On Love's Wings ~ A Snotlout...

By SapphireEyes2000

"Snotlout Jorgenson...Dragon rider, cousin of Hiccup Haddock III, Hero of Berk...he could never want anyone l... More

A/N
Chapter 1 ~ Chance Encounters
Chapter 2 ~ Impressive
Chapter 3 ~ New Surroundings
Chapter 4 ~ The New Recruit
Chapter 5 ~ A Merry Snoggletog Indeed
Chapter 7 ~ Music of the Night
Chapter 8 ~ Jealousy
Chapter 9 ~ The Scourge of Odin
Chapter 10 ~ Dragon's Song
Chapter 11 ~ Rekindling The Fire
Chapter 12 ~ Wings of Change
Chapter 13 ~ Night Flight
Chapter 14 ~ Captured Hearts
Chapter 15 ~ Flames & Steel
Chapter 16 ~ Maybe...Mine?
Chapter 17 ~ An Elder's Pride
Chapter 18 ~ New Beginnings
Chapter 19 ~ The Heart Is Mightier
Chapter 20 ~ A Jorgenson Wedding
Chapter 21 ~ Glimpsing the Past
Chapter 22 ~ Dragon Scales & Drool

Chapter 6 ~ The Name Game

1.6K 54 7
By SapphireEyes2000

                                                                                Brenna POV

Two weeks after our Snoggletog celebration was Berk's coming of age dance. This party was one of the rare occasions where our natural warrior nature was forgone in favor of a kinder, more elegant evening. The men of the village wear their best furs and the women change out of our typical fighting gear in exchange for long, beautiful dresses. The purpose of the dance was held to celebrate the youngest vikings in the village officially becoming adults. Within the coming year, Hiccup, Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs, the twins, and I would be turning eighteen; recognized as young adults by our peers. It was encouraged that we tried to find someone to accompany us to this celebration, whether they be a simple friend or a potential romantic partner. Also, select women from the village were chosen to be the main entertainment, playing music and singing for those who danced. Those of us who were being honored were expected to start the dancing as well, with the parents and other adults joining after. As you could well imagine, the pressure was building for us.

Thankfully, I had a few tiny distractions to keep my mind off of all of the craziness. Or rather, a few rapidly growing distractions. Nightwing and Hookfang's babies were starting to grow in size, nearly three feet long from nose to tail tip. Their wingspan was easily four feet across, and they could already light their bodies on fire. Hookfang and Nightwing were spending even more time together than usual, which in turn meant that Snotlout and I were going to be seeing a lot more of each other, at least for the time being. We decided to share the responsibility of taking care of the dragon babies, since it was our dragons who had mated and bestowed such precious gifts to Berk.

One morning, I had accompanied the three dragon babies down to the waterfall under the mainland area of our island. It was near the docks, but still secluded, and I figured it would be a nice area to take the dragons to learn to swim. I shed my skirt and boots, but left my tunic and leggings on as I stepped into the water. It was crystal clear and cool, but thankfully the sun was shining even though it was winter. Snotlout was supposed to meet me here with Hookfang, but both were nowhere to be found yet, most likely held up talking with Hiccup or something. Nightwing followed me into the water, urging her babies to do the same. This was the first time that my dragon had had any eggs, so she was a very protective mother, as one could expect a new mom would be. The pale Monstrous Nightmare waded into the shallow part of the pond as well, the ripples lapping at the base of her legs. The three babies cocked their head and slowly scampered forward. Unfortunately, instead of heading toward the water, the dark blue one had discovered the way sand moves under a dragon's claw, and tackled his lavender sister into the soft ground. Of course, this spurred the other sister, the orange one, to defend the first against their brother. And so, thus began the play fight in which a tumbling flurry of purple, orange, and sapphire started rolling around in the sand beside the water, dust flying up into the air in a whirlwind of movement. Nightwing glanced at me and snorted, amused by her children's antics. I shrugged, laughing along with her. They're gonna be busy for a while. I thought.

Still not seeing Snotlout, and unable to train dragons in the midst of their battle, I decided that I should enjoy my time to relax. I walked further into the water, until I stood waist deep directly beside the waterfall. It was not a loud one by any means. In fact, the water was almost soundless as it rushed off the cliff and into the pond below, leaving a tranquil atmosphere that surrounded us. I sank to my knees, getting my hair wet and relishing in the refreshing feeling of the waves pulsing against my body and the spray dampening my face. Out of habit, I found myself singing. "Baby I just don't get it. Do you enjoy being hurt? I wish you knew I loved you, that we could make it work." I paused, thinking of a particular individual I was growing more attracted to by the day. "I don't care about their stories. I know that they're not lies. Bad as you are, I stick around and you just don't know why. If I was your girl baby you'd never worry 'bout what I'd do. I'd be coming home, back to you, every night, doin' you right. You're the type of man that deserves good things. Fist full of diamonds, hand full of rings. Baby you're my star, I just want to show you, you are. You should let me love you, let me be the one to give you everything you want and need. Baby, good love and affection, make me your selection. Show you the way love's supposed to be. Baby you should let me love you, love you, love you." I really did care about Snotlout, as more than a friend. And it was more than even a crush. He meant so much to me, and I didn't have the courage to tell him. Everyone always looked passed him, but I knew what kind of gem he was, under that tough, arrogant exterior. I had seen it. "You're true beauty's description 'you look so good that it hurts.' You're a diamond plus ninety-nine and it's a shame. Don't really know what you're worth. Everywhere you go they stop and stare, cause you're bad and they know. From your head to your toes, you're out of control, baby you know. If I was your girl baby you'd never worry bout what I'd do. I'd be coming home, back to you, every night, doin' you right. You're the type of man that deserves good things. I don't care for diamonds, I don't care for rings. Baby you're my star, I just want to show you, you are. You should let me love you, let me be the one to give you everything you want and need. Baby, good love and affection, make me your selection. Show you the way love's supposed to be. Baby you should, you should know, that I love you, yeah..." He always showed off in front of Astrid and Heather, and yet, it seemed he didn't look at me like that. Yeah, he joked and flirted casually, but he had made no move to even suggest courting me. It was so frustrating. Astrid and Heather didn't even like him like I did. I continued singing, growing slightly more passionate in my words. "You deserve better boy, you know you deserve better. We should be together boy. Baby! With me and you it's whatever boy! So can we make this thing real? You should let me love you! Let me love you! Ohhh! Baby! You should let me love you right....yeah...you should let me love you..." I finished. The water was still running down my face and neck, soaking through the top of my tunic so I moved away from the waterfall and back over to Nightwing. The babies had stopped fighting finally, and were now sneezing out sand particles. I giggled, practically feeling the disbelief radiating off of my dragon. "They're yours." I reminded her, hands up in defense. She snorted and shoved me with her shoulder, making me lose my balance. I laughed harder, knowing she was getting annoyed now. My poor dragon...

                                                                              Snotlout POV

Snotlout Jorgenson and his dragon had awoke rather late in comparison to their general time. With the seasons changing in Berk, he and the other dragon riders had been busy helping the village gather food and supplies for the winter, as well as trying to find out more information about Viggo and Dagur. Since Snoggletog already past, the next big event would be the coming of age dance. As much as Snotlout boasted though, he was actually pretty nervous, particularly about finding someone to go with him. It was clear to him that Astrid would be accompanying Hiccup, and Heather with Fishlegs, so it looked as if he would be going to the dance alone. He knew that that would also be something his father, Spitelout, would never let him live down. He could hear the gruff man's voice in his head, even when the tall viking was nowhere around. "No Jorgenson man has ever gone to a coming of age dance alone! Women have been swooning for centuries over our family." Snotlout sighed. No one would want to go to the dance with him, no one, except perhaps...

A small smile came across his face as he thought about the girl he was presently on his way to go see. Brenna Derganson had certainly proved to be something Snotlout had never encountered before. In all honesty, Heather and Astrid were nowhere near as amazing in his eyes. Snotlout had been attracted to Brenna since he met her, but she never responded seriously to any of his flirting. Besides that, she was more than just a pretty face. The healer's apprentice was so different, so intriguing. He couldn't help but care for her more and more as time went on. She was so funny and kind, yet strong, and she was still one of the most intelligent people Snotlout had ever met. She rivaled even Fishlegs in that department. When he saw her training with Nightwing that day those few months back, he couldn't bring himself to do anything but simply watch as her sword cut through the air with practiced grace and she flew her dragon with what seemed to be a rehearsed elegance. He knew she was meant to be a dragon rider, like him and the others. And deep inside, Snotlout knew that she was the one he should ask to escort to the dance.

When he brought her to Dragon's Edge, he hoped he could have convinced her to stay. But he also knew of her responsibility to Gothi and Berk, and understood why she turned them all down. Still, some part of him, an unfamiliar part, ached to hear her refuse. When he watched her endure the trials the riders had put together for her, he was still amazed at everything he saw. She bested them all, and somehow managed to remain humble about the ordeal. Her archery accuracy was mind blowing, and her swordsmanship was impeccable. And that didn't even include the bond she had with Nightwing, and all the amazing things he witnessed them do together. Although Heather had won with her axe against Brenna, Snotlout still didn't believe that one loss was a fault. If he knew Brenna like he thought he did, he was sure she would practice until she had mastered everything there was to know about wielding an axe. Snotlout was the first to suggest that they make her a official rider like the rest of them, but after everything Hiccup and everyone else saw her do, they quickly agreed. That's why it was so disappointing for the Jorgenson boy to hear his friend say no to their offer. Even after Hiccup negotiated with her and Brenna changed her mind, Snotlout still wished she could stay with them, but he was glad that even though she couldn't live on Dragon's Edge, she had chosen to become a dragon rider.

When Brenna kissed his cheek though, Snotlout was left completely speechless. No girl had ever done that to him, except his mom, but that didn't count. The feeling of Brenna's soft, red lips pressed against his skin was enough to keep his face burning for hours afterward, causing him to be unable to speak to her at all for the rest of the night. Surprised by the incident, he was left wondering what it meant. But once again, he decided she was simply being friendly toward him, unable to see the adoration in her eyes as she smiled and walked away.

For Snoggletog, he knew he had to give her that bow and arrow set, seeing how well she handled them. Gobber had no problem shining them up, seeing how important it seemed to Snotlout for it to get done. And when Snotlout saw Brenna's reaction, the boy knew it was worth every coin. Upon receiving her gift however, he had no words. The shoulder cloak was something he had not known he wanted until she had put it on him. The bear fur was something he promised himself he would wear as often as possible, just so she knew it meant something to him. Then the mistletoe incident was a completely different matter. He had seen it hanging above them just as she had. He noticed how she tensed and looked back to him curiously. Snotlout actually debated kissing her, it was custom after all, and honestly he had never kissed anyone before, so why not. Yet, once again, the moment was ruined by some stupid interruption.

Flashing forward to present time, Snotlout followed Hookfang as the dragon followed his mate's scent. Snotlout couldn't help being a little bit pleased with himself that the dragon that Hookfang had had babies with was Brenna's as well. The male dragon had not come home with babies since the first time the dragons had left Berk to lay their eggs, leading his rider to believe something must've happened to the previous female. But since meeting Nightwing, Hookfang had become closely attached to her, and even Snotlout had to admit that their babies were adorable.

Hookfang turned a corner, following the path down to the waterfall below Berk. Within moments, Snotlout and Hookfang were standing at the edge of the pond, staring at an enormous blue dragon watching three babies lying in the sand. Brenna started walking out of the water, the fabric of her tunic and leggings clinging to her skin. Water slicked her hair back, darkening it and weighing it down behind her shoulders. "You're late." She teased, punching Snotlout lightly on the bicep. "Yeah. Sorry about that. Haven't been getting much sleep lately." He answered, trying not to stare too much as she slipped her skirt back on over her leggings and stepped into her boots. "Tell me about it. I had baby duty last night." She grinned. Snotlout smiled back apologetically. "Sorry. What are we doing today?" He asked curiously. Brenna raised an eyebrow at him. "Teaching the babies how to swim. Or at least Hookfang and Nightwing will and we will attempt to help them if they need it. Don't you remember?" She explained. Snotlout shook his head, embarrassed, realizing that he had been so wrapped up in thinking about the dance that the lesson had slipped his mind. "Oh. Well it's fine...Look! Hookfang is already starting, see?" She exclaimed, nodding in the direction of the giant orange dragon. He was carefully lifting each baby in his jaws, then setting them in the water beside Nightwing. Every baby struggled in their father's grasp until they hit the water, then they weren't quite sure what to do. Snotlout and Brenna sat on the sand beside the pond, close enough to brush shoulders, but leaving enough space that it did not cross a line yet. "You know, we still haven't named any of them yet." Snotlout remarked. Brenna nodded, focusing her attention on the baby dragons.

Both riders were silent for a moment as they watched the adult dragons try to teach their brood how to wade through the water. "What about Duskwing for her." Brenna suggested, pointing toward the small purple dragon with soft yellow eyes and small patches of pink that outlined the inner parts of her wings and legs. Snotlout contemplated the name, unused to thinking about dragon names that weren't necessarily masculine. "Sure." He agreed, thinking it would work based on the baby's coloring and attitude. She was the calmest of the trio, so Duskwing did seem like a fitting name.

He turned his eyes on the male dragon, the biggest and strongest of the fledglings. Presently, the dark sapphire dragon was copying Hookfang's movements as the massive adult moved his head under the water and held his breath. Snotlout looked at Brenna, wanting to ask her opinion on the name he was debating on for the blue dragon. "I was thinking...maybe Stormfang for him. Cause his scales are so dark and he's the fiercest of them." He spoke confidently, gesturing at said dragon. Brenna furrowed her brows, appearing to be deep in thought. Then, a large grin split across her face. "I like it. That's a great name for him!" She exclaimed. "Now, we just have to pick one for the girl over there." She continued, pointing at the orange sister who was climbing over Nightwing's back and nibbling on her mother's wings. Snotlout laughed as well. "How about...Flame....something..." He trailed off, staring at the way the sun reflected off of Brenna's soft eyes, making them appear gray in color instead of her usual cool blue. He forgot what he was going to say as he admired the way that she curled her hair around her fingers. "Flame...what?" She suddenly spoke, turning her gaze on him. Snotlout flushed a slight pink, realizing what he had been doing. "Um...um...I don't know...Flame something I guess..." He chuckled at the end, hoping the girl hadn't noticed that he had been staring at her.

Brenna shifted in position, tilting her head curiously. The russet dragon baby was now splashing in the ripples of the waterfall, swimming with a nearly perfect stride through the pond. The way the sun hit her body created a giant shadow on the rock wall behind her. Brenna got an idea, glancing between the dragon and her dark replica. "That's it! Flameshadow!" She smiled. "What?" Snotlout hadn't quite caught the name, distracted by her excitement instead. "Flameshadow. She's orange but her stripes look like shadows dancing over her skin." She explained. Snotlout understood then. "Flameshadow." He repeated. "Sounds good to me." Brenna looked back at the dragon family, while Snotlout felt adrenaline start pumping through his body. He knew he should ask her about the dance, while they were alone and sitting so close to one another. The youngest Jorgenson swallowed thickly, his adam's apple bobbing nervously as he faced the other rider. "Here I go..." He thought.

                                                                                              Brenna POV

Once Snotlout had arrived, we quickly settled into our typical air of casual friendship. We sat together on the warm sand surrounding the waterfall, watching as our dragons interacted with their children playfully. The two adults were outnumbered by babies, and of course, babies never listen to anyone. But the parents were attempting to show the young how to swim, using the shallow water as a safe place to begin.

While Hookfang and Nightwing kept themselves busy, Snotlout and I discussed the names for the babies. Originally, we had chosen not to name them until we saw what their attitudes were. A few weeks having passed, it was a good time to decide what we should call them. Upon reflection, it would've been rude to just keep calling them "the babies" without having specific names to refer to them as. I picked out the first one for the runt of the litter, the pastel lavender one with the golden eyes. She reminded me of the sunrise and sunset, and how the sun cast an array of pinks and purples in clouds at those times of the day, and so the only name that sounded right for her was Duskwing.

I let Snotlout choose a name for the only boy of the group, the dark blue one. It didn't take long for Snotlout to decisively pick the name Stormfang for him, which made sense. After all, the dragon was the color of the dark clouds during stormy nights, with electric green eyes that would rival even those of the sea god, Aegir.

Finally, the third baby was the last to be named. She took after her father, with deep orange scales and a slight reddish hue on her wings. But her black stripes moved fluidly as she gracefully swam through the water. Staring at her was like staring into the embers of a windblown fire. The prominent stripes looked as if they had minds of their own. While all of the Monstrous nightmares had black stripes along their bodies, there was something unique about the ones on the second sister. As if they stood out even more, most likely because of her much lighter coloring in comparison to her siblings. Snotlout was right when he began with "Flame." But as I watched her slink through the water with just as much skill as her mother, and I saw the darker outline of her body cast on the stone behind the waterfall, I knew just what should complete her name. I looked at Snotlout, taking little notice of the slightly pink skin on his face. "That's it! Flameshadow!" I told him. He looked confused, but once I explained my craziness, he quickly agreed.

Having settled on the names of each dragon, we fell into a short silence again, our attention glued to the five dragons playing in the waterfall, two of which were chasing some trout around. I heard Snotlout take a deep breath and move a little bit closer to me. I tensed, waiting for what he was about to do or say. "Brenna, I-" He was cut off by a much louder voice breaking through the air. All of us jumped, our hearts skipping a beat in shock. "Brenna! There ya are!" Gobber was hobbling toward me from up the hill. "I checked Gothi's for ya, but she hit me over the head and sent me here!" I got to my feet, brushing sand off of my tunic and leggings. "Hello Gobber, what can I do for you?" I heard Snotlout muttering behind me, something like "Stupid peg leg, gotta interrupt everything..." The rest was gibberish, so I turned back to the village blacksmith. "Stoick sent me, you've been chosen to sing at the coming of age celebration." He announced, exposing a toothy grin. My eyes widened. "Are you serious?" I asked, in complete astonishment that I had been picked for the entertainment. That was a tremendous honor, as the chief himself picked the women to sing, and only the best singers in the village were considered for the role. Granted, singing was far less of a strong suit here than most places, but still, it came as a surprise. I had never sang in front of anyone in public, at least, anyone except for Nightwing.

Gobber let out a hearty laugh. "Yes, well, ya best get going lassie. Stoick and Gothi have the other girls in the Great Hall. They are getting ready to learn the songs for the celebration. I'm sure Snotlout has everything here under control." The burly viking added, glancing over my shoulder. "Okay Gobber. I'm going now." I said, starting to walk toward him. "Wait! Brenna!" Snotlout called. I turned back around, meeting Snotlout's anxious gaze. "Oh, sorry Snotlout. What were you saying?" I remembered he had been speaking when Gobber had interrupted us. I watched him swallow and scratch the back of his neck. He actually looked nervous, which I had never seen before. Not like this. He took a deep breath, "Can I escort you to the coming of age celebration?" He blurted out quickly. It took me a second to fully understand what he had said, as he had spoken so fast I hardly had time to recognize each syllable. But as I felt his anticipation for my answer, and I saw Gobber's surprised expression at the ordeal, I knew I had heard him correctly. A faint blush rose to my cheeks once again. "Sure. I'd love to go with you Snotlout." I answered with a shy smile.

Feeling butterflies in my stomach, I walked back over and hugged my friend. "I've gotta go. See you later." I told him, pulling back to see him smiling excitedly as well. "You will watch them, won't you?" I asked one last question, gesturing at the dragons. He nodded slowly, still staring at me in what appeared to be a daze. Internally, I laughed at the change in his confident demeanor, but in reality, I simply continued to smile as I moved back and walked toward the hill that led up the the village. Gobber waved me off, and I left the waterfall to head up to the Great Hall. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 3.9K 13
You have lived on Outcast Island ever since you were a baby. When you were 12 you had a traumatic experience and through that, you met the world's r...
11.6K 290 8
"This is Berk. We have fishing, hunting, and charming views of sunsets. The only real problems we have are our enemies; Dragons. They plague the Arch...
5.5K 187 8
(y/n) is the son of a fishermen who grew up on Berk alongside his best friend Hiccup. Both went through losing a parent during a dragon attack. (y/n)...
9.9K 119 23
Hiccup has the perfect life. Well his past isn't perfect but at least he loves what he have now. He has a family, friends, a dragon and a girlfriend...