Fallen Allegiance

By tyrells

[OLD VERSION] [NOT EDITED] Morgana was satisfied living her normal life on Earth, until one night she was pul... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty Seven

15K 247 44
By tyrells

The world seemed to stop. Nothing existed, nothing mattered apart from what had happened behind those metal doors. My ears were ringing, my head spinning and my heart beating at a hundred miles an hour. One question went round and round my head. Was he dead? Was he dead? Was he dead?

Andor's arms were around me, forcing me to stay away from the doors. Stay away from Ryan. It was Andor's fault. He had held me back. He had forced me to stay away from Ryan. He had as good as killed Ryan. He hated Ryan, I bet he was so happy at this moment.

I glanced to my right to see Melissa frozen in a shocked position, Ianthe shaking her, trying to get some response. His eyes drifted over to me and he shook his head, as if he knew what I was thinking. Was he telling me not to go through the doors or that Ryan was alive? I didn't care, I kicked Andor as hard as I could and when he still didn't let me go I screamed, pulling and thrashing about in his grip.

I could hear him talking but I couldn't concentrate enough to understand what he was saying, something about poisonous gas I think. He secured my arms around my waist, pressing me back against him and locking me into a frozen position. I had to get him off me. I had to see if Ryan was alive. He couldn't be dead... He couldn't be.

I screamed again and Andor's grip tightened, his voice rose as he tried to calm me down. Not working. He couldn't go back in time and change what had happened. He couldn't do anything. He couldn't even stop Ryan. He told Ryan what it was. He told Ryan there was no way to get out. He told Ryan we were going to die. He could have killed Ryan. He might  have killed Ryan.

I couldn't look at him, my eyes were glued to the metal doors where beyond Ryan was. Dead? Alive? I didn't know. Injured? In pain? In danger? I didn't know. I didn't know because Andor wouldn't let me go. He wouldn't let me help Ryan.

I kicked Andor again but still his grip didn't loosen. Still I was stuck. I had to surprise him some how. Make him let me go so I could find Ryan. Something was poking my hip and I glanced down to see a lump in my pocket. My stone. I could use my stone against Andor. Steadying my breathing, I summoned fire and carefully began to warm up my skin up. If I could burn him he'd let me go.

I could feel him begin to fidget as my skin turned a pale red. His hands became sweaty against my skin and I summoned the flames as high as they could go, making my skin bright red. Andor yelped, letting me go and backing away from me, his hands a pale red. I turned to glare at him, my skin returning to its normal tanned complexion.

He shook his head, "I give up, if you get poisoned, it's your fault. Don't say I didn't warn you." I ignored his remark and he disappeared into the shadows of the room, probably using some secret passageway to escape.

I ran towards the metal doors, slamming my hands against it in outrage. My fists pounded on the door, willing it to open, willing it to reveal Ryan, standing there smiling at me. Telling me I shouldn't have worried so much, that he was stronger than I thought. But would he be there, or would he be dead on the ground?

The door began to shift, slowly rising from the ground to reveal a mist of dust which spun into my face. To my surprise, a purple veil covered me, protecting me from it. When I stared closely at the mist, I could see tiny flecks of green. Poison. Andor wasn't joking, when the bomb went off it sent poison with it, to kill any remaining survivors. I just hoped Ryan had had the sense to change into a sprite before it had time to have any impact on him

The mist cleared revealing hundreds of bodies scattered among the floor. Dead. My gaze swept across them, trying to find Ryan. Thariel. Thariel. Thariel. Thariel. Thariel. Thariel Thariel. Thariel. A blue shimmer caught my eyes and I gasped, staring at Ryan 's crumpled body. Human body. He hadn't changed into a sprite.

"Ryan!" I screamed, jumping over the Thariel bodies to reach him. I fell to my knees by his side, turning his body over, gasping at the sight before me. His mouth was open and blood was seeping out of it, his lips a pale blue. His face was a ghostly white and when I touched his skin it was ice cold.

"No..." I whispered. "No... You can't be dead. You can't! Ryan! Ryan! Answer me!" Tears snaked down my cheeks and I began to shake violently, clutching as his wrist, trying to find a pulse. None. No pulse. No heart beating, no blood being pumped, no bones moving, no thoughts being processed. Nothing, just stone still. Dead. Ryan was dead and I could do nothing about it.

"Noooo!" I screamed, pulling his body closer to mine and hugging it tightly. Maybe I was imagining. Maybe he was still alive and I had just missed his pulse. Maybe this was all a dream.

We could be back in the fields, pointing at the clouds. He could be telling me those stories, about the dragon, the Phoenix, the other mystical creatures. We could be exploring his cave again, talking about our different worlds. His blue eyes were paling to white, the glow that surrounded him all the time disappearing. I tried to catch the glow, to save it, to save him, but I was too late. Ryan was dead.

Dead. Gone. Not coming back. In another place. Not moving, not thinking, not breathing, not speaking, not laughing, not seeing, not smelling, not feeling, not hearing, not doing anything. Dead.

I remembered the night I met him, at the Rynir ball. The way he tripped me up then went all over the top apologising. When he was on the ground, in pain, dying and I had made Andor save him. Did I regret saving him? If I had left him he wouldn't be here now, but he would have also died at the ball. No, the only thing I regretted was staying silent when he pressed that button.

I could feel a hand on my shoulder. Andor? I hoped not. I hoped he hadn't come back. Not this time, I needed to be alone. Alone to sort out my feelings, sort out my life. The hand began to shake me and I closed my eyes, trying to hold down my nausea stomach.

"Morgana!" The person called out in frustration, continuing to shake me. That wasn't Andor, but the voice was masculine. Ryan? No... Ryan was dead. Unless I has been mistaken. A flicker of hope surged through me and I opened my eyes slowly.

It wasn't Ryan. In all fact, I felt horrified to see his sandy blonde hair and accusing gaze. Ianthe liked to show up at the wrong time, that was for sure. I sent him a glare before tugging my shoulder from his grip.

 "Get lost," I spat at him, though my tears kinda ruined the angry effect I was going for.

"Morgana, you need to get up, more Thariels are coming," Ianthe hissed at me, pulling my arm, urging me to move. I refused, wrapping my arms around Ryan's dead body. Ianthe ran a hand through his hair, "Come on! Morgana, you're going to be killed!"

"Then leave me to die!" I cried, burying my head in Ryan's cold chest.

"Never, I may be harsh with my words but my intentions are good, that's why your mother chose me to be in your group," Ianthe tugged me away from Ryan, his arms locking me away from him like a wall was between us. Just like Andor had done, except this felt different. When Andor had refused to let me go it felt as if he hadn't wanted me to save Ryan, as if he was planning on letting me go but only when the time was right. With Ianthe I could see the pain in his eyes and that he was trying to help. That he too was afraid.

"I'll only slow you down," I chocked out, stating the truth, I had always been a slow runner.

"Then I shall die to protect you, just as I was chosen to do. Every Warrior of Ezalfar, if required, is supposed to lay down their life to protect a Dusarla of royal blood," Ianthe replied stubbornly, pulling me to my feet.

I glanced down at Ryan, his stone still body still lying on the floor in a heap. How could he be dead? How could he be gone? Out of everyone, Ryan was the person I hung on to. He never changed. I could count on him for support. I could count on him to be patient, unlike everyone else. Now he was gone, and he wasn't coming back.

It was worse than I had imagined, accepting his death. Worse than the time Sayer had dragged me away when he was fighting with Jayden and Andor. This time he wouldn't be coming back. No maybe. He was dead. Who made up that word anyway? Dead. Death. Die. Dying. Same thing. They all resulted in someone never coming back. They all resulted in pain.

What was after death? Who knew? Maybe you just kept dying, maybe you turned into some sort of slug or something. I didn't know, I just hoped where ever Ryan was, he knew I was sorry. I was sorry for failing him. I was sorry for letting him die.

Ianthe was tugging my sleeve, willing me to move, but I couldn't. I couldn't shift my gaze from Ryan's body. He didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve to die like this. He was kind, caring, funny, smart, slightly odd at times, confusing, he liked his phrases and riddles, he was observant and creative and... And he was gone. Just like Zane. They were both gone.

Who would die next? Me? Sayer? Dwynwen? Andor? Could I accept that? I just wanted to leave, run to safety. I wasn't born to fight, to be brave. I was a coward and right now all I wanted to do was go home. I was selfish, I didn't care who suffered because of me, I just wanted to get out of here and never come back.

"Morgana! Damn, if you don't move I'm going to bloody carry you!" Ianthe shouted at me, shaking me violently. I blinked, slightly disorientated. What was he on about? I could see more Thairels coming closer and a sick feeling knotted in my stomach. Were we going to die?

I shivered, turning and beginning to run, tripping over a dead body as I did so. Ianthe grabbed me around the waist, pulling to my feet roughly before shoving me in front of him. We sprinted down the hallway, me breathing heavily while Ianthe directed me where to go. We arrived at several doors, one leading downstairs, one into a dining room and one up to the attic.

Ianthe hissed at me to take any door before running backwards to fight. To probably die. We were losing, despite having Andor on our side. I flung open the nearest door and began my descent downwards, listening to the frantic beat of my heart. I had no idea where I was going, just that I had to get away.

I could hear people screaming, the clash of swords, the cries of pain. The stairs seemed to ever end, spiralling down into a deep pit. When I finally reached a door I pulled at the handle, desperately trying to open it. I could hear footsteps pounding down the stairs above me and the candles on the walls began to flicker.  The door finally opened and I slammed it shut behind me, rushing down the eerily lit corridor.

When I stepped forwards the floorboards beneath me creaked, making me freeze each time invade someone had heard them. The door behind me stayed silent, no one was following me, yet.

I fumbled with another door handle, opening it to reveal a weapons room. A dead end. I ran to the next door, flinging it open. A room piled with boxes. A room with a dead end. Always a dead end, no escape. An endless maze of doors, corridors and stairs. Lounge, dead end. Dining room, dead end. Library, dead end. Dead end. Dead end. Dead end. No escape. Where was I meant to run? Where was the exit?

Voices echoed down the corridor behind me and I quickly threw myself into the closest room, shutting the door silently behind me. I crawled behind one of the dusty sofas, coughing as the dirt swept into my mouth, chocking me. I covered my mouth with my hands, hoping who ever was outside wouldn't open the door, wouldn't find me.

Two voices stopped outside the door, a deep masculine one and a high pitched feminine one. They seemed to be arguing about something, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Edging closer to the door, I pressed my ear down by the gap, knowing that if they entered the room, I was dead.

"We're not meant to be here!" hissed the woman, I watched her feet begin to pace.

"The Dusarlas are gaining on us, what choice do we have?" argued the man. The Dusarlas were gaining on the Thariels? Did we have a chance?

"But if one of the Valithors finds out we-"

"They won't. You got the message about Andor, apparently he's not to be trusted. Who knows, maybe he surrendered. If he did, then we'll be dead within seconds."

"I doubt he surrendered, an Valithor never surrenders, it's the reason they are in charge of the Thariels, otherwise you and I both know the Redliches would have overpowered them."

"So maybe we join the Redliches instead."

"And betray the Valithors?"

"Many have been changing sides, everyone knows now there are three teams. The Hunters, the Valithors and the Redliches."

"But the Redliches are weak!" retorted the woman.

"And the Valithors are losing! Unless you think you have a chance with those selfish Hunters."

"The only reason the Valithors are losing is because Andor has fled and Cerdic is missing! You bet Cerdic has a plan though, and we both know he will kill us if we betray him."

"So we fight?"

"No, I fight, you can do whatever you want, I don't care."

"Well then, I'm going to find the Redliches."

"Good luck getting them to understand!" cackled the woman.

I let out a breath I didn't realise I was holding and scrambled up from the ground, listening to their footsteps disappear. Creaking the door open, I checked my surrounding and emerged from the room, continuing down the corridor.

Who were the Redliches? Sayer and Dwynwen had never mentioned them. By the sound of it, they worked for the Valithors. Maybe it history would repeat itself. The Valithors and Hunters used to work together till the Valithors betrayed them, maybe the Redliches and the Valithors were working together now and the Redliches were going to betray them? I didn't know, I was going to ask Sayer when I found him. He was probably still in that room with Dwynwen, oblivious to the rest of the world.

I sighed, continuing on my way. The corridor seemed to go on forever, twists, turns, doors, no windows, no lights apart from the candles. How did Andor cope here? How did he stay sane? I had already had enough, and I had only arrived a few hours ago.

I leant back against the wall, closing my eyes, steadying my breathing. I could do this. I could survive. How can you survive when Ryan didn't? What hope is there for you? What hope has there ever been for you? A voice whispered to me. I shook it away, I could survive, I had to think positively.

The scream pierced though the corridor, echoing off the walls, making me shiver. My eyes snapped open. I knew that scream. I knew the girl who had made that scream. Ariadne. Ariadne was somewhere down this corridor.

I sprinted past the doors, pushing the open and glancing in them for some sign of Ariadne. No. No. No. No. No. Where was she? The scream got louder, meaning I was closer. I could hear her pleading with whoever was there not to kill her.

What if I got there too late? What if she was already dead? What if I couldn't save her? What if she died like Ryan? No, I had to think positive, she'd be fine. I would get there in time, she would be alive, I would save her, she wouldn't die.

I burst through the next door and froze in shock. It was the right room, I had found her... And I had found Cerdic. Ariadne was cowering in the corner, her brown, blood matted hair hiding her face. Her skin was covered in cuts and blood was dripping quickly down her neck. She shifted her gaze to me, her eyes widening in shock. She mouthed 'run' to me, begging me to leave, to save myself.

Cerdic towered over her, oblivious to my presence. In this moment he looked a lot like Andor. His golden eyes had become bright and intense likes Andor's always were. His black hair was tousled and only a fraction of a shade lighter than Andor's. His stance was strong and threatening, he held himself above his victim intimidatingly, the way Andor always did. But he wasn't Andor. Andor wouldn't have been holding a sword to Ariadne's heart, about to pierce it.

Across the room, Jayden had been pinned to the wall by Cerdic's mist. He was thrashing about, struggling to free himself and help Ariadne, no matter how hard he tried, though, he couldn't escape.

Everything seemed to slow down, my eyes turned and became glued on Cerdic. Glued on him bringing down the sword. A scream escaped my lips as I ran at him, as the sword slashed into Ariadne's stomach. She jolted forward with a gasp, but no noise came from her. Instead she rolled over onto her side, breathing heavily as she pulled the sword out of her chest. I began to shout things, words that didn't make sense as I stared at Ariadne's paling body on the ground. She smiled weakly at me, tears running down her cheeks and splashing to the ground.

A roar came from my left as Jayden escaped from the black mist tying him to the wall. He launched into a wolf mid way through his jump and raced towards Cerdic who merely chuckled. With a wave of his hand, the mist grabbed Jayden around the stomach, whipping him across the face and sending him flying across to the other side of the room, hitting the wall and crumbling to the ground. His body shifted back into a humans and I gasped in horror at the long, deep cut which marked his face.

I looked around frantically, trying to find Cerdic, but he had disappeared, leaving me with a dying Ariadne and seriously injured Jayden. I felt all colour drain from my face as I knelt down next to Ariadne. She had her eyes squeezed shut and a pained expression on her face as she clutched her stomach, trying to sop the blood. It wasn't working, the blood was seeping out from the cracks between her fingers.

"A-Ariadne..." I chocked out, pushing back the tears. I had to be strong for her. Her eyes fluttered open and she took a deep breath, opening her mouth to speak. I stopped her, pressing my fingers against her lips, "Don't waste your energy, you'll be fine. We just need to get you out of here." I was telling her lies... I was telling her my hopes. How could she survive this? Ariadne shook her head, knowing there was no hope for her.

"Morgana," she whispered, "Don't blame yourself."

"But I do! If I had come earlier-"

"Cerdic would have known and killed me earlier," Ariadne interrupted. She began to cough up blood which spattered over my already torn and blood stain black t-shirt. I couldn't handle this. First Zane, then Ryan, now Ariadne. Why was life so unfair!

I took her hand and squeezed it, "I'll kill Cerdic for you." It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't all true. I would try kill Cerdic for her, but I would probably die trying.

Ariadne smiled weakly, "If anyone had a chance, it's you. You think differently from everyone else here." I frowned and she continued after a series of coughs, "It's a good thing."

The tears were coming, I could feel the falling from my eyes, down my cheeks, "W-Why...?"

"Fate has its way," Ariadne replied. She began to close her eyes and I panicked, squeezing her hand tighter. She bit her lip and whimpered, "It hurts..."

"I-I know... B-But it'll be gone soon, you'll be free," I whispered.

She gave a small laugh, "That sounds nice... Morgana...?"

"Yes?" my voice was barely audible above Ariadne's heavy breathing.

"T-tell Jayden it's not his fault... Tell him I'm sorry," she breathed out, her eyes fully closed.

"I will..." the tears were falling freely now, uncontrollably. Slowly Ariadne's hand became limp in mine and her chest stopped moving. I grabbed her wrist, trying to find a pulse. There was none. She was dead. I let out a scream and buried my head in her chest, hugging her tightly to me. Why was she gone?

I was too late. I let her die. I did nothing. This time I couldn't blame Andor, this time I could only blame myself. Visions of Ryan's dead body flickered back into my mind, only making me cry harder.

They were both gone, never coming back. Never. Dead. Gone. Not coming back. In another place. Not moving, not thinking, not breathing, not speaking, not laughing, not seeing, not smelling, not feeling, not hearing, not doing anything. Dead. If only I had the power to change time instead of the elements, that would be a hell of a lot more helpful.

Ariadne had always seemed so innocent, so breakable. And now she had been broken. And now she was gone. My hands tightened around her, I had failed once more. If not someone could just come and kill me. That would be the easy way out. I wanted that way out. I gave up. I didn't want to fight anymore. But I had to, I had to avenge Ariadne's death. I had to do something.

I heard a sound of chocking and stiffened. Who was there? Was it Cerdic coming back for me? I slowly raised my head, my vision blurred by my tears. Blinking them away, I watched Jayden wipe the blood from his face, cringing as his hand made contact with the cut. His eyes surveyed the room before landing on me. He frown and slowly looked down at her body. Her dead body.

He didn't move, he just stared, as if he didn't believe what he was seeing. He didn't blink, he didn't breath, he just stared. I longed for him to do something, anything, but I was scared at the same time. Would he blame me for her death?

He rose to his feet, ignoring the blood which continued to fall down his face. His expression was blank, as if he had lost himself, lost all emotion. As if he was dead like her. He slowly made his way over and loomed above us, his eyes locked on Ariadne's face.

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, the tears falling once more. He didn't look at me. He didn't move. Why couldn't he say something? Did he want me to feel bad? Was this his way of saying 'it's your fault'? Was it my fault?

He knelt down and placed his hand on her cheek, brushing her blood stained hair away. I leant back, trying to give him some room, unsure of what to do. It was like he was talking silently to her, words I couldn't hear. I brought my knees to my chest and hugged them, watching Jayden.

He seemed to be lost in his own world, unable to see what was going on around him. I wanted to reach out to him, but I was scared of what his reaction may be. Suddenly, his posture stiffened and he slowly raised his head, locking eye contact.

"Leave," he growled. I frowned, not moving. He rose to his feet, "Get out of here!"

"Why?" I replied. He had no right to commanded me to do something.

"Because you don't belong here," he snarled, "You don't belong in this world."

I rose to my feet, just because he was upset and angry he had no right to blame me. I wouldn't let him blame me. I wouldn't break down.

"I belong here just as much as you do,"I hissed.

He let out a forced laugh, "Is that what they've told you? Well you don't! You can't fight, you can't plan, you get in the way, you cause people to die. You killed her! You killed her!" he began to shout, edging closer and closer towards me. With his cut he looked even more intimidating and I found myself slowly sinking backwards.

"Jayden-"

 "If you had bothered to do something she would be here!" he shouted at me, raising his hand. Immediately I got the impression he was going to hit me, so I scurried backward, tears forming in my eyes once more.

"Jayden, please listen!"

"No, she's gone! She's gone! I have nothing! Nothing! My parents are dead, my sister doesn't know who I am and the only person I've ever loved is dead! I have nothing!" he was gong insane and he was blaming me, just like he had previously blamed Ryan.

Everyone liked to have someone to blame. I blamed Andor. Andor blamed his father. Cerdic blamed my biological mother. My mother blamed Cerdic. Sayer blamed Khadi. Dwynwen blamed Khadi. Khadi blamed Andor. Jayden had blamed Ryan, and now he blamed me.

At least I knew how Khadi and I were similar now, we both blamed Andor, probably for something that was never his fault. But I knew it wasn't his fault, I just didn't want to admit it. Maybe I could be different there, maybe I could forgive... Maybe I could let go. But how did you let go?

I nodded, knowing there was no point arguing with Jayden, I wouldn't win, I couldn't convince him. I walked out the room, the tears falling freely, not like I cared. Not like I cared about much. My old life was so simple. Go to school. Do work. Do chores. Do homework. Make sure people like you. Eat. Sleep. Live. Why couldn't I have that life?

The hallway seemed to go in forever as I passed the doors I had thrown open before. I was lost. I was alone. I gave up, sinking to the floor, hugging my knees to my chest, crying to myself. I was pathetic. I could live here. I couldn't fight. Look at me now, giving up, letting the bad guys win. How was I meant to avenge Ariadne's death? I was weak.

I heard the shuffle of footsteps and froze, not daring to look up invade a Thariel recognised me. Just walk past. just walk past. Please ignore me. I'm not here. I crossed my fingers, hoping they would pretend I was a statue and continue walking. They didn't. Someone was sitting next to me, I could feel the heat from their body as their arm pressed gently against mine.

"Morgana? I... I went back to look for you before but you were gone... I'm sorry I left, I was angry and-" they stopped talking and began to mutter to themselves. I lifted my head, already knowing who was beside me by their voice.

"You were trying to help..." I replied, my voice dull.

 Andor shrugged, banging his head back against the wall, "Ryan, is he...?"

"Dead? Yes, he's dead." My voice was steady and held no emotion.

"I'm sorry..."

"Ariadne's dead as well," I blurted out. Why did I say that? Was I deliberately trying to make him feel bad? What was wrong with me?

He didn't say anything, instead he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to him. I buried my head in his chest, wetting his shirt with my tears. He rubbed my back gently, trying to calm me down.

After a few minutes he let me go, wiping away the tears on my cheeks with his hand. He smiled slightly at me and pulled me to my feet. He nodded for me to follow and began walk down the corridor. That's where Ryan and him differed. Ryan would have asked for my opinion, he would of said something or tried to distract me, he would of held my hand as we walked. Andor was more to the point, he did things his way unless you objected and right now, I was glad he took control.

We began to head up the stairs and I frowned, having no idea where he was leading me. I touched his arm gently, making him glance back questioningly.

"Where are we going?" I asked, standing by his side.

"Your parents-"

"My parents are humans on Earth," I corrected him.

He chuckled, shrugging, "Okay then, the Hunters have arrived, my father headed up there when he heard. So we're heading to the battlefield." I gulped, freezing to the spot. Andor rolled his eyes, "You scared?"

I shook my head, "N-no..."

He smiled, placing his hands on my shoulders, looking down at me, "You'll be fine, Morgana, you can fight."

"Not well!"

"Well enough, you knocked out Fern," he let go of my shoulders, continuing up the stairs. I smiled to myself, I did knock out Fern, maybe I could do this. Wait... I knocked out Fern when Sayer and I were in the forest. Andor had been fighting the Thariels with Ryan and Jayden, how did he know what had happened? I sighed letting the question drop.

Andor seemed to have memorised the castle like the back of his hand, which wasn't surprising seeing as he had lived here his whole life. We continued through corridors, past doors, through doors, up stairs, down stairs until we arrived at two doors marking the end of the corridor.

"Was it left or right..." Andor pondered, trying to decide which way to go.

"How hard is it to find an exit!" I asked incredulously.

Andor chuckled, "It's meant to be nearly impossible, that's the point, so intruders can't get out."

"They've done a bloody good job then, I'm lost," I folded my arms, waiting for Andor to make a decision. In the end he chose right and we continued into a surprisingly bright corridor, due to the fact there were double the amount of candles. Andor stopped by a cupboard, glancing down at his belt.

"Why have we stopped?"

"I need another knife, after Thorn took my last one..." he replied, gently prying open the cupboard. To his shock, a body fell out, falling to the ground by his feet.

My eyes widened in surprise, "Does that usually happen?" Andor shook his head, kneeling down my the body. The girl's face had been slashed multiple times, meaning it was hard to make out who she was. Andor lifted her eyelids up, to reveal bright pink eyes.

Pink eyes. Who else here would have pink eyes? It had to be her. It had to be Cozae lying dead on the floor. Why was everyone dying! Zane, Ryan, Ariadne and now Cozae! Hell, I suspected Sayer and Dwynwen were dead as well! No... I couldn't think like that, I had to think positively. They were fine. They had to be fine.

I chocked back my disgust, "Who did this? Why stick her in a cupboard?"

Andor glanced up at me, "She was alive when they stuck her on that sword. She was alive in that cupboard." I felt like I was about to throw up. In the cupboard was a sword pointing directly outwards, covered in Cozae's blood. They had stuck it through her and left her there to die. That had to be the worst way to die, with no one knowing you were gone.

I covered my mouth with my hand, looking away. I couldn't take much more of this. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Andor dragging Cozae's body back beside the wardrobe, shutting her eyes again.

She was dead. Dead. Gone. Not coming back. In another place. Not moving, not thinking, not breathing, not speaking, not laughing, not seeing, not smelling, not feeling, not hearing, not doing anything. Dead.

We were all dying. How did we ever think we could win this? How did we ever think we could survive? We were all dying. We were all going to be dead by the time this war ended, unless we fled. I could run away. I could escape, save myself. But how would I be able to look at anyone again? Look at Jayden, Sayer, Dwynwen, Ianthe, Melissa or Andor? How could I face them if I ran? No, I had to try.

Andor stood beside me and elbowed me gently, "You okay?"

I modded, "Y-yeah, I'm just a little shocked..." Images of Ryan's dead body flashed back into my head, shortly followed by Ariadne's dead body. Both crumpled on the floor, both stone still. Both dead.

"You'll be fine, don't worry."

"I'm not worried..." I argued. Andor raised a brow, clearly unconvinced. I rolled my eyes, "Where is this battlefield then?" Andor nodded, leading the way once more. I followed at a slower pace, making him wait for me several times, but he didn't seem to mind.

We continued up another set of stairs, through the first door on the right, down the corridor, to the left. The third door on the left, down the stairs, down the corridor, through the door. Down another corridor, through the fourth door on the right, first door on the right, second on the left, fifth on the right, first on the left. Eventually we arrived at a solid oak door. Behind it I could hear the clash of swords, shouts and cries. Behind the door was the war.

Andor looked at me questioningly and I nodded. He slowly pushed the door open, revealing a horrific sight. Dusarlas and Thariels were everywhere, throwing things at one another and screaming. Vines were chocking people, swords were flying everywhere, it was terribly windy and I could even see people being thrown in the air. The grass was on fire, the smell of smoke filled the air. I could see Thariels being burnt to dead, thrown in the air and being plummeted to the ground, being chocked to death and being drowned to death. Dusarlas were being pinned to the ground with knives and weapons, being chocked to death by black mists and being torn apart by black mists.

Everyone was screaming and on the floor lay hundreds of dead bodies no one had bothered to move. People were trampling all over them, not caring who they were killing or what was going on around them.

I felt ice cold, stone still, horrified. I didn't want to fight, I couldn't fight here! To think this had been created by my birth parents made me sick. Why could everyone just get along! Okay, I may have been asking for a bit much there, but oh well.

Andor had disappeared and when I searched through the crowd I found him tackling a Thariel to a ground while fitting another one at the same time. I smiled to myself, watching him argue with someone while fighting.

"Hello there..." a voice whispered in my ear. I jumped, spinning around, grabbing my stone from my pocket. The boy's eyes widened, "Khadi Hunter! What a surprise!" he smiled cruelly at me, showing his yellow, cracked teeth. I screwed up my nose in disgust, had people never heard of toothpaste and toothbrushes here?

He sent a whip of black mist at me and I dodged it easily, zapping him with a flame. He squealed in surprise and I laughed at his high pitched voice. He hissed at me, grabbed his knife and throwing it at me. I gasped, not expecting the attack and having no time to move. Suddenly, a purple shield erupted from my stone, stopping the attack and sending it spinning back towards the boy, stabbing him in the heart. I frowned, how the hell did that happen? I hadn't summoned anything.

I glanced down at my stone to see it glowing purple. Spirit. Spirit had protected me. Spirit was a shield. Maybe Andor was right, I did have a chance. Maybe I could survive.

Something slashed my arm and I cried out in alarm, spinning around to see a girl glaring at me, clutching her black stone tightly. She shot a jet of black mist at me which I quickly blocked with a shield of water, spinning it back into her face, blinding her for a second. It was enough to take her by surprise with my vine and trip her to the ground. I loomed over her, surprisingly enjoying myself. My vine wrapped itself around her neck, chocking her as she tried to claw my eyes out. Soon she went limp. Dead.

I wiped the blood off my arm and turned to see two Thariels advancing on me. Smiling weakly, I sent them flying backwards with a gust of wind and turned to run in the other direction. Something grabbed my arm and I let out a shout, only to see Andor laughing at me.

"You frighten easily," he chuckled.

I glared at him, "I know, you say so often."

He shrugged, pulling me with him as we made our way through the mass of fighting people. Somebody lunged at us and I quickly shot a flame at them, making them cringe and clutch their face in pain.

"Nice shot," Andor commented, making me blush.

Several Thariels began to corner us and Andor shot jets of lack mists at them. They continued to advance towards us. I summoned earth and vines shot up from the ground, clasping the Thariels feet, making them struggle. But there were too many surrounding us, we could block them all. I pressed my back back against Andor. He seemed to be struggling as well, fighting six off at once.

An idea suddenly came to my head and within a second, I summon fire, making it spin in a circle around us, blocking the Thariels. Andor gave an alarmed shout, edging towards the fire. He glanced at me and I smiled weakly. The fire rose higher and higher and I could hear the screams of Thariels on the other side being burnt.

"Come on," I pulled Andor's hand. A small gap opened in the fire circle and we edged out of it, the Thariels oblivious to our escape, they just continued to try and get through the flames.

There was some shouting to our left and fighting seemed to have ceased. With a frown, Andor headed that way, pushing through the crowd. I followed quickly, trying to keep up. People around us were shouting, brandishing their swords in the air. Andor seemed to have frozen in front of me.

"What? Andor? What's going on?" I inquired, struggling to get through the crowds. He grabbed my hand and pulled me next to him.

I frowned, glancing over to where everyone else was staring. Two men were fighting intently, one whipping the most deadly black mist I had ever seen while the other blocked the attacks with jets of water. One of the men had hard blue eyes, short brown hair and a small scar running down his cheek. I would recognised that man anywhere. My father. The other man was Cerdic.

They both looked serious about the battle, both looked as though they were in it for the kill. All I knew was at the end of this, either Andor or I wouldn't have a father. Thou I technically counted my human father to be my real father, I knew I wasn't going to see him again, so Stephen was the only father left for me now.

The black mist slashed down upon him and he dodged it easily, running behind Cerdic and sending a hurricane of water towards him. Cerdic disappeared within the mist of the water and next to me I felt Andor stiffen. Hope surged through me but soon enough, Cerdic emerged once more from the water, making the Thariels in the audience shout encouragement, not like Cerdic needed any.

The two men continued fighting, dodging each other, slashing at each other, blocking each other and laughing at each other. They were fighting quickly, desperate to beat the other, but both were tiring , Stephen was panting slightly while Cerdic had a thin line of sweat on his forehead. How long they had been fighting I didn't know, all I knew was the battle would end soon.

Sure enough, a whip of black mist struck Stephen in the heart, sending him flying backwards, his stone flying out of his grip. He collapsed onto the floor, his blue eyes staring up at the sky, his chest still. Cerdic slowly walked towards Stephen, kneeling down and checking for a pulse. Was he alive? Was here a chance Stephen could still win? As if to answer my question, Cerdic looked up, an evil smile etched on his face.

Dead. My father was dead. I didn't know what to feel. Everyone was dying on me today. Zane, Ryan, Ariadne, Cozae and now my father. Dead. Gone. Not coming back. In another place. Not moving, not thinking, not breathing, not speaking, not laughing, not seeing, not smelling, not feeling, not hearing, not doing anything. Dead.

There had to be something beyond death. I hoped there was, I hope it was someone they deserved, something good, something interesting. Something that could fix them... Who was an kidding? If anyone needed fixing it was me. I was weak, I was breaking, I was stuck in past. I needed someone to tell me it would be okay, someone to give me hope... Someone who wouldn't die on me. I needed someone to try to fix me. Not fix the dead, they were free, fix me and my stupid mind. Why couldn't I be strong? Why couldn't I do something right?

My gaze locked on my mother, Elisha. I could see her pained expression. A scream left her lips as she stared down at her husband's dead body. The pain she had to be feeling, I couldn't imagine. We had lost. Every Dusarla had their head down, a sign they had given up. Cerdic had won. All this for nothing. All those deaths for nothing. Nothing.

"Morgana!" Andor shook my violently, "Morgana, don't blank out on me! Please!" I blinked twice, frowning at him.

"Andor...?" I whispered, trying to make sense of what was going on. He signed in relief, grabbing my hand and pulling me away from my dead father. "No!" I struggled against him, he didn't understand! He hadn't lost everyone! They hadn't died on him!

"Morgana, please," he hissed, "Don't draw attention to yourself."

I shook my head, "No!" He quickly shut me up, placing his hand over my mouth. His face was inches from mine, his intense gold eyes staring into my blue ones.

"Trust me," he whispered. I bit my lip, unsure what to do. "Trust me." He repeated himself. Did I trust him? He was an Valithor. His father has just killed my father. He was the enemy. No. He was my friend, he had saved my life too many times to count. He was trying to be good. He wasn't his father. He wasn't that type of Valithor. He was my Valithor and I did trust him.

I nodded, letting him lead me through the crowd. Could this get any worse? Yes, actually, it could. If I lost Andor. Then it would be worse. I relied on him more than I thought I did. He led me back towards the castle, pulling me behind onto of the castle pillars, hiding us from view. If I craned my head I could still see what was going on, so we weren't too cut off from the rest of world.

"I'm sorry for my fathers actions..."

"They aren't your fault, don't be sorry," I replied. "Why did you drag me here? Why are we hiding?"

"Because you're in danger," Andor stared at me, his expression solemn.

"I was already in danger, I've been in danger the whole time. I want to help my mother," I argued. I made my way to go back around the pillar when Andor stopped me.

"My father is now targeting Elisha and you. You're the last Hunters," Andor explained.

I shook his hand off my arm, "So I'm meant to watch my mother die as well?"

"No!" Andor exclaimed.

"Then let me go help her!"

"No!"

"Why?"

"Because I-" Andor stopped himself before he continued.

"You what? So this is about you?" I hissed at him.

"No!"

"You said it was!"

"No!"

"Stop lying!"

 "I'm not!"

"You are! You know, you do have some of your father's traits, like it's all about you. This isn't about you, Andor. This is my decision and I'm not going to watch my mother die."

"Morgana! I won't let you get yourself killed!" he pinned me to the pillar, refusing to let me go.

"You can't control me! Just tell me the truth!"

"No!"

"Why do you care? Just let me go!"

"No!"

"Andor! Stop it!"

"No!"

"Stop saying no and bloody give me some answers!"

"No!"

I went limp in his grip, giving up with the argument. It seemed he was only capable of one word. No. Why couldn't he just explain himself for once!

A scream echoed from the battlefield and I glared at Andor. He sighed, letting me look around the pillar at what was going on, his arms still securely around me, invade I tried to run back.

Whatever sick joke I thought Cerdic could play, this was the worse by far. Yes, he'd won, now could he just take his victory and leave? No. Cerdic didn't do that. What did he do? He executed his victims one by one, showing off his power.

I watched him grab the first girl, pulling her by her hair. She screamed, thrashing about, but no one ran to her rescue. Slowly, Cerdic ran his sword over her neck then he dropped her to the floor, watching her die in amusement.

Sick joke. Sick man. Sick life. Who would do this for fun?

He pulled forward the next Dusarla, this time quickly chopping off the boy's head. It went on and on. Dusarlas being pulled forward and executed. Again and again.

"This is disgusting..." I muttered.

"This is my father," Andor retorted, "This is my life."

"I'm sorry..."

"I'm used to it, don't worry, his usual kills are a lot messier, I'm surprised by his... Kindness today."

Kindness? Andor called this kindness? He had to be mad. No one in their right mind would call this anywhere near kind, but I guess for Cerdic this was as good as it got. How Andor coped his whole life I had no idea, I was already freaking out.

More people were pushed forward, a line forming, made by the Thariels. They seemed to be enjoying every kill, clapping their hands, shouting with glee, laughing, even offering their own ways for each Dusarla to be murdered.

Some were cut, some were wrapped apart, some were chocked. A young boy stepped up and I heard a women scream, running out from the crowd. Cerdic killed the women quickly, before she even got near him before killing the boy. So that was what happened if you objected... You died quicker. I still didn't get why they didn't all object!

"Andor," I called him. He didn't acknowledge me. "Andor!"

"Huh?" he asked, startled, "Yeah?"

"Why aren't they doing anything?" I inquired.

"Because they can't, the Thariels have taken their stones, they have nothing to fight with. Plus, most are probably hoping my father will get bored and release them."

"Will he?"

 "It's doubtful, but possible."

 More Dusarlas were dragged forward to be killed. Chocked, necks chopped off, slashed. Screams of pain, screams of horror, screams of laughter as the Thariels watched in amusement.

I shook my head, "I can't watch this!"

Andor's grip on me tightened. "Yes, you can." I didn't bother to argue, knowing he would probably only answer 'No' like he did before.

One by one they were killed. Cerdic didn’t stop and when another Dusarla protested, the Thariel holding them slit their throat quickly. A pile of bodies was forming on the ground, five, ten, twenty, thirty, fifty. More and more and more. How many had to die to please him?

A girl with bright red hair was shoved forward, falling at Cerdic’s feet. Even without seeing her face I knew who it was. Her small body trembled slightly, her hands were in fists, obviously trying to keep herself calm. She tried to stay strong, even though she knew what was coming. Her head turned slightly and I saw her face, confirming my thoughts.

I felt myself breaking again, like I had so many times that day. She couldn’t die! She couldn’t leave me as well. Zane, Ryan, Ariadne, Cozae, Stephen. No, they couldn’t take Dwynwen as well. I wouldn’t let them. I’d do something this time.

I struggled in Andor’s grip, but he was too strong. Tears leaked from my eyes, why wouldn’t he let me help her! I stood on his foot hard, but he didn’t even cough. This was my choice. It was my choice whether I fought or not, not his.

“Let me go.” I growled at him through gritted teeth.

“And what are you going to do?” He asked, “Run out there and be murdered by those hundreds of Thariels waiting for some action?” He was right. What could I do? Nothing. I was useless, helpless, stupid, weak, too caught up in what I wanted to do to think of the consequences.

But what did it matter if I died? So many had died on me, would my life make a difference? I had a sister, apparently, she could become Warrior of Ezalfar instead of me, couldn’t she? I didn’t need to stay alive, I just wanted to die doing something. I couldn’t let them kill Dwynwen, like they killed Zane, Ryan, Ariadne, Cozae and Stephen. No, Andor couldn’t stop me this time.

I raised my foot to kick him when a scream caught my attention. Dwynwen was shaking her head, tears rolling down her cheeks as she screamed. A boy was running towards her. Sayer. He had fought off the Thariel holding him and was now running towards Cerdic, trying to save Dwynwen.

Cerdic didn’t look the least bit flustered, in fact, he looked amused by Sayer’s anger. Why? Why wasn’t he angry? Why wasn’t he worried? Because Sayer didn’t stand a chance.

As the words echoed in my head I watched a Thariel lunge on top of him. The sun glinted off the sword in the Thariel’s hand and I watched it slowly go down until it pierced through Sayer’s chest. He fell to the ground, clutching his chest, his gaze still locked on Dwynwen.

No, this couldn’t be happening. No, he couldn’t be dying on me as well. Dwynwen’s expression seemed to be frozen in shock. She didn’t seem to be able to make sense of what had happened, instead staring at Sayer’s crumpled body on the ground. Her lips formed his name and he collapsed completely, blood running from his chest into the ground.

Screams of victory sounded from the Thariels and the one who had stabbed Sayer kicked him in the chest, spitting on him before marching over to his friends. Dwynwen didn’t blink, she didn’t move; instead she stared. She stared, completely oblivious to the sword Cerdic had raised above her, about to bring down. She would die the same way as Sayer.

No. I couldn’t lose everyone. I wouldn’t lose everyone. I would fight.

My hands began to glow purple and I spun in Andor’s grip, hurtling a gust of wind at him, throwing him off me back against the castle. His eyes widened in surprise and he quickly scrambled to his feet, trying to stop me. But it was too late. I was off. Running towards Dwynwen. Running towards Cerdic. Running towards hundreds of armed Thariels. Running towards my death.

The odds of what would happen? Not in my favour. Was I afraid? To be honest, I could barely understand what I was doing. A plan? No, just the hope that I might be able to save someone. Death? Most likely.

Heads turned towards me as I ran, murmurs of surprise, laughs from Thariels and a look of horror from Dwynwen, who had finally realised what was going on. She screamed at me to go back, but I was only focused on one thing, the sword Cerdic was holding above her.

I could feel my heart pick up pace, my stone in my grip began to burn my skin, but I ignored it, instead taking in it’s power, ready to use it. My skin heated up and I could see a faint purple glow appearing. Spirit. Something I had that no one else knew about. That no one else could do. Something I could use against Cerdic.

He locked his gold eyes on me, a smirk appearing on his face. As much as he looked like Andor at that moment, I could see a difference. His eyes glowed with pride and arrogance while Andor’s glowed with determination and amusement. His smirk made him even more intimidating and was a sign of his power, a way to strike fear into his opponents hearts. Andor’s smirk was the way he teased people, he didn’t mean it threateningly like his father. They were different and finally I could see that. Looks they shared, but Andor was the only one with a heart.

Thariels were shouting and as one threw a knife at me I panicked, unsure what to do. To my surprise, and everyone else’s for that matter, a purple mist shot out from no where and hit the knife, reflecting back at the Thariel who had thrown it. It struck him in the heart and he fell to his knees.

People gasped, whispering to one another, trying to explain what the hell I had just done. As if even I knew. Whatever the hell it was, I was thankful. Cerdic’s expression hardened and he shoved Dwynwen out of the way, walking around her towards me.

A Thariel made his way to strike me but Cerdic waved him off. I stopped running, my feet frozen in place. What was going on? Why had Cerdic stopped the Thariel? My gaze flickered to Sayer who was still in pain on the ground, alive. He shook his head slightly before going into a coughing fit, exactly like the one Ariadne had gone into. He was dying.

Dwynwen crawled towards him, wrapping her arms around him, biting her lip. She gazed up at me, frowning, as if saying ‘if we can’t do anything, what can you do?’. Maybe she was right. But I knew if I hadn’t of intervened she would be dead right now.

I looked back at Cerdic who had his stone levitating in the air. He smiled cruelly at me and stepped forward, closer. Movement from the crowd behind him made me squint, but soon I could make out another pair of intense gold eyes staring at me.

Andor smiled weakly and mouthed something. I frowned. He mouthed it again. Reflector. What was he talking about? What reflector? He mouthed it a third time, holding up his stone. My stone was a reflector? No… Spirit was a reflector. Finally I knew what I had to do. I could win. I could do this. There was hope for me.

Cerdic suddenly raised his hand and a torrent of darkness erupted from the ground, racing towards me. I held in the scream that was bursting inside of me and quickly dodged it. I needed for him to attack me from his hand, not from the ground, otherwise my reflector wouldn’t work.

Okay, I couldn’t sit around and let him attack me. I raised my right hand, my purple stone radiating white light. My breathing steadied as I focused on him. I could do this. The purple ball began to form in my hand as Cerdic shot another ball of black mist at me. I ducked and as the mist grazed my back I let my spirit ball go. I shot towards him and hit him in the chest, sending him flying backwards.

There was a scream of outrage from behind me and I spun to see a Thariel storming towards me. Within a second I had summoned fire and was watching him burn on the spot. No one else dared move and I slowly craned my head back to see Cerdic walking slowly towards me, darkness rippling off him.

I dodged his next attack but he continued to shoot at me. Mist after mist after mist. He knew I was tiring, he knew I didn’t have the skill he had. All I had was spirit. All of a sudden he hit me and I gasped as the mist wrapped itself around my neck, chocking me. I refused to give in, clutching my stone tightly.

He chuckled, “You Hunters were always so predictable.” You Hunters. But I wasn’t a proper Hunter. I had grown up a Halter. I had grown up a human. He expected a warrior, well, I was going to give him something else. A warrior would fight, so I was going to hide.

I took a deep breath and my skin suddenly glowed a bright purple. I fought off the mist chocking me around the neck and wrapped me inside a bubble. Cerdic frowned in confusion and began to shoot at me again but it did no good. The spirit absorbed his mist; it didn’t even harm my shield. He began to cuss under his breath, his attacks getting stronger and stronger.

My gaze found Andor’s and he stared straight back. What would he do if I killed his father? Would he hate me? Would he care? He shrugged, as if knowing my question. Do it he mouthed. He wanted me to kill his father? Was he crazy? Kill him he mouthed, now.

Cerdic continued to shoot at me, over and over again, as if one time he wouldn’t miss. I narrowed my gaze and quickly removed my shield, just as he shot another ball of mist. I raised my hands to cover my face as I realised I had removed my shield too quickly. I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the mist to slam into me. I waited, continued to wait. My hands began to feel warm, but nothing hit me.

I slowly opened my eyes to see a ball of black mist in my hands. My eyes widened in shock and as I looked up to Andor, he seemed pretty surprised as well. Cerdic, on the other hand, was horrified.

In outrage, he shot another ball at me that I caught as easily as the last. The ball of black mist grew and grew as he continued to unleash his anger. He didn’t give up, did he? His anger made him stupid. Did he not realise he wasn’t harming me at all?

I threw the mist back at him and he was thrown back into the air. He landed on the crowd in a heap but quickly jumped back to his feet. In his hands a giant ball was forming. Larger, larger, larger. I readied myself for his attack, unsure what to do. As he released it I gasped in horror as the torrent of black mist spun towards me.

What could I do? There was no time to dodge it. I couldn’t shield myself from it. I couldn’t catch it. He had won, but I was going to die fighting. I summoned spirit and just as it was about to hit me, unleashed a shield of spirit around my body. The mist hit me, curving around my body, but not causing any pain. All of a sudden, it sprung back into a ball and raced back towards Cerdic.

He stumbled backwards in surprise but it was too late, the ball of black mist hit him, sending him over the crowd’s head. There were gasps of surprise, screams of terror, cries of hopes. I watched Cerdic’s body disappear behind the crowd and soon they were all rushing towards him. All but one.

I watched as Andor walked the other way, back towards the castle, hands in his pockets. He disappeared into the shadows and as I took a step to follow him someone pounced on me.

I screamed in alarm and turned around to fight off who ever it was. Instead, Melissa was there, smiling at me and shaking me.

“He’s dead! You killed him! Bloody hell, Morgana, I didn’t know you had it in you!” she shouted, hugging me tightly, still bouncing up and down. She let me go and I put my arms out to steady myself.

“H-he’s dead? Cerdic’s d-dead?” I asked, stuttering.

Ianthe came up behind Melissa, nodding, “I can’t believe it myself, who thought someone like you could kill him?” Even at a time like this, he still found a way to offend me. Idiot.

Everyone was running back and forth. Thariels were frozen in place as Dusarlas captured them, people were screaming, shouting and crying. Dwynwen was still on the ground holding Sayer who, amazing enough, was still alive somehow. It was doubtful he could heal from the stabbing though.

The fighting erupted once more around me and I clutched my head, trying to get out the screams echoing everywhere. I had to get away from here. I had done my part. Ianthe had begun talking again while he battled off a Thariel, but I couldn’t concentrate on anything he said.

I began to run again, this time away from the fighting, away from everyone; to somewhere secluded where I could think. Where I could figure out what the hell had just happened. People turned to watch me as I ran, most giving me terrified glances, as if I would casually stroll up at any moment and kill them, but no one approached me, thankfully. I found a place behind the Thariel castle where no one was around and I sunk to my knees, leaning back against the wall. I steadied my breathing and shut my eyes, listening to the sound of the wind around me.

It was over. We had won. We had won because of me. I smiled, finally content with today, finally content with myself. I was safe, for once and no one was going to come up and kill me. At least, that was what I thought.

Footsteps began to creep towards me and I felt myself being tugged up. I open my eyes to see a ballistic Thorn looming over me. My heart skipped a beat. I did not want to be here. She snatched my stone from my grip. My only weapon. My only chance of survival. I gulped, shuffling backwards until I hit the wall. She smiled cruelly and slowly walked towards me.

“Hello, Morgana,” she sneered at me. “How are you? Did you have fun killing my father? I hope so. I hope it pleased you.”

I bit my lip, refusing to reply. What could I say? I’m sorry I killed your father, please don’t kill me? No, that would be stupid. I would just stay silent and hope I could get my stone back.

Thorn rolled her eyes, “No speaking, are we? Well, you’re definitely different to Khadi. She would have given me a piece of her mind. Actually, I hate you more than Khadi. You’re annoying. At least Khadi understood why I do what I do, you, on the other hand, you don’t belong here.”

I remained silent, staring at her, my expression masked. She pulled out a knife from her belt and pointed it at me, laughing as if she had told a joke while doing it. She was going crazy.

“I’m going to kill you, Hunter. I’m going to avenge my father’s death. I’m going to kill you slowly, painfully, I’m going to watch the life drain from your eyes,” she hissed at me, the blade coming ever closer, “What do you think of that, Hunter? Do answer me, I want to hear your opinion.”

Remain calm. Remain calm. I kept telling myself. I could get out of this. There was no way I could get my stone back, therefore I couldn’t fight. The other option? Run. Run as fast as I possibly could. So that was what I did.

Taking Thorn by surprise, I dashed to the right, sprinting past the towers of the castle. I quickly ran into the first door I could find, listening to Thorn’s thundering footsteps behind me. My breathing was becoming slower, my heart racing. My chest tightened and I clutched it, wincing in pain. I couldn’t run much longer.

I continued down the hallways, flinging open doors, one after another. To my surprise, I opened one leading into a courtyard. I continued running and to my horror, tripped over a root of a tree, making me fall flat onto my stomach.

Thorn caught up with me easily, grabbing my top and pulling me to my feet. I let out a startled gasp as she pressed the blade into my back, the knife cutting slowly through the thin fabric of my top.

“Too bad there’s no one here to save you,” Thorn let out a cackle, “Too bad you have no weapon. Too bad you’re weak and helpless. Too bad you’re going to die.”

I struggled in her grip, trying to find something around me that I could use for a weapon. She had my stone clutched tightly in her left hand and I knew there was no point me trying to get it. If I made one movement to grab it, she’d probably stick the knife through my heart.

I went limp, my breathing slow and steady, waiting for the pain to begin. Thorn didn’t move, her hand tightly gripped on my shoulder while the other pointed the blade at me. What was she waiting for? Why not kill me now?

Something caught my eye from in the bushes and I shook my head, squinting, trying to see what was there. Nothing. Just a figment of my imagination. I was going crazy.

Thorn moved me suddenly, the blade slashing across my right arm leaving a deep cut. I winced and she threw me back against one of the trees, tying me there with her black mist. It dug into my skin, making me want to scream, but I held it in. I didn’t want to show my weakness. Thorn pointed the blade at my neck and slowly ran it under, cutting me gently. It stung slightly, but not enough to make blood pour from it.

“So tell me, Morgana, what is Earth like?” Thorn inquired, her gold eyes piercing into mine.

“I don’t know what you’re on about,” I replied, masking my expression.

Thorn rolled her eyes, “Earth. The human planet? Your real home? Ring any bells?”

“Actually, I can’t hear any bells, you must be going insane, maybe a hearing aid would help,” I had to keep her talking. Maybe I could slip out of the black mist and make another run for it, this time back to the battlefield and the other Dusarlas. Why had I even left in the first place?

“Hmmm, you’re annoying, a lot,” Thorn spat at me. She raised her right hand and slashed it down over my face. I scream in pain as the blade cut through my skin and the warm blood began to flow down my face. It stung painfully, making me want to cry, but I held back the tears, biting my lip

Thorn raised the knife to cut me again when something stopped her. Movement from the bushes. She spun around, her attention finally off me. I struggled out of the black ropes tying me against the tree and brought a hand up to my face. Blood seeped through the cracks in my fingers and I stared down at it in horror.

Thorn glanced back at me, noticing I had escaped. She grabbed me and pulled me backwards, the knife pressed up against my neck.

“Show yourself!” she cried. I frowned, who was she talking to? “Show yourself or she dies!”

There was more movement from the bushes and finally Andor stepped out, holding a bow and arrow. He stared straight at me before moving his gaze to Thorn. I felt her body tense behind me.

“What do you want?” she hissed at him.

Andor shrugged, “I was just taking a walk… What are you doing?”

“Getting revenge for our father,” she paused for a moment before continuing, “Where were you when he died?”

“Watching.”

“And you have nothing to say to that?”

“Nothing that you’d like.”

Thorn growled at him, pressing the knife harder against my neck, making me whimper. Andor’s grip tightened on the bow and arrow and he slowly stepped forward. Thorn dragged me backwards away from him quickly.

“Just let her go,” Andor said softly, “Thorn, let her go. Come on, we need to get out of here before the Dusarlas find us.”

“Why? Why do you care?” Thorn chocked out, “You betrayed us!”

“I did what I thought was right!”

“Liar!”

Andor went silent, staring blankly at Thorn. She didn’t move. My gaze flickered down to the knife at my throat, she could kill me at any moment if she wanted to. Blood was still running down my face, soaking the blade in it.

“What will you do now that father’s dead? I doubt we’ll get anything from the Thariels, they’ll all turn to the Redliches. We look like bloody clowns!” Thorn shouted, her voice cracking.

 “Maybe we can do something good for once!” Andor retorted.

“We’re Thariels!

Andor looked away for a moment before his gaze flickered to me, “That’s only what we are, not who we are.”

“Our family name is ruined-"

“And can be fixed.”

“Why? Why Andor? We had everything! Father gave us everything!”

“No, father gave you everything. Not me. You.”

“You would have gotten the kingdom! You know you would have inherited it!”

“I don’t want Tharielon! I want a life!”

The two lapsed into silence, staring at each other. Thorn’s grip tightened on me, the blade pressing against my skin. I gulped, my hands clutched into fists, knowing that if I moved, the blade would cut through my neck.

“I will kill her. She killed father. You can’t stop me, Andor,” Thorn hissed at him.

Andor loaded his bow with an arrow and pointed it at Thorn, “Release her, or I’ll shoot.”

“You would shoot your own sister? Your own twin? You would kill me?” Thorn inquired, I could feel her shaking slightly.

“Release her,” Andor repeated himself, “Do not play games with me, Thorn.”

“Kill me if you must, but the girl dies with me,” Thorn let out a cackle and the knife dug into my neck. I screamed, thrashing in her grip but her black mist quickly tied my hands together. “Make your pick, brother. Her, or me.”

My gaze locked on him and he stared at Thorn in horror. I could feel the blade getting deeper and deeper into my neck. Andor’s arrow kept switching from me to Thorn and back again. He seemed to be having an argument with himself in his head.

If anything, he should have saved Thorn. He had known Thorn longer, he grew up with Thorn, he was related to Thorn and Thorn was the only one who could understand how he felt. I could only try to understand. I was on the opposing side to him. I killed his father. I had wrecked his life. He had no reason to save me.

Andor squeezed his eyes shut, his arrow pointed at the sky. Thorn and I waited, staring at him, both hoping he wouldn’t turn against us. He slowly opened his eyes and brought the arrow down so it was pointed at my heart.

I stopped breathing, my eyes locked on his. He was going to kill me. That was how it was meant to be. Me against him. We were on opposing teams. This was what he was supposed to do. Still the knowledge hurt me, it made me want to scream at him, but I didn’t, I kept silent.

He drew back the bow once more, ready to fire and stared straight at me. I gulped, turning my head to the side, ignoring the blade scraping against my skin. The sound of the bow pinging made me squeeze my eyes shut. He had let go of the arrow.

I waited for the impact, for the pain, but nothing came. Instead, the blade disappeared from my throat, the mist released my hands and the stiff posture of someone behind me edged backwards. I slowly opened my eyes and turned around.

Thorn expression was shocked, her hands wrapped around something sticking out of her chest. An arrow. I gasped, covering my mouth with my hands.

I glanced around, trying to find Andor. When I saw him, he smiled weakly at me, before turning around and running into the shadows. Leaving his dying sister with me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 307 37
P'nia. A beautiful spiral of islands, in between Pyrrhia and Pantala (somewhere). The wonderful islands seem like a paradise utopia. What could be wr...
53.4K 1.1K 19
Morgana needs a way to kill Merlin and she finds a way-she makes him play a little game. Yet, this game turns out to be more deadly than either of th...
107 5 12
I stare, waiting for Ņ‰fŅ‰Ņ‰aŅ‰Ņ‰BŅ‰Ņ‰rŅ‰Ņ‰eŅ‰Ņ‰eŅ‰Ņ‰zŅ‰Ņ‰eŅ‰ move. She flashes her perfect, light pink eyes at me & whisper something; i think it's " i'm sorry.." W...
517 20 11
Morgana was found next to a tree when she was a child, taken in by her mother and father. Her father was a soldier, until the wars ended, at which ti...