16,000 miles to run

Від Summerlove827

Two teenagers. Two countries. Two continents. Two friends. One syndrome. One world. One feeling. One hope. Більше

Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten

One

284 8 5
Від Summerlove827

Rebecca’s point of view

          It had been another long day at school. I got home to find my dad pacing in our living room, explaining that he got results from my doctors. I had gone in two weeks prior, requesting an ultrasound after having a lot of stomach pains.

          Later he had told me that the doctors did not see anything there. And by that he meant I had no uterus. I was shocked. It had been about 3:00 pm, on Tuesday the 29th of March, 2011, that my journey started.

          Two long weeks later, I was referred to another doctor; an endocrinologist who worked at the hospital about ten minutes from where I lived. She sent me to get another ultrasound done by a different doctor, just as a second opinion. I didn’t really want to, but if they could give me a different answer than the first ultrasound technician, than I know I would be happy.

          And what do you know; I was right. The second doctor had told me that I did in fact have a uterus, it was just small, approximately the same size as a six year old's. I was quite satisfied to hear the news, though I was desperate to know why it was found so abnormally small.

          Well, one MRI, several blood tests and weeks later, I was told I was probably more than just a “late bloomer.” I had started taking hormone pills, once daily, because the hormone levels in my brain were extremely low.

          I remember being in my endocrinologists’ exam room, and her asking me a simple question; “Can you smell anything?” I didn’t know how my sense of smell or lack of it was relevant to my hormone levels. But I responded no, I can’t smell anything.

          She told me that having no sense of smell (Anosmia) is actually linked to a more serious syndrome. She wrote down two words and told me that it might be what I have. The syndrome was in fact a very rare genetic mutation, called Kallmann’s Syndrome.

          Kallmann’s Syndrome is a very rare genetic disorder, where there is no signal in your brain going from your pituitary gland to produce the hormones you need in order to finish and/or go through puberty. It is more common in boys, being an X related gene that is harmed by the mutation.

          So, that was it. I went to Massachusetts General Hospital, and they gave me a blood test and a ‘smell identification test’ (in which I failed miserably) and told me that all signs point to me having Kallmann’s.

          They took my blood to a lab where they would further take a look at my genes, to see if the mutation is in fact genetic in my case, or if it was sporadic; if it happened for no reason at all. The genetic tests, however, would take about nine months to come back to me with results.

          Well, time went by. I was taking estrogen pills to get my body to go through puberty, and almost a year went by. The entire trauma from learning about my condition affected me in every physical and mental way imaginable. I desperately wanted to meet somebody- anybody -in the world that had K.S. and understood me.

          And on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012, my wish had come true.

          It was another cloudy day here in New Hampshire, USA. I left my laptop at my moms’ house, and I went to use my dads’ computer. I went on-line, and checked my Facebook account. I had one friend request from a boy I didn’t know.

          I checked out his page, and saw that he was living in Tasmania, Australia. Now, of course, I thought it was a little weird that a boy from the other side of the world wanted to be my friend, and I wondered how on earth he knew me.

          I sent him a message:

          “Hey. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude but, who are you?”

          Once I got my laptop back, I saw I received a message back.

           “Hi there, um, I found you on the Kallmann’s Syndrome page. I have K.S. too and it’s so good to know someone else that has it, too. Anosmia sucks, doesn’t it?!”

          And there at that moment, I knew my life would change.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

Cecilia Від Anastasia

Сучасна проза

31.5K 734 27
Cecilia's father, a well-known and successful lawyer, was tired of her problems. Tired of the issues she had been causing for the family and it's nam...
Fighting Society Від storiesxox05

Сучасна проза

180K 6.6K 82
Not many people understood 12 year old Jessica, as a person and an individual. That doesn't include, however, her older sister, who Jessica adores w...
ENNNULLE Від Karthika Nagaraj

Сучасна проза

246K 37.7K 109
Maran and Maya, two independent individuals hate each other out of their family background but destiny has some other plans by bringing them together...
The Runaway Sister Від Eva

Сучасна проза

60.1K 1.4K 40
standalone ~ mafia siblings series "You can't make me stay here! I will get an emancipation." I yell. Flashbacks of the gun in my hand, the almost-de...