Dragon Blood

By mwendlandt

"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed... More

One: Escape
Two: A Life for a Life
Three: More Than They Bargained For
Four: Still The Princess
Five: Time for a Party
Six: Sore Feet
Seven: Threat of Exposure
Eight: Orion
Nine: Uncertain Plans
Ten: Missing
Eleven: Magnificent
Twelve: Taking Care
Thirteen: Home
Fourteen: Found
Fifteen: Two Sides of a Coin
Sixteen: Lavender
Seventeen: Handsome
Eighteen: Blue
Nineteen: They Are Kings
Twenty: Alpha, Beta, and the Next in Line
Twenty-One: Time for the Truth
Author's Note: THANK YOU
Twenty-Two: Do You Promise?
Twenty-Three: You're a Danger to Everyone
Twenty-Four: Wounded Bird
Twenty-Five: Tossing, Turning, and Whispered Conversations
Twenty-Six: It's Only a Week
Twenty-Seven: The Messenger Arrived
Twenty-Eight: Sisters Don't Have to Get Along
Twenty-Nine: After All This Time
Thirty: You'll Be Safe There
Thirty-One: A Selfish Man
Thirty-Two: The Enemy of My Enemy
Thirty-Four: Home Again
Thirty-Five: A Head Full of Plans
Thirty-Six: Help Convincing the King
Thirty-Seven: True Mates
Thirty-Eight: Been There Before
Thirty-Nine: Easier to go Numb
Forty: Stubborn Nogards
Forty-One: Promise the Child
Forty-Two: Hate at First Sight
Forty-Three: Back from the Dead
Forty-Four: Little Things
Forty-Five: First Flight
Forty-Six: An Alpha's Approval
Forty-Seven: A Woman Scorned
Forty-Eight: Sides Chosen
Forty-Nine: Ready
Fifty: Our Spot
Fifty-One: Dust in the Wind
Fifty-Two: A Proposition for a King
Fifty-Three: Here
Fifty-Four: A New Twist
Fifty-Five: Drums of War
Fifty-Six: Linked
Fifty-Seven: Blood Red Ruby
Fifty-Eight: A Bond Broken
Fifty-Nine: Lost
Sixty: A Sacrifice
Sixty-One: Valerie
Sixty-Two: A Mating
Dragon Fire is Now Started!
Something Cool to Show You!

Thirty-Three: On the Road Again

7.7K 401 66
By mwendlandt

"A plan?"

"Yes, a plan," she assured him. "I wouldn't do something like that without a plan."

He sighed, relief flooding over him. Of course, he wouldn't fully relax until he heard her plan and agreed with it. Without thinking, he pulled her close and rested his forehead against hers. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, letting her scent and the feel of her wash over him. His dragon was still irritated about the entire situation, but her proximity helped ease his temper.

"It'll be okay," she whispered. "We'll be okay."

There was a low grumble from behind them and Orion spun around quickly, but he didn't release her. He grasped her hand as if Draco was coming for her that moment. His eyes clashed with his father's, who looked down pointedly at where Orion and Skylar were in contact.

"What was that?" Leo demanded. Orion wasn't sure whether his father was referring to his proximity to Skylar or what just happened with Draco, but either way he was firmly on Skylar's side. Orion was disappointed in himself for forgetting where he was and who his audience when embracing Skylar, but he didn't regret it. He just wished he'd handled it a little better. He needed to keep his wits about him, and panicking over Skylar wasn't the way to do that.

"Draco knows where we are," Orion stated instead of directly answering Leo's question.

"Yes, unfortunately. What I want to know is how those two dragons," he pointed angrily at the two retreating figures who were steadily growing smaller in the distance, "managed to get past our patrol."

"Magic, most likely," Kellan responded, his eyes narrowed at Skylar and Orion. 

Leo glanced at his friend before focusing on Orion once again. "Those are my dragons. He has my members of my clan, and now they're going back to him."

"Until he has me," Skylar said, stepping away from Orion, toward Leo.

The black-eyed Alpha smirked at her. "Yes, about that," he began. "That was very brave, what you did. Unfortunately, you've made us an even larger target."

"I didn't reveal myself to him mindlessly," Skylar argued. "Now we know for sure he's going to attack this place."

"He said he wouldn't," Kellan growled. 

Skylar shook her head. "Draco isn't a man of his word," she explained. "He'll hold off until he has me in his grasp, and then he'll attack here anyway. I'm almost sure of it."

Orion watched her speak with his father and pride swelled in his chest. She was holding her own, speaking like a member of a clan. Like the Alpha she was. Leo didn't intimidate her, not as much as the Draco, anyway, and she cared about his clan, enough to apparently risk her life for it.

"Then why-?"

"Because I've bought you time," she told the two Alphas. "I've bought myself time. Draco won't stop. He'll never stop. He thinks I'm an ignorant child, nothing more than a silly, naive, princess." 

Her steady gaze focused on Leo and Kellan and she stood slightly taller. She lifted her chin and her hands curled into fists at her sides. "But he's wrong. I'm a dragon."

Orion watched as the change took over her. The acceptance fueled her, and even he sensed the connection with her dragon, the one that had already begun to form, slide into place. He felt the power surge from her, the Alpha strength she still had yet to unleash. His own dragon purred at the knowledge that their lovely Skylar had accepted what she was wholeheartedly.

Leo, obviously having sensed the change in her as well, nodded his head once. "Yes, Skylar. You are. Now what have you bought us time for?"

<><><><><><><><>

"How can you be so sure Harold will agree to this?" Leo asked, tapping the tips of his fingers on the kitchen table. They were back in the Big House, and Orion, Leo, Kellan, both Alpha females, Percy, Jed, Zach, Olly, and Nana had just listened to Skylar's whole idea, one she'd apparently come up with on the fly before confronting Draco. 

"Kidnapping and threatening the crown princess isn't something that goes over lightly, believe it or not," she said pointedly. "He trusts me, and my testimony should be enough for him. Draco's gone too far this time, and he's trying to erase an entire culture, and entire species, simply because he doesn't like them. My father is a good man. He is also a powerful king. His army would destroy Draco's, and Draco knows it. My father's army plus dragons, unstoppable."

"Draco has magic on his side," Orion pointed out, not to argue with Skylar, just to remind her that Draco wasn't someone to be underestimated. "Willing or not, he has at least one very powerful witch helping him. And, currently, two dragons."

"Yes, how are we supposed to get them back? If Draco realizes what you're doing, that you have no intention of turning yourself over to him, he won't hesitate to expose us," Penelope stated. Her eyes were filled with worry for her daughter she just got back. It was easy enough for everyone to see how strongly Kellan and Penelope wanted to protest this plan.

Skylar hesitated for a moment, glancing around the room, but then spoke quietly. "For my father's army to help us, we'd need to be exposed."

Suffice to say, that didn't go over well. Growls erupted around the room, from everyone except for Orion, Olly, and Nana. 

"You can't possibly think that's a good idea!" Jed gasped. "Exposing ourselves to the humans would be suicide."

"Well staying a secret isn't really helping much either, is it?" Skylar shot back. "My father won't lie to his men."

"Why would they want to fight for us? Humans hate us," Kellan reminded her. 

Skylar met his gaze evenly. "They'll fight for my father. They love him, and many of them don't like Draco." Her eyes flicked to Orion, met his for a moment, and then glanced quickly away. "And I have a friend among the knights, the head knight actually, who will help rally the men."

It wasn't lost on Orion that this friend was a man, and that didn't sit well with him. Not one bit. His dragon growled low at the thought of a strange male on Skylar's mind.

Leo wasn't phased. "He knows what you are as well?" 

"...No. But he is a very dear friend. I think I can win him over." Again, she glanced at Orion but wouldn't hold his gaze. That alone bothered him. "If he trusts me, they likely will too."

"You think you can win over an entire army of humans? You're very confident," Jed said, his green eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Skylar appeared slightly offended. "You forget that I was, and still am, their princess. Their beloved princess."

Orion reached over, under the cloak of the table, and grabbed Skylar's hand. He squeezed it for support and she squeezed gently back. He still wasn't entirely sure how he felt about her role in the human world. It would make it very complicated when she truly moved to be a part of the clan, because right now she was simply missing. Which could, in theory, go on forever, but she was proposing that she return to her old life, even for a while. He brushed his thumb over the back of her hand. He would follow her anywhere, including to the humans, and that realization was something entirely new to him, just like everything to do with Skylar.

He looked away from her and his eyes clashed with Kellan's. The Alpha watched them closely, obviously not oblivious to the new development in Orion's relationship with his newfound daughter. Orion wondered how this would pan out with Cassie. He, of course, had no intention of continuing that relationship. His dragon wouldn't let him. It was then that he realized Cassie wasn't at the table with them, unlike the rest of her family. Whatever she was, she was still a part of the Alpha family, and she should be present for this.

"I didn't mean to offend you," Jed stated, holding up a hand complacently. "It's just that dragons, Wildlings or not, don't have the greatest relationship with humans. Learning that you turn into a dragon..." Her brother sighed heavily and shrugged his shoulders.

Penelope turned to Skylar and her eyes softened. "Darling, he has a point. Harold's men will likely have strong feelings about what you are."

"We have to try," Skylar told them. She looked around the room, making eye contact with everyone before stopping at Orion. Her eyes locked on his, that connection between them as strong as ever. "I can't let him hurt any of you."

Her gaze was pulled away from Orion when Victoria walked around the table to grab Skylar's hand. "Skylar, darling, that's not your responsibility."

"Isn't it?" Leo countered from his position at the head of the large dining room table. "Is it not her fault that Draco will be coming for us?"

"Dad," Orion snapped, turning to glare at his father. "The reason Draco found us was because our dragons led him here. There is no knowing if he would have ever found us without him. All Skylar did was stand up for what she thought was right. She put herself in the line of fire to protect us." He turned to the female next to him and her gaze softened as it collided with his again. He squeezed her hand, needing to touch her. She was safe and next to him, where he could keep an eye on her, but for how long?

"She wants to expose all of us," Leo stated, his eyes flashing. 

Orion stood up and placed his hands on the table, bracing himself. "Maybe it's time."

Unlike before, the room fell silent. This was their future Alpha speaking, not a newcomer. Orion met every eye in the room and only two pairs gave him their full support: Olly and Nana. His little brother nodded his head slightly, offering his loyalty.

"Maybe it's time to stop hiding," Orion continued. "For thousands of years we've left the humans alone, but they come after us again and again, trying to kill us. Maybe if we take this next step we can come to some sort of peace with them."

His father stared at him contemplatively, not glaring, simply curious. He leaned back in his chair, the scar on his face making him appear angrier than he really was. Orion met his gaze steadily while everyone else in the room stared between the two men, old generation and new.

"You truly believe that?" the Alpha questioned as he glanced at Skylar before back to his son. "You're not saying it just because you wish to bed her?"

Everyone in the room inhaled slightly, but Orion's snarl ripped through the air. He felt his own eyes flash and he bared his teeth. His voice was low as he answered his father. "Don't you dare speak about her like that."

"Orion," Skylar said softly. 

"No," he growled. "How dare you assume that I don't have this clan's best interest at heart, simply because I wish to be in Skylar's favor. You put it in your head that you don't like Skylar because you see her as a threat. I see her as an opportunity for a positive change. Someone to bring a new perspective to an ancient clan." He looked over his shoulder to look at the blue-eyed, red-headed beauty next to him. She was staring up at him adoringly, and the thought her dragon had came back to his mind. The first time he heard her voice in his head, and she'd wanted to protect him. Now he was going to protect her, just like he would for the rest of his life. She was his future, she was this clan's future, and he was going to make sure it happened. If Draco attacked them with the power he had, their future was bleak.

"And I can't wait to see where she brings us," he turned back to his father. "But she can't do that if you won't open your eyes and let her."

Leo rose to his feet. "Perhaps you and I should have a chat outside."

"Perhaps," Orion stated, walking out the door behind his father. The room behind him was silent as they shut the front door behind them. 

They walked just far enough away from the Big House so they wouldn't be overheard and stood shoulder to shoulder, staring out over the clan. They stood in silence, each waiting for the other to say something. That was the thing about the two Alphas: they were both comfortable with silence.

Leo finally caved. "You're not very subtle," he told Orion bluntly.

"I'm not trying to be," Orion stated blandly. "I'm trying to make the best decision for my clan. She's the best decision for the clan."

"You really think so? This isn't just some infatuation?"

"Dad," he shrugged his shoulders as if there were no other explanation. "I love her."

He very much enjoyed saying it out loud. His dragon did too, purring proudly in his head.

His Alpha nodded his head. "I thought so. Honestly, I was surprised you lasted this long without admitting it."

"You knew?"

"I knew the first time you brought her through my door," Leo turned to look at him, his gaze gentler than Orion had seen it in years. "You're my son, and I know you. You've never looked at anyone the way you look at her."

"Then why are you being like this?" he pleaded. "I know you think she's a danger, but I truly think she can impact the clan for the better. As their Alpha female."

Leo nodded again with a sigh. "Unfortunately, you're betrothed to Cassie."

A growl escaped Draco at the thought. "I won't be her mate. Not now that I've met Skylar."

"You think you can convince Kellan that Skylar will create the stronger alliance? She's never set foot on Eastern Clan territory, or spent any time with them. They're strangers to her."

Orion shrugged. "I can't physically let her go, Dad. The thought of not being with her..." he shook his head slowly. "I can't do it."

Leo chuckled and did the last thing Orion expected: he wrapped an arm around his son and squeezed tight. "You really do love her."

Orion nodded once.

"I still don't like the idea of our exposure, but I see your point, Orion. Maybe it's time for a change."

Orion raised an eyebrow, turning to face the most stubborn man on the planet. "You're agreeing, just like that?"

"You're the next Alpha. I know you're going to be a great one, son," Leo told him earnestly. "And to beat Draco, to truly beat him, we need to take drastic measures."

Orion nodded his agreement. "Like asking humans for help."

"Like asking humans for help," Leo confirmed. "But times are changing, and I think you're right. Skylar has a lot to do with that change." 

"Dad, I need you to be honest with me," Orion began slowly. "Everything to do with Draco aside, do you like her?"

Leo chuckled low and smirked at his boy. "I do. She's got a lot of Alpha in her, and she knows how to use it. I mean just look at her in there, arguing with a room full of Alphas about how to protect a bunch of strangers. I greatly respect that." He paused, the mirth leaving his marred face. He hesitated by then lifted his gaze to Orion's.

"I need to apologize to you, Orion. I've been cruel and truly awful to you and Skylar, and neither of you has done anything. I know it isn't Skylar's fault that any of this is happening, I know that she is probably the kindest person of anyone I've ever met. She's been through so much in such a short amount of time and yet here she still is, bonding with her dragon and becoming one of us. And you... you're the happiest I've ever seen you. I like seeing you happy, and I owe that all to her, I know that. So, son, I'm sorry."

Orion was taken aback. In all his twenty-four years, he couldn't think of a single time his father had apologized to him. Leo Nogard wasn't a man to apologize to anyone, especially one lower in rank than himself. 

It meant a lot to him that Leo was doing so now. He'd always gotten along rather well with his father, so the past few weeks had been hard on them both, the new strain in their relationship. And seeing how much Leo had loathed Skylar had caused a lot of turmoil and question of loyalty in Orion. He'd spent his entire life looking up to the great Alpha, but suddenly his hero was pulled out from under him and the awe was shifted over to a female he hardly knew but was never letting go.

"Thank you," he responded earnestly. "Truly."

Leo nodded, looking back out over the clan. The Square was bustling with activity, likely wondering what was going on in the Big House. It was difficult to miss what had happened with Jackson and Kordan and Draco's knights, and everyone wanted to know what it meant. Of course, they'd been told to stay away from the Big House until further notice, but that was only going to fuel their curiosity. Orion was impressed they'd stayed away that long.

"Dad," Orion began. "What's going on that you can't tell me?"

Leo glanced at him out of the corner of his eye. "What are you talking about?"

"You usually keep a level head, but you sort of blew up this thing with Skylar and Draco. I'm going to be Alpha soon, I have a right to know."

"Yes, you do," his father agreed. "But don't you worry about it now, all right? I need you to worry about dealing with Draco. I'll tell you after all of this has been settled."

"Dad..."

"All right? I want you to go with Skylar, to her father's castle and ask him for help. I doubt I would have been able to keep you here anyway."

"You want me to go with her?"

"She's going to be your mate, no matter what I say, it seems," Leo gave him a small smile. "You need to be with her, to protect her if necessary. So, I want you to go with her, do some scouting, reveal what we are if you must. I want this war with Draco over once and for all. We'll be all right here during your absence, and I'll even talk to Kellan on your behalf."

"I would appreciate that very much."

"You should leave as soon as possible. Are you going to bid Cassie farewell?"

"Not if I can help it."

<><><><><><><><><><><>

"I can't believe Leo just let us go. He must really want me gone," Skylar shook her head as he built a fire. They were stopped almost exactly where she had stood up to a raging bear for him. That felt like a lifetime ago, when in reality it was only about two weeks.

Orion threw her a grin over his shoulder as a fire sparked to life in the darkening evening. "He just wants this business with Draco to be over. He admitted that we had a point; we need your father's help. And exposing us... it's a big move that Draco will likely do anyway. If we beat him to it, we might have some control."

He stepped back and stared at his fire, making sure it caught. It felt strange, being on the road again, but Skylar was with him. He, too, was amazed at how quickly they had managed to get in the air. Once Leo declared the plan, his agreement with Orion and Skylar, everything had been set into motion. Skylar had inadvertently become the liaison between the dragons and humans and Orion couldn't think of anyone more suited.

"How did he get Kellan and Penelope to agree?"

Orion shrugged, standing up and moving over to wrap an arm around her shoulders. The feel of her was addicting and he wasn't fighting the urge. She leaned into his side, resting her head on his shoulder as they looked into the fire, and he couldn't help but marvel at how natural it felt. It had never been like this with Cassie. "The Western Clan was threatened, not the Eastern Clan. Dad had final say in how we dealt with this."

"Oh, but wouldn't they be exposed too?"

"Not entirely. Draco doesn't know their location, and neither does anyone else. They are safe from exposure, as are the other clans, so long as they're careful."

Skylar nodded her understanding, but changed the subject. "You didn't say goodbye to Cassie."

"No, I didn't."

"Why?"

"I didn't want to."

She leaned her head back to stare up at him and he grinned down at her. "What?" he asked.

"That was just terribly romantic," she smiled and he leaned down to peck her lips. She was quick to lock her hands around the back of his neck, not letting him escape her grasp. He chuckled, but complied with little argument.

"Thank you for protecting me this morning," he whispered against her perfect mouth.

He sensed her blush and pull away slowly. "I couldn't stop her, my dragon. You were in trouble and she just... took over."

"Did you want to stop her?"

"Not at all."

"Now that was terribly romantic," he laughed. He leaned back and cupped her face in his hands. "Do you remember anything about the flight?"

Her eyes widened slightly. "Yes, actually, I do."

"What do you remember?" he had to know if she remembered what her dragon had been thinking, if she had been thinking the same thing.

"I remember her being angry, so angry. But also scared—scared for you," she stared up at him with wide blue eyes. "I remember crash landing while she was fighting the other dragon."

"Anything else?" he prodded.

"It's all in snippets, flashes, but it's there. I know it's there," she insisted.

Perhaps if he helped her. He didn't want to embarrass her, or himself, but he had to know if she felt as strongly as he did. They hadn't had chance to talk about what was happening between them, and it was a talk they needed to have if she was to become Alpha female like he intended.

"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face.

She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look away. "You heard that?"

He nodded with a smile. "It was the first thought she ever shared with me."

Skylar pursed her lips. "She likes you very much."

"What about you?" he teased gently. "How do you feel about me?"

She set her jaw and once again managed to look down her nose at him while staring up at him. "Well... well, I love you, Orion."

He let out a relieved laugh, and pulled her into his chest again. "What a relief. I was worried it was just me."

He nuzzled her temple, inhaling deeply, his dragon fully at peace. "I love you," he whispered in her ear.

She shivered in his arms and they stood there like that long enough for the sun to set over the horizon. The fire continued to burn brightly as they separated and quietly ate some of the food Victoria had packed for them. And then Skylar started talking.

Orion had never heard her talk so much, but she wanted him to be ready for the castle, so it seemed she told him everything. She talked about growing up in the castle, her guards, Greta, her parents. He wanted to ask about her friend, the knight, but couldn't bring himself to do so. He didn't really want to know, not while she was talking so animatedly about the only life she'd ever known until recently. She explained how the guards worked, about her father's council, about her own role and experiences as princess.

"More people work in the castle than live in your entire village," she stated as she unrolled their blankets next to one another. "They cater to every need we have."

"What do you do yourself?"

"Not a lot," she admitted. She sent him a sly look. "Life in the clan was a big adjustment for me."

"I'd imagine, Princess," he chuckled, laying down on his blanket with an arm behind his head. He stared up at the stars, thinking of all the stories his mother told him when he was a child. She'd loved the stars.

Skylar lightly smacked his arm as she took up her place on her own blanket. They were next to one another, but there was enough space that he noticed. He didn't like her so far away, okay only a few feet, but he wanted her to be comfortable and feel safe. He rolled over on his side to look at her, to find she was already staring.

Her eyes took on a sad look, almost scared, and she moved closer to him.

"Skylar, what's wrong?"

"Everything's going to be okay, isn't it?"

"Love, we can take Draco, we can stop him. I'm not going to let him hurt you."

"No, I know that. I'm not really afraid of him," she shook her head. "What if my mom and dad don't forgive me for leaving? What if they're not happy to see me?" Tears began to brim in her eyes. Orion couldn't stop himself from closing the distance between them and he wrapped his arms around her once again.

"Skylar, of course they're going to be happy to see you," he insisted. "They're your parents. Your family."

"But I'm a dragon," she whispered. One single tear escaped her eye and he was quick to wipe it away.

"Then just remember that we're your family," he told her. "I'm your family." He pushed her hair out of her face and kissed her forehead.

"I think that sounds pretty good," she whispered, cuddling closer into him.

"Me too," he chuckled. It wasn't long before Skylar fell asleep, pressed against him. It was something that he could get used to very quickly. He smiled to himself and then down at the sleeping female. Yes, no matter what, everything would be okay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your patience while I posted this chapter! I've suffered from just truly awful writer's block, plus moving into my apartment, and training for my new job! Busy + writer's block = bad news. But I finally got it and now I know what the next chapter is going to look like! Classes start next week so updates might be delayed like this one, so I want to apologize in advance for that! 

Once again, thank you for reading and taking an interest in my writing!

Feel free to comment and vote!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 112 36
Michelle's life was almost perfect. Loving family, great college, perfect grades, good friends, and a crush on one of the sweetest guys she's met. Th...
142K 2.8K 22
"I am a werewolf." As those words slipped through my lips, my angel looks at me bewildered. "You're a-a- what?" I nod, "A werewolf. But not just any...
93.3K 1.7K 37
"The fuck you are leaving me." He snapped and growled at his mate. She was calm as she was ever be regardless of his snapping. She sighed and turned...
2.2K 212 44
Seventeen year old Skylar Midnight always thought she'd been an ordinary girl; she knows exactly what to expect when it comes to a person with causal...