ArcKnight (The ArcKnight Chro...

By AlexiaPurdy

Book 1 of The ArcKnight Chronicles. Book 2 Sovereignty is Now Available! In the treacherous City of Temple... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Bonus Scene

Chapter Twenty-eight

179 16 0
By AlexiaPurdy

Ephrem

We searched the entire perimeter of the city, but the day had yielded nothing at all. The fog had made no appearance. I was sure it would come out later when it was dark, so I sent most everyone home to rest up. I retreated home myself to sleep for a couple hours. Exhaustion and lack of sleep were dangerous cohorts. Besides, I hadn't seen much of Lily in days and was missing her more than I'd ever dreamed.

I'd never rushed home before I had Lily. She was everything to me, but I doubted she knew how I felt. It bothered me that she'd been so distracted lately, but I let her have her space, knowing that to do otherwise would smother her. Lily wasn't the kind of woman who liked to be spoiled. At least not now. Maybe in her previous life at the palace.

I wondered what was going on with her. She'd retreated into her mind so much lately, rarely speaking of her thoughts and desires. Her cold shoulder was hard to take, but I didn't want to push. She'd come around eventually. I hoped.

"Lily?" I dropped my jacket on the couch as I entered our apartment. The silence seemed abnormally present. No response. I checked each room, but she wasn't there. I figured she'd gone out for a walk since she was off work. I hoped she'd return before I left again in the evening. I thought about calling her, but she needed her space, and I didn't want to interfere in her alone time, so I sent a quick, concise text instead.

Home for a few hours to rest. Love you.

I didn't expect her to answer. She sometimes went hours without checking her phone. I didn't think the royals were on their phones half as much as people were in the city. There was hardly a need to communicate by text when servants were constantly at your disposal. It had taken me some time to get used to her mannerisms, but she was adjusting too.

After peeling off the last of my clothes, I slipped into bed and closed my eyes, feeling the fatigue run over my muscles in a soothing ache. The bed felt like a slice of heaven underneath my worn-out body. It had been a long day patrolling Temple, especially with this new threat lingering on the edges of town.

But was it even a threat?

Without further evidence of malice, I was going to have to let it go soon.

I struggled to sleep as the minutes ticked by. There was too much on my mind, mainly Lily. After an hour, I felt certain she was in peril. Stuffing a pillow over my head, I tried to calm my overactive imagination before checking my phone for the hundredth time since I'd texted her.

Sure, she would text within an hour, usually. Had she ever gone longer? Yes. That was the unfortunate part. She had gone up to about six hours without answering a text. Most of the time, it didn't feel like an eternity because I was working and something always came up. But something was different today. I didn't know how I knew. Maybe it was our bond. She still wore my Ardent talisman and I hers. It connected us to a point. Maybe this anxiety bothering me wasn't exactly mine. It could possibly be a second-hand projection of her emotions.

I sat up. The revelation that she really could be in some sort of danger was all too real, especially with the night fast approaching. Tossing off the comforter, I was about to jump out of bed when Lily suddenly appeared in the doorway.

"Hi," she said, looking just as exhausted as I was. Leaning on the door frame, she seemed pensive and quieter than usual.

"Lily!" I swung my legs over the side of the bed and waited for her to join me. When she didn't, I wondered if I should approach her or not. Something was troubling her greatly.

"What do you know about the KelHans?" she asked, picking at the doorframe where scuffs marred the painted wood. Her tone wasn't accusatory, but it left me wondering what she was getting at.

I paused, confused. How would she know about them?

"They're wolf-gargoyle shifters who used to be part of the MarkTier pack before they were banished. Did you encounter them in the fog?" I asked. She nodded but didn't make a move for the bed. I sighed. "They're dangerous and haven't been seen around Temple for centuries. But they're back. At least I'm pretty convinced they are."

"Do you know what they've been doing since they were banished?" That last word made her wince. It probably brought back recent, painful events.

How did she know so much?

"No. They disappeared after they were banished and haven't been seen around these parts for centuries. Most believed they died off in the wild, unable to survive isolation. No one has heard from them since they left."

"Why would they return? Why now?"

I shrugged, holding back my own question about why she was asking me these things. "I don't know. How did you encounter them? Did they hurt you?"

Her silence told me as much. She continued to pick at the paint, and tiny chips fluttered to the floor like snow.

"I need to show you something," she said and began to walk toward me. I waited as she sat down, wondering what was going on. She was acting odd, elusive even. I hoped she hadn't run into the KelHans while I was on patrol. There was no way to tell how many of them were still alive. And who knew the extent of their powers now?

Lily slipped onto the mattress next to me, wringing her fingers together. Her distress did not go unnoticed, but I feared speaking would knock her off her trajectory. I needed to hear what she had to say before she could shut down and keep it inside. We usually told each other everything, but this was something else. She was nervous, scared even. I hoped I didn't make her feel that way about telling me things.

I reached around her shoulders, pulling her in for a side hug. She stiffened but relaxed after a moment.

"What's wrong, Lily? You can tell me anything, you know that."

She kept her eyes down, pressing her hands together as she continued to fidget. She was mustering the courage to tell me something unpleasant. I was ready to hear anything. There was nothing in the world that could get in the way of my love for her.

Finally, she held up her right hand. "Have you ever seen this before?" On her palm, a small rune was glowing. It emanated from under her skin, like a tattoo of light. It was oddly familiar.

"I have seen it before in my studies," I answered. "It's one of the many runes which represent some of the wolf packs across the world. Usually, it's hidden under the skin on a specific part of the body, depending on the wolf pack involved, and can only be seen via black light. It's an ancient shifter mark that has faded, for the most part, over centuries of intermixing shifter bloodlines with humans.

"The more human our kind have become, the more this magic has disappeared from our powers," I offered.

The symbol on Lily's palm was vibrant and new, just like one of centuries ago. How was it possible? It didn't need any kind of black light to be noticed.

"I've never seen that on you before," I said. Reaching out, I ran my fingers across the fiery emblem. It was flat and warm whereas the surrounding flesh of her fingers felt cold as stone. It was then that I noticed the unnatural pallor of her skin. I followed her arm up to her face where it was apparent her color was more than just fair. It had an underlying tinge of blue-grey, making her look almost ethereal. In the dim light of the dusk seeping through the curtains, she could have passed for an exquisitely carved statue.

"Lily? What's happened to you?"

Realizing I was staring, her hands flew up to her face. She covered her cheeks as she pulled away from me, her eyes wide with fear.

"It was Grayson. He's from the KelHan pack. I met him in the fog the other day. He did something to me but said he only woke up magic lying dormant in my veins. He said...." Lily inhaled sharply, her panicked voice shaking as she spoke. "He said I was part KelHan, but the curse doesn't affect me completely because my family defected before the curse was placed on their pack when they were all banished."

Confused, I stood up. Anger surged through me like a wildfire.

"Why didn't you tell me you spoke to Grayson? You―Part KelHan? No. That's not possible. They're supposed to be dead or dying off."

"He's very much alive, but I've never seen any others." Lily reached for me, tears shining in her dark eyes. "Ephrem, I didn't know he'd be there today. It's like I was compelled to return to the park. I don't remember wandering into the forest. It's all such a blur. My blood was on fire, and then the symbol appeared. I even healed a broken bone without shifting. How is that possible? I don't know what's going on. I think he's done something to make me do what he wants."

"Did he hurt you?" I reached out and traced her jawline with my fingers, pushing loose strands of her dark hair away from her blanched face. Gone was the healthy pink glow she'd once had. Instead, she resembled light gray marble.

"I don't know. He said me being near another of our pack"—she made quotation marks in the air—"sparked the transition." Her eyelids fluttered rapidly, allowing a single tear to drop down her cheek. "What does it all mean? Ephrem, I don't know what to do."

She buried her face in my chest as I held her tight, rubbing her back as gently as possible. My soul ached that Grayson had done something to her and I hadn't been there to stop him. He was going to have hell to pay now.

"Look, I'll go to the archives at the MarkTier palace. You probably shouldn't return there with me, after what happened with Elise, but I'll see what I can find. There must be something there that could help us with all this. I know the historian and archivist. His name is Langley, and he knows everything."

She nodded. "Okay." A faint spark of hope shined in her eyes. "I can see about getting hold of Rafaela. She might know something about our lineage or know someone who does. My mother might even know something."

I agreed. I pulled her in for another tight hug, and my lips found their way to hers. They were still soft but only slightly warm, like she'd just come in from the frigid air instead of having already warmed up in the safety of our apartment. The cold on the rest of her body was coming from inside her, not from the weather outside. She was so confused, and I hated that I couldn't help her yet.

Knowing I couldn't go with her, I decided to assign Jason to accompany her to the ArcKnight palace via the underground tunnels. I hated leaving her, but I had to talk with Langley myself. He wouldn't divulge sensitive and classified information to a stranger.

Ihated our laws even more. Being engaged to Lily but forbidden to marry underthe laws of our packs was unjustifiable. I didn't care what they would say whenwe did seal our vows. I would deal with the wrath of the MarkTier and ArcKnightcourts when the time came. If we had to leave Temple forever, I would. As longas I was with Lily. In the end, that was all that really mattered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 416 24
The werewolves and the human kingdoms have been at a vicious war for twenty-five years, and with the wolves' peace treaty with the Alkebulans, they w...
135K 7.6K 43
*Sequel to CREATURES OF THE NIGHT / Cannot be read as a standalone* It's been three months since Elias' body went missing, and without him, the shift...
705 4 26
As a Cursed elf, one born with no magic, Edwyr has been forced to live among humans for over ten years. He doesn't mind his job of defending the town...
447K 27.2K 66
"You just love getting yourself into trouble, don't you?" Moonwitches, the rarest and most powerful beings in the entire universe. They are favored b...