Gold Sparks

By maddy_vander

Auden Blair thought Ace Blanwell would be just another classmate. When she sees things she shouldn't have tho... More

A/N
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
A/N
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
A/N
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
A/N
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Two

5 2 2
By maddy_vander

I didn't really know what was running through my mind in that moment. Honestly it was just clouded with different colours: black, blue, grey, green, yellow. Mostly red.

The guards shoved me around every corner, their feet right at my heels, daring me to go slower. Why would I though? If Seth's plan goes well, I could be out of here within the next few hours.

All I had to do was refuse everything they want me to do. It sounded easy enough, but how was I going to react when I saw the pain Seth would be put through? It wasn't even fake pain, but real agony.

Soon we came to the all-too-familiar wooden doors and multiple guards rushed forward to open the door, but their efforts were for nothing. The door swung open and a few guards who were resting on the door stumbled before regaining their balance.

In the doorway stood a man I despised. Hopefully this would be the last time I ever see him.

"Auden! How great to see you, I hope you have been treated well," He put up his hands in a welcoming gesture and had a giant smile plastered onto his face.

I snorted in remorse, "Of course, I love being served your trash from last week," A fake smile covered my face.

His face didn't waver, "Good to know you haven't lost your humour."

A sarcastic glint coated my eyes, "How could I lose it if I've been locked in a room for years with only limited human contact?"

A slight frown tugged at his lips which were hidden behind a small beard that has grown in, "My deepest apologies Miss Auden, but I'm afraid that that was only necessary. You had to get a taste of what the prison life is like. So now you know not to defy my instructions." He turned around and waved for me to follow.

I did, but with a slight hesitation growing in each step. I saw Xena standing right next to the stage, her presence sending a shiver down my shine. How can she just sit back while her brother is abused? The idea is monstrous.

She had no emotion, her eyes seemed dull and face grey. It was now I took the time to actually take in her appearance. Her face was angular, but her cheeks were still rounded. A small pointed nose rested in the center of her face. Her eyes were lined with slick, dark eyeliner, defining her dark eyes. Her hair was pulled back into a sleek, straight ponytail; further complementing her sharp cheekbones. If I had just seen her while walking past her in the street, I would have called her beautiful. 

But I know how she really is, cold and heartless.

Seth says she's just brainwashed. But I don't think brainwash can make you so terrible that you'd allow your own brother to be punished endlessly.

Once I stood on the stage, Ian spoke, "So since you've had lot's of time to think, I'm assuming you've come to a decision on what you want to do?"

My eyes squinted, "I don't have a decision to make, you're going to force me to help you no matter what I want."

He laughed, his lips and teeth hidden behind his facial hair, "On the contrary, you do have a choice. You help me either on your own will, or you're forced, your pick."

"Sounds delightful either way."

"Now that's the spirit!" He sat down in the all too familiar chair, "Now, how about we start your training?"

Just like last time an apple appeared in front of me.

"Lift it."

WIth a deep breath I turned to face Ian, "No."

For a moment it seemed like he didn't hear me, but as fast as that look appeared it disappeared, and was replaced with something a lot more sinister, "Fine, bring out Ace." Out of the door, 'Ace' emerges, six guards pulling him along. Seth played a good act, pretending to struggle against the guards. If I didn't know it was him, I would still believe it was Ace. "Change your mind?"

Seth looked up at me, Ace's grey eyes staring up at me, something in his eyes told me to go forward with the plan, that he could handle it.

"I'm not doing it," My voice quivered.

Ian stood and put his hand into his jacket, "You sure about that?" A shiny glint sparkled from his hand. A sharp knife sat comfortably in his hand, a small engraving on the end.

"Last chance," he placed the end of the knife on Seth's right shoulder, a threatening look in his eye.

Another deep breath, "I won't. I won't train for your benefit. I will stay weak if that means no one gets hurt."

Then he did something I feared most. With a smile he spoke, "Fine." He then pressed the knife into Seth's back, blood bubbling immediately. Seth screamed in agony and threw his head back, the veins popping out of his neck. The knife cut down across his body and rounded at his hip.

I wanted to scream, I wanted to run towards him and throw Ian away, but I couldn't. That wasn't the plan. I had to stand here and watch and Seth slowly bled.

Ian stopped and looked up at me, crimson dripped from the steel of his weapon, "Auden, just look at what you are doing to him. You're the one causing me to do this. You're the one causing Ace this pain. You're the one that's going to result in his death."

Seth shook for a moment, trying to regain his breath. A spot of blood left his mouth when he coughed.

I looked to Xena and saw a small flinch in her posture. Maybe she did care to a small extent, but she didn't care enough to stop the pain that Seth was feeling.

"Nothing?" Ian's voice pulled my attention back to him, "You aren't gonna spare Ace's pain?"

I tried to stand straight and sound calm, "I'm not going to help you."

Bright blue flashed in his eyes, "More fun for me."

Screams pierced my ears as Ian plunged the knife back into Seth's left shoulder, dragging it down across his body again, slowly.

"IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT!" Ian screamed hysterically, "YOU ARE A SELFISH BITCH! YOU COULD STOP THIS BUT YOU AREN'T! YOU'RE SELFISH, A COWARD!" With each word the knife went deeper, more blood pouring from the wound.

I couldn't move. Maybe Ian was right, maybe if I just helped him no one would die, maybe I could save the ones I love, Ian would just rule.

Who am I kidding? That is not an option I should even be considering.

So I didn't stop him, all I did was turn around.

After a few seconds the room was absent of all sound other than Seth's heavy breathing. For a moment I relaxed; if I could hear Seth breathing, that meant he was still alive.

"Auden, you disappointed me."

I didn't turn around.

"Guards, take her back to her own cell."

My breathing hitched. It's not supposed to be my old cell. It's supposed to be the black cell. The beat from my heart pounded in my ears, sounding like a stampede of elephants stomping on all of Seth's plan. I'm going to the wrong cell.

"Ian," Xena spoke with an icy tone for the first time today, "Outside."

I turned around to observe the large glass wall. The shaking I thought was my heart was actually coming from outside. The glass shook as did the floor as a dark fog crept up to the window. The grey seemed to coat the whole area, growing more opaque as it did so.

"Boss what do we do?"

Ian stood mesmerized as he watched it in confusion. After the shock was gone, he shook his head out of his trace and spoke calmly, "Guards, stand watch on the window, cover every entrance and exit and please escort Auden and Ace to their cells."

A guard roughly grabbed my hands and put them behind my back as he pushed me forward. I watched slowly as another few guards grabbed the slumped boy roughly and pulled him up. Their hands didn't bother to pass lightly over his cuts, instead, their fingers dug into the wounds, causing Seth to scream again.

The plan was foiled, maybe I could help him now.

"Stop! You've already hurt him enough, just be gentle!"

One of the guards heard my cries and faced me, a wicked smile was plastered on his face. For a moment I thought he would listen to me, but that small bit of hope was shattered when he dug his fingers into the wound purposely, sending Seth into deeper pain.

"Please stop it! You're going to kill him! Seth!"

The words left my mouth before I could stop them. Everyone froze except for Ian, his body shook with anger.

"She knew."

Seth looked up at me with saddened eyes.

"She knew!" Ian stood in front of me in an instant, his irises completely covered in royal blue intervening ribbons constantly moving. "How did you find out?"

I stayed silent, begging in my head that I could be anywhere but here.

In an instant, Ian was in front of me, the smell of medicine fresh on his lips, "How did you find out?"

"I told her."

The man turned around to face the broken boy, his body shifted back to his real self. Seth's dark skin was still laced in sweat, and the blood and bruises were still present on his body. The guards quickly let go and Seth shrugged off any lingering hand. He limped forward, his back hunched in pain.

"I told her that it was really me."

Ian's face was numb, no expression was recognizable to even the greatest of emotion readers. Suddenly a small vein popped from his forehead and a stammer formed on his lips, "You told her?"

For once it looked like he didn't have it under control, like he didn't know what was going to happen.

How could he? No one did.

___________________________________________

A/N

Quick question, which do you prefer: long chapters (not as frequent) or short chapters (more frequent) or do you like a mix?

*PS   it is my goal to post AT LEAST one chapter a month. August is going to be my 'go hard writing' month since it'll be a little hard to find time to write once school starts up again for me. 

Also, are there any questions you have? About the book. Maybe something I forgot to explain. I won't respond to questions with straightforward answers as I don't want to give things away but I can promise that I will try to get your questions answered within this book

ALSO (again) This book is around 30 000 words so far, and things are just getting started, so hold on tight

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

245 5 14
16 years old Iesha Valorie Yorkshire or Ivy, sees things that are peculiar to a normal persons eye since she was just a little girl. She was often bu...
38.8K 1.9K 49
'One person on their own may be able to save the world. But a team of friends, all working together, have a much greater chance of succeeding...provi...
31.9K 1.2K 35
"There is always something hidden from our eyes. Sometimes, it is just a minor thing, but sometimes, it is a whole new world. " Cassie Stewart was a...
He Was A Ten By jo

Teen Fiction

6.5K 423 29
I don't know why I am the way I am. I just know that it's been this way ever since I was born. Paige Roberts was born with the ability to see numbers...