Slapshot

By bittersvveet

slapshot is the story of how a championship high school hockey team falls straight to the bottom after openin... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Off Limits
Chapter 2: Tryouts
Chapter 3: Married to Hockey
Chapter 4: Braden
Chapter 5: Maria
Chapter 6: First Kisses
Chapter 7: Sad
Chapter 8: "Feel Okay"
Chapter 9: Her Shot
Chapter 10: The Hockey Party
Chapter 11: Heart to Heart
Chapter 12: Game Day
Chapter 13: Sneak Out
Chapter 14: Break-up
Chapter 15: Hurt
Chapter 16: Hurt Too
Chapter 17: Injuries
Chapter 18: Day Off
Chapter 19: Check-up
Chapter 20: The New Guy
Chapter 22: The Bad Game
Chapter 23: Cameron
Chapter 24: Sketchy
Chapter 25: Cleared
Chapter 26: A Study Party
Chapter 27: About Last Night
Chapter 28: Everything's Changed
Chapter 29: A Week and a Half
Chapter 30: You Love Me?
Chapter 31: The McDonald's Intervention
Chapter 32: Silent Healing
Chapter 33: He's Back, Boys!
Chapter 34: Finally
Chapter 35: Interrupted

Chapter 21: Urgent

74 1 1
By bittersvveet

Jonathan's POV

I was laying on my bed, Jax curled at my feet as I waited for Tom to answer his goddamn phone. Finally, on the third call, he picked up. "What happened?" He asks.

"Are you on spare now?" I say into the phone.

"Yes, but I'm studying." Tom says.

"Can you come over?" I ask. Tom was supposed to come over after school ended, but I cannot stop thinking, and I need to rant.

"What? Why now?" He asks.

"Because, I can't stop thinking! And thinking is bad for me, so you better come right now." I tell him. God, was I ever nervous.

"I'm in the car right now. I swear, if I fail this test..." He says.

"Front door's open." I hang up the phone after, greeted with a picture of Maria, my wallpaper. I shout, throwing my phone across the room.

"Fuck." I mumble, standing up and realizing that was a bad idea. I retrieve it from the floor, happy to see there's no cracks.

Maybe I should just change my wallpaper... No. Why would I? She's my girlfriend. But if I can't stop feeling like this...

God. My head was physically killing right now. I couldn't stop thinking about this all morning, and at 11am, it's been a pretty long time. Strenuous brain activity is bad for me right now, so I swear, if Tom isn't here soon...

I move to sit on my bed again, holding my hands out to rub Jax's head. "Please, help me." I groan. What the hell am I supposed to do?

After what feels like ages of me just sitting on my bed staring at the wall, I hear the door open, and footsteps up the stairs.

"I haven't seen you in days, and I have to urgently talk to you, and you take your time coming over?" I say to Tom once he steps in.

"I have news for you too." He says, a humorous look on his face. Fuck.

"Was Maria at school today?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I saw her this morning." He says.

"She was away yesterday and the day before. Did you notice?" I ask.

"I noticed at practice yesterday. We all did." He tells me. I'm trying not to think about the one thing I can't stop thinking about.

"She was at my house..." I start.

"She was here? All day, Tuesday and Wednesday?" He asks.

I nod. I pause for a second before continuing. I can't even make eye contact with him "We had sex."

Tom immediately jumps off the bed. "What the hell? Really?" I couldn't read his expression.

"Why aren't you happy for me?" I say. "You're supposed to be happy so that I know I didn't make a mistake." The words come out rushed.

"I don't know, Jon..." He trails off.

"I swear to god if you're not happy because of this one reason I'm thinking of..." I say, covering my face. But I can practically hear the smirk on his face. Fuck.

"What's this reason?" He asks. I look up. I was right, there's the smug grin, front and centre.

I can't look anymore, I cover my eyes once again. "Why'd you do it?" He asks.

"What do you mean, she's my girlfriend, that's why." I say.

"It was mutual?" He asks.

"I guess, she's wanted to do it for awhile, and I just gave in." I say. He finally sits back down on the bed, inspecting where he was sitting. We did do it on this bed, for crying out loud.

"You just gave in? Now? Why?" Tom asks.

I stay quiet for a second, trying to think. "Oh my god, Tom, don't make me fucking say it." I say through my teeth.

"Shit! I knew it!" He exclaims.

"No, because it's not true." I say, my teeth still grit. Fuck this whole situation.

"I know why you did it, Jon." He smirks.

"I know why I did it, too." I say, shaking my head. I was such a bad person.

"I have so much to say about her." Tom says. Neither of us were going to say the name, but we both knew who she was. Fuck.

"I'm such a bad person, Tom." I say, still caught up on this one fact. Why did this have to be the way it was?

"Obviously. Why the hell would you have sex with Maria?" He asks, scoffing.

"Because!" I shout. "I was trying to stop fucking thinking about Taylor!" Oops. There it was. Fuck.

Tom gave me the biggest fucking smirk, and I almost had it, right then and there. "Shut up. I didn't mean that." I say.

"God, you are a bad person." Tom says, shaking his head.

"Okay, now what'd you have to tell me?" I ask.

He raises his eyebrows. "Fine. I'll say my story quickly, then you have a lot of explaining to do." Tom had always been the one to help me with girl advice, but in this case... Everything was a lot different now. Even he knew that.

"Wait, wait." Tom says. "You have to tell me about when she came over."

"Oh." I say. "She just came, I swear to God I didn't even invite her. And she brings me this burger, how in the hell did she know that I was hungry and know exactly what to get me? Whatever, so she's here, and she's talking about how she wants to stay over with me during the day to keep me company. Fuck, right? Then we were talking about dogs, and she's a dog person, goddamnit, and she just got so happy to see Jax."

"Then you drove her home." Tom says. I nod. "Why didn't you make a move on her?" He wiggles his eyebrows, and I know he's referring to how I also kissed Maria in my car.

"I swear I'm gonna fucking punch you." I said. He laughed. "Your turn."

"Well, first off, she talks about you a lot, I mean it. She pities you so much."

"She pities me. She probably thinks of me as a fucking puppy." I groan.

"Calm down! I haven't even started. Okay, so she comes to eat with Kate and me at lunch, asking about the tryout. So these two guys made it, one small guy, and, get this. Cameron Sweeney."

"What. Seriously?" I ask. Fuck. Why did Coach hate me?

"So Kate's just talking about him, and out he walks, out of fucking nowhere. You won't believe it. He starts flirting with her." Tom explains.

"Cameron! Flirting with...?" I ask. What the hell?

"Yes, no joke. Then he kinda asked her to start tutoring him, so there's your competition." Tom jokes. I shot him a death glare.

"Fucking Cameron? Seriously?" I ask.

"Apparently he's good, too, he's just really stupid. He's so loved, too, he's just gonna make a move on her." Tom says, and I know, I saw this coming. Fuck.

"Okay, stop talking about him. Then what?" I ask, wanting Tom to stop talking about her, but still so intrigued on what he was saying.

"Now Braden comes out of fucking nowhere, asking if they could talk in the washroom. When she came back, she said something like he wanted her back, but she hates him now." Tom explains.

"That's good." I smile. At least we were on the same page about something.

"Then she started crying. No joke. And when we asked her why she was crying, she said three things. One, Braden is an ass. Two, she's upset about her foot. And three..." He trails off, raising his eyebrows at me.

"What?" I ask. Why would he stop his goddamn story at a time like that?

"She still thinks what he did to you was her fault, she's so upset." Tom's voice is quieter, and I have to refrain from shouting out. Why the fuck was Braden such an idiot in the first place?

I can't choose to comment out loud about it, I don't want to blow up. "Back to Cameron. You really think he'll make a move?" I ask. I didn't want to sound like a desperate idiot, but... screw it, that's exactly what I sounded like.

"Jon, she's perfect, everyone would make a move if they had a chance. Blond hair, beautiful eyes, she's smart, nice, too friendly, she does sports, she's president, she's honestly the IT-girl--"

"Tom." I interrupt. "Move on. Please." I beg. Oh god, Jon, think good thoughts. Think of Maria, think of something, anything other than her.

"Fine. He's great too, I mean, he's not ugly. She looked happy talking to him, but she also looks happy talking to everyone else, I don't know." He says.

"Fuck." I mumble.

"What do you think?" Tom asks.

"I think she's gonna ask me about him first. And she's gonna try and keep it platonic, but he's gonna try something on her, and just... fuck." I roll my eyes, already knowing how the whole thing would play out.

"He's friends with Braden, obviously we know how this'll turn out." Tom says. Shit. I completely didn't realize Cameron and Braden were friends. That means he's honestly bad news.

I sigh, rubbing my forehead. "I'm gonna have to go soon. What do you want?" Tom asks.

"I need your help." I mumble. "I need to stop thinking of her like that. But god, she's just so nice, and so fucking sweet, and she has a broken foot, and she wants to help me, and I want to help her, and she's hot, I mean, I can't say that, and fuck. I don't know. How the hell did this happen?" I groan.

Tom has the most amused face right now, and I hate it. He should be helping me stop this, not feeding into how fun this must be for him. "What do I do?" I ask. "Maria's great, and I need to stop thinking about fucking Taylor, and just love Maria. So what do I do?"

Tom stands up. "That's a good question." He says. "Too bad I don't want to help you." He starts walking away.

"Tom!" I shout. "You have to, because you're my best friend, and you have to get me out of this mess. So please, please, just help."

"Fine." He says, stopping in his tracks. "I would suggest doing the cutting off contact with Taylor thing, although you're not too good at that. And just do more with Maria. But I also think you gotta talk to her, because you definitely are a terrible person." He tells me.

"But now that I said what I said about Taylor." I start, wincing at the sound of her name. "It's all out there. It makes it all true."

"I know." Tom says, walking closer to my door. "And you're in too deep, buddy. Just try and stop thinking about this so you can get better." He says, now walking out.

The only problem is that I don't think I can stop thinking about this, and after today, there's no way I'm getting better.

——

i haven't uploaded in forever but this chap and all the next few were prewritten so yeah... this has gotta be one of my fav chapters in the book so far 😂 but yeah intense chapter! love it though, haha. i know i didn't use too many names, so now, knowing what you know, if you're still confused you should read the chapter over. anyway, leave a vote if you'd like, and i'll see ya next time :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 9.2K 54
Book 2 of 3 Highly recommend you read book 1 first. Tanner 'T.J.' Levine has it all- looks, money, fame, and skill on the ice. His natural talent go...
116K 1.3K 36
meet maddy crosby, a normal 19 year old who is living a dream of being a photographer. what happens when she meets connor mcdavid?? [completed & edi...
945K 27.1K 66
COMPLETED - It's puck at first sight for Jules Martin, when his gaze falls on Luna Larsson at his first College ice hockey game with a new team. The...
4.4M 89.5K 60
When photography student, Willow Kennedy, gets offered an internship with her college's renowned ice hockey team, The Michigan Wolverines, she antici...