The Mistake

By laceycass

Highest ranking: #1 in Teen Fiction #1 in Teen • • • Samantha Rosewood ha... More

Escape
Faking It
Stalker
Bonfire
One of Those Days
Drama Queen
First Fight
Blackmail
Nightmare
False Hope
Tension
Losing It
Waves
Burden
Spilled Secret
Half Truths
Reaction
Bruised
Beneath
Realization
Hesitation
The Date
Reasons
Five A.M.
Excuse
Again
Party Crasher
The Leather Jacket
Warning
Promise
Distance
Distraction
Recognition
Fear
Red
The Deal
Guilty
Past
Cover
Over
A Lie and a Promise
Seen
Heat Wave
Blue Cap
Oblivious
Shifted
Buzzed
Slurred
Remorse
Missed Call
Fooled
Relived
Emma
Choice
Change
Slow
Push
Spiral
Ache
Revealed
Buried Memories
The Football Game
Through
Over
Day One

Slip Away

12.6K 491 63
By laceycass

Caleb hopped onto the ring as soon as Billy dizzily staggered out of the ring with someone holding him steady. I stood up straighter, the crowd cheered. But I'd taken a pretty bad beating, too.

A bruise under my eye was swelling up, my left shoulder was probably dislocated and I was pretty sure a molar or two were loose.

But I was on a victory high. Every ounce of pain was masked.

I left the ring, people who had wagered on me cheering, going to take the money they won on me. The rest were already betting on the next pair of fighters of the night.

I cut through the crowd of leather jackets and drunks. By this point, the adrenaline was starting to wear off and my shoulder felt like shit. I ordered a drink from the bar and sat down on the stool. The fight was already starting and the thud of punches connecting fueled the crowd.

I threw back the drink, asked for another one. There were rarely any people here to bandage up the fighters. The medicine here was the alcohol. It soothed even the rawest pain.

As I downed the next shot, a girl appeared out of the corner of my eye. She sat next to me and ordered a drink for herself. The girl searched for something in her bag and pulled out a pack of cigarrettes. "Do you have a light?" A thick Russian accent came from the girl's mouth, and I turned to her. Long black hair pulled back and brown eyes framed her face. Even without the accent, she looked like she wasn't from around here.

I took out the lighter in my pocket and flicked it on. She looked at me while she lit her cigarrette. "I've seen you lately, up there in the ring. You're not too bad."

"Not too bad?" I cocked my head and looked at her. "You're underestimating me."

"Maybe you can convince me otherwise." She teased. I came closer until our faces were inches apart. I knew what she was looking for. Just like many girls I've met here.

She challenged me again, parting her full lips open a little. Inviting me in. She closed her eyes and I leaned in. "Maybe some other time." I whispered in her ear and walked past, downing the third shot before leaving.

I got about half a block away on my motorcycle before the flashing lights and sirens of a police car turned on from behind me. With a sigh, I took my helmet off and killed the engine as the cop got out of his car. A young fidgeting guy came up to me. I nearly laughed, he barely filled out his uniform. "You were going pretty fast just right now."

"Not fast enough, apparently." I muttered to myself. If he heard, he didn't show it.

"Have you had anything to drink tonight?" He squinted and shifted in his uniform. Yep, he was definitely a rookie.

"No, but I could sure use one now." I wasn't drunk, but I probably shouldn't have said that anyways.

The officer flushed and huffed. "Alright, buddy, you're coming with me." By the time he said the last word, my engine was already revving and my helmet was on.

I laughed at his startled look when he told me to stay put and scramble around. "Race you to the station, Sparky." I took off, the officer yelled at me, but I was already gone. He wasn't going to come after me.

"Woah, little brother, where do you think you're going?" I blocked the entrance and crossed my arms. He had his car keys in hand and it was nearly twelve am. Where the heck was he going?

Alex gave me a cold stare and huffed, annoyed. "Get out of the way."

I hissed through my teeth. "Can't do that." I told him, he opened his mouth to say something but settled for just rolling his eyes. "They're coming home soon and my mom will kick my ass if we're not both here."

He shook his head. "I'll be back before they're home. Now move."

"Easy, little bro. What are you so pissed at me for?"

"You're a dick. It's not that hard to figure out."

"Alex..." I warned.

He let out a humorless chuckle and shook his head again. "You know, you've never cared to hang around girls that you don't want to sleep with or use for something. So what the hell are you doing with Sam?"

"Ah, it's about her, then." I sighed. I could see where this was going.

"You keep hurting her, Nick. And by some miracle she doesn't entirely hate your guts. I don't know what you're trying to get at, but leave her alone. She doesn't need you treating her like shit one day after the next." With a hard shove into my shoulder, he walked past me. I stayed in the doorway until I heard his car drive away.

I shut the door on the way in. For some reason, I had a feeling he was going to see Sam.

***

Samantha

"Thanks for coming, Alex." He walked up to me, worry etched on his face.

"Still no sign of her?" I shook my head. Alex sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"I saw her at school today and, she said she was having some huge fight with her mom. She was in class. And then she just ran away." I rambled. Sophie hadn't answered any of my calls or texts since. It wasn't until her mom called me, freaking out because her daughter hadn't come back from school that day that I started to worry.

"Sorry I called you so late, but I'm really worried and her mom is too and I thought since you two were, like, kind of dating now that-"

"-Sam, it's fine. I'm glad you called." He smiled reassuringly at me, and I smiled back. "I think I know where she might be."

The skin around my fingernails was starting to get raw from biting around it. I really needed to work on that nervous habit I'd picked up. I scooped my hands into fists to stop myself from doing any more damage. "So, where are we going?"

Alex didn't tear his eyes away from the road. "This place a few blocks down, I don't know if she'll be there, but it's worth a try."

I nodded. The roads were mostly empty at this time, ours was the only car cruising through the dimly lit streets. I felt a knot in the pit of my stomach. I remembered the night I met those guys in the alley just a few blocks away. What if they were still around here and they found Sophie?

My phone rang, I quickly fumbled in my bag for it, dropping some things onto the seat. Alex turned to me with wide eyes, gripping the wheel. My heart sank when I read the words Mom on the screen. "It's my mom." Not Sophie. Alex sighed and kept going.

"Mom?" I closed my eyes shut, waiting for the screaming to start.

"Sam? Where are you? I came back from work to find you're not in your bed! Come home right now!"

"Mom, you don't understand. Sophie-"

"I don't care, it's way past midnight and you're God knows where-"

"Trust me. I'll be back soon, I promise and I'll explain everything. Just please."

"You have half an hour to get home or you're never stepping foot out of this house again, alright?"

"Okay, mom. Bye." I hung up and sighed, rubbed my forehead. I could feel my pulse growing faster, stronger. The anxiety was taking hold again. Out of instinct, my hands searched for the pills in my bag. I'd already taken one tonight, but I searched for them. These pills could control my anxiety. I could control it. Having them in my hand helped remind me of that.

But they weren't there.

"Everything okay?" I looked at Alex, who was staring at something below the car seat. His eyes flickered away.

"Yeah, why-"I realized what he was looking at. My pills. In the hurry to get my phone out, I'd dropped them by accident. If he had heard the rumors, this would no doubt only assure him more.

Flushing, I took the pills in one quick motion and buried them into my bag. Alex's face turned hard and he pressed on the brakes. "Alex, why'd you stop? We have to-"

"Sam, I get it, okay? I get that you don't trust me or whatever but..."

"What?"

His face was like stone, but his eyes were soft. "I need to know. I've seen those pills before. When the rumors first started, I brushed it off, but I started seeing you with the pills and-" I ran a hand through my hair. I knew where this was going. This was stressful, but after living through the rumors so many times it was starting to be kind of funny.

"Is it true? Are you depressed?" He looked at me with worry. Or was it pity? After so many of these expressions from people, I couldn't really tell anymore.

I chuckled dryly. I didn't know why it came out like that. I was so tired. "Yeah, I'm depressed. What gave me away, the black outfit I have on? Guys find it really attractive, you know?"

"Sam, I'm serious-"

"It's not depression, Alex. What, do I look like so weak and broken?" I snapped. "I don't take these pills for that. But I shouldn't waste my time trying to convince you, or anyone, should I?" Everyone chose to believe what they wanted to, the truth was the least popular story anyways. All they wanted was drama and the chance to ruin a person's life.

Alex looked confused, helplessly trying to make me understand. "Sam," he started, gently. "I don't know why you keep shutting everyone out, but I already told you. You can trust me."

"Really? So you believe me?" I scoffed.

"Damn it, of course I believe you. Why wouldn't I?"

Because no one believed me before, not when I tried to tell the truth about the rumor that tore me apart last year. And not in this either. I wasn't going to make the mistake of hoping anyone would trust my words this time around. But I had no answer for his question, at least not one I wanted to say, so I stayed quiet.

"I really wish you knew how much you could trust me, Sam. I would never do anything to hurt you." He gave me a downcast glance, disappointed. I shifted in my seat and looked away. I didn't know why I kept shutting everyone out, why it was so hard for me to trust. Maybe I'd end up alone because of that.

The only guy who's been there for me since I first came here and helped me through everything with no questions asked, and I kept blowing him off. And he was still there, with that smile and those dimples and just being perfect.

He sighed when I didn't say anything, started up the engine again and pulled onto the road. "I'm sorry Alex. It's not you, I just- it's hard." I murmured. "I'm trying." He understood.

He reached over and gave my hand a gentle squeeze and a charming smile. I felt myself melt a little. Why was he so good to me?

Ten minutes later, Alex pulled over at a dark place with a few overlapping voices coming from there. That was literally all my horrible eyesight could make out. That it was dark. But Alex must have better vision, because his eyes lit up at something in there. He pushed the car door open and stumbled onto the street clumsily. I followed.

Out of the shadows, two girls appeared. I squinted to make them out. Who were they? "Sophie." Alex whispered, as if reading my mind. She walked towards us, and Sophie stepped out of the dark, cigarette in hand, a beanie, and a jacket over her shoulders. Her eyes were a reflection of the moon, but she looked worn out, tired. She saw us and her mouth parted slightly, unsure. The other girl waved goodbye to her and disappears into the shadows again.

Alex walked quickly over to her and wrapped his arms around her. She stiffened, not knowing what to do.

He said something to her and she nodded. "How did you guys find me?" I heard her ask him. I didn't get his answer.

They both came back to where I was. I hugged her and she hugged me back. Something was definitely off about her. She seemed distraught. "Sophie, why didn't you answer my calls? We were so worried and your mom-"

"I'm- I really needed to get away from my house and I turned my phone off. I'm sorry if you guys were worried. I just needed to be alone." I eyed her wearily. "I'm fine, guys. I promise."

On the way back, Sophie asked me if she could stay the night. I said yes and told Alex to take my house. We arrived and I waved Alex goodbye, gave him a short smile. He smiled back and I knew what he was telling me. We were okay.

I came in and let the door open for Sophie, turning back I saw Sophie say something to Alex and kiss him on the cheek. Alex  seemed to be in shock, and I smiled to myself. Sophie did too as soon as he got in the car and drove away.

"Thanks for letting me stay over." She said for the hundredth time.

"Come on Soph, seriously, it's no big deal, you can stay over anytime. I told your mom you were here so she wouldn't worry."

She scoffed. "My mother doesn't care about me. She cares about me putting bread on her table."

"What do you mean?" I frowned.

Sophie seemed to struggle with herself, but she finally spoke. "She- she drinks. A lot. Ever since my dad left us when I was a little girl, she'd always have a bottle of something in her hand. But it got worse. She barely works. So I have to take care of her. This morning before school, I tried to make her get up for her job interview. She'd been drinking since dawn. She started throwing everything around and messed up the house. Acting like a crazy person. Throwing vases and tables and plates. I got sick of it. She cursed at me to go to hell, so I left. I- I can't be with her like this, Sam. I feel like I don't have a mom anymore..." she couldn't keep talking. For the first time I've seen her, she wept. She hid her head between her knees and cried on my bed while I tried comforting her, embracing her. But we both knew that type of comforting was useless. When you go through bad stuff, it isn't like a hug and some sweet words will make everything better. She fell asleep eventually, her tears marking streaks down my pillow.

I sat up after a few minutes of laying there with open eyes. tirelessness taking over me. Maybe I'd have my own escape tonight, too. I hadn't been up the mountain in a couple days and I yearned for that fresh air again, if only for a couple minutes.

With a sweater over my tank top and loose hair, I set out into the street, being careful to shut the door quietly behind me. I would be grounded for life if my mom found out I was out yet again.

Bright, twinkling stars shone above me as I walked. It was different, more relaxing than running tonight. I reached the clearing after half an hour, half expecting to be alone. But there was a figure sitting with his back turned around, staring off at the open space ahead. I guessed who it was as soon as the motorcycle parked near him came into view.

I sighed and walked up to him. He didn't turn towards the sound of my footsteps. Nick looked relaxed, both his arms planted on the grassy ground and his face titled slightly to the night sky.

I sat down next to him, dangling my feet over the unsteady cliff. It was pretty far down, but the fall wasn't too steep. I'd probably break a leg if I fell in there.

Nick never looked at me, he had his eyes closed. "Whew, you're getting better at this stalking thing, Sammi."

I chuckled and brought my arms around my knees. The stalking thing didn't really bother me anymore. "What are you even doing here right now?"

"I could ask you the same question."

"Couldn't sleep."

"Yeah. It's nice here isn't it?" He squinted at something over the horizon.

"Yeah, I'd never been here at night." The city lights shone in the distance, cutting through the contrasting darkness. It was beautiful.

"I come here all the time," He said. "But you probably already knew that, didn't you, stalker?" He teased.

"Ha ha. You're so funny." He turned to me and smirked, and I caught a few bruises and scratches on his face. I took in a sharp breath.  "And what happened to your face? Did Nicholas Carter finally lose a fight?" I mocked.

He shook his head once. "I let the other guy get a few punches in before I knocked him out."

I scrunched up my nose. "So why do you do it? Box?"

"It's fun." Nick said simply. "You know what fun is, don't you?" He grinned.

"Seriously, that can't be the only reason you do it." Did he even need the money?

He didn't answer and turned back to the view. Pale moonlight reflected and danced on his eyes, making them sparkle in a way I'd never seen. I sighed. I knew almost nothing about him, yet it seemed like every day he figured out a piece of me. It made me feel weird.

"You know, technically, it wouldn't be that hard to stalk you." I blurted.

He laughed and turned to me. "Yeah, right. It's nearly 2 am, and I usually take fifteen minutes to come up here." Fifteen minutes? That was pretty quick.

I shrugged. "So? That's not that fast, you know?"

"Oh really? How much time do you take?"

"Maybe 25 minutes sometimes, but I live farther away." I smiled mockingly. "So yeah, it'd be pretty easy to beat your time."

He grinned. "That almost sounds like a challenge. You wouldn't last a week running the same distance as me."

I shrugged. "You're the one that said I was a stalker. If I followed you it'd mean I ran the same distance as you, at the same time." I pointed out, smiling to myself.

A sly smile spread across his face and maybe it was just my imagination, but I felt him move the tiniest inch closer. "So you're admitting you followed me?"

"No." I looked away, stared into the open space and lights ahead. The wind howled and I rubbed my arm to keep warm. "I'm just saying you'd be contraditcing yourself."

He chuckled. "Alright. We start tomorrow." I raised my eyebrows at him.

"We what?" I didn't think he'd actually take me up on what I said.

"5 am. Don't be late."

"Wait-"

"And bring my jacket along." He moved closer, and it wasn't my imagination this time. He stopped an inch away and whispered into my ear. "Don't think I forgot about what you owe me." A chill crawled down my spine as he reached behind me and grabbed his keys from the ground.

He stood up and revved his motorcycle engine, the sharp sound cutting through the early morning silence, aside from the wind tattering through cloth and hair.

I stayed there until the first sign of daylight broke the sky. The front door opened, everyone still slept. I felt relaxed, like a weight was released from my shoulders. The fact that I knew I could slip away anywhere for hours and no one would know was soothing for me somehow.

I lay there on the covers next to Sophie, who hadn't moved an inch since I left, and waited for the heavy sleep to fall over me.

----
Sorry for the wait, I'm back in school and you guys have no idea how much work I have🙃

But here's a long chapter for you guys. Remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed! 💗

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

857 21 9
"𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬. 𝐖𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡. 𝐖𝐞 𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞. 𝐖𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐲. 𝐖𝐞 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐫𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐝𝐨...
4.4M 100K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
450K 12.9K 41
[[✨COMPLETED✨]] • We both inched closer and closer until our lips were brushing against each other like some sort of tease. But before we could go a...
63.1K 2.6K 60
FORMERLY KNOW AS MY GREEN-EYED JERK. Anxiety disorders accompanied by a heavy load of sacarsm isn't the best combination for a girl like Samantha who...