The Green Ones

By LostDMBFiles

An Earth rampant with telekinesis results in isolated city-states forced to live beneath protective domes. Am... More

Episode 1, Part 1
Episode 1, Part 2
Episode 1, Part 3
Episode 1, Part 4
Episode 1, Part 5
Episode 1, Part 6
Episode 1, Part 7
Episode 1, Part 8
Episode 1, Part 9
Episode 1, Part 10
Episode 1, Part 11
Episode 1, Part 12
Episode 1, Part 13
Episode 1, Part 14
Episode 1, Part 15
Episode 1, Part 16
Episode 1, Part 17
Episode 1, Part 18
Episode 1, Part 19
Episode 1, Part 20
Episode 1, Part 21
Episode 2, Part 1
Episode 2, Part 2
Episode 2, Part 3
Episode 2, Part 4
Episode 2, Part 5
Episode 2, Part 6
Episode 2, Part 7
Episode 2, Part 8
Episode 2, Part 9
Episode 2, Part 10
Episode 3, Part 1
Episode 3, Part 2
Episode 3, Part 3
Episode 3, Part 4
Episode 3, Part 5
Episode 3, Part 6
Episode 3, Part 7
Episode 3, Part 8
Episode 3, Part 9
Episode 3, Part 10
Episode 3, Part 11
Episode 4, Part 1
Episode 4, Part 2
Episode 4, Part 3 & 4
Episode 4, Part 5
Episode 4, Part 6
Episode 4, Part 7
Episode 4, Part 8
Episode 4, Part 9
Episode 4, Part 10
Episode 4, Part 11
Episode 4, Part 12
Episode 5, Part 1
Episode 5, Part 2
Episode 5, Part 3
Episode 5, Part 4
Episode 5, Part 5
Episode 5, Part 6
Episode 5, Part 7
Episode 5, Part 8
Episode 5, Part 9

Episode 5, Part 10

427 33 16
By LostDMBFiles

The buzzer sounds. I tense for a long few seconds. Finally, the announcer’s voice belts across the court. “Well done, each and every one of you. That concludes the placement portion of your testing. In five minutes your braid bands will illumine with one of the five corresponding barrack colors. At that time please make your way through the appropriately lit exit where you will be ushered to your new barracks. Masa Academy welcomes you all!”

I relax, an arm still around Zorrah. Tilting my head back, I let the rain run off the top of my head and gently slap my face.

Olin rolls his disabled probes to the side and embraces the two of us. “Masa may not be my dream,” he waits for me to look him in the eyes, “but there’s no place I’d rather be right now than with you guys.”

I’m grateful the rain conceals the tears I let slip. We’re alive, we’re together and we’re family—if only we can stay that way. I gulp down my final fear in an optimistic effort to envision our braid bands glowing in solidarity. I don’t even care which color, as long as they’re all the same.

Olin makes a tickling jab at Zorrah’s side. She breaks away from the hug, screaming and dodging his repeated attempts.

In their absence I focus on Neca and Yetic. Like two jaguars stalking the same prey, they watch each other out of the corner of their eyes, daring and warning at the same time. I sigh. No moment of happiness in my life ever comes without cost.

A separate movement catches my attention, and I realize I’ve nearly forgotten Cera. I decide to let the boys wait. “Cera.” kicking probes out of the way, I clear a path.

She smiles at me while using one of the orbs as a seat.

I do the same and sit beside her. “What ever the braid bands say, you’ve made at least three friends here today.”

She nods. “Thank you kindly, and right back at you.” She squeezes the end of her braid, wringing the rain out of it. “I know the odds aren’t good, but I rather hope we get placed together. I wish now I would have made an effort to get to know you and your brother in the market.”

I shake my head. “I doubt I would have responded well. I tend to take everything too seriously.”

“Yeah, well, not that it’s any consolation, but sometimes life asks for a whole lot of serious. It’s not a bad trait to have. It can be a cheche to develop.”

I smile and we lock eyes. Despite having just met, and my wretched ability to make friends, I feel Cera and I understand each other. “Thanks.”

“For what?”

“For introducing yourself.”

“Hey, no problem. Thanks for taking me in.” She points toward Neca and Yetic with her chin. “I suppose you better take care of the bristly pair before they eat each other.”

I sigh and attempt to gather enough nerve to stand.

Cera places a hand on my shoulder and leans close. “I hope I’m not out of place by asking this.”

I know what she’s thinking. I don’t want her to ask, but I don’t blame her either. I would do the same thing in her place. “Go ahead.”

“Which one are you with?”

I’ve no idea what the future will bring, or if any of us will end up in the same barracks. There’s no reason for me to complicate the matter by giving coy answers to the only girl I’ve met who I could actually befriend. And there is no reason for me to ignore the cold, hard facts.

I take a long look at the two of them. Neca is pretending to stare at nothing in particular. Yetic is unabashedly staring directly at me. “I’m with Yetic. We made a deal to couple.”

Cera whistles through her teeth. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks.” I make no effort to move. It’s one thing to speak the words out loud. Another entirely to act upon them.

“Well, I better not hold you. I suppose it isn’t really any of my business.” Cera stands.

I stand with her, and we grip forearms. “Don’t worry, I welcome your friendship.” I flip my braid onto my back and breathe deeply. “I guess there’s no more time for stalling.” With confident strides, I head toward Yetic first.

He opens his mouth to speak.

Rather than listen to his complaints, I wrap my arms around him and rest my chin on his shoulder. “Thanks for your help today. We’re going to make a great team.” I give him a squeeze before backing away.

His jaw is slack, rain running down his face.

“Just let me say a few things, and I’ll be right back.”

He nods obediently.

I dismiss myself, taking a much less confident approach to Neca. I stop a pace shy and stammer.

He turns and looks at me, surrender in his eyes.

After taking another deep breath I gather my thoughts. “Please tell me you didn’t register just for me.”

“I can’t let you be with him.” He speaks barely loud enough to hear over the rain.

I step closer. “It’s not your decision.”

“Where do I remember hearing that before?”

“You had to honor the deal you made with Yetic, and you did. Now I’m going to do the same.”

“Earlier,” he runs his hand along his braid, “I didn’t want to tell you how I felt. I didn’t want to cloud your decision to register.”

“Don’t.” I cut him off. “Don’t say it now either. Don’t you get it? We can’t.”

“Why not?”

“It’s too late.”

“Not if we’re placed together, in the same barracks.” He pleads.

I shake my head and close my eyes. “There’s no future in it. Immortals aren’t even allowed to couple.”

“Oh so that’s it. You don’t feel anything for Yetic, so the arrangement is that much cleaner and easier.”

“Yes!” I bite my lip and try to slow my breathing.

“I’m sorry, Calli. I’m not going to make this easy on you. I’m not going away.”

“Please,” I can no longer contain the tears, “don’t do this to me. Don’t put me in this place.”

“You put yourself in this place.” He extends his arm, gesturing toward the stadium surrounding us. “I’m trying to get you out.”

“Then you don’t love me at all.” I turn and stomp off toward the others. No sooner had the words left my mouth, I knew they weren’t true. Why else would Neca be here?

“Green!” Zorrah blurts out the color. Like a spark on dry kindling, the court bursts to life with a thousand masazin asking each other their color. I sprint to join the group.

“You’re green too!” Olin swings Zorrah in his arms then freezes when he sees me.

I’m facing them. They can’t see the color of my band. Neither can I. I’m too afraid to turn and let them know. How could something as trivial as a braid band come in between us?

“You’re Green.” Yetic puts his arm around me. Dipping his chin, he flips his braid across his chest and looks the other way.

“You too. Green.” I’m glad for it. I’m exultant. The price I’ve paid, that I’m still paying. It’s all been worth it.

“Cera!” Zorrah barks. “Turn around.”

I watch as Cera does so.

“Green! Can you believe it? Two thousand minus six!” Zorrah sags as soon as she says it.

We all realize there is one person unaccounted for, a dark-skinned masazin whose color we haven’t confirmed.

“Neca?” Zorrah says his name out loud.

The rest of us look in different directions. I’m sure I’m the only one who sees him walking away under cover of steady rain. Even across the length of the court, I know it’s him. With a heavy heart I watch as he leaves the court through the exit illumined green.

END OF SEASON ONE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

216 37 28
Two teenagers embark on an adventure as they try to stop their government from ending the world. Cattleya,17 year old girl and a loner in high schoo...
1.2K 42 43
Imagine a world in the future where women can acquire superpowers simply by taking a hormone. Imagine that this hormone doesn't work on men. Now, int...
271 35 19
There are a million possibilities. Possibilities that we don't get to travel. Possibilities that we don't get to see. Possibilities that can cause ev...
16 0 6
{ON-GOING} In a modern society. 6 abnormal young teenagers all from different parts of the world, are unexpectedly united together by 6 different eme...