The Bookworm | ✔️

By KimberlyWritesBooks

WARNING: Book ahead is pretty cliche and my first work on here. It's got plot holes and a main character you... More

Chapter One - Not So Typical
Chapter Two - No Superheros Please
Chapter Three - One Crazy Idea
Chapter Four - Letters In A Lunchbox
Chapter Five - Is That An Ace In The Hole Or A Joker?
Chapter Six - Princess Tales
Chapter Seven - Confused Don't Even Cover It
Chapter Eight - Dead Girl Walking?
Chapter Nine - Surprise, Surprise!
Chapter Ten - You Could Actually Feel The Awkward
Chapter Eleven - No More Ninja
Chapter Twelve - Books & Bowling
Chapter Thirteen - Just Another Day
Chapter Fourteen - Date: The Social Interaction
Chapter Fifteen - Boys, Bathrooms & Befuddlement
Chapter Seventeen - The Blockhead Algorithm
Chapter Eighteen - The Rumor Mill & A Father's Intuition
Chapter Nineteen - And That Was All He Wrote...
Chapter Twenty - Cooky Conundrums & Cliche Cliffhangers
Chapter Twenty One - FBI Agent In Training (Maybe ...)
Chapter Twenty Two - The Sherlock Twins: Reunited!
Chapter Twenty Three - Oliver Twist ... In The Flesh!
Epilogue
Alternate Ending
WATTPAD BLOCK PARTY SUMMER EDITION 2018

Chapter Sixteen - The Wilder-Holmes Discrepancy

53.3K 1.7K 680
By KimberlyWritesBooks

~
~
~
~
That following week, starting from that Monday came to be a great week. I felt alive and happy. My homework was getting turned in on time, the grades I received on my work all high marks.

Shane no longer tried to sit at the table with Shelby and Evan, so I decided to split the lunch hour between them. It worked; Shane and Evan no longer had a chance to lock horns and I still got plenty of time between the two of them.

Apparently, the Evan and Shelby already had plans to go to prom together. I'm happy for them and let's face it, if they can last past prom and graduation, they're in it for the long haul.

Remaining true to his word, Shane and I were able to hang out twice in the following days. Once we went to a local burger place, one I had never heard of but Shane promised would have my taste buds in a puddle of mush by the time their food got through with me.

He was not wrong.

My taste buds, indeed, felt like they were given a nice forty five minute long massage. It was awesome.

The other time we hung out, we went for ice cream. Simple, yet effective. The ice cream shop we went to proved to be another place I have never heard of. Because of that, I decided that I needed to get a whole lot more. All the staying indoors would be the death of me, especially considering the fact that I managed to miss out on some great food.

We all know how much I love food.

Anyways, at this point, I didn't know if we were actually together or not. I liked to think that three dates meant we were an item. But since Shane played the part of the male protagonist in our crazy little story, I wanted him to brooch the subject. No way, no how would I be the one to initiate that conversation.

Not gonna happen.

So flash forward to today, which would be Friday. Good old TGIF. But to be truthful, the strain of the week caught up with me. My social life had a few more components and there was just so much homework that I had to complete; not to mention the stupid project I still had to do with Keegan.

I really needed to get with him on that.

Pulling myself from the memoirs of this past week that decided to march through my mind at that time, I shook my head and left the classroom. Everyone had already gone to lunch, but there I sat with my head in the clouds.

I had already decided earlier in the day that the outside world called to me. No cafeteria for this bookworm today. It would give me some down time and let me read a little more on the book that Keegan and I had decided upon for our assignment.

Now I just needed to alert the rest of my clan.

I could just send Shelby a text and then she would tell Evan, so big deal there. But, even though I had Shane's number, I had never actually used it. So he would be a face to face conversation; all I had to do was find him.

I supposed it wouldn't be too awful hard. Just follow the sounds of obnoxious laughter in the halls. His loyal goons were never too far from him and everyone could hear them, no matter where in the hallways one stood.

And true to my prediction, I heard several loud guffaws and rolled my eyes. I stuck my head around the corner and there they were, walking in the opposite direction.

Goons have been spotted; I repeat, goons have been spotted.

Approach with caution.

Catching up to Shane, I called out his name to grab his attention. In moments, he was pushing away from his friends and meeting me halfway. His friends were snickering a bit and shaking their heads, but I just ignored them.

That's what I usually did anyways.

"Hey, Gab."

Shane shot me an award winning smile, slinging an arm over my shoulder. Surprisingly, I didn't mind as much as I did last week. His attention slowly grew on me. I still didn't know if I actually liked it, but I definitely didn't mind it that much.

"Hey. So, I just wanted to tell you that I won't be inside for lunch," I said getting straight to the point. "My tree beckons."

He nodded as we walked towards the cafeteria together. "Okay, let me just grab my food and I'll come hang out with you."

Wincing, I shook my head. "Uhm, actually, I just need some me time."

I didn't want to come off as rude, but I hadn't been to my tree in forever. I felt like as if I were neglecting the poor thing.

"I just want to read a little bit today."

He looked a little disappointed, but nevertheless, Shane gave me a smile and let go, bidding me goodbye as he swung open the door and entered the cafeteria.

The walk to my locker was spent with only a few other teens; the halls were pretty empty, which I liked the best. Opening up my locker, I snatched out my lunch and stuffed it inside my bag before locking the locker back up and heading outside.

With the sun shining and the slight breeze that passed me by, I could tell that the weather was perfect for sitting under the branches of my favorite tree and popping open a book.

Plopping down in my usual spot, I sort of smiled and leaned my head back. It had been way too long. Sighing happily, I took out my sandwich and book, setting both in my lap. Ripping the saran wrap away from my sandwich, I took a huge bite before opening up the book to the last place I left of.

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter was an interesting story so far. I had learned the struggles of the main character and taken a few notes on my favorite parts. I couldn't wait to get back together with Keegan so we could exchange notes and start our presentation.

Once my lunch disappeared, I closed the book and turned my attention to the hole in my tree. I honestly didn't think that anything would be in there. Why would there be?

Taking a deep breath, I shoved my hand inside. Imagine my surprise when my hand actually came into contact with an envelope. Faster than the speed of light, I yanked it out and noticed my heart started beating a bit faster. Flipping it over, I ripped open the envelope, the letter inside on display.

Pinching the edge, I pulled the letter out of the envelope and quickly unfolded it.

It was from Oliver.

Of course it's from Oliver, you idiot. I thought to myself, shaking my head.

Inhaling, I began reading, right from where my name was penned in the distinctive style of Oliver.

Gabrielle -

I just wanted to get in contact with you and see how you are doing. I'm not going to lie, I have actually missed your letters. I know you have a life of your own and you can't just live and breath writing back and forth with me, but I really do enjoy hearing from you.

I noticed that you and Shane have been spending a lot more time together - he seems nice. You guys look good together and I hope that he treats you the same way.

Anyways, onto other things, I started to read this really obscure poet; he's amazing. The way he words things makes me feel as though it came from my own heart instead of his, you know.

If you want, we can read the book once you feel like it again.

As I read on, I felt like crying. The letter was dated over a week ago. I had managed to butt out a new, but very important part of my life. And for someone who lied to me in the end. Raising my eyes, I stared into absolutely nothing as the new information sunk in and puzzle pieces fit perfectly together.

Shane was not Oliver. No way he could be, not when Oliver referred to him in the way the letter did. Shane lied.

And I hate liars.

Clenching my jaw, I gently folded the letter and slid it into my bag, reminding myself to finish it later. Right now, lunch was about to end. And after school...

Well, there was a soccer player who was about to lose some limbs.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"You seem tense."

"And award for most obvious observer goes to Shelby Adams. Come claim your prize," I grumbled, slamming open my locker door. Scrunching my face up, I set my head inside my locker. Peeking from the corner of my eyes, I caught a glimpse of the look Shelby was giving me.

Shocked, mixed with a bit of hurt at my tone. We played like this all the time, giving each other sarcastic comments. But the way I said it was hurtful and I knew it.

Guilt pricked at the back of my mind and I sighed heavily. "Shell ... I'm ... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to be so rude. I just ..."

Glancing down at my fingers, I shook my head. "I found something out today and it just threw me off. Even though I had suspicions, I wasn't ready to hear it flat out." And that was the honest truth.

Something told me Shane couldn't be Oliver. The thought ran through my mind a thousand and one times. Things didn't add up at all. But to actually hear it and see what I thought was becoming a relationship crumble, it actually kind of hurt.

As stupid as it was, I kind of wanted Shane to be Oliver. Isn't that the cliché, cute coupling that every girl wants? Two opposites attracting? So, yeah, it sucked.

No one wants to be lied to; no one wants to be deceived.

Shelby bit her lip. "Is everything okay?"

Pursing my lips, I raised one shoulder in a non-chalant manner. "I guess I'm going to find out, huh?"

Squeezing her shoulder in a goodbye, I walked away to my next class. "I'll talk to you after school, Shelby. Let's hang out," I called the last bit over my shoulder.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

With English being my last class of the day, I nervously tapped my feet on the edge of my chair. It was easy to see that Keegan gritted his teeth a little in annoyance. He kept glancing at me and at one point, put his book on my knee, effectively halting my actions as I didn't want the book to get thrown to the floor.

I didn't get anything done in class and found it hard to pay attention. Focusing was just not an option. At all.

When the final bell rang out, I visibly let out a sigh of relief. I gathered my things into my bag and bolted out the door. I needed to confront Shane today, right now.

But I didn't exactly get far. A hand gently grabbed my elbow and pulled me off to the side and placed me next to the row of lockers. "Nervous partners aren't good partners. What's up?" Keegan asked, raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms.

Exhaling loudly, I slammed my head against the metal behind me, wincing. Bad idea. Rubbing the spot, I replied, "I just have some stuff I have to take care of. It's not a big deal. I'll be better on Monday, don't worry about it."

I brushed off the concern. Really, I would be fine the next day.

Keegan didn't look convinced, raising one eyebrow at me, but he nodded anyways. He stepped to the side, holding out his hand and motioning that I could go. Not that I really needed his permission, but he did tower a good foot over me and had way more muscle than me. So if he wanted to talk, far be it from me to deny him that.

But I didn't expect him to walk with me. He brought his body up next to mine and filled the silence with chatter about ... well, nothing really.

It was sort of ironic; he actually spoke quite a bit when you got him alone, something I never would have guessed when we first met.

"We should get together sometime this next week to read and work on the project. I have some notes already and I assume you do as well. We can start to piece together our presentation."

I readily agreed with him, considering I had the same thoughts earlier.

"Sounds good, Keegan. Just let me know when and we can hash out details," I replied. Stopping at my locker, I listened to him talk about the project and the direction we could take on it as I emptied my bag and kept the books that I needed for homework later on.

"Well, I guess I'll talk to you later," I said, smiling at the dark haired boy in front of me. He shot me a small smile in return, seemingly satisfied that my mood didn't hang as low and dark as it did a few minutes before, and headed off towards his locker.

I stood watching him for a moment, thinking of my next move and how it would be executed. Popping my lips, I spun on my heel and began to trek in the opposite direction.

Shane's locker was around here somewhere and if my calculations were correct he would be there soon. I could just wait until he showed up.

"It's over, okay? Done deal. Just let it go."

Ah, Shane was already at his locker. But given the topic I would be bringing up momentarily couldn't be considering all that pleasant, I decided to just wait around the corner so I didn't interrupt. Leaning against the wall, I drummed my fingers on my thigh, trying to block out the conversation as I pulled my own thoughts together.

"I just can't believe how much the poor sap likes you," I heard one of his friends snigger.

I pursed my lips and walked closer to the corner; my family taught me not to eavesdrop, but at times like this, I couldn't help but listen. For some reason, I had a feeling this was about me.

"Look, can we just call it off? Never mention it again? I mean, come on. We're almost out of high school. I think daring each other to make a girl fall head over heels is juvenile, don't you? Besides, Gabrielle is really nice. She doesn't need to know how everything started. So, can you just keep your mouth shut and ... "

My mind shut off after that. Gulping down the lump in my throat, I quietly turned away and sprinted off down the halls, not wanting to listen anymore. So that was it, huh? The truth is revealed. He used the stupid Oliver thing to win a dare.

I am such an idiot. I thought to myself as I pushed open the doors, nearly stomping down the street.

How he even found out about Oliver, I don't know.

The tree is available to anyone, stupid. My subconscious sneered at me.

I hated to say it, but she was right.

Now, most girls would be sad right about now, right? Oh, woe is me. The hottest guy in school is a jerk. Well, not me. Most of the popular guys were jerks, so this didn't surprise me at all.

No, I didn't feel anguish or the need to drown my sorrows in ice cream and chocolate. I was just mad.

The Mad & The Furious.

I saw red.

I didn't care if he was a jerk, because even I saw that he had his genuinely nice moments. But for him to play me? Totally unacceptable. If this had been a normal relationship and he dumped me just because, I wouldn't have cared because, well, it happens. People break up all the time.

But to know that he used me for a stupid dare made me want to tell Evan so he could fulfill that image Shane had inserted in my head of ripping his arms out and beating the guy with them.

Yes, that would be grand.

But that seemed a bit violent.

I had no idea what he needed.

But in any event, I knew one person who would.

* * * * * * * * * *

Vote! Comment! Share! And fan!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 24.8K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
133K 6K 29
When Harlow accidentally takes the wrong bag at school she discovers a journal written by a mysterious, tortured boy inside. She becomes obsessed wit...
3.5M 135K 50
Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikki_k123 Alex has been living the same life, with the same routine, repeating i...
15.6K 211 12
Abigale isn't what you call pretty, or bright. She's average, with the below average schooling . Abi gets bullied for her nerdy appearance, and her h...