On Love's Wings ~ A Snotlout...

By SapphireEyes2000

"Snotlout Jorgenson...Dragon rider, cousin of Hiccup Haddock III, Hero of Berk...he could never want anyone l... More

A/N
Chapter 1 ~ Chance Encounters
Chapter 2 ~ Impressive
Chapter 3 ~ New Surroundings
Chapter 4 ~ The New Recruit
Chapter 5 ~ A Merry Snoggletog Indeed
Chapter 6 ~ The Name Game
Chapter 7 ~ Music of the Night
Chapter 8 ~ Jealousy
Chapter 9 ~ The Scourge of Odin
Chapter 10 ~ Dragon's Song
Chapter 11 ~ Rekindling The Fire
Chapter 12 ~ Wings of Change
Chapter 13 ~ Night Flight
Chapter 14 ~ Captured Hearts
Chapter 15 ~ Flames & Steel
Chapter 16 ~ Maybe...Mine?
Chapter 17 ~ An Elder's Pride
Chapter 18 ~ New Beginnings
Chapter 19 ~ The Heart Is Mightier
Chapter 20 ~ A Jorgenson Wedding
Chapter 22 ~ Dragon Scales & Drool

Chapter 21 ~ Glimpsing the Past

1.5K 32 14
By SapphireEyes2000

  The morning after our wedding, the sun shone brightly into the window of the hut, causing me to squint my eyes as I adjusted to the light in the room. For the slightest moment, I forgot what all had transpired the night before. Until I registered the feeling of strong arms wrapped around my waist from behind. Glancing over my shoulder, I recognized the man sleeping soundly behind me. Snotlout looked so peaceful, at ease and relaxed, his chest rising and falling with each breath. Almost childlike, in a weird way. Smiling, I rolled over, content to just lay there and watch him, as creepy as it sounded. This was so surreal. My fingers explored his frame; tracing his broad shoulders, running down muscular biceps, and across his sculpted chest, playing with the dark curls that rested there.

Time ticked by slowly, unwavering as I kept my gaze locked on my new husband. This man had been my best friend, or at least, my best male friend, for so long. I loved him so much. I hoped he was as happy with me as I was with him, especially after yesterday. Eventually, the man shifted, grumbling in his sleep. His nose twitched, and then his lip, and he finally broke into a grin. "Hooky, you know that tickles..." I giggled as he tried to swat my fingers away. Apparently his skin was highly sensitive. Hearing my voice, Snotlout's eyes flew open, and he reached for the blanket, clutching it against his chest. This of course, caused me to cackle more, burying my face into the pillow. "Brenna! Why ar-" He began, before noticing the state we were both in. "Oh...oh right...last night...we..." He trailed off, face reddening. I nodded, still laughing. Snotlout relaxed, a smile creeping onto his lips. "So...how was it?" He asked, nuzzling his nose into my neck. "You're incorrigible." I moaned, shaking my head. "But...it was fun..." I answered anyway, blushing and causing my lover to fist pump the air victoriously, his ego boosted more than it already had been.

We laid there for a bit longer, enjoying the comfort of our marriage bed, before deciding to get up and gather our things so that we could leave for our honeymoon. We each went to our families' huts to retrieve our weapons, basic travel necessities, and some different clothes, while saying goodbye to our parents. We would be gone for about a week and a half, off to do some exploring of our own.

My husband and I met each other with our dragons at the Great Hall. "Ready to go?" Snotlout called, climbing up onto Hookfang's neck as I stroked Nightwing's cheek scales. "Yes, sir!" I replied, smiling. Exchanging a glance, both Monstrous Nightmares took to the air. Seastrike and Suntooth would be staying behind with Duskwing, Stormfang, and Flameshadow, all of which were making themselves at home in the cave behind our home. My mother and Slyvi agreed to keep an eye the horde, promising to take care of them as if they were their own.

Once we were a fair distance from the mainland, Snotlout and I were able to breath again, feeling truly free. Don't get me wrong, Berk was wonderful, but we needed a break from the craziness of our families and our village. "Where do you want to go, babe?" Snotlout gestured to the vast territory ahead of us. I thought about it a moment, unsure. "Well...we have plenty of time to go anywhere we want." I remarked. Snotlout nodded, seemingly just as undecided as I was. Then something occurred to me, and I couldn't help the devious smirk that planted itself on my face. "What? I know that look..." Snotlout chuckled, meeting my eyes. "Well, if you think about it...I never got to spend the night with you on Dragon's Edge when you guys were living there." I reminded him. Snotlout blinked, taking in my words, and then smirked as he understood my implication. "That's true...Alright Fangster! The Edge it is!" He announced. Nightwing and Hookfang hissed at each other, before the pair flapped their wings, propelling us through the sky, toward the horizon.

The flight to Dragon's Edge didn't feel nearly as long as it usually did, but it may have been because of the dragons racing their way to the island. From what we could see of it, the Edge seemed untouched, as if nothing had transpired in the past year and a half since the riders packed their things and left. Even still, Snotlout and I knew better than to trust appearances, and together we did some sweeps over the island, making sure no dragon trappers had taken residence on their former home. When everything looked clear, Snotlout directed the dragons so that they landed at the stables, allowing us to dismount. The dragon couple flew away almost instantly, apparently wanting to have their own alone time.

Rebuffed by both of our friends, Snotlout and I shrugged, taking each other's hands and walking down the wooden steps and into the familiar territory. Once on flat ground, Snotlout and I practically ran to his hut, playing a game of chase, despite the fact that we were grown adults. We were laughing hysterically as we entered the abandoned building, Snotlout wrapping his arms around my waist as he caught me, attacking my shoulder and the back of my neck with small love bites. I giggled, trying to shrug him off, but to no avail.

When we were both out of breath, Snotlout let go of me, stretching his muscles as he turned to observe the abandoned hut that used to belong to him. Cracking my neck, I turned my head to the side, noticing something dark in the corner of the room, peeking out from underneath an empty barrel next to the door.

Stepping over to examine what the mass could be, I found myself dumbfounded by my discovery.

It was a crinkled up piece of parchment.

Unfolding the paper so that I could see what was written on it, I found something peculiar. It had obviously been here for the past couple years, the charcoal having smudged and wore off from exposure to the elements. Yet, I could still make out most of it."Brenna, the name belonging to a girl so beautiful I can't think straight. Her voice ensnares me like dragon to a Death Song. Her eyes are brighter than the pale sky. Her lips look so soft. I normally laugh at Fishface for writing stuff like this, but I can't get her out of my head. She's my best friend, but I can't stop thinking about what it would be like to be the one she comes home to one day. Her viking in shining armor. Don't get me wrong, she can fight like a valkyrie, but still, it would be nice to be her rock, the one she came to for any and everything that troubles her. I want to make her problems go away. I want her to be with me. But I can't ever tell her. I'm so stupid..." I recognized the messy handwriting, and my heart ached. So he did care about me for a long time before Minden came along. "Whatcha got there?" Snotlout's voice was right in my ear. I flinched, almost dropping the parchment.

Reaching over my shoulder, I handed it to my husband, waiting to see what his reaction would be when he read it. His eyes fell upon his words from what seemed like so long ago, and I watched him swallow thickly. "I remember writing this....I was going to put it in a book I was trying to make. But...all I found myself able to write about was you..." He admitted. I felt my heartbeat accelerate in my chest, pounding against my ribs. "Those words, they're beautiful Snotlout. Why didn't you ever finish the book?" I asked, still amazed that even back then, my husband thought so much of me. Snotlout shrugged. "We had so much going on, it just didn't seem like the right time. And then you and I finally got together. It seemed pointless by then." He explained. Holding my hand out, I found my eyes back on the parchment. "Can I keep that then?" I hoped he would say yes. Snotlout cocked his head, seemingly puzzled as to why I would want a dingy old piece of writing. "You like it that much?" He wondered, returning it to me. I nodded, folding it over and tucking it into the top of my tunic next to my breast dagger.

My hands suddenly found themselves entwined with Snotlout's. "Well, maybe one day I could write you a novel." He continued, squeezing my fingers within his own. My lips formed into a grin as I met his soft gaze again. "You would write a book for me?" "For you, my wife, I could fill a book with everything I love about you. And I would dedicate it to you. And I'd call it, The Adventures of Brenna the Brave, Goddess Among Men." He explained, looking completely serious. I couldn't help the small chuckle that escaped my lips, and I shook my head a bit as I stood on my toes and kissed him softly. "Well then...I look forward to reading it." I commented, breaking from him for a split second to speak before returning with twice as much force. Snotlout cupped my face, holding me to him, obviously savoring the feeling of our lips pressed together.

Needing air in his lungs, Snotlout eventually pulled away to stare at me. "You are literally breathtaking, Brenna." He whispered. Noticing his pun, I smacked his arm playfully. "Thanks, babe." He chortled, hugging me against his chest. We stood there for a few more moments, basking in the warmth of the sun coming into the hut from outside and enjoying the safety of each other's arms.

A shrill screaming sound came from somewhere below the hut, familiar and yet strange all the same, causing Snotlout and I to look at each other in confusion, before letting go and striding over to the doorway to investigate. On the ground, a large russet mass was charging through the brush around what used to be the central area of camp where my friends had gathered so many times before. A boar, and by the looks of it, an angry one. He was charging the sleeping Night Terrors and Terrible Terrors that were on the grass, his scruffy dark fur spiked in every which way, and scars mottling his tough flank.

Casting a look at Snotlout, I reached over my shoulder, drawing my bow and arrows. It had been a long flight to the Edge, and it would be a lie to say that I wasn't hungry. Besides, I was sure my husband and our dragons would be wanting to eat soon too. And that creature was portly, enough meat on it's bones to feed the four of us for the night. "Hey, Snotlout..." I whispered to get his attention. His gaze shifted from the rampaging creature and instead landed on my weapon. "How about I cook you a nice dinner, babe? Restore the energy I took from you?" I winked at him. Snotlout rubbed his stomach. "I don't know what I did to deserve you. Plus, I've been craving pork for a while." Taking that statement as an answer, I raised the bow up, nocking an arrow and pointing it down at an angle. "Care if I take the shot?" I questioned, focusing on the wild animal snorting as it galloped in small circles. "Be my guest." Snotlout replied, stepping back and crossing his arms over his chest.

Breathing deeply, I closed an eye and pulled back the string. The boar paused momentarily, its pointed ears twitching as if it heard something in the far distance, while its body was facing Snotlout's hut, it's soft chest exposed and vulnerable. Using the moment to my advantage, I released the arrow, feeling the soft feathers brush passed my fingers and cheek as it soared away from us, heading straight into the boar's heart. The poor creature collapsed at once, not even having the time to squeal in panic before the life left it's body.

Lowering my weapon and slinging it back over my shoulder, I glanced back at Snotlout, finding him already watching me. "Nice shot, babe." He praised, clapping his hands. I bowed deeply. "Thank you, thank you." I responded. "Yeah, one thing though, you might want to get that boar before a dragon does." My husband reminded me. I immediately stood up, realizing he had a point. I heard him laughing as I jogged away, heading across the bridge and down the column that led down to the ground level.

Lungs aching for air, I skid to a stop where the boar should have been, only to find it was already gone. I looked around wildly, searching the nearby area to see if one of the smaller dragons had already taken off with the kill. "Looking for something, princess?" My husband's voice broke through the haze of my thoughts, causing me to turn to my left. Hookfang and Snotlout were hovering above the grass, the boar hanging limply in the Monstrous Nightmare's claws. Nightwing was circling overhead, her head tilted down to watch what was happening below her. "H-how did yo-?" I panted, doubling over to catch my breath, knowing the boar was safe and secure, ready to become a meal. "Babe, we have dragons...some things are faster this way..." My husband pointed out. I rolled my eyes, straightening my spine and putting a hand on my hip. "Not funny." I retorted. Snotlout gave me a toothy grin, leaning on his dragon's horns. "Oh, it totally was. Sorry wifey, but that was good." He remarked. Lifting one of my eyebrows, I gawked at him. "Oh really. Well then, I guess you can cook dinner and sleep by yourself tonight."

Hearing my threat, Snotlout batted his eyelashes at me and dismounted his dragon. Hookfang snorted, seemingly amused by his rider's change in attitude since my comment. "Brenna, oh love of my life, I am so honored to be your husband. My words were ignorant, and my mind elsewhere. Such trickery was immature and stupid. Please, allow me to make it up to you..." He trailed off, getting on his knees before me and reaching for my hands, kissing my knuckles. "That's more like it." I replied, gripping his arm and getting him back on his feet. "Seriously, sorry babe." He replied. I smirked, "Yeah, yeah. I know. Don't worry. I'll still cook tonight, and you won't have to sleep alone. This time." I told him, accepting his apology. He smiled, kissing my cheek in appreciation. "Oh thank you, princess. You won't regret it!" Then his face came closer to me, his breath ghosting over my ear. "I promise..." He finished, tone betraying a certain implication that made me redden at the thought.

Clearing my head, I stepped back, looking around Snotlout and to Hookfang. Nightwing was next to her mate, the pair sniffing the boar hungrily. "Okay you two, let's head up to the clubhouse and start a fire. That boar right there is big enough to feed all off us." I admonished the two, hoping they didn't decide to go ahead and eat the dead animal in their clutches. Nightwing swatted me with her tail, and Hookfang hissed at Snotlout when he tried to grab the boar from his claws. Then, as if thinking better of it, Nightwing lowered her neck, offering me a ride to the clubhouse, encouraging Hookfang to do the same. Snotlout mounted his dragon and we headed up to the largest abandoned hut.

Once inside, the dragons finally allowed us to have the prey back, and Snotlout helped me set up the fire pit and the spit for me to cook the boar over. I reached inside one of my saddlebags, retrieving some potatoes, while Snotlout cut open the pig and removed its organs and fat tissues, the parts that neither of us really cared to eat, but our dragons would love. I filled an old pot with some water and set it over the flames along with the eviscerated boar, the hair burning off of its body and the meat beginning to sear once the heat began to set in. The dragons waited outside, resting side by side, stretched out across the wooden planks. Snotlout went around in search of any stools that remained from their last days living here, that way we didn't have to sit on the floor if we didn't need to. He came back a while later, carrying two chairs and setting them at the table that stood in the corner of the room. The humble meal didn't take long to prepare, and soon I found myself pulling the creature off the fire along with the boiled potatoes.

Snotlout and I ate in a comfortable quiet, speaking only every so often, but mainly just taking in the solitude and relishing in the taste of the modest dinner. Snotlout apparently appreciated the food more than I realized before, because I heard him humming every now and then. "Brenna, this...this is delicious." He finally muttered, swallowing a mouthful of food. "I'm glad you like it. But really, it's not all that much. Just something to hold us over for the night." I replied, throwing some of my leftover meat over to the dragons. "Yeah, well, after years of dealing with the Twins cooking, or Heather on the rare occasion, and hoping Astrid wasn't making a meal, you are a gift sent from Valhalla." He explained. I smiled, pleased that he was happy with the food.

When we were both done eating, we gave the dragons the boar carcass to finish picking apart, and cleaned up the mess we had made before heading back up to Snotlout's old hut.

We climbed into the small bed together, sharing one blanket but relying on each other for the majority of warmth. He insisted upon spooning, my back pressed against his chest and his strong arms around my stomach. "You know, three years ago, you may have slapped me for getting this close to you." Snotlout smirked, his broad fingers drawing circles on my hip. I glanced back at him, shrugging. "I don't know...I might've liked it." I couldn't help the heat that filled my body at that concept. Snotlout stopped his movements. "Oh? Is that so?" His lips brushed over my bare shoulder, edging close to my neck. I closed my eyes, humming in pleasure. "Hiccup told you I couldn't stay here when I visited. That doesn't mean I didn't want to." I retorted softly. I felt Snotlout's laugh more than I heard it, his breathing stuttering in his chest and causing him to shake, betraying his amusement. "Since that's the case...we could always...make up for lost time..." He offered when he had settled down. I rolled over, turning to face him. "I suppose that could be arranged..." I smirked, reaching over to play with his hair. He leaned into my touch, closing his eyes for the briefest moment before shifting so that he could place a gentle kiss on my lips. And as I closed my eyes to return the sweet gesture, the stars twinkled above, and the dark shadows of two Monstrous Nightmares circled the evening sky.

When dawn came the following morning, Snotlout and I left his old hut to go flying around the Edge, giving Hookfang and Nightwing some friendly competition for the first time in a while. "Hey babe, wanna race around the island?" I glanced over my shoulder at my husband as he and his dragon glided through the sky behind us. Snotlout grinned, patting Hookfang's head affectionately. "Sure, we could always play Beat the Dome too." He remarked. "We don't have anyone to pull the switch though..." I reminded him, causing a frown to form on his lips. We stared at each other for a moment, and then Snotlout shrugged. "Okay, a race around the island it is. Wanna start from Fishlegs' pond and make our way all around the island, behind the mountain, through the sea stacks, and head back here?" "Full circle?" I clarified. "Full circle." He agreed. I smiled, "Alright, you're on." Snotlout and Hookfang dived downward, heading toward what used to be Fishleg's pond and rock garden area.

Nightwing and I followed close behind, landing directly to their left. Snotlout and I gave the dragons a moment to catch their breath. When the pair of reptiles had calmed down and were waiting patiently for our commands, my husband and I exchanged a glance. "On my word." Snotlout started. Nightwing and Hookfang lowered their necks, their jaws wide as they took in the scent of the air and hissed at each other. I crouched down behind Nightwing's horns, my knuckles wrapped tightly around them and anticipation building up within my chest. "1...2..." Snotlout muttered, maneuvering into his own stance upon his dragon's neck. A tense minute passed as each dragon shuffled their wings, anxiously hoping to take off. "Go!" The moment the word left his mouth, our dragons shot into the air, a blur of aqua and orange twisting around themselves, their bellies parallel as they circled one another, rapidly gaining altitude.

It wasn't until we had soared into the white clouds above that the pair split, Hookfang breaking off to head in the direction of the stables. "Come on, girl. Let's show them what we've got!" I encouraged my friend. Nightwing roared in agreement, extending her wings outward and pushing herself forward with a powerful thrust. Although Hookfang and Snotlout had a bit of a head start, they were going extremely fast, meaning they would tire out sooner than Nightwing and I. Nightwing propelled through the air, her tail whipping around behind her like a weapon in itself. Snotlout glanced back at me, cheekily blowing me a kiss. Copying his motions, I did the same, adding a flirtatious wave. Nightwing let out a sort of snort, capturing the attention of her mate from behind. It was at that moment that I noticed we had come up on one of the bends of the island. Soon we would be flying next to the mountains that towered well above the earth below. Hearing his mate call, Hookfang's head swung back to look over his shoulder. I noticed a low hanging tree branch hanging out from a nearby cliff, dangling over the rushing water below. Of course, it was right in my husband's path. "Snotlout!" I shouted in an attempt to save the dragon and rider from an accident caused by the offending obstacle. "Look out!" He tilted his head in confusion, turning around and realizing what I had been trying to do. "Hookfang, dive!" Snotlout yelled, pushing on his dragon's horns. The male dragon did as told for once, narrowly avoiding a collision with the branch as he swerved around and came back up on the other side of the obstacle. They had slowed down though, allowing Nightwing and I to catch up with them.

Seeing that my husband and his dragon were safe, I glanced down at my friend. "Did you do that on purpose?" I asked her. Her violet eyes flashed with something that reminded me of mischief and she snorted. "You little cheat..." I teased, shaking my head. "Hookfang is rubbing off on you too much..." Hookfang and Snotlout were focused on gaining their bearings once again, the great orange reptile shaking his head to clear it, making his rider dizzy. "You okay, babe?" I called over to Snotlout. He nodded, appearing as though he was hardly holding back his dinner from the night before. When he could finally speak, his sentence was short and to the point. "Yep...we're good." He reassured me. "Are you fine to keep going? Or do I need to look you two over?" "Nope! Let's finish this!" Hookfang spread his wings, ready to complete the race. Shrugging my shoulders and knowing it wouldn't do anyone any good to argue with the bull-headed males, I urged Nightwing onward.

We were side by side next to the dragon riding champions, rapidly approaching the sea stacks sticking out of the ocean. The towering stone was weather worn from years of erosion, crumbling at the edges every time the dragons rushed by them. Just like Astrid and I had done during my trials on my first visit to the Edge, Snotlout and I led our dragons around the rough shapes; each of us choosing the opposite path and then converging in the open space between them, before switching sides by flying over one another and heading around the next sea stack the other way.

The wind ripped through my ears, buffering against my body and cooling my sun-warmed skin. I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips as Hookfang and Nightwing exchanged a series of hisses, almost as if they were a human couple arguing for one reason or another. Snotlout was staring at me though, and when I caught him, he immediately turned his head, acting as if he was focusing on the remaining section of the path ahead. After this, we would only have to glide around another bend and dive back down in the direction of Fishlegs' rock garden. Still, it was rough terrain, and we needed to keep our eyes out to prevent another accident from happening like it had before. I would never admit my dragon had intentionally distracted my husband's, but at the same time, I didn't want him to get hurt.

So we followed our initial plan, successfully making it out of the way of the sea stacks and curving passed what little part of the mountain we had to avoid. The rock garden appeared just ahead, and I felt Nightwing kick her legs back, adding an extra "oomph" to her speed. Accelerating well passed the two males, my dragon and I plummeted through the air, intent on winning our race. Before I knew it, I was pulling back on Nightwing's horns, steering her away from the earth as she dived head first to the rock garden below, barely clearing the water by extending her wings outwards to prevent herself from crashing. My breath was stuck in my chest. "Think you could've cut it any closer, girl?" The sarcasm in my voice was harsher than I intended, so I patted her head apologetically. Nightwing grunted in acknowledgement, circling around the area to land gracefully beside the glimmering pond. Snotlout and Hookfang were hot on our tail, copying Nightwing's previous actions. "And the winner is...Brenna Jorgenson! The crowd goes wild!" My husband shouted as I dismounted. I shook my head at his theatrics, hearing him mimicking the sound of a roaring audience. Part of me wondered if he let me win the race, even after we each almost crashed. After all, he and Hookfang were nearly twice as fast as Nightwing and I on a bad day. I shook the thought off, not wanting to spoil anything by saying something.

As the day progressed, Snotlout and I and our dragons enjoyed a bit more alone time on the Edge. Our dragons took to the air to partake in their own adventures, while Snotlout and I decided to enjoy some hand to hand combat while we waited for them to return. My husband brandished the sword I had given him as a betrothal gift, while I drew my own from the holster on my hip. A sense of nostalgia filled my chest as we stood facing each other, legs bent and bodies poised to fight. Just like my first time visiting this wondrous place. I was the first to advance, leaping forward to deliver a hard blow to the gleaming metal in my husband's hand. Taken aback by my sudden boldness, I saw a glint of interest in his soft blue eyes before he sneered and blocked the offensive move. He returned my parry with his own, the weapons creating sparks as they collided repeatedly. Snotlout withdrew for the slightest moment, only to swing his arm at my lower leg. I pressed my sword into the earth, using a combination of my weight and timing to jump swing around it, narrowly missing the slice of the blade. Or what would have been an injury in any other circumstance at least. Snotlout would never actually hurt me, of that I was sure.

Snotlout gripped my arm the moment my feet touched the ground again, pulling me into him and holding his sword behind my back to keep me there. Smiling, I leaned in and kissed his lips, feeling him slowly let his guard down. Sensing his pause, I broke away, lifting my own weapon and holding it to his throat. We were stuck like that, neither one giving in. Snotlout shook his head, figuring out the trick I had tried to play on him. Since he hadn't rested his arms though, I surmised that he probably had seen something like that coming. Perhaps to get me back, I suddenly felt my legs knocked out from underneath me, causing me to lose my balance and collapse. The air left my lungs and I grunted in discomfort, opening my eyes to see my husband standing over me, the sharp, silver iron tip pressing lightly against my chest. "I win." Two words fell from his lips, a proud smirk on his face.

Nodding in defeat and out of breath, I reached up, wordlessly requesting for his help. Snotlout leaned down, moving the sword away from my body and taking my hand. He pulled me to my feet with what looked like little to no effort at all. Inhaling deeply, I lifted my sword and put it back in its holster, watching my lover do the same. "I believe it is a draw!" I declared. Snotlout chuckled, nodding in agreement to my statement. "I think you are right. You okay though?" There was a slight trace of worry in his voice, like he was scared he had hurt me when I fell. I brushed off my tunic, dust and grass flying this way and that while I shook my head in response. "I'm okay, no harm done." I gave him a grin, trying to reassure him that I was not injured. His expression was skeptical for a moment, and then he exhaled, looking up at the sky.

Dusk was soon approaching, the sun setting over the sea in the far distance. A romantic pink glow covered the skies, while lavender and pale orange hues dusted the clouds above, signifying the end to a beautiful day in my book. I walked over to my husband, wrapping one of my arms around his waist and placing my palm over his heart, all the while leaning my head on his shoulder. His larger arm pressed against my own body, holding me tightly at his side while his head rested against my own. Nightwing and Hookfang soared over us from behind, circling each other as they continued on their way. "You know what?" I whispered, catching Snotlout's attention. "Hmm?" "I know there's no such thing as perfect. But this...this is as close to perfect as life can get..." I remarked. Snotlout squeezed my waist lightly, something he did when he was showing that he was listening. It was a long moment before he replied. "Yeah...you're right..." He murmured. "But I can think of one thing even better." I lifted my head to look up at him curiously. "Being married to you." He stated, as though it was obvious. My smile brightened and I hugged him tightly. "Likewise..." I whispered, feeling a small kiss against my forehead. I closed my eyes, relishing in the feeling of the moment, and never wanting to let go ever again.

Snotlout POV

Hours had passed. Time ticking on slowly, just like when you watch a sundial for moments on end, and it appears as though it never moves. The soft rumble of dragons snoring in the far corner coupled with the occasional crackle of the smoldering flames in the fire pit were the only two sounds in the hut. The soft dark hair of an all too familiar woman spread over the pillow at his side, revealing a long pale neck and shoulders that almost glowed in the moonlight. The furs covered her body and contained the heat still lingering from the afternoon sun earlier that day. She looked so relaxed and at peace with the world, and what little Snotlout could see of her face revealed an inner tranquility he had experienced only a number of times. His wife was breathtaking. That's right. His wife. His wife. The concept that he was married to the exquisite creature before him still felt too surreal to believe. Maybe if he repeated the words they would get through his head.

Words couldn't even begin to express how amazed he was at where they were at that moment, and what all had occurred in the passed couple days. Especially Brenna's discovery of the page he had wrote what seemed like so long ago. Even then, she was the light of his life. She was so important to him. He couldn't live without her now. He wondered how he could express his emotions to her. He needed to do something special, something to make her feel just as wonderful as she deserved to feel. Wait...the page... An idea struck Snotlout like a Terrible Terror to the face.

Carefully, the dragon rider shifted away from Brenna, peeling away the furs from his own body and getting to his feet quietly. Trying not to disturb his sleeping wife, he strode through the cabin and over to his saddle bag, withdrawing a blank piece of parchment and some charcoal to write with. He moved over to his desk and sat on a stool, tapping the stick against his chin as he contemplated ideas back and forth in his brain. Snotlout glanced back to the bed, gazing at his wife's calm face, her long lashes resting on the peaks of her cheeks, lips in an adorable pout, one arm under her head while the other rested across her stomach. He had never seen her more sated, more at ease with the world. He hoped that he would get to see her like that every night for the rest of their lives. Turning back to his task, the viking man placed the tip of the charcoal to the parchment and got to work.

Brenna POV

The morning after, it was not the sun that made me rise from bed. In fact, it was still dark when I was awoken by my husband poking me repeatedly. In the stomach, arms, legs, you name it. Groaning in irritation for the rude awakening, I batted Snotlout's hands away, trying to sleep again. "Hey, princess! Come on, I've got something for you..." He prodded, returning to his previous actions despite my physical protest. I knew he wouldn't stop until he got what he wanted. Opening my eyes, I attempted not to glare at him, even though I had hardly slept the past two nights. "What?" I mumbled, rolling onto my back to be able to look at him clearly. "Yay! You're up!" He announced, looking all too pleased with himself. "Gee...I wonder why..." Sarcasm was prevalent in my statement. My husband ignored this though, instead shifting onto his other side to grab something on the nearby table, before facing me once more and holding it out. It was a fresh piece of parchment, charcoal runes scribbled across it in familiar script. "Read it." His eager expression made it impossible for me to be disgruntled any longer, my love for him overpowering my need for sleep. My fingers grasped the paper lightly as I accepted the offering, wondering whatever this could be that he would be so excitable. He was almost never this happy. But then again, we had both been pretty content over the past several months, so long as we were together. It took a moment to process the words, since I was still gaining my bearings and my eyes were adjusting to the dim light. "What's this?" I asked, accepting the note from the man before me. "Just read it." He encouraged, looking like he was about to hold his breath.

Shaking my head, I straightened the parchment out, reexamining the text carefully. "Brenna Jorgenson. My best friend. My wife. Never has a healer been so amazing at their job that they've fixed someone who didn't even know they were broken, until she came to be. The girl that I fell in love with that first day at Freya's Garden married me there this week...except...she wasn't that girl I met nearly four years ago. She's a woman. Berk's strongest, in fact. Brave, gentle, fierce, and compassionate. And for whatever reason, she loved this dragon rider, writing this forethought now. Yes, by the Gods, she is the most beautiful woman in the whole world. Her eyes are a paler blue than the skies above, seeing straight into my soul. Her skin is so soft to touch, despite years of delicate work with her aunt. Her hair is long and thick, like a pool of chocolate. Her voice is like that of a song bird fluttering from treetop to treetop. She isn't hot. She is gorgeous. But I don't just love her for her looks. (Shocker, I know). Brenna's beauty comes from her heart. From her willingness to help her friends, family, and animals. From her dedication to every one of her crafts and endeavors. And most importantly, it comes from her soul and every little thing about her that makes Brenna, Brenna. And I, Snotlout Jorgenson, can proudly say that my greatest asset is not my dashing good looks, or the medals I have won through the years, but is in fact, the woman by my side. Brenna, I know I may not say it enough, and I know that I am not perfect. But I love you more than I believed I could ever love anyone, and I am the luckiest man on Berk to be married to you. I only hope that you continue to feel as loved and appreciated as you have made me feel in all our time together. To my wife, my princess, and the love of my life. Snotlout." The note ended.

It was difficult for me to process what the parchment had said at first. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't have been holding onto it right then. Finally meeting my husband's eyes, I shook my head, astounded by what I had seen. "Snotlout...you wrote this?" I whispered. He nodded adamantly. "When?" I asked, unable to remember him leaving me at any point the passed couple days to do this. "Early this morning, while you slept. I couldn't sleep so I figured I'd get started on that book you mentioned." He answered, leaning back on his arms while he spoke.

For a moment, I was frozen, still in a state of bewilderment. Unable to help myself, I shot upright, instantly wrapping my arms around Snotlout's broad frame and causing him to lose his balance. He chuckled, wrapping his own about my waist even as he fell back, burying his nose in my hair. I turned my face, peppering kisses all over his cheeks and nose and lips. The words on the parchment were so heartfelt, so genuine, I had never felt so loved in my entire life through such a sweet gesture.

Snotlout didn't complain about my enthusiasm, instead basking in the affects of my mood change. "I'll take that...as a thank you...I guess." He managed between kisses. I nodded, pressing my forehead against his while I took a break. "Yes, my love. I can't tell you how much those words mean to me. I will cherish them always." I murmured. Snotlout brushed my hair away from my face, smiling in satisfaction. "Good. I'm glad." He replied, pulling me in and holding me close.

Both of us were silent for a few moments, until I had a thought of my own. "What do you say we head to the hot springs today?" I prodded, tilting my head upward to see his expression. He smirked. "Sure." His response was simple. "Alright then. We can leave in a few. I want to stay with you for just a while longer though." I admitted, resting my head against his chest again and listening to the sound of his strong heartbeat. "I suppose that can be arranged..." His reply was soft as he relaxed against the bed again, our legs intertwining as we laid together, wrapped in each other's arms.

It was already past sun high when we arrived at the hot springs, but we took our time swimming with each other and our dragons, the serenity of the place a nice change from the excited hum of Berk on a day to day basis.

Nightwing and Hookfang had an apparent liking to splash Snotlout and I, and when I say splash, I mean hit the water so hard it creates mini tsunamis just like the evening Snotlout and I had almost kissed for the first time. We simply laughed it off though, since it only gave us an excuse to cling to each other even more in the small lake. There would be moments when we would leave the water, only for a short time when our bodies were overheated, and lay upon the moist sand at the pond's edge. Snotlout would be on his back, while I curled into his body, my head resting on his shoulder and our legs intertwined. We laid like that until night fell, and silver specks began to dot the sky above us. The familiar tiny creatures fluttered down through the steam, small squeaks of interest erupting from their throats, reminding me of crickets. Starwings. The very same ones Snotlout had shown me on our first date, their shiny bodies similar to a combination of a miniature of Razorwhip and Fireworm. Part of me wondered if Snotlout had ever told Hiccup about the dragons, but the thought disappeared as one of them landed on my chest, before a baby one dropped onto my damp thigh. A mother and her hatchling.

Reaching up, I used the tip of my finger to stroke the tough silver scales on each of their heads, their skulls no larger than the end of my thumb. They let out miniscule sparks of flame, singeing barely there holes into the tops of my tunic and skirt. I giggled, watching them yawn and curl up on their respective spots. Turning my head, I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing so loud that I would scare the Starwings away, having noticed that my husband was covered in the creatures, since apparently the whole horde had decided to stop. Only his eyes peeked out from the shuffling wings, talons, and tails. "Well, sweetie, I've always known you were attractive." I managed to say while maintaining a straight face. I saw his pale blue irises swivel as if being rolled in response to my comment. Feeling a slight twinge of sympathy, I sat up, gently displacing the two Starwings that had been resting on me and then clapping my hands, startling the rest away.

Hookfang and Nightwing noticed the commotion, striding over to follow the other dragons as they took to the air, playing chase with them. Snotlout was breathing heavily, clutching his chest. "You good?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow. Shrugging once, Snotlout nodded. "Never better." He replied, before falling back onto his spine. Chuckling, I returned to my previous position as well, feeling the ground vibrate as the dragons returned and laid over our heads, wrapping their bodies around us as though we were their babies.

A little over a week later, Snotlout and I returned home from our honeymoon, having had enough excitement reliving our past and making new adventures for ourselves. It wasn't long until Snotlout and I found ourselves moving into our new home on Berk, ready for whatever life threw at us next.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.8K 2.6K 61
The vikings of Torvald have always been friendly with dragons, and when they learn Berk has also accepted dragons, they send Princess Eira and her Wi...
71.4K 1.8K 41
Everyone in berk is ashamed of hiccup , including his father. But not his mother. Just because he couldnt kill a dragon. One day hiccup desides to go...
7K 162 14
"Who do you think you are?!" "I am surprised you don't remember me, Athena." Athena Stockwell has finally settled into Berk, she has her best friend...
108K 2.5K 18
After defeating the Red Death, Hiccup and (Y/n) became Berk's best dragon rider and trainer couple. Now, as Hiccup faces a new challenge and (Y/n) is...