Harry Styles One Shot - One S...

By frustratedwizard

More

Harry Styles One Shot - One Spring Afternoon

152 2 0
By frustratedwizard

Hey dear readers. This is a short story I written by yours truly as a final requirement in English "Academic Reading".

 This was adapted from Pete Hammil's "Yellow Ribbon."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He sat quietly and patiently in the terminal waiting for the bus that would take him back where he left half of his heart. He was in the heart of London, miles away from the town he was born in. He leaned his head back and covered his face by his hat.

                Moments quickly passed, and the big, red, metallic structure was already standing in front of him. Several people stood up. When they got in, he followed. As he set his feet on the inside, people seemed faceless, they had no reaction. He was carrying a big algae-green bag, wearing a camouflage uniform and combat boots, so he expected people would stare at him, but he was wrong. They ignored him, yet he was happy about that.

                He found empty seats in the middle and sat just beside the window. He took off his hat, revealing his brownish brown curly locks.

The Big Ben, the green fields, all was eye-appetizing, yet what caught his attention the most was the sunflower field. It was spring and the flowers were in full bloom. Their yellow petals swayed as the wind had blown. The sight of the yellow flowers made him smile but it was just a split of seconds when his face turned into a scowl. The yellow hue reminded him of her, his very first love.

He couldn’t picture her smiling at the sight of him. He couldn’t imagine her hugging him after all what he had did to her. When they were three, they promised to be best friends forever. They were eight when she failed to go with him in the summer camp because he accidentally fractured her right foot. She refused to talk to him because she thought he purposely did it. When he came back, he went immediately to their favorite place. He found her trying her very best to climb up the tree. She was holding a yellow ribbon and she jumped in shock as he called her name.

                “What are you doing?” he asked.

She looked at the ground as she stretched her little arm to him. “Take this ribbon. I forgive you.”

                                And it was like a tradition. Whenever he made mistakes, she’ll just give him a yellow ribbon indicating he was forgiven. But things went different. They were eighteen when they confessed their feelings to each other. The feeling was mutual and they said they were keeping it since time immemorial. Their young love and desires enveloped their relationship. They were happy, but it soon faded away. People, their fate, and even their dreams, his dreams came in their way. When he received a call of duty, he hesitated at first, but accepted it as he saw no reason to stay. He too went and faded away.

“HARRY EDWARD STYLES!” a squeaky girly voice reached his eardrums. He was taken aback from the flashback of his life by the little girl by his side.

“Yes? What can I do for you, Miss…?” he stopped, not knowing her name.

“Hallerry…” she continued. “My mom told me once that my father’s name was Harry. But I—I don’t know. I think I misheard her and what she said was Harold.” She giggled and looked at him. He saw other people were staring at the girl. The looks on their faces suggested that the girl was somehow crazy for talking to someone she didn’t know.“Are you a soldier Mr. Styles?”

“Ex-soldier.” He stared at the girl’s features. She was like seven or eight. Her nose, her lips, her skin color, reminded him of her except from the eyes which were a shade of green, just like his. Her hair was ebony black, just like hers, but the difference was Hallerry’s hair was curly. Suddenly, the girl waved her little hand in front of his face. He shook his head and convinced himself what he was thinking was just a foolish idea.

“Are you going to Manchester too?” Hallerry asked again.

“Yes, little miss.”

“Do you live there?”

“Yes.”

“But how come it is my first time seeing you?” She pouted her lips and shifted her gaze on the outside.

“Because I was on duty these past eight years.” He answered briefly.

“Oh, I see.” The little girl faced the front and silenced herself for a while. She was getting something from her bag.

“Cookies, Mister?” she offered. He nodded and picked one. They munched quietly.

The bus was four hundred meters away from Manchester when the girl spoke up.

“Are you married, Mr. Harry?” the question brought aches all over his heart.

“No. Why?” he looked at the girl who was fiddling her little fingers.

“Nothing.” Hallerry slightly smiled then reached for his lap. There she laid her little head and drifted into sleep. He looked at the peaceful face of the girl then her beautiful face appeared on his mind. For eight years, he prepared himself not to be disappointed by the fact that she found another man and got married. He prepared himself not to be hurt, and not to be haunted by the past.

“We’re here!” Harry gently shook the girl’s shoulder. Her cute eyes fluttered open and she met his. He suddenly felt—weird—but in a good way. The girl stood up and excitedly ran towards the door. He followed her as she ran towards the hill. When the girl looked back, she was surprised.

“Why are you following me, Mr. Styles? Aren’t you going home to your parents?” she asked.

“I will later. But for now, I’ll go somewhere secret and we have the same path.” He said as he walked beside her. She suddenly took his hand and gripped it tightly. He looked at the little girl who was now smiling from ear to ear.

“My mom phoned me last night and told me she’ll meet me in our secret place. And aside from that, I’m pretty sure she’s doing her ritual again.” She said in just one breath.

Harry’s heart was pumping really fast as they were fast approaching the top of the hill. He knew that place by heart. It was just, he couldn’t accept the fact that someone had finally found their favorite place. Harry squinted his eyes as he stared unbelievingly at the big tree ten yards away from them. Its green leaves were now hidden because of the yellow ribbons tied in every branch.

“My mom hangs yellow ribbons on that tree every day for eight years. I don’t know the reason why but I heard it has something to do with her first love.” The little girl looked at him. He had heard enough. He was certainly sure his speculation was true.

“What’s your mother’s name, Hallerry?” he asked while hoping and praying on his mind.

“Her name is…”

“Hallerry!” a familiar voice sounded on the background. It took the both of them by surprise. They both turned around, only to find out a petite woman, on her late 20’s running towards them. Her long and brunette hair was fluttering in the air. The afternoon light made her face glow. Hallerry waved her hand as high as it could possibly be, but he gasped in disbelief. The woman suddenly came to a stop. She was looking at him intently, as if she had forgotten something and recalling what it was.

The time seemed to stop. No one was moving. Nothing could be heard for a good two minutes except from the crackling sound the leaves were making as they crash to each other.

“Hi!” he said hesitantly. The next thing that had happened wasn’t the one he was expecting. She ran towards him and put her arms around his neck. She clung onto it as she hugged him tightly. He was completely shocked yet he was still able to hug her back.

“Why didn’t you write? I waited for your letter.” She said as tears oozed from her brown eyes.

“I did, a hundred times. When I didn’t receive a single reply, I stopped, predicting that you got married and ignored my letters.” His face turned sad. “Are you—married?” he asked, shyly.

“I didn’t receive one, I promise you.” She replied.

“Who do you think blocked my letters? That’s against the law!” he said, quite furious.

“Doesn’t matter anymore. You’re here.” She said, smiling. He smiled bitterly for he knew something, as well as she.

“Mommy!” Hallerry squealed. They both pulled away from the hug and looked at the little girl. She ran towards her mom and she hugged her. Her mother knelt down to embrace her child.

“Hey, is she your child?” he asked.

“Yes. She’s mine…” she replied.

“That means you’re married.” He said flatly. He knew it. He exactly knew that the possibility of her being married wasn’t impossible. She was pretty and kind and smart, the woman every man would want to have.

“…and yours too.” She added, her eyes on the ground.

His eyes widened for he couldn’t believe what she had just said. He couldn’t find his voice so that he could speak.

“I went to your house the night you left. Your mom told me you received a letter about the army. I couldn’t believe you left without saying goodbye. I was devastated and swore I’d never forgive you, but then I realized I couldn’t stay hating on you especially when I gave birth to Hallerry.” She explained.

“I went to your house the day before I left for the army, so that I could formally say goodbye to you, but your father told me you weren’t home. He—he also said you want me to stay away from you. He said I’m a bad influence to you.”

“I didn’t say that! That was a lie! I’m telling you.” She defended herself. “I was in the hospital that time because I passed out while we were in the grocery. That was the day I found out I was carrying your child. My parents were so angry; I think that was the reason why my dad lied to you.”

She stood up and looked at the tree.

“I see you covered the tree with yellow ribbons.” He said, breaking the short silence.

She nodded and looked at him. “Yes. I was thinking, if you ever go back to this city again and see what I did there, you’ll find out that you still have a chance, that I have forgiven you. It is our tradition, right?” she flashed that pretty smile of hers and his heart melted.

“I know it! I know you’re my daddy. I felt it while we were in the bus.” Little Hallerry spoke up as she loosened the yellow ribbon from her hair and tied it around Harry’s wrist. The adults laughed. Harry reached for the little girl’s right hand and he held it tightly.

“Allen?” he lent his hand to her and she gratefully accepted it. They walked on the edge of the hill and she could feel that his hands were turning cold.

“It’s okay Harry.” She smiled at him. “It’s time.”

He nodded. He knelt down and kissed his daughter’s forehead. She held his face and stared at him as if she was memorizing something.

“Daddy, promise me you’ll always remember me.” She said, her voice quite shaking.

“Yes, I promise, sweetheart.” He kissed her forehead again and looked at the sky so that he could stop his tears from falling. He took off his camouflage hat and put in on his daughter’s head. He stood up and faced Allen. He pulled her into a tight hug and whispered, “I’ll always love you, Allen. If only I could have one more chance to straighten up what I did to you, to make the right choices, I’d do anything to have it. But—I guess this is it. It’s just good to know you have forgiven me.” He pulled away and wiped the tears off her face. He planted a soft kiss on her lips and then smiled.

“'Guess I won’t be long. I’m sorry if I have to leave you again. Just always remember, I love you, both of you girls.”

Little Hallerry gripped her father’s arm tightly. “I’m happy I am able to meet you even in a short time, even in this situation. I love you daddy.” Heavy tears escaped her eyes. That made Harry’s heart bleed.

“We’ll be seeing soon, Harry. I love you. You’ll always be the one.” Allen’s last words were the only thing he could hear. He looked at the sky and then closed his eyes.

Allen whispered in the air. “I love you, Harry. You can go now. You may rest in peace.” Her voice was broken, her tears were heavy, and her lips were trembling.

Yellow ribbons suddenly flown one spring afternoon in Manchester, England. He was suddenly out of sight. He went and faded away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.1K 801 45
Short scenarios for your favorite characters! (Well the male characters at least) The characters included are Alastor, Angel Dust, Sir Pentious, Husk...
473K 1.5K 47
🔞🔞🔞 warning sex!! you can cancel if you don't like it.This is only for the guys who have sensitive desire in sex.🔞🔞
43.8M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...