Deadly Temptation (Book 3)

By bridgettec_

"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it." - Oscar Wilde (Book 3 of the Deadly installments... More

**PREVIEW**
Prologue
Deadly Temptation (1)
Deadly Temptation (2)
Deadly Temptation (3)
Deadly Temptation (4)
Deadly Temptation (5)
Deadly Temptation (6)
Deadly Temptation (7)
Deadly Temptation (8)
Deadly Temptation (9)
Deadly Temptation (10)
Deadly Temptation (11)
Deadly Temptation (12)
Deadly Temptation (13)
Deadly Temptation (14)
Deadly Temptation (16)
Deadly Temptation (17)
Deadly Temptation (18)
Deadly Temptation (19)
Deadly Temptation (20)
Deadly Temptation (21)
Deadly Temptation (22)
Deadly Temptation (23)
Deadly Temptation (24)
Deadly Temptation (25)
Deadly Temptation (26)
Deadly Temptation (27)
Deadly Temptation (28)
Deadly Temptation (29)
Deadly Temptation (30)
Deadly Temptation (31)
Deadly Temptation (32)
Deadly Temptation (33)
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter

Deadly Temptation (15)

4.5K 103 0
By bridgettec_

Stepping out from the backseat of the black SUV, Keith pushed open the doors of the police department with ease and walked past the young man at the front desk as if he never existed. The first time he came here, the desk clerk sized him up to be some extortionist— Keith didn't deny it. It was easier when people feared him.

Initially, when he came here almost a year ago, he thought he could have just asked a couple of questions and got the answers he needed. The answers he wanted to hear.

Detective Ryder was the only man he thought competent for the job. He was an ex-soldier sent home with honorable discharge based on his injuries. Keith bonded with him and developed a friendship he didn't see coming. It started out as filing a report and then turned into something much bigger— something that kept him up at night and also kept him slightly sane when the anger and rage boiled within him.

Walking to his office, Keith spotted Janessa closing his door and walking towards him. He froze almost immediately; conjuring up words in his head to say to her. Since the accident, he couldn't face her— he felt too responsible. So, instead he sent her dozens of red roses in his absence. It was the same thing he did during her three month coma. Hopefully, he wouldn't ever send her roses in a hospital ever again.

Their eyes met for a brief moment before she froze mid stride. It did funny things to see him again. To have him so close to her in proximity. He couldn't possibly get any more handsome and yet here he was, knocking the breath out of her. Who did she think she was to deny what she felt for him?

She was foolish to banish her attraction towards this powerful man that had the ability to drive her crazy. The ability to break her despite the last conversation they had together.

"Keith," she breathed as a small smile stretched across her lips. "It's good to see you."

None of them moved though, too rooted in their spot to even blink. Her voice soothed his tensed muscles and he didn't even know it.

The door to Marshall's office opened and broke the spell between them; reminding Keith of their surrounding. What was she doing at the police station? In Ryder's office?

"Is everything okay?" Keith asked her.

"Just fine," she said as quickly as she tried to push past him.

"Evans, good to see you." Marshall welcomed his friend into his office and offered him some coffee.

"Any news?"

Marshall slid the file he had in his hand earlier, across the desk where Keith easily picked it up and sifted through it. He flipped through the different pictures and photocopies of IDs and fake passports until he reached the part he waited almost six months to achieve.

"Vegas? You're kidding me, right?"

"You better believe it, my friend. If you want this guy, you better act fast. He doesn't stay in one place for too long."

Keith nodded and processed his situation before another thought came to him.

"Why was Janessa here?" He crossed his legs with his right ankle resting on his left knee.

Marshall sighed and slumped into his chair. He wasn't supposed to discuss this but he understood what that poor girl went through. Not to mention what Keith had gone through knowing he could have done something before shit hit the fan. It was the kind of guilt Marshall Ryder wouldn't ever wish on his worst enemy.

"She's worried," he cautiously said at first. "He's free and she wants me to find him."

Keith's eyebrows raised in shock. Reese was out of that institution?

"How did she know you were into that business?"

"She didn't," Marshall smiled sheepishly. "She's quite something; almost demanded that I help her."

Keith smirked. Of course she would have. It was one of the many reasons he was so attracted to her. Marshall was just a homicide detective when Keith met him. He was struggling on a case when Keith offered him an off the books job. He wanted information on someone—information only the police database would have.

Needing the distraction and the money, he accepted. Once he started digging, Marshall found that he really liked it. It opened up a whole new world for him and it excited him. His only client so far was Keith, since he suggested it. Marshall didn't want everyone knowing that he was now into private investigation. That would be too risky.

When Janessa came into his office and demanded help, he couldn't help but admire the young woman Keith always spoke so highly of.

"Keep me in the loop, will you? And add this to my bill."

Marshall chuckled. "Don't you think you have enough on your plate already?"

"I don't care," he replied calmly. "If this dumbass is back for more, I am so fucking ready for round three."

That glint in his eye, Marshall thought, it was something only men driven by vengeance possessed. He would know— he was one of those men just mere years ago.

"I'll see what I can do,"

________________________________

Janessa sighed with relief when she saw a text from Lily demanding that they go shopping. Half the day had already gone by and she still needed a distraction from the events of this morning. Meeting with Dr. Oliver only made her even more uneasy when it came to Reese. She couldn't understand why he spoke with such care for Reese. He had dozens of patients, Reese should be no different, right?

Those thoughts didn't matter once she pulled up the mall and parked. She spotted Lily by the entrance and rushed over to hug her. It felt like a whole lifetime had passed since she last saw her friend.

"No hug for me?"

It was only then she realized that both Barry and Luke stood behind Lily. A grin spread across her face as she hugged them both. Especially Luke, who squeezed her hand out of comfort. He had told her to call him anytime she wanted. After the almost-attack at the house party, Luke had been texting her to find out if she was okay.

He mentioned that his sister was raped at a frat house party and he felt responsible because he brought her to that party— similarly, he brought Janessa to that house party. It made her feel closer to him in a sense... he provided the big brother role she didn't know she needed. It was as if he was trying to make up for what happened to his sister but Janessa didn't mind. It was nice to have someone to talk to about what happened.

She didn't however, tell him anything about Reese. The less people involved, the better.

"It's so good to see you guys. Where's John?"

"He had a photoshoot."

"Actually, we are waiting on someone." Lily said as she bit her lip.

"Who?"

When none of them answered, Janessa's eyes widened and she shook her head. "No, I can't." Backing away, she stumbled against Luke who held her firm.

"I'm so sorry for ambushing you like this but that's why I brought Barry and Luke! Buffers!"

"Gee, thanks babe." Barry rolled his eyes.

"You know how I feel—"

"I know but this can't go on. You guys have to resolve your issues."

Janessa couldn't dare face Maria again. It was too much added to her already full plate. The last time she saw Maria was at a house party where she spoke the most hurtful things Janessa ever thought could possibly come out of Maria's mouth.

Before Janessa could protest, she saw Maria walking towards them in a red summer dress that complimented her olive skin as her curly hair hung loosely down her back. Janessa had to take a seat on one of the benches nearby as the hurt she felt before surfaced again.

Maria immediately sat beside her; eyes filled with regret and sadness. They remained silent for a while as Lily and the guys offered to get coffee.

"Why?" Janessa managed to choke out.

"Lily told me... about that night at the frat house. I was drunk and stupid," she lowered her head. "You had this whole new life and new friends— I guess I felt cheated, left out... jealous. I was hurt."

"That was never my intention,"

"You were my best friend and I was losing you," Maria held her hands. "I also heard about the other night."

Their eyes met and the fear that flashed through Janessa's eyes only confirmed something for Maria. "It was him?"

A simple nod caused both of them to break down. "I'm so sorry," Maria said while hugging her. "I am so so sorry,"

"I'm sorry for how you felt. I never expected any of this to happen so quickly."

"We have each other now. I missed you so much,"

"I missed you too."

"Oh good! You made up!" Lily joined them in a group hug which made Janessa giggle. It felt good to laugh.

The rest of the day was spent shopping for unnecessary clothing and jewelry that the girls didn't need. The men however, enjoyed watching them change into the different outfits. It was a day well spent.

However, on her way home, Janessa's phone chimed as a new message came in. She looked at the message that popped up on her lock screen and had to jam on her brakes just to read it a second time.

Stop asking questions or I will hurt someone you love.

—Unknown.

___________________________

Oh dear...

xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 259 24
"Give me two hours of your time every day until spring, and if by then you still don't agree to have sex with me... I'll grant you twenty-four hours...
82.4K 5.2K 68
** 3rd book in Rogue series, can be read as stand alone but better if you read the others first*** mature language , triggers and sexual situations...
33.5K 1.3K 39
Not mature for the younger audiences. -------------------------------- I don't like explaining my books because when I do I tend to write everything...
4.1K 14 17
A journey from lust to love, from a friend to friends with benefits, from her boyfriend to my man, from infatuation to deep love. But all this comes...