SPIRITBORNE | Book 1 of the...

By kv_wilson

An eternal rift between humans and beasts is growing even deeper. Skye's ancestors were brought to life by a... More

TRAILER & PREFACE
PRONUNCIATION & CHARACTERS
PROLOGUE
PART ONE: LYCAN
1: THE STRANGER
2: BLACKOUT
3: THE WHITE WOLF
4: TRANSFORMATION
6: CAPTIVES
7: FERALS
8: COVENANT'S LAIR
9: THIRTEEN
10: SUNDOWN
11: SEJKA
12: THE RITUAL
13: ABANDONED
14: STALKER
15: YEVA'SI
LINKS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

5: THE CLAN

4.2K 327 393
By kv_wilson

Image: Wolfpack in Snowstorm by Don Li-Leger

Soundtrack: Strength Of A Thousand Men by Two Steps From Hell

***

"Lauren?"

A low grunt follows from within the stranger's tent. I shrug off the feeling of being watched; there are others here in the middle of nowhere, but since Lauren's the only one I've met, I long for her company. I need answers.

I stalk through the snow, suddenly aware that I'm barefoot. I wince as the icy tendrils seep through my skin, but to my surprise, it actually feels rather nice.

"Can you tell me what's going on?" I ask uncertainly. "Where are my aunt and uncle?"

The flaps of Lauren's tent fly open and she emerges so hastily she almost tumbles head-over-heels into the underbrush. The ghostly woman rubs her eyes against the midday sun, stretching and releasing an unladylike yawn. I frown, waiting patiently for her response.

Lauren clears her throat. "Adolphus? You there?"

She blinks a few times, scanning the campsite. Because that's what it is; there are multiple tents set up in the clearing. Poplars and aspens frame this little abode, deep in the wilds of Alberta. A large fire pit rests in the centre, with a full-fledged roasting apparatus set in the dead centre. I stifle a shiver at its implications.

A strong baritone reaches my ears. "Alpha? What is it?"

Alpha?

An elderly man emerges from a nearby tent. His skin is caramel and his eyes are a soft chestnut. A well-trimmed grey beard blankets his jaw. He looks to be in his sixties or seventies, but he shows no sign of fatigue. In contrast, Lauren looks like she hasn't slept in days. She has bags under her eyes, and her silvery hair is dishevelled.

"I'd like you to look after Skye for a while." Lauren turns to face me, surveying my wrinkled clothing. "She's finally awake."

My mouth drops open. Hey, it's not like I had a choice in the matter.

I blink as the elder approaches me, extending a hand and giving me a warm smile. I offer my hand and he grasps it in both of his large, calloused ones. His eyes crinkle at the edges as he regards me with a strange kind of admiration as if he's known me for years. I flick my eyes towards Lauren, forcing myself not to shrink away from the immense figure.

"My name is Adam Adolphus," the man tells me, "Beta of the Sheep River Clan."

Ah, so that's where we are. Sheep River. At least I'll be able to find my way back to the city. Hopefully.

"Wait. Adolphus?" I ask with incredulity as it dawns on me. "That's Margo's maiden name..." I glance up, taking in his dark skin and kind, caramel eyes. "Wow, it's been ages. Last time I saw you was—"

"At the wedding."

Mr. Adolphus extends a hand and I grasp it in a hasty handshake.

My great uncle. I thought he'd been living abroad all these years, unable to come for a visit. But he'd been right here the whole time. Out in the woods, that is.

Margo's dad seems pretty old-school. But maybe he's mature enough to answer all of my questions since Lauren has made it clear she doesn't have the time to do so herself. Plus, it's nice to see another familiar face amongst all the strangers.

I turn back towards the alpha and Lauren meets my eye for a split second, her azure gaze cold and unwavering. Then she whips around and peels back the folds of her tent, disappearing once again into its depths. I smooth my hair back from my eyes, adjusting my toque. I dab at my glistening eyes with the sleeve of my sweatshirt.

"Is she okay?" I whisper to the gentleman who now stands beside me, his hands clasped together at his waist and his mouth twisted into a slight frown.

"Of course. She does that sometimes."

My great uncle beams as he squints at the sky, extending a calloused hand to shield his chestnut eyes from the sun's unyielding midday light. I follow his gaze; the moon – though scarcely visible at this time of day – is still full. I pretend to stroke my upper lip, hiding a smile as he continues.

"So, what do you think? Ready to switch gears and live in the forest with us?" he jokes.

I snort, unsure whether or not to answer him sarcastically. "I don't believe this," I tell my relative, stretching my arms wide to indicate the campsite and all in it.

"I know." He smiles kindly. "It's hard for me to handle sometimes, too. But your father will be ecstatic to be able to see you again."

I glance up at him, my brows furrowing. "Actually...my dad died," I manage to choke out. Seven years and I still can't say it. "He and my mom went on this hiking trip—"

Mr. Adolphus intakes a sharp breath. "I'm not sure how much Alpha and the others have told you, so—"

"Next to nothing, actually. I can shapeshift. That's all I really know at this point. What else is there?" I demand, crossing my arms over my chest. "And why did you speak about my dad as if he's still...?" I swallow, unable to finish.

My great uncle grins with a glint in his eye. "You're not an orphan, Skye. Your father is still alive. I've wanted to tell you this for ages—"

"You must have me confused with someone else."

He hardly knows me. He's been away for so long, he doesn't even know my dad died. I scrunch my eyes tight, holding the tears at bay.

"He's...alive. Always has been," Mr. Adolphus says softly. "I spoke with him on the phone just last week."

I force an awkward – borderline hysterical – laugh. "It can't be real. None of this is real."

"Ah, but it is," he insists.

Alright, I'll bite. But sooner or later I'll come to my senses and figure out what's real and what's not.

"Are Margo and David here? Is...is my dad here?"

My great uncle – if that's who he really is – clears his throat. "They're dealing with a lot at the moment. As for your dad—"

I groan. "So they just left me here?"

"For the time being. You're in good hands." Mr. Adolphus smiles. "Lauren is strict but she cares for us all. Now—"

"Pinch me."

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not a Lycan, or whatever she called it. My dad died years ago. This is getting old," I grunt.

Mr. Adolphus raises his eyebrows. "You are a Lycan, as is your father and all of us in this clan. Watch my face if you want proof."

My great uncle closes his eyes, opening his mouth in a grimace. I suck in a breath as his canines elongate right before my eyes. His teeth grow to razor-sharp points and when his chestnut eyes reopen, they're a shade of dark topaz.

I bite back a curse. "I think I might believe you."

"Good," he says, resuming his former appearance. "That was the beginning of my Shift."

"Shapeshifting," I breathe. "Magic."

"In a sense, yes. Now, if you'll stop interrupting me," he begins, peering into my eyes, "your dad isn't in Canada at the moment. He's been working in London."

My mouth drops open. "London, England?"

"Precisely. I expect your guardians would like to tell you about it, though. They know more about the situation than I do."

"Why didn't they tell—"

"They intended to give you a chance to finish school before you were thrust into this dangerous world."

"So...they lied," I snarl, crossing my arms and turning my back on him. "They told me my dad fell to his death in the mountains. That's a big fat lie. I can't believe they'd do that to me, even for my own safety."

But they did. They led me to believe – for nearly eighteen years – that I was a normal human being. When really, I've been a shapeshifter all this time. What is wrong with these people?!

Mr. Adolphus lowers himself to the ground and sighs as he leans against a nearby poplar. His easy posture reminds me of someone, but I can't quite place it. Margo? No...

I sit cross-legged in front of my great uncle, watching his expression intently and fumbling with the hole in the knee of my jeans. When I awoke this morning, I was naked save for a thick blanket draped across my slight frame. My clothing had been folded into a neat little pile inside my tent. I don't remember undressing, either. It's as if someone had intentionally removed my clothes, knowing that I'd have torn them to shreds otherwise. How thoughtful.

"It was your father's decision, in fact. He did it to protect you. You were to be raised by my daughter and her husband. You were not to see me, Lauren, or even your father."

"I..." I stumble on my words. "How has my dad ever protected me? He hasn't been here." I bite my lip.

"It's true. He hasn't," Mr. Adolphus admits, "but at the same time, everything he has done has been for you, and for our race."

"How?"

"Adolphus!" Lauren's voice calls out. We both whip around to face the alpha. "Her lessons begin now."

"Lessons?" I grimace, remembering that I probably won't be back in class for a while. Not after something like this.

Mr. Adolphus clears his throat. "Let it be known: I still don't agree with this decision—"

"It's not your decision to make," she snaps, turning on her heel and heading back to her tent.

My great uncle sighs, his gaze flicking towards mine. "Lauren would like you to hunt with us. But it's still too early to—"

"H-hunt?" My heart comes to a standstill.

"We'll only be out for an hour or so. It'll be more of an excursion for you than anything else. A chance for you to get your sea legs, so to speak."

My mouth falls open once again, and I sputter, "Um, I don't think I can do that. I only just found out what I am! I can barely keep from blacking out!"

"Slow down!" Mr. Adolphus chuckles. "Well, she didn't give you much choice. She wants you to be ready."

"Ready?" I narrow my eyes. "Ready for what, exactly?"

"She didn't say. But we can go at our own pace. I can help you get acquainted with the world of Lycans."

My father could have helped me with that if he hadn't been absent for the last seven years of my life. Or even David and Margo. But instead, they'd decided to lie to me. Big, fat, ugly lies with rotten cherries on top...

"Okay. Sure." I shrug, struggling to keep my voice from shaking. What is there to lose? I'm at their mercy, anyway.

My blood curdles with anxiety, but the warm smiles on the faces of my clan members begin to ease my heart.

"Welcome, newbie." A young man in his early twenties smiles sweetly. He then turns to Mr. Adolphus, adding, "We ready?"

Raising his eyebrows, my great uncle breaks into a reluctant smile. "Same as last time, boys. Head past the river and on towards Bluerock. We'll trail behind."

The man nods curtly. "Will do."

***

I stumble through the woods, trying desperately to make my four limbs move in sync. Mr. Adolphus trots along beside me, ever patient as I get used to my new body. His fur is dark brown with a tiny spot of white above his left nostril. When in canine form, I see him as a dusky grey, like just about everything else.

Mr. Adolphus' eyes glint with the same intensity as that of his human form, and yet, they seem all too familiar. As if I'd seen those very irises deep within one of my hazy, messed-up dreams. You can do it, the eyes seem to say. I hope he's right.

The other Lycans streak ahead, blurs of grey and white against a backdrop of snowdrifts and frosted trees. They bolt through the woods like lightning and their paws skim across the ground as if they're walking on air. The snow catches on my own feet, pulling them down into the thick white blanket beneath.

Mr. Adolphus and I are soon left behind. My heart thumps in steady pulses, pumping adrenaline through my arteries. My breathing grows ragged, but I force my body onward, filled to the brim with the invigoration of the hunt. I breathe in the icy air and let it go in a big whoosh of fog. My eyes are locked on the forest floor, careful not to snag my paws on the ominous roots under an innocent blanket of snow.

Eventually, the Lycans at the head of the pack come back our way, dragging some kind of furry animal behind them. Mr. Adolphus and I turn and follow them back to the campsite. My stomach lurches at the sight of the deceased deer, its lifeless eyes staring skyward as if witnessing its spirit departing from this world. I shudder.

So much for joining the hunt. It's already over and done with.

Once we've returned, the others Shift back to human form and redress. I head to my tent, hastily pulling my sweatshirt and jeans on in private before joining them.

The others chat enthusiastically as the deer's body is roasted on a spit. Each of them steals glances at me and then looks away, embarrassed. Some of them are children, but most are young adults. They seem to range in age from late teens to sixties. My great uncle appears to be the oldest. 

Lauren clinks her spoon against her plate a few times to get our attention. "Tonight we welcome the alpha's daughter, Skye Matthews!" she announces, handing me the first plate of venison. I accept it awkwardly, nearly toppling it onto the snow as the clan erupts into applause. A few of them shout their welcomes. My cheeks redden at the attention.

"Alpha's daughter?" I whisper in confusion when Mr. Adolphus returns with his share of dinner.

"Lauren leads the Sheep River Clan, but your father is the head of the revolution itself. David will tell you more."

Skye Matthews, Alpha's daughter. Ever since David and Margo had "adopted" me, I'd been known as Skye Hobbes. My uncle hadn't elaborated on why our surname didn't match the ones on my parents' graves. I'd always assumed David had elected to alter his name to 'Hobbes' because it sounded like a scholarly surname to match his career as a chemistry prof at the University. Or maybe it was because he liked Calvin and Hobbes comics a bit too much.

I press my great uncle for more details, but Mr. Adolphus awards me with a sad smile, pretending to be engrossed with his meal. I shake my head, glaring at him.

Fine. I'll wait for David and Margo, then. And they're sure going to get an earful.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 1.5K 77
Lyra's life hasn't been ideal. A powerful spellcaster, she's been on the run from her past. Until she is recruited into the legendary Guardians, the...
4.3K 441 51
In the wake of the winter formal, secrets are coming to light. The girl who would be a mage has set herself on a path to learn the magic of the Magi...
6.4K 296 12
•𝙁𝙪𝙣 𝙁𝙖𝙘𝙩: ➪𝙇𝙪𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙋𝙖𝙞𝙢𝙤𝙣 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙧𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙣𝙨𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙚𝙖𝙥𝙤𝙩 𝙖𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙖 𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙙𝙖𝙮, 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙣 �...
43K 676 16
DELULU & GUILT PLEASURE