The Reluctant Marchioness

By littleLo

After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue

Chapter 2

84.5K 2.8K 240
By littleLo

"I knew how to be a friend, a lover, a partner. I knew how to make someone feel cherished and seen and listened to -- everything I had myself always so desperately wanted and been afraid I might never have because I was so used to being overlooked." Alexis Hall, Waiting for the Flood 

----

Chapter Two

Once they'd all been seated, Rose forgot all about her thoughts on Derek feeling obligated to escort her into the dining room. Emmett sat down at the head of the table with Bess and Marie beside him. Rose took her seat between Bess and Charlotte with Nate beside her sister. Maggie sat beside her father while their guests sat opposite them, Derek beside Marie and Stephen beside his son.

The meal was delicious, as was anything that Mrs Weston prepared. The conversation started off quite casually. The guests described their journey across the Atlantic Ocean and their relief to step onto dry land once more. They also spoke about how they'd already organised for men to begin work on Pendleton Park at the beginning of the following week, with hopes that the hotel would be ready to open within three months.

Rose finally understood Emmett's description of Derek as 'business savvy' when he began to speak about land management, though.

"So often, you landlords allow your tenants to live on hundreds, if not thousands of acres of good farming land, and you only have rental income coming from onetenant. My theory is that if you quarter these portions of land and instead have four tenants working it at the least, you will produce more crops and livestock, and it will generate four times the rental income for you." Derek spoke so passionately and intelligently. He was not forceful, but in the way he spoke, with such conviction, one could tell that he knew of what he was speaking. "I've found that you British aristocrats often shy away from modernisation in favour of tradition. Believe you me, sir, I know what I am talking about."

How he spoke marvelled Rose. She'd never before encountered such a revolutionary, one who wasn't afraid to move forward.

"How would you go about approaching a farmer, who has had the land in his family for generations, and telling him that you are to take away three quarters of his livelihood?" Emmett pondered. He was not being condescending, but was purely asking the question out of curiosity.

"That is the thing about modernisation," Derek replied. "You've got to make hard decisions. But when you think about it logically, if a man farms a thousand acres of land, reducing it down to two hundred and fifty is still a substantial amount of land to control. You would then lessen the rent. I'd wager the man would gladly take the offer. Less work, and less rent."

"Isn't he brilliant?" Stephen boasted with a wide smile on his kind face. "He gets his mind from his mother."

"So you cannot boast a brain then?" Marie said distastefully as she sipped her wine.

"Marie!" hissed Bess, who sat opposite to her.

Stephen didn't look as though he took offense though. "Not one the size of my son's, ma'am," he replied cheerfully. "Much like you, I suppose, in regards to your boy." The jab was a dangerous one, and he was brave to want to trifle with Marie.

Marie didn't respond though; she just arched an eyebrow slyly with a touché expression on her face. "Do not address me so informally, Mr Montgomery," was all she said in reply.

Derek chuckled. "Your Grace, you must excuse my father. Ever since my mother passed he's had a horrible habit of speaking his mind without thinking of the consequences, or his audience. She used to be able to rein in his poor behaviour."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Stephen," Bess said sympathetically. "And to you, Derek. Forgive me, how long ago did she pass?"

Stephen managed a small smile. He clearly had loved his wife dearly. "Addison passed on about seven years ago. She was a good woman, and a good mother to Derek. She inspired our business."

"How so? If you don't mind my asking," Nate queried.

"I was actually born right here is your beautiful country," Stephen replied. "A bit further south though, in Surrey."

"I was born in America and now I live in England," Maggie added excitedly. "The opposite!" She was not often permitted to eat in the dining room with the adults, and Rose was impressed with her behaviour. Not once did she complain during dinner, and she did her best to consume three quarters of every course.

"Really?" Derek raised his eyebrows. "I'd noticed your accent was peculiar today, young lady. Where exactly were you born?"

"North Carolina," she replied. "Charlotte, North Carolina. The same as my Momma's name."

It was quite easy to deduce that Maggie was not related to either Nate or Charlotte. Her skin colour alone made that obvious. But their love for each other made it irrelevant.

"A beautiful place," Derek replied. "I've visited several times. I was born in Philadelphia. Have you ever been?"

Maggie shook her head. "Just to Raleigh and Boston."

Rose thought it very sweet that he was talking to her as if she were one of the adults.

"And how does England compare to home?" he continued to ask.

This question intrigued all around the table. Maggie didn't often speak about missing her home. But what if she did?

"England is home," Maggie replied simply. "Is it your home now?"

Derek chuckled. "Ah, no." He shook his head. "I've too many responsibilities back in America to call England home."

Rose noticed that his reserved expression had returned to his face. Perhaps Stephen was putting too much responsibility onto Derek's shoulders. He must undertake all of the financial aspects regarding their hotels. Rose imagined it could be very stressful.

"But we do love it here, don't we, son?" Stephen interjected. "We sail over every few years. I like to visit the house where I was born. My Momma was one of your fine London ladies once upon a time. She'd taken a step down in the world to marry my Pa. After they married and had me, they knew that England could no longer provide for them. They sold everything they owned, boarded a ship and set off for the new world. They settled in Philadelphia and bought a house that had four bedrooms. That was their first hotel and they ran it successfully for the rest of their lives. Addison, Derek's mother, was the one who encouraged my ambition to do more with the Montgomery name. I went to the bank and received a loan and I bought another hotel. I've been doing the same ever since, and here we are." Stephen grinned and settled back in his chair.

"I'd not realised you were British," Emmett remarked. "Well, we must welcome you home then." He raised his wine glass and toasted Stephen.

"Thank you," Stephen replied gratefully. "Derek is responsible for our success though," he continued. "Just as soon as he finished school he got me out of debt with his business smarts."

"I'd like to talk to you more about your ideas, Derek," Emmett said curiously. "You could certainly make this land prosper. Nate, don't you agree?"

"I certainly do," Nate concurred. "If it wouldn't trouble you, perhaps you'd like to peruse my legers?"

Derek nodded. "I'd be happy to. We don't start at Pendleton Park until next week so I am at your disposal."

"In the meantime, I propose we give a ball to welcome you both to Derbyshire," Emmett suggested. "A terribly English tradition but a pleasant one. Plenty of dancing, plenty of lovely young ladies," Emmett hinted.

His not-so-subtle approach to the mention of debutantes allowed Rose to realise that both men were indeed single.

While she wasn't looking forward to being ignored once again in a ballroom, she was looking forward to spending the time with their American guests. She found them interesting and intriguing, Derek in particular.

She would write to her friend, Michael, and invite him to Ascot for the ball. He would dance with her regardless.

"That sounds excellent," Stephen said enthusiastically. "Though I'm afraid I am an awful dancer."

"It's quite simple," Rose added, surprising even herself at her sudden contribution. "All dances are sequenced routines. Once watched a few times one can easily join in."

Stephen smiled widely, making the skin on his face crinkle. "Perhaps you would grant me the honour of a dance then, Lady Rose?"

Rose was a little taken aback. She could see that there was no ulterior motive or romantic interest behind his offer. If there was then she was sure Emmett would have stepped in.

Just as she was about to respond, Marie interjected. "Rose respectfully declines," she said spitefully. What was it about the American guests that irked her so?

"Mama," Charlotte snapped. "Let Rosie answer for herself."

"Rose did answer," Marie retorted. "And mind your tone, I am your mother!"

Rose rolled her eyes, and as she did so, she heard a subtle, light laugh coming from Derek's direction. She looked up to see him trying to hide his amused expression.

"You know, Maggie, it is time you went upstairs to bed. Aunt Rose, would you please take her?"

Rose knew Charlotte was trying to lessen the tension but it only irritated her. She rose from the table, which in turn made the men stand up, and she went to collect a disappointed Maggie from her chair. "Perhaps Rose would like to answer for herself," she whispered under her breath.

She held Maggie's hand as they walked out into the foyer towards the stairs. "Aunt Rose, I did as I was told. I don't want to go to bed yet," protested Maggie.

"It's alright, Maggie, I'm fairly sure all you will be missing is Grandmamma being rude," Rose replied. Marie was being rude. Stephen seemed like a kind, harmless man. She could be more like him, perhaps even smile once in a while. What harm would it do if she danced with Stephen?

"But she's always like that," Maggie retorted. Rose's put out demeanour evaporated as Maggie said that and Rose laughed heartily.

"She is," Rose agreed. She took Maggie up to the third floor which consisted of all the family's staterooms. While guests usually resided on the second floor when at Ascot, Charlotte resided in her previous bedchamber. Maggie's usual bedroom was one that adjoined her parents'. She and Maggie quietly crept inside the bedroom as not to wake her sleeping siblings. Maggie's bed had already been turned down by the maids and her night things were folded up and waiting for her.

Rose unbuttoned Maggie's dress and helped her to step out of it. She then helped her out of her undergarments and into her nightdress. Rose brushed Maggie's hair and then fixed it in a braid for her to wear overnight.

"Will Momma and Daddy come in to say goodnight?" Maggie as Rose as she helped her into bed.

"I'm sure they will when they retire," Rose replied. At that moment, the bedroom door opened and Charlotte crept in, placing a hand on Rose's waist.

"Are you warm enough?" Charlotte asked Maggie. "Shall I ring for a maid to come and build the fire up?" The fire was just embers at that moment.

"I'm fine, Momma," Maggie promised.

"Alright." She smiled and kissed Maggie's forehead. "Sleep well, my darling." Charlotte checked on Edward and Georgie, then took Rose's hand and led her into her and Nate's bedchamber and closed the door behind them so they would not be overheard. Like Maggie's, Charlotte's bed had been turned down as well. "I'm so sorry, Rosie," she apologised sincerely. "Mama was being ridiculous and it was my first instinct to remove you from the situation."

"It's alright," Rose replied, forgiving her. "Mama was being very ridiculous."

"She's sensitive to anyone who does things differently to her. Remember how much she detested Bess when she first arrived?"

Marie and Bess were not friends when Bess and Emmett had married. Bess was the definition of Marie's worst nightmare when it came to having a daughter-in-law. Though Marie had warmed up to her eventually. Rose hoped she would do the same with their guests. She didn't want to have to endure uncomfortable dinners every night.

"We've retired," Charlotte continued. "At least the women have. Mama and Bess have both gone to bed while the men have gone to enjoy a whiskey or two in Emmett's study." She rolled her eyes. She pulled Rose into a tight hug. "I love you, Rosie."

"I love you, too," she replied, hugging her sister tightly. "I'll see you in the morning." They kissed each other on the cheek and Rose departed Charlotte's bedroom.

Rose immediately froze though as she saw Derek standing in the hallway, looking quite lost. Rose placed a hand on her chest in an attempt to calm her heart and catch her breath. "You frightened me," she exclaimed, not meaning to sound accusing.

"I'm sorry," he apologised immediately.

"I'd thought the men had gone to drink whiskey in my brother's study."

"I'm not a drinker," he replied. "I followed them up here without realising that I had no idea where I would be sleeping."

"So you were standing out here because ...?"

Derek looked a little embarrassed. "I heard your voice. You and your sister's. I was hoping that one of you would emerge eventually."

"You could have just rung the bell for a servant," she suggested, gesturing to the rope a little way down the hall. Every room and hallway had a bell.

"I didn't want to be a bother. I'm used to being self-sufficient," he replied.

How Rose identified with those words. She hated to be a bother and a burden. She was afraid of becoming one in the coming years. Spinsters were often financial burdens on their families. Although Ascot would never be in financial strife, she didn't want to be a burden on Emmett. "Come, I'll show you," she offered. "The third floor consists of the private staterooms belonging to the sitting family," she explained. "The second floor is where Ascot houses its guests."

"Right." Derek nodded and he began to follow Rose back towards the staircase. "This is a truly magnificent house. Have you ever thought about making a profit from it? Renting out a wing, for example?" he suggested.

"That is not exactly how things are done here," Rose replied. "Another nasty, British tradition, I'm afraid," she joked, making Derek laugh.

"Understandable," he replied.

"The house is very ostentatious," Rose admitted. "But the sitting duke has resided here for centuries. That's tradition that you don't want to change."

"I do enjoy your history," Derek continued. "I find it fascinating. Much like you."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I find you fascinating, as well." He offered her a small smile.

Rose furrowed her eyebrows. "Why?" The way she said it was not exactly ladylike, but she couldn't help it.

"I admire your patience, Lady Rose," he explained. "You have the inability to hide your thoughts and they show on your face, but you don't voice them. And with such a boisterous family, I find that a fascinating quality."

Rose knew she did not hide her thoughts well. It was how Charlotte knew when Rose was doubting herself. But she'd never seen it as patience before. "Is fascinating good?"

"I have encountered one too many uninteresting women in my time, Lady Rose," Derek elaborated. "Predictable women." He gritted his teeth. "Deceitful women." He took a calming breath. "Yes," he said coolly. "Fascinating is good."

Rose wondered what he meant by that. Just who had he encountered?

They came to the second floor and Rose led him down the hallway towards the bedchamber that Mr Hartley had prepared for Derek.

"Here you are," she announced, stopping at the door belonging to him. "You have a bell in there. Ring it in the morning if your require anything. Breakfast is served at nine o'clock and I apologise in advance for my mother."

Derek smirked. "The Dowager Duchess is amusing. My father enjoys teasing those he can irk."

Rose had noticed. "Goodnight, Mr Montgomery." She smiled at him. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight, Lady Rose," Derek replied. "And thank you. I don't know you well, but can I give you some advice?"

Rose nodded. Derek seemed to be the source of all knowledge, or at least his father thought so.

"Speak up," he urged. "I saw you at dinner when your sister and mother were speaking for you. Speak up."

"They were only doing what they thought was best," Rose said defensively.

"Nevertheless, don't shy away from speaking."

It was obvious that he didn't know Rose that well. All she did was shy away, and she couldn't help it. "Who would listen?" she mumbled to herself.

"I would," he said sincerely.

The fact that he'd heard her had startled her, but his response even more so.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Lady Rose." He bowed his head and disappeared inside his bedchamber. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

474K 22K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...
160K 8.5K 22
At the time of the Great revolt of 1857, Julia's parents make her leave India to go to England and stay with her grandfather. Julia is headstrong and...
14.4K 782 18
What happens when you put two people who don't want to be together in a week-long country house party? Adelaide Kendall has hated Philip Wyndham far...
5.7K 296 25
*A perfect slow burn Regency Romance to delve into.* Growing up on the estates of Kendal Manor was idyllic, but as an adult, Charlotte Mondrook's wor...