The Waitress and the Wolf (Bo...

By ImmaNarwhal_nbd

Having been a runaway at 16, Venus makes her living as a waitress in a small town, with small minded people... More

Chapter 1. Table 4
Chapter 2. Appearances
Chapter 3. Blue Eyes
Chapter 4. Letters
Chapter 5. The Fourth Letter
Chapter 6. Last Night
Chapter 7. Cold Shoulders
Chapter 8. Day 5
Chapter 9. Bake-Off
Chapter 10. Repercussions
Chapter 11. The Beast
Chapter 12. Intimate
Chapter 13. The Guardian
Chapter 14. Birthday Party
Chapter 15. Fire
Chapter 16. Trapped
Chapter 17. Shaken
Authors note 1
Chapter 18. Questions
Chapter 19. The Call
Chapter 20: Like Chicago part 1/2
Chapter 20: Like Chicago part 2/2
Chapter 21: Surprise part 1/2
Chapter 21: Surprise Part 2/2
Chapter 22. Awakened
Chapter 23. Flicker
Hey
Chapter 25. Maybe
Chapter 26. On Her Terms
Chapter 27. Trust in Me
Chapter 28. Crisis
Chapter 29. Where We Belong
Chapter 30. Venus Fly Trap
Chapter 31. The Guardian
Chapter 32. The End

Chapter 24. Feeling Red

2.2K 90 4
By ImmaNarwhal_nbd

Woah look ah dah, a fast ish update lol.

This will be in some 3rd and some 1st person!!

QOTD: Do you prefer 1st person or 3rd?

MY ANSWER: I prefer to write in 3rd and read in 1st

Venus scrubbed the table, her hand going repetitive circular motions, over and over again. The table seemed clean, but she was lost in her own world. Her thoughts were consumed by yesterday's conversation with Demetri.

Getting herself together for work was a struggle. She hadn't spoken with Moira, and although she had a feeling Will remained innocent from all of the lies and deceit, she couldn't trust anyone anymore. 

She could feel the heated gaze of Moira every second of the day. Though the two didn't talk, the tension could cut like a knife. Venus couldn't even fathom why Moira had lied, the two were friends.  Or so she thought. It was hard, because Venus did her best to try and understand what Demetri said, about corrupting her free willed choice of choosing a pack to protect and fight for. But on the other hand, she was drowning in a pool of lies. Moira, along with the others, only watched her sink.

"Honey, everything okay?" 

Marge trekked over, her hair bouncing with each step. Her look negated Venus. She was wearing bright blue eyeshadow, with a light pink lip. Her brightness radiated and then there was Venus, who needless to say, was in no mood to radiate. 

"Yeah," was all she could manage. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Moira talking to a customer at a table, but her attention was focused on Venus.

"You know you can talk to me," the older woman tried again. Her eyes met with Venus. The only sort of motherly figure the girl had. At the look in her eyes, Venus nearly melted and began to cry. She wanted to have a mother to hold in times of need, to have her rocked back and forth and to be told that everything would be okay. 

Marge had been great to her for the past years, but she felt ridiculous to reach out. It was her drama, and hers alone.

"I know. I'm fine, really."

"Oh? You've been cleaning this table for the past 10 minutes. Trust me, I like a clean table as much as the next gal, but I think this one could use a break," She smiled and put a hand on her shoulder before walking away.

Venus sighed, and set down the rag. Taking a moment, she meandered throughout the tables and booths, passed Moira, and near the kitchen. Looking for anything to keep her busy, aside from scrubbing tables and booths for 10 minutes, she eyed the trash can. It wasn't full, but she needed a new task.

Reaching down, she tied up the bag, and walked to the back door. As she entered the back, she couldn't help but be reminded of the few times Demetri had met her out here. The first time, while although very unpleasant, he'd been swiping shrimp from her hair. But the second time...his hands had been somewhere a little more different.

Venus touched her lips, remembering the way it felt when Demetri's mouth was on hers. The fire, the passion, the hunger...She couldn't shake the feeling. She'd never felt that way with anyone before, not even the boy from Chicago. She shook her head, to rid herself of all these memories, but Demetri remained imprinted in her brain.

Closing her eyes, she pictured him there, pinning her up against the wall. The energy bouncing off the walls as the two would stare at each other, not sure who would make the next move. She used to think he'd be the first one to make a bold step, but now she wasn't sure. The fire he could ignite in her could spread like a wildfire. But it was dangerous. He was dangerous.

She snapped open her eyes and reminded herself that he couldn't  be trusted. He was a liar. But what if he wasn't lying when he said those things about her, and how he felt? No, she had to shake the thought. 

She hauled the trash over the dumpster, and for once, went back inside from the back without a single disturbance.

The rest of work by slow. Brooke had the day off, and it was just Moira, and Venus. Marge had been busy counting register, and had left the two together. Venus safely assumed that Marge had no idea about Demetri's true roots, along with Moira's for she seemed oblivious to their tension. Marge had warned Venus that he was "trouble" but that was what everyone thought. 

Venus prepared the last table, and peered to her right. Table 4, sat a few booths over.  

That dastardly table. Where all the trouble began. If only she hadn't served the table that day, if only she hadn't worked that day. Would the two still have been on the current terms? Would she have discovered his secret one way or another? 

"Venus?"

Moira's voice caused her to jump.

"What?" Her words came out loose, and distant. She kept her back turned to Moira, like how Moira had done to her. 

"Can we talk?" The goth tried.

"About what? I'm off right now so I should get home."

"Perfect, I'll walk with you."

Venus's frown deepened. 

"Really, I think it's fine."

"Kidnapped girls around here, remember? You might not want me as your company, but given the situation-"

"Yeah? Which situation are you referring to?" Her voice dripped with poison, and Moira recoiled as though she'd been bitten. She kept her composure, although she definitely didn't enjoy taking an attitude for anyone. She bit her tongue as she allowed Venus to seethe. Any emotion was better than none at all, right?

Venus seemed deep in thought for a moment.

With a sigh, she set down the rag, and began to grab her things from the chair. 

"Let's go."

-

The air outside was brisk, and chilly. It was nice, and refreshing. It Venus feel like she could breathe again, even if it wasn't like how it used to. As the two passed by the buildings, Venus began to wonder about the townspeople. Who were these people she'd been living with since 16? What were they?

"Look, Venus, I'm sorry."

"For what? Lying to my face? Letting me be a pawn in someone else's game?" Venus's voice began to raise, the anger building in her very being. 

"I get it, okay? I get that you're upset. I would be too," Moira replied. Her stilettos were the only other thing breaking the silence. 

"No, no you don't!" Venus halted in the middle of the dark street, preparing herself for a fight. "My world was just turned upside down, Moira! Maybe you've been living in this sick, twisted world that you can call your home, but I can't!" Venus hissed. Moira glared daggers at her friend.

"I didn't pick this, Vee! You think I wanted to be apart of this shit?" 

Venus scoffed. "Oh, please, I'm sure you're loving the thrill of it! C'mon, you hate this place, and the people. You obviously love the drama, and guess what, you're in the very core of it! I heard about Reese. A Peacekeeper? Magic? Sounds completely, and totally, 100% Moira!" 

If looks could kill, the two would've murdered each other right then and there. 

"I didn't know any of this would happen! Just let me explain myself!"

"How do I know that you're not just going to lie to me again?"

"Because!" Moira was exasperated, trying to reason with Venus was difficult, but she expected nothing less. "I didn't know anything until I got involved with Reese, okay? He told me everything a few nights after we met."

"You're just going to trust some guy? And believe all that bullshit?" Venus retorted with a condescending scoff. 

"Look, I know you're still trying to get the hang of how things are nowadays, but you're being a real pain in the ass right now."

Venus balled up her fists and began to walk away. She was so angry, she could feel the color red. 

"Oh, so you're going to run? Just like last time? Things get hard and poor little Venus just gets to walk away!?" Moira shouted from the distance.

"Fuck you!" Venus called.

"No, fuck you Venus! Everyone is trying to help you and you're being a huge dick!"

Venus turned on her heel, ready to lurch at the blonde.  Moira's hands were loose at her sides, also in balls. Her dark eyemakeup helped emphasize her anger.

"You better learn to suck it the fuck up, because you're on a roller coaster and you can't get off, just like the rest of us!"

"You want to say that again?" Venus inched closer, clenching her teeth. What was she getting herself into? She wanted to lunge at her, tear her eyes out. 

"It's not just you anymore Venus! You can't just look out for yourself anymore!"

"Yeah, only if I decide to give one side my God damn blessing," She said. There wasn't much more to say, she was exhausted.

"Stop being such a fucking pussy about it."

"Keep talking, maybe you'll say something intelligent," Venus growled.

Suddenly, Moira reached for Venus, tackling her to the ground. She clawed at her face, earning multiple shouts from the girl who was to be the Guardian. As Moira lifted another pale arm to prepare another fest of scratching, Venus took her shot. She put her weight on her shoulder to flip them.

Now Moira would feel the wrath of Venus. But she played differently, and aimed a fist for her jaw. With wide eyes, Moria jerked out of the way, causing Venus to hit the ground. She let out a scream, but remained focused on landing every possible jab on Moira. She aimed another punch, this time scuffing Moira's jaw.

"What the hell?" A shout appeared from afar.

But the two were so busy scuffling around on the ground that they paid little, to no attention to anyone near or around them.  

"Why did you lie to me Moira? You...could have," the two tussled around again, "let me know!" With Venus on top, Moira rolled them to the side.

"You know we couldn't!" 

The two struggled a little longer.

"Stop!" Venus screeched, halting all movement. Moira was on top of her, preparing another hand. "Just-stop." 

Venus put her hands on the ground, and started to catch her breath. Moira studied her, panting, and rolled off, laying beside her. The two stared up at the sky, not saying a word, but instead only fought to catch their breath.

"I thought you were my friend," Venus whispered, much like a child. 

"I am. I wanted to tell you, I did. You have to understand the smallest mistake could cost over 100 lives. I couldn't be that mistake."

Venus looked over at the gutterpunk, who turned her head to view Venus. The two had roughed each other up quite a bit. Moira had a split lip, and Venus's eye began to throb.

"I don't know what to do."

"Me either. But I can tell you one thing," Moira replied, with a lighthearted smile. With raised eyebrows, Venus waited. 

"It'll be a lot easier with a friend."

"What the hell is going on here?" 

The girls looked up, arching their necks. Reese stood there, eyes wild with disbelief and irritation.

"So, I have to keep two packs from destroying each other, and now I have to look over you and the Guardian?" Moira sighed, and slowly sat up, her blonde hair in wild knots. Venus followed suit, not feeling too well. 

"What's the matter with you two?" Reese bent down on a knee and studied us with curiosity. He drew his face down his hand and paused at his lip ring. 

"Well, it was your way, or our way," Moira said with a shrug, glancing at her friend. At least, she had hoped they were friends. 

"We picked the latter," Venus added, clasping a hand over her eye.

"If Demetri sees this he'll kill me for not killing you," Reese said to Moira with stress written on his face. 

"Can't you do anything you want? I mean, yeah Demetri can turn into a giant dog, but you're magical right?" Venus asked. 

Reese straightened up, offering a hand to Moira first. She stood up, and gave him a simple peck on the cheek for his troubles. She turned, and offered a hand to Venus. Studying it, she took it and stood up. 

"I guess you could say I'm-" Reese looked around the street, and the few passerby's watching the girls had all disappeared.  "Magic."

"Why don't we go somewhere else to talk. Somewhere not so private?" Reese added, eyeballing the surrounded area. 

Venus sighed. 

-

V e n u s

The car ride was silent, and had my insides churning. I didn't feel great about fighting Moira, but damn, she had pissed me off.  Maybe the catfight was necessary, and maybe we could move on. Be real friends.

"We're here."

"Cute place," I said, taking in the brick walls. Aside from everything, it was a shockingly normal house. The lawn was green, grassy even, with a couple of plants here and there along with flowers. It was a one story brick house, and it was undeniably adorable.

"Thanks," Reese murmured. 

We got out of the car, and I watched as Moira immediately reached for Reese's. The two walked inside, never looking back. I hesitated, and looked behind me, towards the moon in the night sky.

"Are you coming or what?" Moira hollered. I tore my eyes from my the moon and followed the path inside. 

I walked in and the inside was pretty much wooden, with white finishing. It  was so simple, and clean, and most of all, normal. 

I followed them into the living room, past the kitchen. I took a seat on a leather sofa, where Reese and Moira sat across from me on the smaller sofa. 

"So, shoot," Reese said. 

I froze, thinking of my first question. "How do I choose a side?"

"It's simple really. You just swear an allegiance to either Alpha under a blood oath. Nothing too crazy."

Though he seemed calm about it, I could only imagine myself having my throat slit and the blood falling into a golden chalice. 

"The, uh, pack. Demetri's the alpha, so is Landon. What else do I need to know about packs?" I asked.  My question, however broad, needed to be answered. 

"Well the number in packs varies. Smaller ones consist of 10 to 15. Those are usually smaller, family packs. Then there are others that have hundreds. Yet just because there are many, does not mean that they all must live in one place. Think of it, almost like a government. They are called when needed. Only few trusted pack mates live near the Alpha, or those who are granted permission."

"Okay, and how many would you say Demetri and Landon have?"

Moira huffed. "Landon has at least 500. Demetri's pack consists of, maybe, I wanna say...a little over 350." My breath escaped me. How could Landon have so many? How did he keep in contact with them?

"Like I said, the pack mates are called on when needed. Many live in other states, and a rare few live in other countries."

"Okay...tell me about Landon."

Moira glanced at Reese.

"Landon is older than Demetri, and more experienced as an Alpha. He's smarter than many before him, and knows how to keep his pack loyal. He's established many allies throughout his reign and has kept a steady trade with many other smaller packs who have given them his loyalty. They offer that, and he provides protection and leadership," Reese explained. Moira continued for him.

"He's also a snob. He'll give the dirtiest task to the smallest of children to keep his hands clean. He had a different approach to try to persuade you in hopes to funding our diner. But of course, Marge refused to have some big corporate business interfere."

"I see. So, is Brooke-"

"One of them? Yes. She's his daughter so naturally she'll have the same genes. The same goes for her freak show brother. He's always wanted to be a Peacekeeper, especially since the death of his mom."

I frowned, I wasn't here to talk about the unfortunate family history of Brooke Silver, but rather father.  I knew I should be more sympathetic, but I just couldn't find it in me. 

"And Demetri?" I finally asked. I peeked up at Moira and Reese through my lashes, keeping my head down.

"Well, he had a brother, as I'm sure you know."

"Logan," I said, confident that they knew he had a name. Reese nodded. "Yes, Logan. He was the younger Williams brother, and was very bright, and very kind. While he would always fight for his brother's pack he hated the idea of a Guardian-no offense," He added.

"Don't worry, the feeling is mutual," I said with light smile.

"Right," Reese smiled, and continued, "Well as I'm sure you know, he was murdered by Tyrese's pawns. Logan was the first to discover that you were the Guardian, before the Peacekeepers knew. And trust me, we know everything about everything in this town."

"And I'm guessing, Tyrese isn't too fond of the idea of Guardians either?"

"Well," Moira frowned, "it's a little more complicated than that. Tyrese and his followers don't belong to a pack. Their loners. Tyrese has somewhat been known as their leader for a while, but that doesn't really stop them from attempting to cause trouble wherever they go. The loners don't typically believe in the Guardian for the sole purpose that she will kill off an entire pack."

All the sudden, Tyrese didn't seem like such a bad guy for this idea. 

"Instead, they want to destroy the human race. They believe their kind to be inferior to humans. I can't help but agree, considering all of mankind's wrongdoings, but I don't believe in mass genocide either."

And in that instant, I hated Tyrese again.

"Okay, so they killed Logan because he would tell Demetri about me? And they don't want that because it will start the...the..."

"Great Battle, Final War, tomato, potato," Moira said with the roll of her eyes.

"So, that's how Logan died," I muttered. Imagine, knowing such an urgent secret, trying to get it in the right hands, and then..I shook my head. Logan died that night he accidentally dialed the diner number. That was only a few weeks ago. I felt selfish and disgusted with myself. How could I not have asked Demetri about this? About how he was feeling? I knew that feelings, and Demetri didn't go together like bread and butter, but I felt ashamed for never have asked. 

"The Guardian is picked based on the stars. One can't choose to be a Guardian, it chooses her. And picks someone strong."

I glanced at Reese, who was staring at me with intense blue eyes. 

"It picked wrong, hate to break it to you," I said, crossing my arms and leaning back.

The three of them sighed in unison.

"I know you don't understand the customs of Demetri's kind just yet, but trust me, everything that has happened, has happened as it should. We just didn't predict that you would find out about everything like this. Usually, the Guardian chooses a side before she realizes the situation."

"You keep saying she." It's all I can say with all of this information. 

"The Guardian is always female. She is a descendant of the Moon Goddess. In our religion, she is our God. The equivalent to Mother Nature I suppose. And one thing that is true for all of Landon and Demetri's kind, including some of mine, the Moon Goddess knows all that is true and pure. And they believe in her harder than anyone could believe in a religion."

My head was swarming with everything I've been told.

"Okay," I said, putting my hands to my head and rubbing my temples. 

"One last thing. What is Demetri to me?" I asked.

Moira froze and sucked her teeth. Reese couldn't look me in the eye.

"It's not really my place to say. That's a conversation only meant for the two of you," he said with a half smile.

"What are you and Moira?" I asked more pointedly. The air seemed to have been taken from them.

"No more lies," I added, staring at Moira. She seemed stunned, and speechless. She looked towards her boyfriend, but he said nothing.

"Reese is...well, he's my permanent boyfriend?" She tried with a fake smile, but I wasn't amused. 

"Moira and I are what's known as Destined. It only happens when you are of different race than human. But being destined for someone has many different meanings. It can mean a best friend, who never leaves your side. A brother, a sister, a caregiver-"

"A lover," I said, although I wasn't sure they could hear me. 

"If that is what is chosen. For some," Reese stared at me, and really looked at me, "a protector."

"So you guys..can't break up then? What, like soulmates?" I asked with a forced laugh.

"Exactly like soulmates. But I mean, it's a normal relationship still, um, sort of," Moira said with a laugh. 

"That's enough information today. You should go home, get some rest," Reese said with a smile. I glanced in the kitchen to see the clock. It was 2 in the morning. I didn't realize how tired I was until Reese suggested I get some shut-eye.

"I'll drive you home. You wanna come or stay baby?" Reese asked Moira. She let out a wild yawn, and he had his answer. 

-

"Are you okay?" Reese asked me, pulling into my driveway.

"I don't know. Will I ever be okay? Will I ever be good?"

He sighed. "I'm sorry you were put in this position, Venus. I wish there was something I could do to help."

"You can't make a spell to stop time, can you?" I asked with a frown. "Or give a me a good disguise?"

He chuckled and shook his head. "There are many different types of Magyk. Unfortunately, I've never been able to master time. As far as disguise, try a halloween store," He said. I let out a smile, a genuine smile. It was all I could muster up. I hoped that with time, I would be able to smile more.

"Thank you," I said, and opened the door. I closed it and walked to my apartment, ruffling my keys from my purse. 

"Oh, Venus?" Reese called from the open window.

"I know he can be a beast, but give him a chance. You might find you'll be happier if you do."

I nodded, and opened the door. Once in, I closed it, locked it, and leaned against it for support.

I didn't know what I was going to do. But what I did know, was that my bed was calling my name and I was more than willing to listen, and stop all, and any, kind of talking for the rest of the morning.

Okay, soooooooooooo, thoughts?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 2.2K 52
Hello there. updates will be very slow. there will be smut, fluff, strong language and others (I will be putting a warning before, not for fluff obvi...
4.8K 3.4K 64
Cover credits: SSS_Penname. Life doesn't move according to what we have planned. Destiny takes us through the unexpected, making us experience the un...
1.2K 20 12
Serenity has lived a peaceful life for most of her life. Now, things have begun to escalate to a point of no return with the werewolf attacks plaguin...
76.8K 794 20
~Book 1 of Soul Mates series~ After her fathers death, Rose is sent to live with her grandparents in a small town in Romania. There she discovers som...