Dad felt he owed him, so he promised that if anything happened to Tom, he would take care of his children and support them financially. Two years ago, however, my dad was sent to prison again and there was nothing Tom could do. I don't know if know this, but your Dad suffered from heart problems since his marriage to your mother, and I think he knew that his heart wouldn't hold out beyond the age of 50. That's why he had my address with him when he died, so I'd be able to support you instead of my Dad."

Demelza was shocked. "So you've...you've been instructed to take care of us?"

"Not exactly. Your dad set up a savings account for you and your brothers to use, and it's my job to give you access to it." When Demelza remained silent, she continued. "I'm sorry this has all come out so suddenly, it must be hard to take in right now."

But Demelza was still baffled. "But how come he never told us about you?"

"I don't know. Tom was always very secretive, according to my Dad."

They could both feel an awkward silence blooming, and struggled to find anything more to say.

"So er...what are you going to do now then? Carry on with modelling?"

Caroline sighed as if talking about her career bored her. "I'm dropping it once I've finished this shoot. I mean, I'm 17 - I can't be a model forever, I have to do something with my life. So I'm moving to America for good and I've enrolled at a small high school miles away where no one will know who I am...hopefully."

Demelza nodded. It was an unlikely occurrence, but she found herself liking Caroline. It wasn't because she radiated charisma or because of her calm and collected manner, but rather because she had also been through hard times and didn't strive to hide it. Something about her was completely human, and Demelza momentarily forgot she was talking to a world famous model.

"Which high school are you going to?" she asked.

"Marsh Hill, I think?"

"No way. Seriously?"

Caroline nodded questioningly.

"That's literally the one I'm at right now."

"Oh my god, that is so cool! Does this mean we might be in the same class?"

Demelza shrugged. "It's quite small so it's very likely. I just moved here from Cornwall so I've only been there a few months. Took me a bit of getting used to, but it's alright after a while."

Caroline beamed. "I'm so glad I'll actually know someone," she said, sounding genuinely pleased. "Oh god, I think they're closing. Better run before we get locked in."

They stood up and walked briskly out of the cafe and into the street. "I'll walk you to the coach station," Caroline said, linking arms with her. She was looking around cautiously as if she was worried the police were after her. "We'd better run. The paparazzi might be around."

Demelza still couldn't get over the fact that Caroline's daily worries included getting spotted by the media. Millions of girls would give anything to be in her position.

When they arrived at the station, Demelza turned to Caroline expecting a formal goodbye, but she was pulled into a hug that smelled of Chanel. "Until next time then," she said.

"See you soon."

She got on the coach and waved to Caroline as it sped off down the road. She leaned her head back against her seat, still failing to take the day's events in. Caroline Penvenen was coming to her school. She repeated again in her head to make it feel more real.

Caroline Penvenen was coming to her school.

***
Sorry for taking so long to update, hope you guys are still enjoying it x
PS - it will get more exciting

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

734K 34.9K 58
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
431K 27.2K 91
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
104K 3.7K 81
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
301K 13.4K 36
જ⁀➴ᡣ𐭩 hidden, various hazbin hotel characters x female reader જ⁀➴ᡣ𐭩 𝑰𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 we follow an angel named y/n, who had her bes...