Nomad {Editing}

By WolvesandMoons

To his family, he was a traitor, to his people he was a threat and to himself a monster. Charlie never had a... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE - Please Read
::Chapter 1:: Blood runs Deep
::Chapter 2:: Familiar Strangers
::Chapter 3:: Promise of Supper
::Chapter 5:: Time to Act
::Chapter 6:: Danger in the Shadows
::Chapter 7:: Everything Changes
::Chapter 8:: Old Friends
::Chapter 9:: Fight of our Lives
::Chapter 10:: The Damage Done
::Chapter 11: The King's Wrath
::Chapter 12:: Pleas and Compromises
::Chapter 13:: Run while you Can
::Chapter 14:: What might have Been
::Chapter 15:: Painful Truths
::Chapter 16:: Role to Play
::Chapter 17:: Cornered Mice
::Chapter 18:: Downfall
::Chapter 19:: Unanswerable Questions
::Chapter 20:: Honesty and Guilt
::Chapter 21:: Peace amidst Chaos
::Chapter 22:: Licking Wounds
::Chapter 23:: Innocents of War
::Chapter 24:: On the Road Again
::Chapter 25:: Sombre Parade
::Chapter 26:: Wild Horses
::Chapter 27:: Making Demands
::Chapter 28:: Bloodied, Bruised and Broken
::Chapter 29:: Out of his Mind
::Chapter 30:: Claustrophobic
::Chapter 31:: Uphill Battle
::Chapter 32:: Mirrored Image
::Chapter 33:: Worse yet to Come
::Chapter 34:: When all else Fails
::Chapter 35:: The Task
::Epilogue i:: Awake
::Epilogue ii:: Monster Hunt
::Epilogue iii:: Obedience
::Epilogue iv:: In Memory of You
::Epilogue V:: Long may she Reign

::Chapter 4:: Common Madness

8K 478 33
By WolvesandMoons

With little else to do other then watch, Charlie followed his brother a short way into the grass. Careful to not interrupt the hunt, the young man crouched on his haunches. Watching a man greatly more skilled then himself work. He couldn't help the admiration for the efficiency with which the older man worked.

Arthur slipped through the unfamiliar territory like a snake, with surprising surety. Until he caught a scent, then Arthur streaked forward like a bullet. After a short agile, the man disappeared into the long grass, leaving Charlie stranded on the edge of his seat. Waiting for the tell tale sounds of a kill.

His heart began to race at the very idea of his stomach being full once again.

Straining his eyes to catch whatever sight he could of the grey pelt against the green grass. For a while, all he could see were the grey ear tips of his brother. That was when he spotted Arthur's target.

A lone doe grazing a way off, beside a small body of water. As yet unaware of the threat posed to her.

Partially hidden by the tall grass, and lit by the golden light of the sun. It was almost a peaceful scene.

Had his hunger not been so great, a part of Charlie would have pitied the creature. She had no chance at survival against two starving wolves.

Even Satan would have been hesitant in taking the pair on.

Not questioning why a herd animal was alone and in a very vulnerable area. All Charlie cared about in that moment was the fact that they were going to eat.

It didn't take long, it was a very one sided fight once Arthur was able to get his claws and fangs on the small creature. A feeble bleat was all that came from her before it was over. Hastened by the scent of blood, Charlie followed his brother.

Making his way through the long grass with a lot less elegance then his brother. He knelt beside the dead doe.

Yet he didn't eat, it may have been a decade since he had last been a member of civilisation, but he remembered his manners to some extent. He settled down and waited, waited for permission.

For a moment, Arthur didn't seem to notice his brother's absence at the dinner table, when he did look up, mouth full and lips bloody. His eyes narrowed, "What's wrong with you? Would you prefer pheasant? Maybe a hare?"

Despite the seriousness of his tone, a smile was spread across his muzzle. Resulting in a strange expression on the dangerous animal.

Charlie on the other hand, was not smiling. "Your kill, you eat first." He spoke with simplicity, a politeness to his tone which felt out of place around his brother.

I lost the right to use that word a long time ago.

"Just eat, Charlie, your as hungry as I am."

Now he had permission, he didn't need to be asked twice and he pushed forward. The tearing of his flesh from skin to fur mixing with the sound of him burying his muzzle into the deer. Tearing into what remained of it. Arthur returned to his place beside Charlie, and the pair enjoyed their dinner.

The pair, so focused on filling their hungry bellies. Failed to notice the pair of eyes watching from behind them.

Lifting his bloodied muzzle from the now bare skeleton of the deer, he twitched his ears towards his brother. "Should we burry the remains? I'm not the only predator in these parts."

It was mostly an assumption, he had woken up on occasion with wounds not caused by his search for prey, and had found the carcass of cougars and bears before. His other side could find a needle in a thousand haystacks if that's what it took.

If that's what it took to satisfy the need to kill.

Arthur seemed to think for a moment, pausing as he drew his gaze across the long grass. He paused, "We'll be gone soon enough. Let the bears play with the carcass, it wont matter in the long run and we need to get running." He explained, lifting himself back onto two feet and returning to where his mare waited grazing.

Charlie paused, unable to shake the feeling that something wasn't entirely right. Then followed his brother, trusting his choices above his own.

Soon they were packed up and ready to go, Arthur had dragged himself onto the back of the horse and Charlie was about to pull himself up too. When Arthur swore loudly. "Dammit," he revealed a canister of water, which was leaking from where the lid had come off accidentally. "Refill this for me will you? I don't know when we will next have the chance."

He caught it without protest, he made his way over to the stream. Kneeling down he filled the canister, running his fingers through the water and cleaning his lips.

Feeling the eyes of his brother firmly on him, he knew it wouldn't be an opportunity to run. So he did as he was told and turned to return.

That was when he heard the growl.

Not Arthur's, Charlie recognised. No wolf was capable of making such an inhuman noise.

Before he realised it, he was running. Yelling as loudly as he was able to, "Arthur, run."

It was too late.

The bear had spotted his target and had lunged.

Lou had reacted quicker then Arthur had, rearing into the sky. Sending her unsuspecting rider to the ground with a hard thud and bolting.

The bear, a skinny creature clearly suffering from the after effects of a poor hibernation. Tore after the mare, a dark shadow against the grass. It's eyes intent on killing.

Were it to fail in killing the mare, Charlie and Arthur would become it's next targets.

All Charlie could do was try to intercept it.

On four legs before he hit the ground running, he leapt for the bear. Using the advantage of surprise and his momentum to drag it to the ground.

Yet he was much smaller, not as strong and in even worse shape then the starving creature. His surprise tactic didn't last all too long as the bear forced himself upwards. Dragging Charlie with him, who now found himself on the creature's back. Clinging on for dear life as he tore his fangs into the back of it's neck.

Regardless of how hard he tried, it seemed to cause the bear little pain. Two wolves by themselves had little hope of being able to bring down a full grown bear. A pack of them would have found it difficult.

Losing his footing after a while, Charlie landed hard. A cry tearing from his throat as his vision went black for a second. He could feel himself beginning to slip, and held onto it as best as he was able.

Killing the bear was one thing, everyone else in the proximity another thing entirely. Especially if Arthur was on that list.

Pulling himself back to his feet, he found himself nose to nose to the bear. Even from a few metres away, it was a terrifying sight. In the darkness, he was as fearless as he was dangerous. Yet now he was in his full state of mind, he knew the danger of death.

Now he was face to face with it, Charlie saw something that had gone unnoticed before.

Charlie wasn't the only one not in the right state of mind in this battle.

Foam coated the brown muzzle of the bear, it's eyes were almost entirely black and Charlie could almost small the madness coming from it. He wasn't aware that bears were capable of catching rabies, but it was the only explanation.

I wish I was that easy to explain. Pain stoked in his chest at that thought, but he pressed on.

Leaping back to his paws and lunging in a swift movement, Charlie did what he could to drag the bear to the ground a second time. Yet his every attempt was thwarted and the bear seemed constantly two steps ahead of himself.

He was beginning to struggle to see an outcome to this battle which was good.

The bear advanced, and with little other choice, Charlie backed up as far as he could go, until his paws touched the edge of the stream he had taken water from not moments before. He had no other place to go.

It would end here.

Charlie lunged, managing to get a grip on the bear's massive throat and holding on as best as he could. Ignoring the bear tearing at his flanks and back as it tried to get rid of the burden on his neck.

The thick skin of the bear made it difficult to get a grip, or to break the skin. But he held on regardless. Pain filled him, and he struggled to hold onto his humanity, but he still did his best to keep his grip on the bear.

With a final shake, Charlie had no choice but go flying when he at last lost his hold on the bear. He landed hard, hearing a cracking sound which told him that one of his legs had broken. He watched the looming bear approach, and prepared for death.

Just before he closed his eyes and accepted his fate, he saw the familiar silver grey fur of his brother flying through the air. Tearing into the side of the bear, they skidded away together, moulding into one. A blur of fangs and fur, almost impossible to see.

Yet Charlie couldn't force himself to look anywhere but.

In horror he watched his brother fall hard, and the bear prepare to drive his fangs into the older man's neck.

Left useless on the side-lines, Charlie new all to well that he would be next and there was nothing he could do about it.

At least that's what Charlie had thought. An angry sound from his right made him jump, and he looked up to see a great silver creature charging. Lou.

No idea what had possessed the mare, she charged for the bear with a mighty whinny.

The bear apparently only just remembering his hunger, turned and lunged for the mare. An easier target then the wolf who was happy to fight back. Forcing himself to not feel guilty about leaving their saviour to die, Charlie pushed on.

Watching in confusion, but not about to look a gift horse in the mouth. Charlie dragged himself to his paws. His broken leg tucked up beneath him as he crept towards his now unconscious brother.

Dragging the older man onto his back, gasping at the pain as he struggled to take the extra weight. Straightening his legs he found his window of opportunity and hurried away as best as he was able.

By the time he came across a building, his knees were close to buckling and he collapsed on the porch with a cry. Arthur landing limp beside him, he threw back his head and let out the loudest howl he was capable of making.

"Help us," he begged before the world went dark.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 1.1K 33
When three siblings move to back to America, they thought life would be great. Hammington was a town known for it's supernatural inclusive environmen...
16.4K 1K 43
A forbidden love story is easy to guess the ending of, spoiler alert....not a happy one. Which is why when my ex bodyguard shows up five years after...
7.8K 810 40
Everything Kit ever knew was destroyed when the power plant went into meltdown, but he never had time to mourn. For in a world of magic and monsters...
913K 45K 68
{Currently being edited} Book One of the 'Is The New' Series. Have you ever thought for a fleeting moment how you took life for granted when you find...