Dance of the Moons

By tmnprockon

Sequel (sort of) to The Art of Mending Memories. Leila is a witch living in a house with an over protective... More

Dance of the Moons
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 2

700 32 4
By tmnprockon

Chapter 2

            The sun’s brightness stung my eyes as I left the library.  I blinked and concentrated on forming a protective layer over my eyes, like sunglass contacts.  When I opened my eyes again the sun was no longer blinding me.  Being a witch had its perks from time to time, I thought smugly.

            I had been at the library, studying for my test and working on a paper.  My mind was still with those thoughts, and it took me a moment to register the familiar (although not especially welcome) face across the street.  He was talking to someone I didn’t know, and he didn’t seem to have seen me.  Quickly I ran back into the library, hoping he hadn’t noticed me.

            I was so not in the mood to deal with David.

            Still, I couldn’t help but wonder: why was David there in the first place?  I had seen him a few times around campus, but I checked the records (okay, I manipulated the office aid into telling me, but that’s basically the same thing, right?) and he wasn’t a student here.  He could just be visiting friends, but most of the werewolves were day students, commuters, and if he could see them at home, why bother visiting?

            Not that it mattered.  I didn’t care why he was on campus.  He could do whatever he liked.

            I peeked out a window.  David was still there, his dark hair looking like it had copper highlights in the sun.  For a werewolf, he wasn’t bad looking; he as just annoying.  I tried probing his aura, to see what I could read.  After all, he was on public property.  That meant I had a right to know why he was there, right?

            Okay, so maybe I was just nosy.  Most witches were.

            Aura reading is like martial arts: it takes a long time and much practice to advance, and some people never become masters.  Although I had been practicing for years, I wasn’t near mastery, or even proficiency.  The easiest to read was a person’s present aura.  With more concentration (and skill) the past and present could be read.  The future aura is generally vague and inconstant, as the future is always in motion.  The present sometimes changes too.  The past aura rarely does; the only times it does change is when a person’s feelings toward the past change.  This is most common after a grieving period ends.  The past is the hardest aura to read, because it is the one most heavily guarded by one’s subconscious mind.

            Humans, especially young humans, were like open pop up books.  Only a handful ever proved to be a challenge.  Shifters were more difficult, some more than others.  Horse Shifters, whom witches historically got along best with, were the most open to aura readings.  Witches’ auras could never be read.  Before anything else, even before leaving the house, a witch child learns to protect the mind.  Our power is much more in our thoughts than our limbs.

The ease with which one reads auras varies, much like height is one a wide range.  Some witches were gifted in certain areas.  When I was younger it was determined I was gifted in aura reading, and had been studying that more so than the other areas.  I read tea leaves well too, and often read the leaves of people whose tables I clean up after at the café.

But David was not open.

I stared out the window at him, focusing my energy and attention at reading his aura.  It was hidden but I could sense it was there, almost as if a wall were blocking me.  This happened with some Shifters.  All I could sense was change.  David’s aura itself wasn’t changing, but it gave off a vague sense that David’s life was heading towards alternations.

Disappointed that I had such a hard time reading his aura, I stepped away from the window.  I had to get to class, but I didn’t want to risk David seeing me, even though walking past him would be the quickest way.  I decided to take the back door to the library.  It was out of my way, but I would avoid any awkward confrontations with the wolf.

Just in case, I pulled out my notebook to review my notes.  Not only would this help me get last minute cramming for the test, but it was a good excuse to avoid any eye contact with anyone.  I had blinked the shades onto my eyes, and sometimes people noticed.

My feet turned onto a path.  I didn’t need to navigate with my eyes; I was more skilled than that.  I knew I wouldn’t run into anything.

“You should watch where you’re going.  You might run into someone.”

I stopped at the familiar voice and looked up, a glare already in place.  David was smirking at me, standing directly in my path, and too close for comfort.  It dawned on me that I had only ever spoken to him with a counter between that at the café, although I had seen him on campus before.

“I would never run into something,” I stated confidently.

He smiled, amused by his own little joke. “You almost ran into me.”

“You deliberately stepped into my path,” I spat vehemently.  I sensed he was playing a game again, just as he had at the café, and it was in his court again.  I wanted to step around him, but that would be submitting to defeat.  I had to make sure he was the one who moved out of my way.

“Nothing escapes your eyes, does it?” he teased.

His light tone bothered me, and I had to refrain from clenching my jaw.  Pretending I wasn’t bothered, I smiled. “Nothing escapes any witches’ eyes.  See, Shifters may have the numbers, but witches have the power.”

His brown eyes twinkled mischievously.  “You certainly have power over me.”

I stiffened.  Something clicked…but no, it couldn’t be…he wouldn’t…

“Are you flirting with me?” I demanded.

His smile widened to show his teeth, slightly more pointed than a normal human’s.  “Depends.  Is it working?”

My chin lifted. “Not at all.”

David laughed quietly, unnerving me further.  “Well, in that case, I better step up my game.”  He turned slightly and help out his arm to me.  “May I escort you to class?” His tone almost sounded serious, but his expression gave away the heavy undertone of mockery.

“Absolutely not,” I snapped, knowing I needed to gain the upper hand in this game soon. “I don’t like the idea of a Shifter knowing where I’m headed.”

“What’s to stop me from following you?” His arm dropped to his side.

I smiled, seeing my change. “Who.”

“Excuse me?”

“Not what, who.  Who’s to stop you.  And the answer is me.  Now get out of my way.”  I let a smug expression fall on my face.  I know I had won this round.

David stared at me for a moment before smiling. “Well played.  I suppose that’s the all-powerful witch in you speaking?”

“Keep standing there and you’ll find out.”

The corner of his mouth was upturned in a private smile, humored by another private joke of his.    Finally, he bowed, his final trick of mockery. “Till a later date, my lady Leila.”  He turned to the side, his arm outstretched, allowing me to pass by it.  Stiffly, I walked past him, aware of his eyes following me intently.  I resisted turning back at him.  Somehow, I could sense that was what he wanted.

------------------------------------------------

Well, there it is!  I had a lot of fun writing this chapter.  I hope you all liked it!  I'm sorry it took me so long to upload.  I was on vacation.  Anyway, thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 173 33
'Just Silly Little Games, that's all this life is' Three worlds, heartbreak and a whole lot of sweet revenge. Leila, is a vampire slayer. It isn't gl...
50.3K 2K 26
A little girl had it all then lost it all. A rogue wolf killed her family and with the graces above she managed to escape from death. The wolves tha...
139K 7.6K 43
*Sequel to CREATURES OF THE NIGHT / Cannot be read as a standalone* It's been three months since Elias' body went missing, and without him, the shift...
521 44 35
Four years. It's been four years since Mason has disappeared. Four years that Alaina has led their pack. Four years of raising their daughter. Four y...