For the Love of Magic

By Rosewood7

"We have a new student in our class today," he announces. I see Jaz's face light up at the prospect of being... More

Wizards Warlocks and Witches
Dominico Redwind: Friend or Fiend?
Marco Polo: Magic Edition
Fighting Warlocks for Dummies
Jack Always Seemed So Happy When He Came Out Of The Box!
Now I see his point....being in the dark sucks!
From the hospital bed to the crypt
Metal bars and Magic cars
What Idiot Doesn't Like Disney Songs?
100% Chance of Hugs and Tales
Kindergarten life decisions and Glittery Games
A day accompanied by Dominico Redwind and a lot of head pain
Scary Yoda Mode: On
One big reason to not get caught up in politics
Faye and Ryan, Presenting YOU with YOUR Daily Dose of Weirdness
The Warlock
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.
That's it. I HATE psychopathic wizards. ESPECIALLY when they're out to get me.
Double Trouble With a Shot of Sugar
How To Spend A Snow Day for Dummies
Christmas and the Chaos that Goes With it
Pink, Luck, Rainbow-Barfing Butterflies, Dates, and other Abnormalities
Shakespeare in real life sucks
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
That Jobberknowl Romeo's Plan
Not exactly happily ever after.... but it works
Epilogue
Epilogue II

EXTRA CHAPTERS!

1K 47 29
By Rosewood7

BETWEEN ROSE AND MELISSA'S POV IN DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD

Alec steps away, surprised and I just stare stunned. He's not going to try to listen to him? How is he the one thinking most rationally out of the three of us? Alec and I exchange a look before following him down the stairs. I'm surprised with how easily he acts natural in front of Faye's parents before thanking them and leaving. Dominico heads directly for the driver's seat before Alec can stop him. I clamber into the passenger's side next to him while Alec grumbles as he gets into the back seat.

"For the record: I think this is a bad idea," he says.

"Noted," Dominico says off-handedly. He punches the address into Google Maps before spinning the car out of the Lightcasters' drive way and starts heading down toward main street.

"Where is he?" I ask Dominico.

"Verona, Indiana. It's about two hours away from here," he informs me.

"What about your mom and dad?" Alec pipes up.

"Could one of you call them and tell them that we're going to be a little while. I don't think they'll believe me if I tell them we're fine." He says. Again I'm astounded at how clearly he's thinking. It's almost as if losing Faye has put his brain on overdrive. Alec nods and calls up the Redwinds.

"Hey, Mrs. R! Well, um... Dominico kind of had a rough time going back to... you know... so would it be ok if Rose and I took him out for a while and clear his head. He's in pretty bad shape." Alec says. "Uh huh... ok... sure thing... no problem... ok... BYE!" Alec hangs up the call. "Huston we are clear for lift off," he reports. I can't help but slightly smile at his antics. Alec may not be able to ever be 100% serious... but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

An hour and a half later Alec is asleep in the back of the car and there's an eerie and uncomfortable silence between Dominico and me. He's normally so good about lightening the atmosphere but now all his resolve to do so is gone.

"Dominico, you're going to be ok, you know," I whisper gently to him. He shakes his head.

"You don't understand, Rose. How do you think it would feel like if you met someone and knew that they were 'the one.' And then if you got to know them and they became one of your best friends and then you fell in love with them. And then, after months of working up the guts to ask them out, you do and they say yes. It's the best feeling in the world, Rose. Knowing that the person you care so much about likes you too and they want to be yours. But then someone comes along and takes them from you. Not by their choice, they steal them, forever. And you can't even see them again. Because they're dead. It feels like someone bulldozing over your heart over and over and when it's completely flattened, they cut out a piece with a knife and you can never get it back."

I sit shocked by Dominico's speech.

"I can't imagine it," I say honestly.

"You're lucky then." He replies, his cold eyes fixed on the road with a solid determination.

BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND THE CHAOS THAT GOES WITH IT AND PINK, LUCK, RAINBOW-BARFING BUTTERFLIES, DATES AND OTHER ABNORMALITIES

Star Wars Slumber Party

I lay at home on my couch watching reruns of Sherlock, clutching a pillow and screaming at the TV. CURSE YOU MORIARTI! I'm so wrapped up in the episode that I don't even notice the footsteps coming up behind me.

"NO YOU IDIOT IT'S THE TAXI DRIVER!!!" I yell at Sherlock, sure he can hear me. I hear a chuckle behind me, causing me to jump. "Sweet mother of Chewbacca!" I gasp at the smirking warlock behind me. Dominico seems satisfied with my reaction.

"Nice to see you too," he comments with a grin.

"How did you even get in here?" I ask, wide-eyed, still recovering from the shock of his sudden appearance.

"The key in the random Altoids box outside? And just so we're clear, I'm not the mother of some Jedi," he says, obviously offended.

"Chewbacca's not a Jedi," I say stubbornly.

"Was he the guy in the black suit then?" Dominico asks. My eyes grow wide.

"No! That's Darth Vader! Have you never seen Star Wars?! What did you do your whole childhood?" I question him. He blushes deeply.

"Umm... played outside? I lived on the beach so I spent most of my time there. I really wasn't inside... like ever. Which is why it's so weird for me that it's so freakin' cold and so miserable to be outside."

"So you didn't have fun building the snowman?" I question, quirking an eyebrow at him.

"NO! That's not what I meant... I mean... yeah the snow... but the cold... I mean," Dominico stumbles. I laugh, pausing the Sherlock episode and watching him fumble with his words. He gives up when he hears my laugh and just shakes his head, embarrassed but not mad.

"But, that aside. You are watching Star Wars. I will make you watch Star Wars because it is awesome... a little out dated... but awesome."

"I'll hold you to that," he replies. There's a second of comfortable silence between us.

"So... is there a reason you just appeared in my house or did you just want to freak the living daylight out of me?" I ask him.

"I actually came to offer you a job," he admits. I perk up at this bit.

"Job? I'm listening," I say. He chuckles.

"Just babysitting the twins," he explains. I still light up.

"Yes! Definitely! They're so adorable!"

"I didn't even say you were going to get paid or anything," Dominico reminds me.

"Eh, it's your cousins. You don't need to pay me. I like babysitting," I tell him, standing up off the couch. "Where's everyone going tonight?"

"My parents are going out to dinner with my aunt and uncle again and Rose and Alec are reporting to Lady Fairchild. Izzy and I will both be home but I don't want to be home alone with the uncontrolled devils. They'll behave if you're there," he explains.

"I can't believe they don't behave for you, they're so cute!" I say. He makes devil horns on his head while I roll my eyes. I text my mom and tell her that I'm going to the Redwinds to help babysit and she tells me to have fun. She's probably just glad that I'm going to be communicating with humans... even if all four of them are warlocks. Dominico offers to give me a ride which I gratefully accept. Why waste gas if you don't have to?

"Wait one sec," I tell him as we're walking out the door. I run back inside and grab my full set of Star Wars DVDs before following him outside. He's in his mom's car since it's too cold to ride his motorcycle. I smile as he opens the passenger side for me.

"Thank you, chivalrous knight," I joke as I get in the car. He rolls his eyes.

"You're welcome, my lady." He follows with the medieval talk before slipping into the driver's seat. He looks down at the Star Wars DVDs I have with me. "You're really serious, aren't you?" he asks. I grin.

"You betcha! It's not healthy for a person to go their lives without watching Star Wars. A crime really," I say. He chuckles. I switch through the radio stations, to his great annoyance, until 'Pompeii' comes on and we both start screaming the song lyrics. Neither of us are going to be getting record deals anytime soon.

After a couple more rousing renditions, we pull up to his driveway. I'm in tears at the sight and sound of Dominico singing Justin Bieber's 'Baby' passionately and in a high, nasally voice. My stomach is cramped from my laughing and I think I might have just gained a six pack.

"Come on," Dominico says, laughing at the sight of me laughing, "the kids are probably waiting for us." I hold up my figure before inhaling deeply.

"Ok, ok, I'm good now." I inform him.

"Let's go," he urges with a smile. He lightly pecks my cheek and my head snaps around to stare at him, open-mouthed.

"What was that for?" I question. He grins.

"Your laugh is adorable," he informs me. I feel myself blush. He thinks my laugh is adorable? Ugh, why did he have to be so cute and sweet while I was trying to hide my massively embarrassing crush on him?

I follow him into his house, taking off my shoes and coat just as Dominico yells upstairs to the twins.

"JAKE! CHRIS! FAYE'S HERE!"

"FAYE!" their yell comes back, followed by a series of thumps as Jake and Chris appear and stamp quickly down the stairs, wrapping me in a hug when they reach the bottom.

"We missed you!"

"Dominico said he'd get you to babysit tonight!"

"Are we going to play football again?"

"Can we prank Dominico and Izabella?"

"Aww!" I say. "I missed you too! Yeah, he got me to babysit tonight. No, we aren't playing football but I have a good reason why and no, you cannot prank your cousins. That's why they asked me to come." I respond to both of them.

"Why aren't we playing football?" Jake asks. I hold up the Star Wars movie set.

"Your cousin here, has never, I repeat, never, seen Star Wars. I will let you take a minute to let that disturbing fact settle in." The twins gape at Dominico.

"You've never seen Star Wars?" Chris asks in awe.

"I didn't know it was a requirement for being a human being," Dominico mutters, growing agitated at their reactions.

"Now you know," I inform him. "SO we're going to have a movie night!"

"YAY!" the boys cheer, running upstairs to grab their blankets and pillows to bring down into the living room. Izabella comes down just as the boys are going up.

"Faye! Oh my gosh, thank you for coming! I thought I was going to die!" she says, giving me a hug. I laugh.

"No problem," I say with a smile. "Care for a little Star Wars?" I ask. She rolls her eyes at my nerdiness but agrees. I ask Izabella about her and James and her whole face lights up.

"Before you begin, let's keep this rated My-Big-Brother-Is-In-The-Room," Dominico says to her. She sticks her tongue out at him.

"It's not like we've done anything that you haven't wanted to do with Faye," she smirks. Dominico's face turns tomato red.

"So nothing going on with James?" I ask. "That's a shame." In my head all I can think is what is this that Dominico wants to do?

"I didn't say that," Izabella says, moving her eyebrows up and down.

"Dominico? Do you think you could leave hearing distance for a second? I want to hear the non-My-Brother-Is-In-The-Room rated version of this," I say, shoving him slightly into the kitchen. I hear him mutter something like 'Gil Bill and I need to have a serious talk.'

"Spill." I command when her brother is gone.

"Promise not to have the reaction of your normal sociopath self?" she asks. I make an offended face.

"I am a high functioning sociopath! Thank you very much!" I say, quoting Sherlock. She rolls her eyes. "Yes, I will react like a normal teenage girl," I promise, sticking my tongue out at her. She smiles and a blush rises into her cheeks.

"He kissed me," she says, excitedly. I let out a small squeal before covering my mouth.

"What? When? Where? One kiss? Multiple times? Don't just leave me hanging!" I demand answers. She laughs.

"He kissed me... four times. Once when he asked me out and then twice on our date and again after Jaz's Christmas Party," she says, a girly blush in her cheeks.

"Was he your first kiss?" I ask. She blushes and nods. I smile at her.

"Izabella! How dare you wait this long to tell me about your first kiss!" I scold her. She laughs.

"He's been so sweet too!" she continues. She gives me the tell-all version of her relationship for the next five minutes before Dominico comes in with the twins.

"If I have to listen to one more minute of you going on and on about your boyfriend from behind that door, I'm going to puke," Dominico proclaims, helping the boys lay out their pillows and blankets. Izabella's face turns red.

"You didn't have to listen," she mutters.

"It was worth it just to hear Faye's girly squeal," he states. I roll my eyes.

"Say what you will about my squeal. It was her first kiss! It's important!" I exclaim. The twins make 'EEEWWW!!!' noises.

"Girls have cooties!" Jake says.

"Not when they grow up," Izabella informs him. Jake blinks then turns to Dominico.

"Is that true?" he asks. Dominico opens his mouth to answer before I pipe in.

"Choose your words carefully because they could be your last." He swallows hard.

"Y-Yes. Girls lose their cooties when they grow up. But then they become insanely scary," he tells the kids.

"Agreed," Izabella and I both say with a nod. Chris looks up at me confused.

"If you're insanely scary then why does Dominico have a crush on you?" he asks me. I stare wordlessly at the kid.

"Who told you he had a crush on me?" I finally choke out. Dominico looks more shell-shocked then I am but Izabella is grinning evilly. Chris points a finger at Izabella. "She probably just wanted you to say it in front of me to embarrass me and her brother," I explain to Chris.

"So you don't have a crush on Faye?" Chris asks Dominico. I laugh at his question. Dominico still looks incapable of speech so I answer for him.

"No, Chris. He doesn't. He just wanted me to come over so you two 'little devils' wouldn't kill him and Izabella," I tell him. Chris and Jake still look confused but they shrug it off and start to snuggle down into their blankets on the floor. Izabella sprawls herself across the two-person couch and Dominico and I both settle down on the four-person couch, facing the television.

I start with a New Hope, going in the order the movies were made. Dominico actually seems really interested in it as the opening prologue scrolls down. He draped a blanket over us and I quietly answer his questions, trying not to disturb Izabella and the twins with his confusion.

"What are they called?" he whispers in my ear.

"Stormtroopers." I whisper back. He nods, looking back at the screen. I can't help but notice how close we are to each other. I can feel his gentle breath moving the strands of my hair slightly. His arm had softly wrapped its way around my waist when pulling me close to ask a question and he hadn't yet remembered it was there to pull it back yet. I can't help but get butterflies in my stomach from his touch. Ugh. Too much girliness for one day. First squealing at Izabella's story, now getting butterflies because of Dominico's gentle hold on my waist... that he probably didn't realize he was doing. I force myself to turn my attention back to the movie.

Halfway through The Empire Strikes Back my eyelids begin to get heavy. Chris and Jake are both halfway asleep and Izabella takes the duty of tucking them into bed once this movie is over so my babysitting duties are officially over. I feel myself start to nod off and my head slowly drops onto Dominico's shoulder. I jerk up as soon as I do.

"Sorry," I mumble, my cheeks turning red. He gives me an amused but encouraging smile.

"I told you at the party, I really don't mind," he tells me. I return his smile with a small one of my own.

"Thanks," I say quietly and allow my head to fall back onto his shoulder. This is a thing friends do, right? I mean, if it wasn't, he wouldn't be telling me it's ok. I'm sure I've fallen asleep on Ryan's shoulder once or twice... I think. Before I can think twice about anything, I feel my heavy eyelids close and my consciousness slip away.

**************************************************************

Ugh. The world is so cold. My eyes are shut tight and I subconsciously snuggle to the warm, heat-radiating presence beside me. I feel the presence grip me tighter and hold me close, as if it were cold too... wait a minute. My eyes fly open and I look up to see the Redwind's living room and the amazingly close up face of Dominico. His eyes had opened at the same time as mine. WHAT ON EARTH!

"AAAHHH!!!" I yell at the same time Dominico swears loudly, both of us jumping off the couch and standing a good three yards away from each other. "FOR THE LOVE OF HERMIONE AND RON! EXPELLIAMOUS! AVADA KADAVRA! LOCOMOTOR MORIS! FERRIVERTO!" I start pacing, ranting off Harry Potter spells, confused out of my mind as Dominico does the same with actual profanities. We go on for a solid 60 seconds before we catch onto the sound of laughter.

Both of us turn quickly to the sound of the laughter. On the other side of the room is Mr. Redwind, Mrs. Redwind, Izabella, Rosaline and Alec with a video camera in had all dying of laughter. We both exchange blank looks and red blushes.

"Th-that..." Izabella chokes out, "was hilarious!"

"Oh yes," Dominico growls at his sister. "It's hysterical," he says in a hard voice.

"Couldn't you just sprayed us with water... last night?" I question. What parents let their kids sleep in each other's arms willingly when they can stop it? Parents. Crap. I'm dead.

"Because!" Alec says, coming over to us, stopping the video recording and flipping through the past pictures. I look over his shoulder and almost die on the spot when I see Dominico and me on the couch. My head is on his shoulder and his arm is wrapped around my waist like I remember doing last night. However, my body is twisted to fit against his and his other arm is completely draped over me, holding me right up against him tightly. His head is laid on top of mine and the covering of the blanket can't hide the fact that our legs are intertwined.

My face burns red and I see Dominico's is just as crimson.

"And why couldn't you have woken us up?" Dominico asks.

"It's so cute!" Mrs. Redwind squeals. "When were you going to tell us you were together?"

"WE'RE NOT TOGETHER!" we both burst out. They all break down laughing again.

"Look how cuddly and close you two are," Alec points to the picture. Dominico and I exchange a look before both diving for the camera, trying to delete the photo. Alec just holds it above my head and away from Dominico and laughs.

"Don't bother, I've already sent it to everyone you know," he says.

"What?!" We both yell at him.

"Don't act like it's that big of a deal. I just sent it to Ryan, Jaz, Melissa, Will, James and Faye's parents." He says. I stare blankly at him. Is he serious?

"How did you get their phone numbers?" I question.

"You left your phone next to you on the couch. I went through your contact list." He says as if it is no big deal.

"Creep much?" Dominico asks him. He shrugs and shows us his phone where he sent a text to my dad with the picture attached.

'Aren't they cute?!?! Should I wake them?' the text asks. My dad sent back an equally mortifying text.

'THEY'RE ADORABLE!  I'm never going to let her live this down! Thanks for the pic! And it's up to you.'

"Thanks, Dad," I grumble.

"Why didn't you guys wake us up?" Dominico asks his parents. They shrug with knowing smiles.

"We thought it was common for a guy to fall asleep on the couch with his girlfriend," his dad says. Kill. Me. Now.

"I'm not his girlfriend. He just asked me to come over because he needed help getting the twins to behave and apparently they don't act up when I'm around," I say. Dominico's father gave his son a confused look.

"I thought you said that the twins were doing fine around you?" he asked. Dominico blanches before recovering.

"That doesn't mean I want to be alone with them!"

"So you were hiding behind your girlfriend?"

"I'm not his girlfriend." I put in. Rosaline laughs.

"Man, Dominico. She's so adamant about not being your girlfriend. I think you're losing your touch," she says, like Alec had said a similar thing a while back. Dominico's cheeks burn red.

"I-I think I'm going to take Faye home now," he says, grabbing my arm and all but dragging me out the door to his mom's car.

"That was humiliating," I say, voicing both our thoughts.

"Yes." He agrees simply. Then a look of remembrance comes over his face. "Did you need your movie set?" he asks. I shake my head.

"No, you haven't seen the ending. Keep 'em. Watch 'em. Love 'em, then you can give them back to me," I tell him. He smiles at me as we get in the car.

"You're very awake for 8 a.m.," he notes.

"Well, I slept well and had the living daylight scared out of me and was humiliated. Quite a recipe for waking me up. Honestly, they went through so much trouble," I say. He raises an eyebrow.

"You slept well?" he asks. I shrug.

"Sure. I was out before I even laid down," I lie. Maybe I fell asleep after taking in my... surroundings. But it was right around the time I laid down. And maybe he doesn't have to know that curled up next to him was the best feeling position in the world for me. It comes across sort of weird. "You?"

"Yeah," is his simple reply.

"Are you alright?" I ask, noticing his short replies. He nods, offering a small smile.

"I'm fine. Just not looking forward to going back," he says.

"I know what you mean," I groan. "Think happy thoughts," I advise him.

"Why? So I can go to Neverland?" he asks.

"That's the spirit!" I tell him. He smiles at me.

"You always seem to have a way to cheer me up," he states. I shrug.

"You seem to like nerdy children's movie references," I tell him.

"Do not!"

"Do so!"

"You're acting childish."

"You're acting childish." I mimic.

"Real mature, Faye,"

"Real mature, Faye," I copy.

"I think Dominico is hot," he says with a smirk.

"Eww..." I crinkle my nose. Dominico fakes offense.

"You're in denial," he claims.

"You're delusional."

"So how would you describe me then?" he questions, his mouth in a cocky grin.

"Ugh."

"You have to answer!" he says.

"That was my answer. Ugh."

"You're hurting my self esteem, Faye."

"Good. Your ego could use some levelling," I tell him.

"So could your amount of sarcasm," he retorts.

"My sarcasm is my gift to the world," I tell him with a cocky grin of my own.

"Does it have a gift return?" he asks. I playfully punch him. "No hitting the driver," he tells me.

"Says who?"

"Says those who always yell at the driver's driving. Hands to yourself, Missy," he says with a grin.

"That's not what you were doing last night," I comment. He immediately burns red. I burst out laughing. "This might be fun for me too!" I say with a grin.

"It's not funny," he grumbles. I raise my eyebrows at him and he looks at me for a long second before cracking a smile. "Ok, maybe it's a little funny. I seriously didn't mean to though," he concedes.

"I know," I tell him. "Gosh, I can't believe Alec seriously sent that picture to everyone we know," I say, leaning my head back and groaning.

"Torture for at least the next two weeks," Dominico agrees. We pull into my driveway and I sigh. I'm not looking forward to going inside.

"Just think that it can't be any worse than my family," he says reassuringly. I laugh.

"Maybe not," I say with a smile at him. He smiles back before quickly leaning over and pecking my cheek. My whole body feels the rush of his contact and I stare at him, speechless for a second before saying in a cracked voice,

"What was that for?" He seems amused by my reaction.

"For an awesome Star Wars sleepover," he says, still grinning. I laugh and get out of the car.

"See you soon," I say.

"I'm counting on it," he replies with the same jubilant smile as before. I run up the drive and into my house, my heart still thudding from his simple peck.

"So," I hear a voice when I step inside. "How was your sleepover?" my mom asks with an evil grin.

BETWEEN DOUBLE TROUBLE WITH A SHOT OF SUGAR AND HOW TO SPEND A SNOW DAY FOR DUMMIES

The Vampire's party.

My phone rings as I lazily finish another book that I picked up from the library. It was good but the ending made me want to sit here, screaming my lungs out.

"Hello?" I ask, picking up my communication device.

"Hey, Faye," Alec's voice comes nervously through the speaker. There's loud music thumping in the background with lots of talking mixed in. A party.

"Hey, Alec. What's up?"

"Umm... I was wondering if you could come pick me up," he admitted, sheepishly.

"Alec, are you drunk?" I ask him.

"Not really. I had a few drinks but I don't trust myself on the roads and I really want to get out of here," he says.

"Sure thing. Where are you?"

"You really don't know who's throwing the biggest party of the year tonight?" he asks with a degrading tone.

"Alec, pretend for a second that I'm as social as a cactus who doesn't go to parties," I say with an edge of annoyance. I hear his chuckle.

"Point taken. Vance Fredrick. Don't worry, there's enough people here that he won't see you. And the fact that he's probably in his bedroom with some unfortunate victim right now," he says.

"Poor soul. I'll be there... whenever I find his house," I tell him. Alec gives me directions which I carefully memorize. I call to my mom and say I have to go pick up a friend and she nods understandingly before allowing me to leave. I love my mom.

Once I get in a five mile radius of Vince's house it's not hard to locate. The pounding music is so loud, I'm surprised no one's called the cops. Although, calling the cops on the only son of the Fredrick family wouldn't be too wise of a decision. I am lucky and am able to park right in front of his house, instead of halfway down the street.

I hear whistling at me as I go inside and some drunken invites that I don't bother to acknowledge. Idiots. As soon as I step inside, I start looking for Alec. I steer clear of the dance floor set up in Vince's living room and catch the arm of a random guy walking by.

"Hey! Have you seen Alec Brandson around here?"

"Why do you need to know?" he demands, mercilessly glaring at me.

"I'm his ride home," I answer. His eyes soften a bit.

"I think I saw him out back a couple minutes ago," he says.

"Thanks," I tell him, giving a short wave and hurrying out the back door where he indicated. Outside was almost as packed as the inside. People were milling around and some were set up in games that I really didn't want-nor needed- to know the rules of. Multiple people I passed reeked of alcohol and I nearly gagged. Out of the corner of my eye I catch sight of Dominico's familiar mop of hair. He's got to know where his best friend is.

I head over to him, only seeing the back of his head until I reach him. Then I notice that he's busy. And when I say busy, I mean kissing Rosaline like a madman. I feel a stab at my stomach even though not one of these insane high schoolers has yet to drive a knife through my core. So I ignore it. Just as I walk away I hear both Rosaline and Dominico's confused voices.

"Faye?" I fake a smile at them, turning around. Was it just me or did Dominico's version of my name sound a little slurred?

"Hey," I say, blushing a little and wondering if I interrupted them.

"What are you doing here?" Rosaline asked, aghast.

"Alec called," I explain. "Is he around here somewhere?" They stare blankly at me, as if they can't comprehend my words. Just as Dominico looks ready to reply I hear Alec's voice coming from beside me.

"Hi, Faye," he says, smiling guiltily.

"Hi, ready to go?" I ask, with a tone that hinted sooner would be better than later. Alec is about to ask about my urgency when his neck snaps to something else. Dominico and Rosaline were making out again. And again with the stabbing pain in the core.

"It's rude to stare," I mutter. Alec's eyes flash multiple emotions in my direction before stepping in between his two friends and ripping them apart.

"I need to have a talk with my friend here," he says to me and Rosaline as he drags Dominico to a far deserted corner of the yard. Rosaline has a look of hurt in her eyes. Why is she hurt if she and Dominico were getting back together?

"H-hey, you alright?" I ask her. She looks at me for once without utter disgust. She just looks ready to cry.

"He's drunk," she says softly.

"Alec? He's not too bad. He had enough sense to call someone to pick him up," I say.

"No, not Alec. Dominico. He's completely out of it. I-I made him play a drinking game he really didn't want to and the only way to stay sober was to basically pour your guts out which is something he'd never willingly do, especially to strangers." She says in a shameful whisper.

"Why?" I ask, hoping I'm not being too pushy.

"I-I thought that if he'd kiss me again, he'd remember what we had before," she answers.

"Rosaline, did you have anything to drink?" I ask her.

"No, do I sound drunk?" she growls, harshly at me. I don't let her mood swing bother me and instead shake my head.

"No, you just normally don't say this much to me and I wanted to make sure you were doing it willingly," I tell her. She looks surprised, then soft, then angry again.

"Why did he have to meet you? He would have given me another chance if only you hadn't come along," she growls at me. I shake my head.

"Rose, Dominico doesn't like me that way," I tell her. She looks at me with tears in her eyes.

"You really don't see it, do you? The way he looks at you. The way he's happy around you. The only time he doesn't think about you is when he's drunk off his mind," she says sadly.

"Rose, please don't do that to him. Alcohol really messes up people's heads. I'm sure he doesn't think about me as much as you think. There are better ways," I say. "GAH! I sound like a mom." She looks at me with a small smile on her teary face.

"You know, any other teenage girl would start yelling and screaming if another girl told them that they got a guy drunk beyond reason just because he couldn't get her off his mind. Especially if she caught them... kissing."

"Yelling and screaming?" I say, wrinkling my nose. "I'm kind of tired tonight. Can I give you a rain check for the next time either Dominico or you participate in self-harming activities, like right now?" Yes, I know I sound like a freaking Health textbook. She shakes her head in a disbelieving way.

"You're so weird," I hear her say under her breath.

"Maybe a little," I say jokingly. I see Alec and Dominico coming back over to us. Looking between us I see something flash in Alec's eyes when he realized he left me alone and undefended against Rosaline. It looks like an apology to me.

"You two alright?" he asks, looking pointedly at me. I think he believes that Rosaline has the power to crush my soul with only a few words. I'm not sure if he's right or not yet. We both nod.

"Yeah," I say, "But can we head out now?" I look around at the party. "Sorta out of my element," I mumble.

"That's a good idea," I hear Rosaline agree with me. Alec looks surprised at this but nods too. Dominico is staring off into space.

"Is he..." I trail off, asking Alec and making weird signs around my head with my hands. He mouths back 'Oh yeah.'

"Don't let him drive," I warn Rosaline, a threatening tone to my voice. She nods and reaches for her keys when Alec intervenes.

"Actually, Rose and I need to have a little talk. Would you mind driving, Dominico? Sorry, for bringing you all the way out here, Faye," he says.

"It's fine, Alec and of course," I say. "But could you help me get him in the car?" I request a little quieter. They both nod and look at me sympathetically as if they can see my discomfort with this whole scene.

"Dominico," Alec says, clapping loudly next to his friend's ear. "Time to go, man. You're going to ride home with Faye." Dominico looks at me with an expression of confusion.

"What are you doing here?" he asks in a slurred tone.

"Designated Driver," I say, pointing to myself. He doesn't look like he completely understands. Of course he doesn't, he's out of his noodle right now. "You're going home, now," I say with authority to him.

"Just one more dri-"

"No. Rusty. Now." I say, speaking to him like he's a five-year-old. He opens his mouth to plead but I shoot him 'the look.' He just nods and follows me. Rosaline and Alec look impressed.

"I've had to pick up Ryan and Ray from some parties too," I explain.

"Ray?" Rosaline asks.

"Friend, best friend, boyfriend, ex, enemy," I say simply, steering Dominico in the right direction.

"Oh, sorry," is all she says. I shrug.

"That was over a year ago, he was a jerk anyway."

"Cheat?" she asks.

"Yup and sent me pictures of it. Not an ideal breakup," I say.

"And your revenge?" Alec asks.

"You think so low of me," I scoff, mocking offense.

"It's you. You had revenge," he says as if that explains it.

"I put up pictures of 'Chewbacca Roar Contest' all around Indianapolis with his phone number on it that said to leave your best impression and the winner will receive $200. He got over 1,000 random calls from strangers with people just screaming at him for the next month," I say. "I also redecorated his bedroom... with pictures of Taylor Lautner shirtless for when he brought his friends home."

Alec and Rosaline both laugh, shaking their heads. I see Dominico start to head back over to the bar so I quickly grab his arm and tell Alec and Rose that I'll see them at the Redwind's.

"Why are we leaving?" Dominico asks when we get in the truck.

"Because you're drunk."

"You just got there."

"I don't like parties."

"Then why did you come?"

"Alec called," I say. Dominico looks tense.

"Why?"

"He needed a ride," I answer.

"You like him," Dominico says simply.

"More so than I like you at the moment," I say.

"What?!" he actually seems shocked.

"I've always known you were stupid," I growl at him, "But really? Being pressured into drinking like this? It's just... UGH! You are truly a brainless potato."

"Brainless potato?" he asks. I don't reply. After a long, awkward pause he looks over at me, leaning over slightly and says in a husky voice. "Faye? I think you're beautiful."

"No, the alcohol in your noodle does," I snap in reply.

"I like you," he says in the same voice.

"Good to know you turn into a player when you're wasted," I roll my eyes.

"I'm in love with you."

"Yep. You're out of it. Totally loony. Drunk beyond reason. Hear that?"

"What?"

"The sound of your rational thought laughing at you from somewhere far away," I deadpan.

"You like me too," he says.

"Wrong. How is that what you got from me ragging on you?"

"You fell for me," he observes.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, player." I growl. I hated him right now. I hated how he was drunk. I hated how he was lying. I hated how he was telling the truth. I hated him.

"Kiss me," he says, leaning in.

"I'm driving right now, thank you very much," I snap.

"Then pull over."

"No."

"Pull over."

"No."

"Pull over! I'm gonna be sick!"

"Not in my truck you're not!" I quickly swerve to the side of the road. Dominico hurriedly opens up the door and starts chucking cookies.

This is not how I wanted to spend my Friday night.

A couple minutes later I get a call which I quickly pick up. Anything to block the sound of Dominico hurling out his guts.

"Faye? Why aren't you two home yet?" Alec asks.

"Because I'm sitting on the side of the room while your friend throws up every invention of food known to mankind. I'm bringing you home next time. If Rose wants to get him drunk then she can sit and watch him blow chunks." I growl, past my level of patience.

"Oops." Is Alec's only response. Dominico continues to hurl. How much did this guy eat?!

"I hate all three of you so much right now," I inform him.

"Umm... think of the positives!" Alec suggests.

"Name one, Mr. Sunshine," I challenge.

"You get to... spend alone time with him?"

"Try again."

"You... see the first hand results of drinking?"

"You're 0 for 2, Optimistic Ostrich."

"Opti- I'm not going to ask."

"Good choice."

"He didn't... say anything to you, right?" he asks, nervously.

"He obviously wasn't instilled in the belief that silence is golden," I hiss into the phone, unable to keep the hurt from my voice.

"Faye, I'm-"

"FAYE? SHOULD I GET IN THE TRUCK WITH THIS... I think it's pizza... ALL OVER MY CLOTHES?"

Alec breaks down laughing on the other side of the phone.

"I am going to kill you," I growl at the laughing vamp. "NO! YOU'RE WALKING HOME! IT'S NOT POOR RUSTY'S FAULT THAT YOU HAVE NO COMMON SENSE!!!"

"But Faye!"

"No buts, Mr. You're in big trouble," I say, causing Alec to laugh louder.

"Yes, Mommy," he teases me through the phone.

"You're next," I hiss. "Drunken idiot," is my farewell as I hang up the phone.

Of course, Dominico does still maintain his seat in my truck and we finish the rest of our journey with only the sounds of him hitting on me. I wouldn't be so bitter if it was any drunk but him. Why did the guy I want to say yes to have to not really mean it? Finally, I pull up his long driveway.

"Out. Now." I command. To my surprise, he obeys. Alec and Rose rush out as soon as we pull in to help me catch Dominico who is stumbling like an idiot.

"I'm sorry," Rose says quietly to me.

"Beat the crap out of either of these two and I'll forgive you," I mumble, causing her to smile. She seems to think my violence is amusing. She obviously hasn't ever seen me in action before.

"Can I choose which one?"

"I hate them both. If you beat the crap out of both of them, I'll be you're BFFL." I grumble.

"I can hear you," Alec deadpans.

"Drunken idiot," I hiss with a glare. Rosaline looks worried.

"Dominico got under your skin, didn't he?"

"His judgment obviously went on vacation to a distant island where there's no reception," I state.

"Are you mad at him?"

"Yes. But just because he was dumb enough to get drunk. He won't remember anything in the morning anyway. Call me when he's in the midst of his hangover, okay? I may hate him but I want to make sure he's alright." They both nod.

"Thank you, Faye," Rosaline says.

"I'm not doing it again so NO. MORE. DRINKING. Any of you. I will personally make you pay next time," I threaten.

"I don't want Chewbacca calling me at all hours of the day and night," I hear Alec mutter.

"Then take care of him and stay out of trouble," I say, heading to Rusty with a final farewell.

***************************************************************

I get a call from Rosaline at one in the afternoon the next day. Dominico has recovered but has a serious hangover. She asks if I can come over to which I begrudgingly comply. I don't want to see Dominico. Not after what he did and what he said, even if the booze was all that made him say or do anything. He still decided to drink.

Without realizing it, I'm in Rusty and halfway to the Redwind's before I can finish sorting my thoughts. This is too much of a routine trip for my own good. Making my way up the sidewalk, I knock on the door only to have it answered by none other than the blood-shot eyed warlock I've dreaded seeing.

"Hi," he says, his voice a little raspy.

"You look awful."

"Thanks, Faye. You look nice too." He says sarcastically. His pale skin was now with an unhealthy hue. His blood-shot eyes made his silver irises stand out and he looked like he was slightly dizzy. I ignore his unoriginal remark.

"How ya feelin'?" I ask.

"Like Loki, after the Hulk was through with him," he says, referencing the Avengers and causing me to smile. He seems relieved by the fact that I'm smiling at his corny nerd references. He lets me inside and takes my coat like a gentlemen.

"So... do you remember last night?" I ask him.

"Yes," he mumbles, sounding like he wished he didn't. "I'm so so so sorry," he says, looking me in the eyes.

"You were drunk and your brain was in la la land. I know you didn't mean anything you said," I assure him.

"That doesn't make it alright," he says. "any of the stuff I said... or did..." he trails off and I know he remembers what happened between him and Rosaline.

"The only part I am mad at you about, is your conscious decision." I tell him.

"What conscious decision?" he asks, confused.

"You shouldn't have been drinking in the first place," I tell him with a frown. He looks down, ashamed.

"I know. I'm sorry," he says. I sigh.

"Well, I'm sure this hangover's enough grief without me giving you any extra punishment," I observe.

"I'd actually prefer if you did," he says. "I-I can't believe I'd say that stuff or kiss her... at all really. I'm so sorry." I pat his shoulder, reassuringly.

"I know. I'm not going to say last night didn't happen because it did and I expect you to never do that again, but don't worry about me, Dominico. I've been around drunk teenagers before. I'm not the one with a killer hangover." He blinks at my short speech for a second before reaching over and wrapping me in a hug.

"You're amazing, Faye," he tells me.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm always amazing when I'm not beating you senseless for your stupidity," I joke. He chuckles. Just as we both pull back and regain our normal positions, Rose and Alec come down the stairs. Dominico glares at Rose so hard, you'd have thought he possessed laser vision. They both greet me sheepishly to which I greet them back with a raised eyebrow as they tiptoe around me.

"Care to explain why they suddenly love and respect you like you're an ultimate being of supreme power?" Dominico asks me, when they sneak into the kitchen.

"I am an ultimate being of supreme power," I respond cockily to which he just laughs.

"Fair enough." He says with a smile. Dominico and I spend the next 3 hours playing Lego Harry Potter on the X box. You'd think I would be the competitive one of the two of us but no. Dominico is very possessive over his Ron character. Dominico sighs halfway through one of the levels.

"What's wrong?" I ask him.

"I wish I had just asked you to come over and do this last night instead of going to that stupid party," he says.

"Hindsight's 20-20," I tell him. "But if you ever don't want to go to a party, I'm always up for Lego Harry Potter videogames." He smiles at me warmly.

"I don't deserve you," he says.

"Are you talking to me or Ron?" I ask suspiciously.

"Some things will never be known," Dominico says with a sly smirk. And I laugh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 410 27
"I know what I'm going to do" I said as soon as we arrived into her room. She shut the door and looked at me, determination in her eyes, "yes, we wil...
654K 12.6K 66
"I was reaching for stars that didn't exist, caught up in the fantasies born of willful hope. I threw myself in the path of fate because I wanted to...
92.5K 1.5K 13
It was a couple years after the Battle of Hogwarts. A lot of people were finally getting over their shock of the war. Well, most. There were still pl...
7.3K 227 14
𝐍𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦, 𝐡𝐚𝐝 expected their relationship to bloom the way it had. They had very little in common, never paid mu...