A Twist of Fate (1D series...

Par JossieLeia

Jo Andrews Sam was your typical average high school girl. There was nothing pretty about her. Nothing excitin... Plus

A Twist of Fate
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Prologue
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ One
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Three
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Four
*Author's Note ~ 1D world tour's venues request ~ * CLOSED
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Five
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Six
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Seven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Eight
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Nine
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Ten
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Eleven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twelve
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Fourteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Fifteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Sixteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Seventeen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Eighteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Nineteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-one
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-three
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-four
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-five
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-six
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-seven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-eight
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-nine
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪Thirty
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-three
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-four
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-five
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-six
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-seven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-eight
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-nine
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Forty
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Forty-one
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Forty-two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Epilogue

A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-one

61.9K 223 22
Par JossieLeia

♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪

2012 © All rights reserved

A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-one

"Off to morning rehearsal. See you in awhile."

I scribbled on a piece of blank paper which I found next to the telephone before I settled a kiss on Zayn's forehead. I smiled as I looked at his serendity while he slept. He was just like a child - so peaceful and so beautiful.

I took a look at my watch - five minutes to nine. Time to get moving else I would be late for rehearsal.

Max had called for an additional rehearsal this morning in order to practice the new arrangement of music. The boys would like to do a medley of songs instead of performing individual pieces by themselves. And Colin was a genius - he actually managed to piece the music together. He must have inherited his grandfather's and father's genes.

I stepped out of the room and closed the door gently.

"I doubt he would get woken up," a chuckling voice next to me made me jumped.

"Colin!" I hissed. "You gave me a fright!"

He laughed softly. "Aren't you late?"

"Late?" I looked at the clock. Exactly nine. "It's nine. I'm still early."

He rolled his eyes, "We have to be there at nine. Not leave your room at nine," he smirked.

"What? Are you serious?" I exclaimed. "Then why are you still here?"

"Waiting for you," he shrugged.

I narrowed my eyes, "I think you are also late. And you are using me as an excuse."

"We shall see," he mused.

♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪

"So," Colin said. "Have you spoken to him yet?"

"Who?" I asked. I was busy checking out the traffic; we were making way to the studio.

He narrowed his eyes with a slight irritation, "Zayn of course. Who else?"

"Oops," I laughed. "Sorry, wasn't paying attention. Yeah. We had a talk on the way here."

He raised his eyebrow, "On the plane?"

"Where else?" Now it was my turn to give him my slight irritation.

He shrugged, "How was it?"

I smiled, "Good. In fact, he was thinking along the same line."

"That's good," he smiled.

I shrugged, "Well, what comes along comes along. We just have to face it together."

He nodded, "Anyway, England is a free country. I'm sure it won't pose a big problem."

I nodded, "What's that you're holding?" I pointed to a stack of papers in his hand.

He grinned, "I managed to find some scores of my favourite band, so I thought I'd try them out."

"Really?" I mused. "Who's your favourite band?"

He chuckled, "Okay, they are one of my favourites. I simply love their music. I doubt you've heard of them."

I believed him.

"Ha-ha, then please enlighten me."

"They are one of the most popular pop bands in Asia," he said. "May Day."

I raised an eyebrow.

"See? I told you."

"They are... What language?" I asked.

"Chinese pop group," he answered.

"Chinese? You understand?"

"Why not?" He laughed.

"How many languages do you know exactly?" I demanded.

He pondered, "Hmm, not that much actually. English, French, a little of Spanish, Korean, Mandarin and a little of Japanese. That's all."

My jaw dropped. "Why on earth do you know so many languages?"

"Well, I spent my growing up years in Korea and Japan. My grandma's Taiwanese, so I picked up Mandarin to communicate with her. I took French when I was in Paris. Spanish was for fun."

I rolled my eyes before shaking my head. "You should be a linguist."

He chuckled, "That's what I thought too. But I love playing music more."

"So, you'll be paying a visit to your grandma when we're in Taiwan, I presume?"

"I hope so. And maybe you can meet my cousin."

"Your cousin?" I asked, surprised. "Why would I want to meet your cousin?"

"Well," he smiled. "He's the drummer for May Day. Quite a talented fellow."

"Cool..."

"It's because of him I got to know of his band."

"You seemed to be associated with so many famous people..." I pointed out.

He shrugged, "I'm a popular person."

I rolled at my eyes at him. "Whatever. Hurry up. We're very late."

 ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪

"Want to stay back for some jamming?" Colin came over and asked. Zayn was helping me packed up and eyed him questiongly.

"What songs?" I asked.

He waved the stack of papers I saw him holding earlier. "Mayday."

"Okay," I answered and threw my bag on the floor again.

Zayn sighed. "Two crazy people." He shook his head. "Don't over-play," he warned me. "We have a concert tonight."

I nodded, "Don't worry."

"I'll see you later then," he said before kissing me. The boys were due for an autograph session in the afternoon.

"See you," I smiled before shooing him off.

"So, what's up?" I turned back to Colin.

"We can try this one first," he handed me a sheet. "Have you heard of their songs?"

I rolled my eyes, "Obviously not."

He chuckled, "A pity."

He went to retrieve his Iphone dock. "Okay, let's see." He flicked through a couple of songs in his menu. "Let's do this first. Something slower and easier to catch."

The song started off with the slow soothing notes on the keyboard for a few bars before the first strumming of the guitar was heard. Comparatively, it had a relatively long introduction before the singer started singer. It was a male singer. His voice was of the thin timbre, not those thick husky voices I often heard of rock bands. His voice, together with the music, provided a very sensational listening experience. I strained my ears to catch the drum beats, and then realised there was none.

“The drums come in later,” Colin said when he caught my attentive listening look.

I nodded.

Despite being a thin voice, the singer portrayed a strong powerful vocal as expected from any rock band singer.

“How many people are there in the band?” I asked.

“Five. One lead singer, three guitarists and one drummer.”

“No keyboardist?”

“There is, but he’s not considered part of the band.”

“Does the lead singer sing for all the songs?”

He nodded.

“He’s got quite an attractive voice,” I added.

He chuckled.

Then I heard the drum. Although it was a slow song, there were plenty of ad lib. ID’s songs were mainly direct beats and rhythms with little improvisation and ad lib. But the variety offered by this Chinese band fascinated me. Of course, it was still far from comparison to those rock bands but it intrigued me. That was why I was also enthusiastic when Colin wanted to try out new songs. I could not just depend on practicing One Direction’s songs. I needed exposure. And plenty of them – if I wanted to get into the Conservatory.

Colin started another song – this time, it was a faster piece. And the groove was simply amazing. Even though I did not understand the words, I wanted to stand up and jump with the music. The song was so full of life!

“Amazing, isn’t it?” Colin’s eyes twinkled as he spoke after we listened to three songs consecutively.

“Very,” I agreed. “Totally different genre of music.”

“Talking about different genre,” he said. ‘”Are you prepared for the audition?”

“What audition?” I asked, surprised.

“If your application does get through, you’ll have to go for audition. You do know that, don’t you?”

My eyes widened in shock. “No…”

He shrugged, “I suggest you better start looking at those stuff.”

“But… I doubt I’ll get through…”

“Excellent results from school. Grade Eight in Percussion studies,” he shook his head. “They will be stupid not to let you in.”

I rolled my eyes, “They are plenty of such people around.”

“I can’t believe it,” he said. “You actually have grade eight in percussion studies…”

“What’s wrong?”

“Just can’t believe it…”

“Well,” I shrugged. “The school thought I was good enough. My instructor thought so too so he registered me for it.”

“Good for you,” he said. “It actually comes in handy now.”

“Whatever…” I said. “Let’s play these!”

“Yeah!” And we spent the next hour playing Mayday’s songs.

 ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪

“JO!”

Colin stopped me as I was about to step into my room. Zayn looked at him in wonder.

“What’s up?”

He took a pause to catch his breath.

I looked at him amused.

“The results are out.”

“Results?

“Yes,” he continued. “The results of the application.”

“REALLY?” I gasped.

“Yeah, I got the email. Have you checked yours?”

“Not yet,” I said. I pushed forward the door, dashing to grab my Ipad, forgetting all about poor Zayn who was behind me.

I logged on with my ID into my email and held my breath.

One message in Inbox.

From Admissions – Royal College of Music.

I double clicked on the bold words.

Good day Miss Josephine Andrews Sam,

We are pleased to inform you that your application for the Bachelor of Music FY13 has been approved subject to the results of your audition.

Please kindly note that auditions would be carried out from 15 September – 29 September. You may click on the link below to refer to the audition pieces as well as to book your audition slot.

We look forward to having you here at RCM.

Have a good day.

Oh my goodness!

I got in.

“How is it?” Colin asked anxiously.

I forgot the two of them were still standing at the door.

“They told me to book an appointment for audition…”

“YES!” Colin shrieked. “Let’s go for audition together!”

I looked at the dates again. “Uh… how to go for audition? We are on tour on the other side of the globe…”

“I’ve checked with Max and Jenson,” he beamed. “The band will not be required for the whole strings of performances here in Africa. So, we’ll be fine to be absent. And Jenson can arrange to get us tickets back. We’ll be away only for a week. We can catch up again in India.”

“We can?”

He nodded, “Yeah.”

“Oh my gosh,” I sank into the chair. I still could not believe my eyes.

“Uh…so you guys are flying back to London?” Zayn spoke up.

“We have to,” Colin answered. “Else, how do we go for audition?”

“Okay…”

“Colin,” I said. “I am not prepared.”

He looked at me.

“I mean, I don’t even have the scores for audition. Not to say, I haven’t even practice yet.”

“We can go to the music store later.”

“Percussion scores are not easily found on the shelf. You have to pre-order them,” I groaned. “And I haven’t even touched the timpani and marimba for ages!”

“Timpani? Marimba?”

“Duh…” I rolled my eyes. “Why are they called percussion studies then? And not drum set studies? Classical music refers to the entire percussion ensemble and any sensible percussionist would know that it is absolutely necessary to play a timpani piece, a marimba piece and a snare drum piece.”

“Sorry, I didn’t know that…”

I sighed, “I’m not ready. I think I better not go.”

“Jo!” He exclaimed. “No way! You should at least have a go at it!”

I shook my head. I would never be ready in time.

“Let me talk to her,” I heard Zayn told Colin before indicating for him to leave.

“Okay…” Colin answered with a sigh.

“Jo?” Zayn called out softly as he walked towards me.

I did not reply.

“Why don’t you try out for the audition?”

“Are you insane?” I rolled my eyes. “Would you go on stage to sing a brand new that you have never sung before?”

“No…”

“Same logic.”

“No,” he said. “You have playing your instruments for all your life. You are so passionate about them. There must be something you can play for the audition.”

“I can, if I had time to practice. I don’t want to go there to embarrass myself.”

“Then we’ll find you time to practice,” he said.

“Where on earth can you find me a marimba, a timpani and where on earth can I get the scores?”

He smiled, “You’ll never know if you don’t try.”

“You are so optimistic,” I grunted.

He flashed the smile which I had grown to love so much, “For you only.”

 ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪

“Hi,” the girl at the counter smiled at me.

“Hi, I’m actually looking for two books.”

“Yes?”

“Would you happen to have Modern School for Snare Drum and Symphonic Studies for Timpani?”

Colin stood next to me and gave me a light squeeze on my arm. Zayn had got Colin to accompany me out to the music store.

“Let me check for you.”

“Thank you.”

“This is the most established store in town,” Colin said. “If anybody should have it, they should.”

I nodded. My hopes were almost zero.

“Yes.”

“I’m sorry?”

“Yes, we have them in the store. Let me get them for you.”

I blinked in disbelief.

Colin gave me a bemused look saying see-what-I-told-you.

“Here you are.”

“Thank you so much.” I grabbed the books tightly.

“So, we got your books,” Colin said as we stepped out of the store.

“I still can’t believe it,” I shook my head. “These are like not the usual books.”

“Well, this is not your usual music store,” he chuckled. “Do you feel more convinced now?”

I winced, “But I need to play them out…”

“Follow me,” he winked.

“Where are we going?”

“Just follow me.”

 ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪

“Ta-da!” Colin opened the door to reveal a small studio.

What shocked me was not the run-down of the studio but what the studio held.

A full size drum set.

A full size marimba.

A vibraphone.

A xylophone.

A glockenspiel.

A complete set of timpani - four of them.

I stared at them open mouthed.

“How on earth…?”

“This studio is for rent for people like you,” he grinned.

“Are you serious?”

He shrugged. “Zayn found it.”

My eyes opened bigger. “Zayn?”

“Yeah, I was surprised too.” He laughed. “Isn’t it, Zayn?”

I turned abruptly and saw Zayn sitting on the drum stool.

“Zayn!”

He grinned as he stood up.

I ran towards him and hugged him fiercely before kissing him.

“How on earth…?”

“I have my means,” he winked.

“Gosh…”

“Shouldn’t you start practicing now?” Colin asked as he settled into one of the cushioned chairs. “We only booked it for an hour.”

“Okay!” I pulled out the score books which I had just bought as well as the sticks. I bought some timpani sticks and mallet sticks as well. Thank goodness I did!

Morris Goldenberg Etude in five-four on page sixty four. I flipped the book. Gosh, five-four. I hated five-four because of the compound time. It meant that I had to play it in three-two every bar. And if I did not do it well, it would sound really awful.

Snare work was never my forte especially flam notes and demi-semi quavers. The dynamics of this piece was equally challenging. Piano to forte, messo-forte, followed by fortissimo with the same bar. Thank goodness I did something similar for my grade eight. One page work. Okay, not too big a problem. Then I practiced my rolls. Good, they still sounded acceptable.

Next, I moved to the timpani. Nick Woud’s symphonic pieces for Timpani. Five-eight. These people really like fives… I groaned. Allegro furioso. Whoot, pretty fast ah. Quite some pedal work as I fumbled with the pedals. Since the timpani set were rather old, the pedal was quite insensitive and I winced at the condition of the pitch. I took my tuner and checked the pitches. Semi-quavers – looked like I needed something more staccato.

“Colin,” I called out. “Can you just play me any chord on the piano?”

“Any chord?”

“Yeah,” I nodded.

Eb minor.

I was never a perfect pitch but I had to train myself to reach that level.

It was tough work but I had no choice.

Finally, to the marimba. I stared at the marimba. There was no mention of which particular piece I had to play, as long as I could perform a four mallet piece.

Time to check if my memory was still working.

I began playing my grade eight piece – Mozart’s Alla Turca from Sonata in A, K.331.

After which, I did all my scales in all major and minor both harmonic and melodic keys including the chromatic scales. Arpeggios and dominant sevenths would be tested too so I did those too.

Amazing. My hands flew automatically. It came with the practices I had over the years when I prepared for exams.

One hour was up nicely when I completed my final scale.

By then, Zayn and Colin were both wide eyed.

“You are amazing…” Zayn blinked.

Colin nodded. “Impressive.”

I did a little bow with a smile, “Thank you.”

“That song,” Zayn said. “Sounded familiar…”

“It’s Alla Turca,” Colin said. “One of the most famous pieces of Mozart. Sadly, people only remembered that movement. Nobody heard of movement one and two.”

I laughed.

“So, we’re going to London,” Colin said firmly. “But before that, I need to go home and grab my guitar.”

“Don’t you always travel with your guitar?” Zayn asked.

“I need my classical guitar.”

“What piece are you playing?” I asked.

“Frescobaldi Aria con variazioni.”

Both Zayn and I looked at him like he was talking alien.

He laughed, “You wouldn’t know it. But I can play it for you next time.”

“Okay…” I mused.

 ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪♫  ♪

“Here are the tickets,” Jenson said as he handed me and Colin our air tickets.

“Thanks,” I said.

“And these are the return tickets,” he said. “We wait for you in Dubai.”

“Dubai?”

“Yeah, stopover for a day before we head to Seoul.”

“I thought we’re going to New Delhi?” Colin asked.

“You’ll not be in time,” Jenson said. “Besides, it will only be one day stay at New Delhi.”

“Aww… I’ll miss the Taj Mahal,” Colin groaned.

“Well, you can forfeit your audition,” Jenson smirked.

“Not a chance,” Colin exclaimed.

Jenson laughed, “So, don’t complain.”

“Thanks Jenson,” I said.

“Good luck for your audition,” he said. “As much as I would hate to let you go, I still want the best for the both of you.”

I raised my eyebrow.

“What?” Jenson questioned. “You think you would be able to continue playing with One Direction after school starts?”

He sighed, “I don’t think so. Not to say travelling…”

“Maybe something could be arranged…” Colin said.

“Don’t try that with me,” Jenson jested. “I know you can’t wait to leave the band.”

I gasped.

“Yeah,” Jenson continued. “He was dragged in by me.”

“It’s not a bad thing actually…” Colin’s voice faltered off.

“Thanks,” Jenson grunted. “Anyway, we shall see.”

“But I have a contract…” I said. “Maybe I can defer my term…”

“Jo,” Colin winced.

“We shall see,” Jenson smiled. “Don’t worry about it. Meanwhile, just do your best for the audition.”

“Okay…” I nodded.

I stared at the tickets in my hands. I was going home.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

1.1M 46K 52
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
683K 33.7K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
1.1M 49.6K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
5K 89 24
Alexis is a 19 year old girl mom's famous has everything she wants. Until she is forced to go and live with the band Why Don't We. Can she really han...