On Love's Wings ~ A Snotlout...

By SapphireEyes2000

"Snotlout Jorgenson...Dragon rider, cousin of Hiccup Haddock III, Hero of Berk...he could never want anyone l... More

A/N
Chapter 1 ~ Chance Encounters
Chapter 2 ~ Impressive
Chapter 3 ~ New Surroundings
Chapter 4 ~ The New Recruit
Chapter 5 ~ A Merry Snoggletog Indeed
Chapter 6 ~ The Name Game
Chapter 8 ~ Jealousy
Chapter 9 ~ The Scourge of Odin
Chapter 10 ~ Dragon's Song
Chapter 11 ~ Rekindling The Fire
Chapter 12 ~ Wings of Change
Chapter 13 ~ Night Flight
Chapter 14 ~ Captured Hearts
Chapter 15 ~ Flames & Steel
Chapter 16 ~ Maybe...Mine?
Chapter 17 ~ An Elder's Pride
Chapter 18 ~ New Beginnings
Chapter 19 ~ The Heart Is Mightier
Chapter 20 ~ A Jorgenson Wedding
Chapter 21 ~ Glimpsing the Past
Chapter 22 ~ Dragon Scales & Drool

Chapter 7 ~ Music of the Night

1.8K 56 8
By SapphireEyes2000

A/N:   Song 1 starts at 3:45, Song 2 starts at 2:23, Song 3 at 0:00

  The end of the following week came far sooner than expected. Stoick had chosen Helle, daughter of Floki Halldor, and Eris, the daughter of Reyna Ragnhild to sing with me at the dance. Both were strong, beautiful girls, the same age as me. Helle had dark auburn curls that fell halfway down her back, and striking emerald eyes that seemed as if they could see into your soul. She had a lithe figure, perfect for her occupation, as she was one of the women responsible for teaching the younger village girls how to fight. Eris, on the other hand, had long, straight hair the color of a Night Fury's scales, a deep black as dark as a moonless night. Her eyes were a warm copper, and her smile was absolutely stunning. Eris was taller than Helle and I, and there was a ferocity in her eyes that reminded me of Astrid. She was a skilled warrior as well as a fisherman's daughter. It was truly an honor to be selected by Stoick to perform with such talented women.

Both of their voices were those of songbirds, melodic and elegant as we practiced the songs Gothi had recommended for the celebration. The band would play all night, but the two songs we would sing as a group were a combination of gaelic and english lyrics. One was called "Níl Sé'n Lá," and the other was "Téir Abhaile Riú," they were songs that had been passed down from generation to generation, but I hadn't heard them since I was little. Helle, Eris, and I had practiced the performance day after day, until it was nearly perfect.

Finally, all of the hard work was about to pay off. The evening of the coming of age celebration had arrived. My mother and Gothi both helped me to get ready for my big night, styling my hair in an elaborate braid and placing a silver moon headband directly above it. The gown I picked for the event was one that my mother had crafted for me to wear for this specific occasion. It was made of dark blue velvet with long sleeves that trailed the ground. Intricate silver designs created a band around my upper arms and along my collar. To set it off, a sash made of delicate silver chains and round disks wrapped around my waist and dangled over my navel and down the front of my gown. On each disk was a different type of dragon, symbolizing the various creatures that lived in our world. I absolutely fell in love with the outfit, and I couldn't help but feel a bit proud of my appearance.

No sooner had I finished donning my slippers, there was a soft knock on the door to my hut. I felt my heart stop in my chest as I met my mother's eyes. "He's here. You look stunning, my daughter." I grinned back, unable to hide my blush. Snotlout was standing just outside. I hadn't seen him since the day we sat by the waterfall. "Thanks, mom. I love you." I whispered. "I love you too." She said. Her arms wrapped around my shoulders as she gave me a hug. I hugged her back, then pulled away to hug my aunt. Only...Gothi wasn't standing behind me anymore. "Mom, where did Aunt Gothi go?" I asked, feeling a sense of faint fear enter my heart. She shrugged her shoulders in response. Oh no... I dashed to the front door, swinging it open to find that Gothi was standing next to Snotlout, holding his ear down to her level and shoving his face toward the runes she had drawn on the ground. "I got it! I got it! Hurt Brenna and I'll wish I was dead!" Snotlout shouted. Gothi looked up, seeing me standing in the doorway, and let go of the boy's ear. She gave me a mischievous smile and stepped away from my friend, placing her small hands on my arms. She nodded at me, gray blue eyes boring into mine with a glint of happiness and pride, and I understood what she was saying. "Thank you Gothi. I love you too." I told her.

Looking back up at my friend, I found that Snotlout was already staring at me. He was wearing the new fur cloak I gave him, as well as a shiny black tunic and pants. "You look...amazing." He muttered, taking in my appearance. I blushed darkly, "Thank you. You look pretty handsome yourself..." I returned the compliment. He smiled, placing his helmet back on his head. "Are you ready to go?" He asked, gesturing toward the dinner hall. "Sure." I answered. I briefly glanced back at my mother and aunt. "See you guys there, I guess." I bid them farewell. They both waved me off, and I returned my attention to Snotlout. He held out his arm for me, and I gladly accepted it. I wrapped my fingers around his bicep and started walking with him toward the dirt path.

The walk was relatively long, but our pace was relaxed as we made our way toward the Great Hall. I took a deep breath, enjoying the sound of the music coming from the celebration. The sky and stars above looked like a blanket of diamonds spread high above. "So...I have to ask...why did you want to go with me to the celebration?" I hesitantly inquired. Snotlout tensed beside me, but he simply shrugged. "Well...you are one of my best friends...I just figured, it would be worth a try." He answered, refusing to look at me. I flushed again. "Well, I'm glad you did. Thank you...you're one of my best friends too." I admitted. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, the ghost of a smile playing at his lips. "So...Stoick asked you to sing tonight...you must be pretty excited." He continued on. I sighed, stepping over a rock carefully so I didn't snag my gown on it. "Can I be honest?" I asked, biting my lip. "Sure. You know you can tell me anything." Snotlout replied immediately. If only that were completely true. But I can't tell you everything...not yet at least. You would laugh, or freak out...I'm not what you want. My brain countered his statement, causing a stabbing sensation of sadness in my chest. But I didn't let it show. "I'm actually really nervous. I'm not used to everyone hearing me sing." I confessed.

Snotlout paused. "Wait...then how did Stoick choose you?" He asked, confused. I chuckled then. "Gothi recommended that I do it. I guess Stoick took her at her word that I'm talented. I'm not so sure about that, but if he wants me to do it, then who am I to refuse?" I explained. "Well...I get why you're nervous. But I'm sure you'll be fantastic Brenna." My friend placed his other hand over the one I held on his arm. I finally looked up once again, and our eyes met. "Thanks Snotlout. That means a lot." I told him. He nodded, then released my hand and turned his attention back to the road.

However, we were already standing at the doors to the enormous building where we dined and held our meetings and festivities. I had been so caught up in our conversation that I hadn't even noticed we had climbed the stone steps up to it. The doors were wide open, and inside the fire pit was piled high with lumber, flames erupting from the center and casting shadows on the walls around. The tables had all been moved to the side of the building, leaving plenty of space for the party goers to dance. The whole village would be in attendance tonight, so we would need room to move. Eris and Helle were both standing on the stone steps in the front of the fire pit, speaking with Stoick. Seeing the exchange, I gently let go of Snotlout. He looked down at me curiously. "I'm sorry, I must go see Stoick. We perform as soon as he makes his speech. I will be back after I'm done though, I promise." I apologized. "Sure. Good luck!" Snotlout smiled in understanding, before moving away to go speak with Ruff and Tuff.

Picking up my pace, I strode over to the trio standing in front of the fire. Stoick saw me before the girls did. "Brenna! You look as beautiful as your mother! Are ya ready to entertain this fine crowd?" He asked, patting my shoulders. "Thank you, sir! And I'm ready as I'll ever be." I answered excitedly. Stoick beamed proudly. "Well then, I suppose we best get the celebration started!" He winked at us. We laughed along with him, before taking our places behind the chief. Helle stood on the far left of the stone steps smoothing down her skirt anxiously, while I walked over to the right and planted my feet. Eris placed herself in the center, flipping her hair over her shoulder, and we awaited our cue to begin. Stoick and Gothi had gone over everything with us on the days we rehearsed. Stoick would give his annual speech calling everyone together and honoring those who were becoming adults, then walk back to the crowd and give us a thumbs up to start the performance. The band would continue playing music the rest of the night, but our purpose was to create even more excitement to get people to start dancing.

Stoick's massive chest rose and fell slowly as he took a deep breath inward. "People of Berk! Men, women, children...welcome to this evening's coming of age celebration!" His voice boomed through the building, causing the chattering voices around us to fall silent. Interested eyes and proud faces looked on in our direction, awaiting the words of our beloved chief. Parents and families gathered near the center of the room, their anticipation lacing the air. "Tonight, we stand here, to honor some very special people. In recent years, our village has been blessed by the gods, and we have a healthy lot of brave, intelligent children...." Stoick trailed off, seeing Tuffnut playing with Chicken in the back of the crowd. "Well, at least...mostly intelligent children..." He chuckled, causing everyone else to laugh as well. "But seriously, these children have become very fine young men and women, proving time and time again that they have earned the respect that comes with their age. They are adults in their own right, and tonight we acknowledge the fact that our children have grown, and are perfectly capable of the responsibilities that rest on each of their shoulders. Tonight, we celebrate their ascent into adulthood!" He cheered, holding a fist up. I was just close enough to see the tears welling up in the older man's eyes.

I knew he was thinking of his son, Hiccup, and of all the wondrous changes that he had made to Berk in the past three years. Stoick cleared his throat and looked around at his people, hardly managing to hide the water lining his bottom lid. "With that said, I believe it is time to call them forward." He continued. "Ulrich Utgard," Stoick began. A young blonde boy with long hair pulled back in a ponytail stepped forward and bowed. Ulrich was related to Silent Sven, but he was far more egotistical than even Snotlout. "Oskar Ohlson," The next name was called out. Another boy, this one with jet black hair cropped short, stepped toward Stoick. Oskar was always kind, but he was also a bit strange. Then again, with Bucket as your uncle (twice removed), I suppose it was to be expected. "Helle Halldor, Eris Ragnhilde..." Helle stepped forward and curtsied prettily. Eris quickly followed suit, smiling at the onlookers.

The audience cheered as each one of us was introduced. "Brenna Derganson," Stoick spoke my name. I repeated the actions of the other two girls beside me, catching my family's eyes at the back of the crowd as my head tilted forward. "Go Brenna!" I paused, blushing as I recognized an exceptionally loud voice standing out from the chorus of cheers. As I raised my eyes from the floor, I saw that Snotlout was almost directly in front of me, in the row right behind the two boys that had already stepped forward. Stoick continued, "Fishlegs Ingerman...Tuffnut Thorston...Ruffnut Thorston..." He went on. Fishlegs looked like a sheep in a dragon's lair, eyes blown wide as he was acknowledged by his peers. Tuff and Ruff were smiling deviously, but stood tall and gratified as more hoots and hollers arose around them. "Snotlout Jorgenson," Stoick announced. The shorter brunet stepped forward, straightening his spine and grinning from ear to ear. I let out a high pitched cheer, clapping just as enthusiastically for him as I had for the others, if not a bit moreso. I heard his father boasting in the back of the room, "That's my son! That's my son!" Snotlout bowed, and when he came back to his full height again, he met my gaze. I smiled at him, and he rose an eyebrow, staring back.

Stoick's voice broke through my thoughts once more, startling me momentarily. "Astrid Hofferson." There was a slight change of tone in the chief's voice, as if he knew that the girl stepping forward would soon be his future daughter-in-law. My best friend smiled at him gratefully, then curtsied and bowed her head to the chief. She looked beautiful as well, but I was surprised to see that somehow someone had been able to get her in a dress. Come to think of it, it was a miracle from the gods that someone forced Ruff into one. "And finally, my own son, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third." Stoick's voice cracked toward the end, and Hiccup stepped into view, his prosthetic leg squeaking. Hiccup even looked exceptionally well dressed. He looked around, appearing slightly uncomfortable with the attention, yet he still had an air of confidence about him. Something that wouldn't have existed three years ago. Stoick stepped forward, clasping his son's shoulders and staring at him silently.

After a moment between father and son, the chief stepped back and motioned to us all. "Congratulations, to all of you. May the gods bless you, as you have blessed us, and may you be as proud of your children one day, as we are of you today." Stoick ended his speech, and we all had tears in our eyes. But then he straightened up and clasped his hands. "Now, on with the festivities!" He bellowed joyfully, gesturing to the band. The music began to play, signalling Eris, Helle, and I to get ready as well. The violinist started to play an upbeat rhythm, dancing around the stone steps fluidly while she played. Stoick stepped out of the way, as did the rest of the onlookers.

A few moments passed of simple instrumental music filling the air. Then, the sound decrescendoed, dying off and leaving the room completely silent. Helle took her cue, breaking the quiet anticipation.

"Chuaigh mé isteach i dteach aréir," I stepped forward as well. "Is d'iarr mé cairde ar mhnaoi an leanna," I sang. Everyone's eyes widened, and for a moment I thought I sounded terrible. But then I saw the smiles on their faces and relaxed. Maybe I was better at this than I thought. Eris smiled at the crowd. "Is é dúirt sí liom. Ní bhfaighidh tú deor," We paused. "Buail an bóthar is gabh abhaile," We sang together. The crowd erupted into cheers and applause, and the three of us grinned at our success so far. Helle nodded at Eris and I before continuing at a faster rhythm, this time with the violinist and the rest of the band joining in as well. "Chuaigh mé isteach i dteach aréir," Helle smiled. I repeated my line next. "Is d'iarr mé cairde ar mhnaoi an leanna," Eris did the same. "Is é dúirt sí liom. Ní bhfaighidh tú deor." Again, we combined our voices for the fourth line of lyrics. "Buail an bóthar is gabh abhaile."

By now the crowd was clapping along to the beat, and the girls and I danced around one another across the stone steps. "I came by a house last night and told the woman I am staying." We continued. I stepped down the steps a little bit, coming close to a little girl at the edge of the audience closest to me. "I said to her: 'The moon is bright.'" I sang, twirling the girl. She giggled and let go as I moved away again. The other girls joined me for the rest of the sentence. "'And my fiddle's tuned for playing!" They sang. Eris took her opportunity next. "Tell me that the night is long, tell me that the moon is glowing," She motioned to the ceiling gracefully. Helle and I sang the chorus with her. "Fill my glass, I'll sing a song, and we'll start the music flowing. Never mind the rising light. There's no sign of day or dawning. In my heart it's still the night. And we'll stay here till the morning!" The three of us smiled at one another, watching people starting to pair up and dance in front of us. "Níl sé ina lá, níl a ghrá, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go maidin. Níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh..." Helle walked forward to sing her verse. "It's not day nor yet awhile. I can see the starlight shining." This time Eris and I fell in with her. "Níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh. Fill the glasses one more time, and never heed the empty bottle. Turn the water into wine, and turn the party up full throttle!" I laughed, seeing that some of the adults were taking the lyrics perhaps too literally, steadily pouring Mead into their goblets. It was all in good fun though, and we continued our song. "Don't go out into the cold, where the wind and rain are blowing. For the fire is flaming gold, and in here the music's flowing! Níl sé ina lá, níl a ghrá, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go maidin. Níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh..." I broke through once more, making eye contact with Snotlout again as I went on, "Tell me that the night is long.

Tell me that the moon is gleaming." He smirked back, tapping his foot to the music. "Fill my glass, I'll sing a song, and we'll keep the music streaming, until all the songs are sung!" The volume of the music crescendoed, as did our voices. "Níl sé ina lá, níl a ghrá, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go maidin. Níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh." Together, we repeated this chorus three more times.

When we ended it, everyone was cheering loudly and clapping for us. Breathlessly, we each nodded our heads in thanks and clapped for the people dancing with each other. We were given another moment to take a break, then the band began to play the melody for Téir Abhaile Riú. Slowly, Helle made her way to the center of the stone steps, while I moved to her left and Eris to her right. The red headed girl smiled impishly, holding her arms out as she began the second song of our performance. "Look how the lights of the town, the lights of the town are shining now. Tonight I'll be dancing around, I'm off on the road to Galway now..." She skipped across the steps, and Eris gestured to the spunky figure who pulled Oskar out of the crowd and began to twirl with him on the floor in front of everyone. "Look how she's off on the town, she's off on a search for sailors though. There's fine fellas here to be found. She's never been one to stay at home." She concluded. I strode forward, grasping Helle's arm and pulling her back up the steps. "Home you'll go and it's there you'll stay. And you've work to do in the morning. Give up your dream of going away. Forget your sailors in Galway!" I pretended to chastise her, while she pouted dramatically. "Téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú. Téir abhaile riú Mhearai. Téir abhail gus fan sa bhaile. Mar tá do mhargadh déanta!" The three of us sang the chorus together, doing a little two-step line dance.

The violin cut through the air, then faded once more. Eris took her place in the middle, for the attention to be focused on her. "Come now and follow me down, down to the lights of Galway where, there's fine sailors walking the town and waiting to meet the ladies there." She made a come hither motion with her forefinger. I strode toward her, pointing out toward the people in front of us. "Watch now he'll soon be along. He's finer than any sailor so come on now and pick up your spoons. He's waiting to hear you play them!" She withdrew two spoons from her bust and began to clink them together in a rhythmic way against her hand and thigh. Helle rolled her eyes playfully. "Here today and she's gone tomorrow, and next she's going to Galway! Jiggin' around and off to town, and won't be back until morning!" Eris and I joined her again. "Téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú. Téir abhaile riú Mhearai. Téir abhail gus fan sa bhaile. Mar tá do mhargadh déanta!" My part was next, so I took a deep breath to prepare myself.

Growing more confident with myself, I took the center position and spun in a circle, my skirt flowing around my body as I did so. "Off with a spring in my step. The sailors are searching Galway for a young lady such as myself. For reels and jigs and maybe more!" I winked at the crowd. More shouts of excitement arose at that. Eris approached me on my left, shaking her head. "Stay here and never you mind. The lights of the town are blinding you!" "The sailors they come and they go. But listen to what's reminding you!" Helle interrupted from my right. Our voices harmonized for the next line. "Handsome men surrounding you! Dancing a reel around you!" We all moved to the bottom of the steps and grasped each other's hands, spinning in a circle. We went around three times, then pulled apart, looking at the rest of the village doing the same. "Home you'll go and it's there you'll stay! And you've work to do in the morning! Give up your dream of going away! Forget your sailors in Galway!" We started the two step dance again. "Téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú. Téir abhaile riú Mhearai. Téir abhail gus fan sa bhaile.

Mar tá do mhargadh déanta." Helle's voice broke through for the final time. "Listen to the music flow..." "I'm falling for the flow of home..." Eris added, slowing down slightly. "I'm home to dance till dawning!" I finished. The violin picked up its pace, preparing for the final verses. "Téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú. Téir abhaile riú Mhearai. Téir abhail gus fan sa bhaile. Mar tá do mhargadh déanta. Stay a while, we'll dance together now, as the light is falling. We'll reel away till the break of day, and dance together till morning. Téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú. Téir abhaile riú Mhearai. Téir abhail gus fan sa bhaile. Mar tá do mhargadh déanta. Téir abhaile riú, téir abhaile riú. Téir abhaile riú Mhearai. Téir abhail gus fan sa bhaile. Mar tá do mhargadh déanta, do Mhargadh de - do mhargadh déanta!" We finished, earning whistles from our friends, family, and peers.

The band began to play again, but the girls and I were dismissed from our duty as entertainers, at least for the moment. My mother and Gothi walked forward and gave me a hug, each offering their congratulations. I thanked them for their praise, however, my eyes were still glued to the viking who had accompanied me this evening. He was standing on the other side of the room, staring up at his father in frustration. Worried, I excused myself from my family and made my way over to Snotlout. "I just can't believe it, a Jorgenson going to his coming of age celebration without a woman on his arm? I've failed as a father? The Jorgenson family name will die out..." Spitelout was rambling dramatically. I now understood where Snotlout got his theatrics. "But Dad! I did accompany someone!" Snotlout retorted, exasperation lacing his voice. "Then where is she? I don't see the lass beside you!" Taking my cue, I stepped over to the two men and tapped Snotlout's shoulder. He jumped back in surprise, before relaxing as his eyes fell on me.

Snotlout regained his confidence. "Dad, I am escorting Brenna tonight." He announced smugly. Spitelout's eyes widened in surprise. I knew him just like I knew everyone in the village, and likewise. "Brenna?" He repeated. I nodded in agreement with Snotlout's statement. "Yes, sir." The larger viking still looked like he had been hit head on with a Gronckle. An awkward silence formed between us all. The steely eyes of Snotlout's father looked me up and down in appraisal. "Well, Brenna, at least I can say this for my son..." Snotlout and I exchanged a nervous glance. "He has good taste in women..." His father finished with a smile. Both Snotlout and I blushed at that, but gave him a shy grin in return. "Thank you Dad, now if you'll excuse us..." The boy beside me trailed off. Confused, I turned my gaze on him, only to find that he was extending his palm out to me. Outstanded, I placed my hand in his and allowed my friend to lead us into the crowd of people dancing.

Inside the throng of villagers, some of the other honorees were holding each other close. Hiccup and Astrid had come together, though, like Snotlout and I, they were simply going as "friends." Helle was with Oskar, twirling excitedly in his arms. Suddenly, the upbeat music calmed down, leaving the room silent for a brief moment. The instrumentalists glanced at one another before nodding to the lead violinist. They began to play a quiet ballad for the party goers. The first violinist lifted the string instrument to her chin and slowly strummed a soft soprano melody. The other two musicians followed her lead, the lower tone harmonizing with the first.

Hearing the romantic tune, many of the villagers broke apart, leaving the center of the room free. Quickly, I came to the realization that this was the time of the evening when we (those honored for the coming of age ceremony) were expected to lead the dance. Though vikings were generally not a very affectionate group of people, a slow dance was customary during these events to show that we were open to the concept of marriage and romance, especially since we would be the next generation to produce strong Berkian bloodlines. In saying that, it was not expected that we had to marry whomever we were dancing with at the celebration. It simply meant that we were comfortable with interacting with the other sex, particularly on a more intimate level than we have before.

Snotlout and I turned to one another, our hands still joined. We let go, Snotlout moving to bow toward me, while I curtsied in return like the other girls. Once the customary introduction was completed, both of us returned to our upright positions and held our forearms up. My right arm pressed against his, the soft skin touching gently, our palms just barely making contact. It was then that I realized how much larger my friend's hand was in comparison to mine. As the music flooded the Great Hall, we circled one another with four slow steps. He withdrew his right arm and returned with the left, while I copied his actions with my own body. Once more, we revolved around one another, only this time going in the opposite direction. The music faded for only a second, in which Snotlout and I moved to take each other's hands. He stepped toward my left, indicating to me that I should go to his right.

Again, I allowed him to lead my movements as we both stepped back from each other and then shifted our movements the other way. My feet instinctively followed his motions. "Thanks for coming over when you did." Snotlout whispered as he got close. "What can I say, I just have good timing," I teased him. He rolled his eyes, trying to hide a smirk. "But, you are very welcome..." I had no choice but to trail off as he let go of my left hand and got down on one knee, leading me around his body to step over his leg. Once I had cleared the obstacle, he stood once more and met my eyes. He spun me around in front of him twice, causing me to see a whirl of dark colors from the dim room and bright flames. "You have a-a really good voice, Brenna. I told you you'd do amazing." A smile split his face when he spoke. I couldn't help my own shy grin in response to his comment. "Thanks Snotlout...that means a lot to me..." I replied. I moved away for a second, each of us extending our arms, before the viking boy drew me back into his chest.

My breath hitched slightly, my heartbeat hammering harder than Mjölnir striking the earth. My arms were crossed just under my chest, Snotlout taking my other hand and holding me close for a moment. Our bodies swayed together for a few beats, his face so close to mine as I gathered the courage to meet his gaze. "And you are a very talented dancer, Snotlout. Who taught you?" I managed to maintain a confident voice despite my inner emotional struggle. This time it was his turn to be taken aback. "Thanks...You know how I am, always full of surprises," He retorted, releasing his strong hold on my body and twirling me a third time. "It was Ruff actually. Dad wouldn't get off my back about it, and she was the first person around that I could ask." He answered. My eyebrow rose in amazement. "Ruff taught you to dance? And she didn't kill you?" I laughed, knowing she hated almost anything relatively girly, like dancing. "Trust me, it wasn't much help. And I'm still doing her work on the Edge to pay for it!" He commented. I giggled, shaking my head as I found humor in the explanation.

We moved back into our original stance, repeating the beginning part of the dance where we crossed our arms and orbited around each other. "It seems like you were under a lot of pressure about tonight..." I commented, thinking about how his dad had been acting when I walked over to them. He sighed, nodding to answer me. "Yeah, this celebration means a lot to him. Every man in my family has accompanied someone to their coming of age ceremony. He was worried that I wasn't man enough yet to impress someone." He explained. A somber feeling swept through me even as I was twirled. "Is that why you chose me? So that you weren't coming to this alone?" I asked, keeping my voice low and soft. I tried to hide the bitterness in my tone at the thought that perhaps I had been a last resort. Not the option he wanted, but the one he was forced to take.

But I suppose Snotlout knew me better than that. His expression turned to one of confusion, before morphing into realization. "Brenna, no, that's not what I meant." I stared back at him skeptically, before my eyes widened as he placed both hands on my waist and lifted me in the air. My hands went to his shoulders to brace myself as I was swung around. Snotlout carefully placed me back on my feet, still frowning. "I just...I meant to say that I wasn't concerned with impressing any girl...I didn't ask you just so I wasn't here alone...I-I was hoping to bring you. You're my closest friend..." Something about the way he spoke was so completely genuine, the negative emotions in my body faded away, leaving behind a hint of regret for how I had reacted. He was so sweet to me, and he very easily could've played the whole situation off in another direction, but he chose to be honest with me. Gently, I reached forward as we began to circle each other again, placing my hand on his cheek. He leaned into my touch for a moment, before lifting his hand as well. This time, he was the one who copied my motions and did the same to me. "I'm sorry, Snotlout. I overreacted, and it was not my place to do so...forgive me?" I asked quietly, feeling his large palm completely encompass my cheek and chin. His eyes softened, "Of course. But it was my fault...I should choose my words more carefully than I do." He replied.

About that time, the music began to slow down, and Snotlout spun me one more time until I was in his embrace. Then, ever so slowly, he leaned me back, supporting my weight while we gazed into each other's eyes. I swallowed, going silent as I brushed his hair away from his face. He slowly pulled me to my feet as the sound of the violins died and people started to clap for all of us. We bowed to one another to conclude the customary dance, and more cheers arose in the Hall. Smiling, I stepped forward and hugged Snotlout softly, my arms draping over his broad shoulders while his wound tightly around my waist. "You're my closest friend too..." I whispered against his shoulder, then released my hold on him. We each laughed lightly, looking around at our friends and family, some speaking enthusiastically with one another, while others started to dance again as the music began to pick up tempo.

Astrid and Hiccup approached us then, no longer arm in arm, yet still standing close enough to brush shoulders. Astrid gave me a hug, and the boys shook hands. "Congratulations, Jorgenson, I never thought I'd say this, but you actually got a girl to go with you to this thing." Astrid teased Snotlout with a smirk. Hiccup laughed too, patting the shorter boy's arm. "Oh haha, you're hilarious." Snotlout rolled his eyes. Astrid turned to me, a wide grin still stuck on her face. "You look beautiful Brenna." She complimented me. "Thank you. You do too, Astrid. I think the goddesses might be jealous." I smirked. She scoffed, "Yeah right, but thanks anyway." She responded. My gaze flicked over to Hiccup. "You look handsome too, Hiccup, very chief-like." I remarked. He chuckled again, but I saw a faint blush rise on his face. "Thanks Brenna." He gave me a embarrassed look before returning his gaze to Snotlout. "And you, Snotlout, you looked pretty impressive dancing out there. You two stole the floor." He rose an eyebrow. Snotlout crossed his arms smugly. "We were pretty good, weren't we?" I rolled my eyes along with Astrid this time. "Very. Almost like you two were meant to dance together..." Hiccup continued.

I felt the heat rise to my neck and face, and for a moment I was sure my skin was lit by dragon flame. Snotlout even went silent, scratching the back of his neck. Astrid and Hiccup were still staring at us with amusement, probably knowing they had hit a nerve. Truth was, I didn't even know what Snotlout and I were anymore. Whether we were just friends, or perhaps becoming something more... But I had felt something when we had been dancing. Some sort of warmth as we stared into each other's eyes. I just wasn't sure if my friend had felt it too. Astrid and Hiccup appeared to be waiting for us to say something though. Taking the initiative, I gave a small smile. "Oh, well that's really sweet of you Hiccup, but Snotlout and I are just friends." I went with the safer option. Snotlout piped up as well, sounding slightly less sure than I was, however. "Yeah...just friends..." Astrid smirked, taking Hiccup's arm again. "Well then, I suppose we will leave you two friends alone then. Have fun." She said, and the pair strode away.

Snotlout and I glanced at each other again, neither of us entirely sure of what was going to happen between us from now on. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 215 21
Y/N haddock is a misunderstood kid on berk alongside their brother Hiccup haddock, one night they were being attacked by dragons and the two fifteen...
18.1K 360 16
Y/n is a young girl in Berk who never wanted to hurt a dragon and doesn't believe dragons are as bad as everyone thinks they are. She believes that t...
11.6K 290 8
"This is Berk. We have fishing, hunting, and charming views of sunsets. The only real problems we have are our enemies; Dragons. They plague the Arch...
674K 13.7K 25
Y/n is a night fury. Thought to be the last one of her kind. And then things changed. Y/n met Toothless. And hiccup. And the twins. Life changed into...