The Werewolf's Mate (Book 1)...

By fictionowl

[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 1] {Currently being rewritten; to be removed.} This book is part of a series and mus... More

Marcana Pack
Electricity
The Boy I Never Noticed
Intense Attraction
The First Move
Three Days
Ezra's Mate
Baby Steps
An Ally In An Enemy
The 'Ex' Factor
Jace's Secret
Monster
An Enemy Lurks
A Tough Decision
You Don't Understand
Gone
Aftermath
Engagement Mark
Mating Mark
Trespasser
Heated Passion
The Final Decision: Friend or Foe
Jaxon West
West
Symptoms
Transition (Part I)
Challenge
Sanctioned
Jaxon's Concern
Transition (Part 2)
A New Perspective

Trouble at the Borders

14K 577 85
By fictionowl

Sky's POV

"Asher, what the fuck!" I shouted quickly pulling away from Jace grabbing up the sheets and throwing it over my mate's naked body. No one was to see Jace naked but me. Those fuckers who kidnapped him had already seen enough.

Wiping my hand on the sheets and pulling on my basketball shorts I had discarded earlier, I shrugged my shoulders catching a glimpse of Jace's perplexed expression as we listened to Asher cry out mumbling things to himself. I motioned for Jace to stay where he was and walked out into the hallway to see Asher sitting on the floor facing the wall as he rubbed his eyes.

"I need holy water for my eyes! I'll never be able to un-see that!" he cried.

This was Asher's true personality. He might have been my on again off again ex with whom I had a lot of sex; he might be a submissive werewolf but he was also a very valued member of our pack. His parents were expert hunters and trackers and it was only natural he received those abilities. In addition to being one of the best hunters and trackers we currently have in our high ranks, he was also quite a good warrior wolf.

Submissive wolves in our pack, though submissive in nature, were still trained and treated with the respect we show our dominants.

"Why are you here?" I asked and Asher stopped his mumbling, cracking one eye open to look at me. Assured now that I was somewhat dressed, he sighed and got to his feet.

"We've been trying to call you...on your phone." He said and continued when I motioned for him to do so. He scratched his head. "As of late, I've been picking up a scent around our borders. At first I thought it was nothing so I said nothing. But then...I caught a familiar scent about two days ago...Jessop...I think he's trying to sneak past our borders."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier, Asher?" I scolded heading back into my room and over to my drawers where I pulled out a pair of jeans and a shirt before stuffing them in a bag. By now, Asher was in my room and he was giving me that look that said I was an idiot.

"There is a naked guy in your bed and you're going to ask me that? He was discharged from the hospital only today. You were grieving and I knew you'd want to mate with Jace as soon as he was able to leave the hospital. Even Isaiah has said not to tell you anything until after." Asher explained.

"Why the fuck are you here?" Jace said then his glare firmly fixated on Asher especially since the first and last time they met, Jace and I had just started going out and Asher had tried to seduce me.

"You're not going anywhere!" Asher shouted as Jace made a move to get out of bed. He hurried over and pushed Jace back on the bed covering his head with the sheet. I heard Jace growl in irritation poking his head out from under the sheet as Asher continued.

"It's bad enough Jessop is running around our borders trying to sneak in. The last thing we need his him finding and killing you and this one..." he paused looking to me; "...going animal and doing God knows what."

"Jessop is at the border?" Jace chimed in making us look at him.

"Was...I only picked up his scent. Maybe he was there while I was checking the border but I never saw him. Maybe he left; maybe he managed to sneak in. That's why I came here. Carter and Dale are leading a group to check the borders. Isaiah is leading a group checking every inch of camp and Dale sent me to ensure that you two were safe and also to notify you."

"Sky..." Jace called and I could see the torment on his face.

"Right now; yours and Jace's safety is our top priority." Asher stated, hands on hip and a very serious expression on his face. "Even though I was the one who got the scent, you need to meet Carter and Dale at the border. I'll make sure Jace is safe."

"Where are you gonna take him?" I asked unsure about leaving those two alone but the look on Asher's face told me he didn't care about my personal displeasure. He was given a job by the next alpha and he took his job as a tracker, hunter, and pack warrior very seriously.

"To the Luna. I'll meet you guys at the border after I ensure he's safe with the Luna." He pointed out. I nodded my head walking over to where Jace sat, his expression saying that he was confused by all that was happening. Leaning down, I pressed my lips to his forehead for a second or two before pulling back.

"I'll be back. Go with Asher and stay with the Luna, okay. She'll protect you." I said.

"Sky...?" he called grabbing my wrist as I turned to leave. I looked back to him.

"It'll be alright. I promise to come back in one whole peace...and alive." I assured but rolled my eyes when Asher snickered.

"Yeah, you better. I'm runner up for third-in-command should you perish and in case you haven't noticed; I'm quite content on being just a hunter, tracker and warrior wolf. I don't need the extra added responsibilities." Asher said with a pout.

"Okay, whatever you say." Then I looked to him with a serious expression. "Take care of my mate, Asher."

"And I say that I take my job very seriously. You have nothing to worry about." He said shooing me out the door.

*********

Jace's POV

So here I was walking alongside Asher; the very same guy who once tried to stick his tongue down my mate's throat. I was truly uncomfortable letting him 'take care of me' but I didn't really have a choice. I understood Marcana was currently facing a threat and it could potentially lead to a war. What I was unfamiliar with was the procedures carried out in such situations.

Sky was needed at the border being both a victim in this case and also the third-in-command. I was the one Jessop wanted so Asher was to take me straight to her. I've never met Dale's mother before. I've only heard that she was a very beautiful woman; a dominant female who was on par in abilities with the alpha- which is why she was the Luna, the alpha's mate; the female alpha.

The street of the community pack was quiet and at each house, a soldier wolf was posted. Everyone was inside their houses. Even though the commotion was at the pack border, as Asher had said earlier, Jessop could have easily snuck past him and entered Marcana territory.

From what Asher told me, it was a procedure to ensure that the risk level stayed at a minimum. We approached a house that was not very glamorous. Then again, none of these houses were eye catching, really. They were simple buildings and this house, which I assumed to be the alpha's home, looked no different than the other houses...except maybe the well kept red rose bushes.

"We're here." Asher announced motioning for me head through the gate. He followed behind me and I took note of the two wolf guards standing near the door. I assumed it had to do with this being the alpha's home and since the alpha is probably the most important person in the pack; his home had to be protected.

"Usually in circumstances like these, children below the age of fifteen gather at the alpha's home so that the Luna can protect them. Children between the ages of fifteen and eighteen are split two ways; some stay with the Luna and help look after the little ones while the others, usually boys help the alpha and the other warrior wolves." Asher explained to me.

"What about all the wolves who aren't with the Luna or helping the alpha and beta?" I asked turning my gaze to him watching as he nodded to one of the guards.

"They stay in their homes but there are rarely any wolves that don't have something to do in such situations. Submissives and omegas who can't fight or protect themselves are usually looked after by the fourth-in-command; my parents."

Asher knocked on the door once we approached the porch. "So...why don't the children stay with the parents who don't have anything to do?" I asked.

"The Luna is second strongest to the alpha and she's kind of like a den mother. She protects all the children since we here at Marcana believe our children are the future. We would rather risk our own lives than that of our children." Asher explained reaching out to knock again. He didn't have a chance since the door swung open.

A small boy probably no older than six poked his head out from behind the door, the rest of his body hidden by the polished wooden frame. "Hey, hey, Nathaniel." Asher crouched cooing at the boy who, assured he was safe, stepped out from behind the door to welcome Asher with a huge smile.

"Can you take us to the Luna?" Asher asked.

I looked down at the other boy finding Asher quite strange. He was nothing like I had imagined him to be. My first impression of him had been that he was a scheming, boyfriend-thieving cunt. Then again, I'd only met him once for like ten seconds. But the Asher I saw now was a different person.

"Who's he?" the little boy, Nathaniel asked pointing to me. Asher glanced up at me.

"He's Sky's mate." Asher explained and the boy's lips formed the shape of an 'o'.

"Okay." The little boy said stepping aside to let us in.

"Nathaniel?" a woman called and not a second later did a beautiful woman- tall, slender- her brown hair falling to her waist in a length of dark brown curly mass, fair skin the colour of porcelain. She wore a pair of dark blue jeans and a white shirt, the cuffs rolled up to her elbows.

"Oh, Asher." She greeted warmly after pulling Nathaniel behind her for safety. She glanced down to the boy. "Don't run away like that. It's not safe." She scolded and the little boy blushed.

"S-Sorry, Luna." The boy apologized. Then the Luna looked up finally noticing me. Putting on a smile, she approached me and extended her hand.

"You must be Jace. I've heard a lot about you." She said and I shook her hand returning her smile.

"Likewise, Luna and it's finally nice to meet you."

"Please, call me Nicole." She turned her head to Asher. "Thank you for bringing him safely. Are you headed to the border now?" she asked and Asher nodded. "Just a quick word, Asher." She said then looked down to the little boy at her side. "Nathaniel could you take Jace and introduce him to the other kids?" she asked sweetly ruffling the boy's brown hair.

"Okay." Nathaniel replied brightly moving forward to grab onto my fingers and pull me away from the foyer. "Come on, I wanna show you my Superhero stickers!" Nathaniel cheered pulling me along...or rather...as best as his tiny frame can.

I followed Nathaniel and let him deposit me on a couch. Next, I watched him run over to a bunch of children and he picked up a book from the table flipping through the pages. Once he reached me, he climbed onto the sofa actually crawling into my lap and shoving the book of superhero stickers into my face.

"Look, this one's Wolverine." He pointed to a sticker.

"That one's your favourite?" Nathaniel glanced up at me smiling miles wide. Can I adopt this child?

"Yep! He's really cool!"

Oi, Oi; children are way too precious for this world.

**********

Sky's POV-

I met Dustin halfway to the border. He was a warrior wolf like Asher, but where Asher was a submissive, Dustin was a dominant. About one year older than I was, he was a very respected wolf in our pack. He led me straight to the border where I met Carter and Dale speaking to a group of three wolves.

"How bad is it really? I saw blood along the way." I said grabbing their attention.

"Is Jace safe? He's our number one priority right now." Dale replied.

"Asher took him to the Luna; he should be safe. Again, how bad is it?"

"I sent some wolves back to camp. Since there is blood, there is a chance Jessop snuck past the border and got in." Dale explained.

"But Asher said that he just got Jessop's scent." I countered, a rising panic starting within me.

"Asher and a group of dominants were patrolling the border when the attack happened. Everyone has been informed of the situation concerning Jace and has been on alert. As you know, wolves can mask their scent which would explain why Jessop's was the only one Asher was able to pick up." Carter cut in explaining the situation at length.

"It could've been all part of their plan to get to Jace. They would know that we wouldn't take any chances; that we'd double the guards at the border or at least station most of our strongest trackers and warriors near the border." Carter continued.

"So they attacked." I said and they both nodded.

"I was with the group Asher led. There were at least six rogues and while all we could smell was Jessop's scent; we never saw him." Dustin piped up as Dale motioned for him to step forward and say his piece.

"It was a distraction."

_________________________________________________

Me Other Self: Like what is up with these cliffhangers?

Me: Me is evil!!! Mwahaha!!!

Me Other Self: Why isn't Jessop dead yet?

Me: Moi is evil!

What do guys think of Nathaniel? Isn't he a lil' ray of sunshine?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 6.2K 25
[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 2] This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. Please read The Werewolf's Mate first. As vul...
301K 10.9K 49
[Jasper Falls Saga: Book 3] This book is part of a series and must be read in a specific labeled order. Please read The Werewolf's Mate first. Beaten...
34K 1.3K 35
Malakai Ross (Kai) is a human orphan ready to be on his own. He is sick of the bullying from students at school, specifically Jake, and the abuse at...
544K 20.5K 47
A werewolf having a human mate has been engraved in the history of the werewolves. Having a human mate has been forbidden ever since it happened befo...