Midnight Luna (#Wattys2015)

By _LightBringer_

Outcast. Bullied. Hated. Rejected. This was Hailey Johnson's life and she hated it. She takes a stand and dec... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Author's Note

Chapter Seventeen

12.9K 428 20
By _LightBringer_

Hailey's POV

"Hey what you doing out here?" Esme stepped out onto the porch and sat beside me on the steps.

Shrugging I stared at the orange sky. It was late evening and the sun's final rays adorned the sky for the last time today. The color blue, orange and grey merged into a band of waves dancing in their own music. No matter how many times I had witnessed this, every time it was as surreal as the first. The dull yet alluring shadows of the tree sent shivers down my spine. My gaze was fixed on the horizon as I nursed a cup of coffee.

"You know I would have thought you'd be dancing with the rest of them inside." She said jerking her thumb to the doors behind. Muffled music could be heard from within the walls of the pack house. It was all in my honor. Few hours ago I was sworn in as the new Pack Warrior of the Blue Sky Pack. The ceremony was short yet beautiful.

It began with Sloan welcoming the members and describing the purpose of the event, which was me overpowering Tyler. Tyler didn't show any signs of discomfort but in fact he looked happy. Well if he was faking it then it was a damn good act. Then Liam came on stage with Nate beside him and said good things about Tyler and then me. As I was called up onto the podium the room filled with loud claps. A huge smile formed on my face and I blushed a little. Sloan then motioned me to put my right hand on what looked like a tattered old book that he held in front of me and the other on my right shoulder. I was then told to recite the vows of pack warrior.

"I, Hailey Johnson, swear on this ancient book of Lycan that I will forever hold and cherish this pack with my life. I vow to protect every member wolf, she-wolf and cub from any harm. My allegiance lies with my Alpha and his Beta till I have served my purpose to this pack. May my service be fulfilling to my Alpha and his pack."

I was then told to kneel in front of Liam who held my wrist with his huge hand. For a few seconds nothing happened and I thought I might have done something wrong, but then suddenly my wrist stung as if a hit rod was pierced onto my skin. Flinching I wriggled my hand but Liam held it tight.

"Just a few seconds Hails." He whispered. Whimpering in silence, I nodded and surely enough few seconds later I was released. Getting on to my feet I looked at my hand and sure enough, there was a huge black burn on my wrist just below my thumb. My skin was tender and the pain was bearable but it did sting like hell. Great, that looked horrible and ugly. Keeping my thoughts to myself I bowed before my alpha and walked down as the ceremony ended.

The after party was amazing and I was sure the five boys had planned it down to a dime. But my mood gradually changed from joy to anxiety. It made me leave the party and come back here. Everyone was having a great time and no one noticed I was gone. Liam had gone off somewhere after few minutes of the party. He looked worried but I knew he would tell me what the problem is later.

"No Esme, I'm actually very happy to be pack warrior and it feels great. I'm just feeling overwhelmed so came out for some air." I replied. I put down my half-drunk coffee beside me and crossed my hands in front of me protectively. She placed her hand on my shoulder, "What's really bothering you Hails?" I asked slowly.

I rubbed my thumb on my burn, which had now magically turned into a tattoo that looked like a shield with a picture of a wolf howling towards the moon and two swords crossed behind it. It looked beautiful and every minuet curve and design was precise. The border of the shield was what I loved the most. There were fine writings written in some ancient language that had these really delicate strokes and that if not scrutinized well looked like a beautiful design. I wondered what it means; maybe I'll ask Liam someday.

"Esme is there ever a time when you feel this huge sense of fear wrap around you? As if the air around is sending you this message that something drastic is about to happen with you?" I asked, finally facing her.

"Yes yes I have heard of it, it called gut feeling honey." She joked. Laughing a little I nodded. "Yea something like that, I guess."

"Well everyone has instinct. It's your choice to either fear it or just embrace it and look forward to it to happen. Not everyone's instinct is right but it's not wrong to take precautions. But isolating yourself from others isn't how you deal with it." She advised. Turning back to face the now grey sky, I felt as if it was portraying my feelings. The greyness was the fear that enveloped my heart causing me to think of such dreadful thoughts.

"I just feel something is about to happen that will break all my barriers and leave me vulnerable to all. As if it will make me feel hurt and small, like how I felt three years back." I whispered. Frowning at me Esme held my hand crossing my fingers with hers, "Then we stand against it together." She smiled lovingly.

Smiling back I looked into her eyes which held motherly love and adoration. As I stared at every line on her face I knew she was the only thing I had close to family and that thought lifted my spirits knowing she will always be with me till the end. She held out her arms and I leaned into them. As she wrapped me in her arms, as I let myself forget about everything and just enjoyed it. Sighing, I closed my eyes and held her back tightly.

Liam POV

I was eyeing Hailey as she laughed at something Claire said. Her laugh was contagious and I smiled at her. Drinking my scotch, I leaned on the platform and just watched her from afar. I was sure I looked like a stalker but it's not my fault. Her beauty left me weak and my eyes just wouldn't leave her flawless face. She had just been sworn in as Pack Warrior and I couldn't be happier. Yes I was a little sad that Tyler lost, after all he was a very good Warrior but she won fair and square, I was proud both as her Alpha and boyfriend.

Her eyes searched around the room and it finally locked with mine. She flashed her breath taking smile at me and then blew me a kiss. I needed all my resistance to jump and catch that invisible kiss like a kid. Alphas don't do that but when I was with her Alpha and alpha duties were just swept under the mat.

She beckoned me to dance with her, so I nodded and put my drink down. Before I could take a step towards her, someone tapped my shoulder from behind.

"What's the matter, Xavier?" I asked him not hiding my irritation from being held back from her.

"My apologies alpha, but your presence is needed urgently. Something umm came up." He muttered and his face showed pity. That's odd, he never muttered.

"Fine, get Nate and Hailey. Now that she is Pack Warrior she needs to be present in this." I turned to call Hailey when Xavier answered, "I think it's best if we leave Hailey out of this. This is regarding her and her past."

Hearing that my heart stopped beating and my eyes opened wide. I should have known this day would come, when Hailey would be taken away from me. No not this time. I was going to be selfish and keep her. I was stubborn but the mere thought of losing her made my hands sweat and heart clench in pain. Even if she wasn't my mate, I took her as one and always thought after sometime I'd convince her to become mine completely.

Now that was never going to be possible. This can't be happening. I had never felt such dread before for losing someone, not even my father. My wolf was anxious about losing her. He had grown fond of her since we first laid eyes on her and both of us loved her deeply. Why was fate playing a dirty game with me? I'd give up everything if it meant I would get to be with Hailey forever. Why Luna, why wasn't she my mate. I just wanted to go in a corner and cry my eyes out.

But I couldn't, as alpha I couldn't be weak. So I collected myself before anyone saw my expression or read my feelings. Clenching my hands and taking deep breaths I steadied my composure back to normal.

"Nate is already waiting for you, Alpha." Giving him a curt nod, I locked back and saw Hailey's worried expression. Smiling at her reassuringly, I mouth 'Alpha duties' to her. She shook her head in disbelief but still smiled at me and then I made my way to my office. Taking large strides with Xavier following me close by, we reached my office. As we entered, I saw Nate on the couch, Sam, one of my warriors and Jones, the best scout and spy in my pack.

"Well will someone please tell me what the hell is going on?" I looked at each one of them. Nate got up and walked to me. "Liam, take a seat will you." Reluctantly I sat on my chair and rested my hands on the table.

"Well go on." I urged Nate to speak. He signed loudly as he sat back on the couch.

"Liam, Jones just heard the news that last night, a pack that lives on the border of USA had been attacked by rogues. Very few were injured and no deaths luckily." He said, taking a pause as if trying to choose his words carefully. This caused a deep frown to appear on my face.

"Ok so what's that got to do with us? I mean if they want help then I'll gladly help." I answered; I didn't understand what the urgency in this was.

"Hear me out first then decide ok Liam." I nodded and he continued. "But these attacks will continue. Rumor or rather a fact is these are Logan's doing." My eyes widen in recognition. "Yes the Logan, who Hailey is destined to kill and all that but let's not get into that. Well he is capturing packs and trying to get them on his side either willingly or by force. Since this pack is really strong like us they could fight and hurt few of them. So obviously Logan will take some time to attack again since he underestimated them. Well I for one hand know that he won't attack us soon since we already sent him a not so subtle message few weeks back." He grinned and so did the others.

"This pack alpha has asked us to meet somewhere at the border, between both our packs to discuss further details about this attack. We need to tell them all the information we know about Logan. We wanted your conformation on this." He looked at me, waiting for me to answer.

"Okay, let me get this straight. This pack you talk about is fine as far as I understand. Well we got to take some precaution, double the shifts of patrol and put are best warriors on duty 24/7. Warn everyone to be careful and keep a curfew for all. As for meeting them, you're right we need to tell them what we know but let's leave the details about Hailey till I know for sure they are on the good side." I looked up at them and they agreed silently.

I got up and faced Nate, "So what the hell did Xavier mean when he said it had something to with Hailey other than the Logan part?" I yelled.

I was pissed that they had made me afraid of losing Hailey for few minutes. The circumstance was dangerous and everyone will be on alert but nearly killing me with false news really got on my nerves. I watched as Nate got up and faced me. I was growing impatient. They were definitely hiding something.

"Well answer me Nate. Quit stalling." I yelled using my alpha command on him. My wolf was satisfied when I saw him bow in defeat and submission along with the others.

"Alpha, I'm sorry but this pack is ummm" He mumbled.

"What about this pack, Nate?" I growled. He looked up and I saw dread and sadness in them. "This is the Black Blood Pack."

"So what is that supposed to mean." It sounded familiar but why did it make him so sad.

Shaking his head he walked to me and held my shoulders. "Liam, this is Hailey's old pack and the alpha is her mate. His name is Zach, I know you know him." He said slowly, waiting for me to understand his words.

And just like that my world crashed. My breath came out in deep shallows and my shoulders stumped in defeat. The pain in my heart grew till it clenched it as if squeezing the life out of it. My façade broke and a lone tear escaped my eyes.

"NO"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 33.7K 28
Jade is a 15 year old girl. She is different from everyone in her pack. Because her eyes are multicolored she's bullied because no one has ever seen...
1.3M 35.2K 26
Zac Moon was the soon to be alpha of the Blood Moon pack. He was a typical player; using girls and treating them like toys. He never wanted a mate s...
426K 11.5K 23
#274 in soulmate #296 in Werewolf 9/17/16 He seems nervous and then he takes a deep breath and speaks up and his words are like venom piercing throug...
586K 13K 21
Emeli and Derek have been best friends ever since they could remember. Derek being the future alpha of the Shadow Moon Pack and her twin brother bein...