Write Better, Write Happier...

By HeyMysty

Enjoy your writing! ☺ 2022. Help from a Watty Award-Winning Author, Wattpad Creator, and long-tenured Senior... More

Why Mysty's Book?
① ✍️ Writing Tip: How To Stay Inspired
② ✍️ Writing Tip: Notice "Was"
③ ✍️ Writing Tip: The Reader Isn't You
④ ✍️ Writing Tip: Finding the Middle Way
💚 Write Happier 💚
⑤ ✍️ Writing Tip: Show, Don't Tell
⑥ ✍️ Writing Tip: Using Descriptions as Space
⑦ ✍️Writing Tip: The Word:Idea Ratio
⑧ ✍️ Writing Tip: Double Justification
⑨ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Gaining a Following
①⓪ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: The Truth About Feedback
①① 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Intro to Contests & The Wattys
#1 in Nonfiction - Thank You!
①② 🧡 Wattpad Tip: User Contests and Wattpad Genre Profiles
①③ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Naver, Wattpad Stars, Studio, Etc.
①④ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Appearances + Blurbs
①⑤ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Cover + Title
💚 Positive Motivation - ☯︎ Yin 🌚
💚 Positive Motivation - ☯︎ Yang 🌞
①⑥ ✍️ Writing Tip: Where You Write Matters
①⑦ ✍️ Writing Tip: Editing with Basic Tips
①⑧ ✍️ Writing Tip: How to Begin a Book
①⑨ ✍️ Writing Tip: Outline Your Story
②⓪ ✍️ Writing Tip: "Said" Never Died
②① 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Chapter Length, Rankings, and Release Schedules
②② 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Keeping Up With Your Release Schedule
②③ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Wattpad Burnout
②④ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Your Happiness
❤️ More Help! ❤️
②⑤ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Help Books and Advice
②⑥ ✍️ Writing Tip: Write Stronger Characters
②⑦ ✍️ Writing Tip: Write Stronger Characters ❷
②⑧ ✍️Writing Tip: Characters, A Big Entrance
②⑨ ✍️ Writing Tip: One Main Character
③⓪ ✍️ Writing Tip: POV and The Narrator
③① 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Avoid the Mature Rating
③② 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Multimedia
③③ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Wattpad Friendships
③④ 🧡 Wattpad Tip: Dealing with People on Wattpad
💚 Meditation For Writing and Wattpad 💚
③⑤ ✍️ Writing Tip: Pacing
③⑥ ✍️ Writing Tip: Editing, and Giving Your Story Some Space
③⑦ ✍️ Writing Tip: The Art of a Paragraph
③⑧ ✍️ Writing Tip: The Semi-Colon
③⑨ ✍️ Writing Tip: The Ellipsis
④⓪ ✍️ Writing Tip: The Dash, and Read a Book!
💚 You Get Out What You Put In 💚
④① 🧡 Wattpad Help: Getting Others Involved
④② 🧡 Wattpad Help: Getting Others Involved ➋
④③ 🧡 Wattpad Help: Disclaimers, Front Matter, Warnings, etc.
④④ 🧡 Wattpad Help: Copyright
④⑤ 🧡 Wattpad Help: Mirror Sites
④⑥ 🧡 Wattpad Help: Translations
💚 It's Never the End 💚
𝘾 𝙖 𝙡 𝙢 🌼 A Pocket Guide To Breathe Easy
➊ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: Writing Poetry
➋ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: The Thesaurus
➌ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: Is It Too Big?
➍ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: The Perfect Story
➎ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: Asking For Follows
➏ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: Trying to Surprise the Reader
🧩 Bonus Advisory - You MUST Do This 🧩
➑ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: Rich Fictional Settings
➒ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: No Really, When Do I Get Readers?
➊⓿ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: Planning Your Story Saves Lives
➊➊ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: Writing Drama
💌 Mysty's Mailbox (#1-3)
...

➐ 🌱 Bonus Seminar: The Problem with Flashbacks

1.3K 99 17
By HeyMysty

In all my recent years writing novels, I don't think I've ever written a flashback. I don't think I've even considered writing one. The thought just never crosses my mind.

Now, as you've hopefully come to expect from me, I'm not going to say, "Never use flashbacks!" I have no doubt that, in some stories, they work very well. However, you should be careful about using them because they do have some flaws.

Flashbacks don't advance the action. This is quite literally true, because flashbacks by their nature have already happened. No matter how interesting or action-packed a flashback is, it's not going to be as relevant as what's happening in the present, because there is no real choice happening. The destination is pre-determined.

Flashbacks don't surprise you as much. When you read a flashback or watch a film flashback, do you feel the stakes are as high as when the characters are actively doing something in the main tense of the movie? Probably not, because you know certain things can't happen in the flashback. Certain character developments can't occur because you know the present situation, for instance. Certain characters can't die, for instance. Sure, flashbacks can be surprising, but by their nature they will never be as surprising as what happens next.

You will always know some things can't happen in a flashback, whereas you can never be totally sure of what will happen in the present moment.

I've often brought up the word:idea ratio, that whatever you write and include should accomplish a lot of things. For me, I never use flashbacks because I'd rather have characters present the event in the present, which both establishes the needed details of the past while also advancing the relevant present-day drama, which of course can snake in any direction under the sun.

For example, if a character discusses a harrowing episode with a friend, we not only get the details of that episode (which might be important in explaining why she is the way she is today), but we also get her perspective on it right now. She might get angry about it, or stop talking about it. She might want revenge or want to forget it. She can make a choice about what to do next.

And if a conversation feels too dry for the material, then make a character compulsively paint about it, make a character mirror it in a play or at work, make a character do something wild because of what happened... You can spice up the present events to elevate the drama, if action is what you need.

No matter how you look at it, you can accomplish more in less time by not using flashbacks.

Some might say that we can't really feel our "harrowing episode" if it isn't set up and recreated in a flashback. There's some merit to this, because of course a well-written scene will capture that episode vividly. However, I would thus challenge our imaginary interlocutor: In a really, really well-written scene, could you not capture the present action, dialogue, feelings, and choices as well as the important, shocking details of the past?

Of course it's possible. Now, would a flashback be easier than accomplishing all of that at once? Yes, but it's not about what's easy. In a previous seminar we discussed the perfect story and how hard it is to make. Foregoing a flashback to create a vivid, emotionally engaging scene in the present can be tough, but it is usually the better scene.

So, if you find yourselves writing flashbacks, think carefully about them. Think, is this really the most engaging way to present this information? Think about how you feel when you read or watch flashbacks. Do they feel like info dumps sometimes? Do they feel like they insult your intelligence sometimes, like you don't remember what happened? Do they feel a little dry because you know a lot of what happens next?

Occasionally, writers frame the entire story as a flashback. They start with the ending or some midpoint, then flash back to the beginning and go from there. It works a lot of the time, but be very careful. I have often heard people express a disconnect with such stories, saying, "I already know such and such will happen, so the drama just isn't there for me," whereas I have never heard someone say of a story that is not a flashback, "I don't know such and such will happen, so the drama just isn't there for me."

Not knowing the future is what makes that next step so interesting. Supply more of that, and less of what the reader already knows!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.1K 157 11
A collection of my boring essays I've written so far in college. A various group of essays, from History and English classes to Film classes. From to...
63.6K 1.5K 152
A collection of true crime cases both solved and unsolved. This is not a way of being disrespectful towards anyone involved in any of these cases i...
109K 3.1K 25
AU - Soulmate au, where your world is colorless until you meet (or in this case touch/bump into) your soulmate. If they die, your world goes back to...