Chaos Walking - Fanfiction

By JoannaTorresLuiz

What happens after Todd wakes up? A chaos walking fanfic based on Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness. ... More

Chapter 1 - Waking up
Chapter 3 - Ghosts from the past
Chapter 4 - Noise
Chapter 5 - The return
Chapter 6 - The intruder
Chapter 7 - Rise of the dead
Chapter 8 - Processing
Chapter 9 - War
Chapter 10 - The road to rescue.

Chapter 2 - Mother is that you?

1.2K 18 24
By JoannaTorresLuiz

I start breathing heavily.

"Todd calm down. You are okay. You learned how to speak the Spackle voice." His Voice is like a lullaby in my ears now. 

Ι gawk at him and sit up a little only to cause more pain in my chest. I groan and lie back down. Ben is still there at the door, he hasn't moved at all. "Do you need anything else?" He questions with his real voice now.

"No, I'll just sleep. Can you stay here with me, please?"

"Sure." He replies comes closer. He sits on the next bed and smiles. "You can sleep now. I'll make sure that nobody disturbs you." 

I smile back, close my eyes and envelop my world into darkness once again. 

(Viola)

People who used to be on the hill, as members of the Ask, are on the square now, trying to survive. The fire burnt almost everything, the flood destroyed every single building in Haven, most of the supplies were lost and many people died including kids. 1017 and the other Spackle are trying to help us by providing minimal amounts of food not enough for everyone but it's something and the settlers give us all their supplies. Fortunately, the ships were filled with first aid products which were needed to heal the injured ones. Two of the pilots of the first ship that arrived, Noah and Emma conceded us the heart monitor and the IV that is connected to Todd. Moreover, we are safe from the monster who attacked and killed so many civilians.

I currently ride Angharad through the square checking on people, listening to the Roaring of their Noise, assisting the injured ones and Mistress Lawson does the same. Fortunately, she allowed everyone to visit Todd now and realized that it was not his fault of what the Mayor did, that Todd was his victim all this time thus now that he is gone, Todd needs our help to recover. 

I cross through the spot that Mistress Coyle decided to commit suicide, which is not clearly visible cause the area is full of ruins but I still remember the scene. And it still hurts me that Todd saved Mayor Prentiss and not Simone, and it still hurts that I got mad at him cause I know he did not do it on purpose. 

"Viola, can you help me carry these?" I hear a voice saying. It's Bradley who's getting out of a semi-destroyed building, holding some empty bottles. "There's more inside."

I nod and climb down off Angharad. Before I make a move, a noise is heard, a familiar noise like the engines of a ship when it lands. I look on my back and there it is. It's a ship indeed.

"That's Dawson. He is looking for safe areas for an establishment." Bradley says cheerfulness all over his Noise.

I do not reply, just stare as the ship lands next to ours, in the town square.

When they engines stop, the ramp opens and Liam coming out. My parents' best friend. Mum and dad had told me so any stories about him in the Old World. He used to work as a teacher but he was a musician too. I kinda wish my parents were here right now. 

I run to him and hug him. "Viola," he whispers hugging me tightly. "Look how tall and beautiful you are." He steps a little back and takes a glance at my now clean clothes, which used to be Simone's. "Bradley told me what happened to your parents and I am deeply sorry."

"It's okay," I say, my eyes a little wet.

"Don't worry, I am here now. What about your friend, Todd? Bradley explained me the situation. 

I lower my face, looking at the ground.

"What is going on Viola?" Dawson asks and hugs me again.

(Todd)

There's a loud noise coming from outside which makes me slash my eyes open. Ben is still there, sitting on the bed."Need anything?" I take a look at the screens without answering and I see a ship, next to ours. The person who stands in front of it is a man and talking to Viola.

Suddenly, the door opens and Mr. Lawson enters, holding a black backpack. She waves at Ben to leave so he does. Without saying nothing more, she places the sack on the next bed and pulls out a needle. The sight of it makes me wimper a little but she doesn't even look at me. She grabs one cable and inserts the needle into a blue small thing connected to it. "This is your food since you will not be able to eat anything solid for some days. Now, I need to check out your injury. But that's gonna hurt." I bet she loves doing that since she hates me. 

She lifts my T-shirt and puts her hands on my chest. I groan cause it aches so badly but she doesn't even bother to comfort me, just continues doing her job. "You know Todd, the people want you as their leader. You are their savior. Of course, you saved them from Prentiss..."

"Ben is the reason we have peace I don't think I can run this town on my own, but he can do it. He speaks the language of the Land so it will be easy to keep us in peace. The Sky doesn't even like me."

"Are you sure about this? Being a leader gives makes you an important person." She insists in an ironic tone. "Mayor Prentiss considered you as special."

"I don't need to be popular. I just want to live in peace."

"Alright then, I'll announce it to him. Now hold steady cause I need to change your bandages."

I nod and grab the sheet with my left hand because I know it's gonna hurt.

She moves to the next bed, takes out clean bandages and comes back again. She removes the old ones and for the first time I can see the wound, it's full of blood, it's gonna leave a huge scar for sure.

"It was worse when they brought you."

I don't say anything to that, just staring at it. 

She presses it a little, I wince and black out for a moment but I recover and catch her eyes. She does not say a word, just puts the clean bandage on my chest. It hurts, that means the medicine works well. 

She approaches the door with no words.

"You know, I am not responsible for his actions. I tried to change him."

"He killed innocents."

"I tried to stop him."

"Todd, I don't blame you for anything but I cannot trust you either." She spits out and leaves.

(Viola)

"He is still so weak, what if he doesn't make it?" I affirm to Liam who seems worried too. We are in our ship now, Bradley and Ben are also here, ready to insert the healing room to visit Todd. "You're gonna meet him now." 

We open the door. Todd is lying down on the bed, his right hand on his chest and left on the sheet, his eyes at the screens, watching the people's activities. He turns his gaze to us when he hears Bradley's Noise and I notice how tired and weak and pale he looks, I remember how I almost lose him weeks ago and I can figure how much he wants to go out and help the victims of this war. His Noise is open now, I can read all his thoughts, I can see the conversation he had with Mistress Lawson, how awful he felt when she exclaimed she does not trust him. I really want to punch her right now but all I do is give a fake smile.

"This is Todd, the one I told you about," I announce and he smiles.

He sits up a little just to meet our eyes and smiles again.

"Hello, Todd," Liam says giving him a handshake. 

"Hi." Todd answers without moving his hand and his Noise roars.

"He is one of the new settlers," I exclaim happily.

"Oh, I see." He says and groans from the pain.

"You okay?" I ask going closer to him.

"Yes, I am." He admits when suddenly Wilf comes in. "There's a woman from Prentisstown. He wants to talk to you, Ben."

"What?" I say worried, looking at the screens, seeing a woman around 35s standing there, her clothes are ripped. "I am the Circle and the Circle is me." I hear coming from Todd and his Noise shuts down immediately. He attempts to get up from the bed but he can't, he is so injured that he cannot even stand up. Bradley runs to the bed to prevent him from climbing out. We look at the screen again and she is still there... I thought that all the women of Prentisstown, were dead, but why Ben would lie to us? AndI know her, I've seen her in Todd's Noise. It's is his mother.

"Do you know her?" Bradley asks and I am in his Noise staring at the screen.

"We have to go out, to the square," I exclaim.

"I wanna come too," Todd speaks trying again to stand up.

"No, you will stay here, you cannot walk properly Todd, you cannot fight. What if it's a trap?"

"But..."

"I don't wanna lose you, okay? Just stay here." I yell at him. 

"Fine." He tells me lowering his head, lying back down on the bed. I cover him with the sheets.

"I'll be back soon. I promise." I kiss him on the forehead and walk out. 

Bradley, Ben and I rush outside only to see Lee, Wilf, Jane, Mistress Lawson talking to her. She's looking at Ben in wet eyes.

"Anna?" Ben called approaching her. 

"Ben. They are coming." 

"Who's coming?"

"The other women. From Prentistown and the other cities. There are tons of them and want to kill the man who saved Haven. They support that he caused damage rather than good."

"Todd saved our lives," Lee admits seeing through Wilf's Noise. "Todd saved us. He sacrificed himself for this town."

The woman with the wet eyes looks at him desperately and now I know it. She is Todd's mom.

"Sacrificed himself?" She asks in a hoarse voice.

"He's..." I say and before I finish, we hear groans and footsteps, I turn back and see Todd trying to walk, he is some steps away from us - his hand touching the wound - he actually forces his legs to come to us and I run to him, to help him. "Are you crazy?" I whisper as I grab his arm gently.

"I-I must talk to her. It's my mom." He announces and I know he is right but he is gonna get worse if he does not relax.

I notice the woman, Anna, coming closer us. She takes Todd in her arms and he passes out just like that. "NO!" The woman cries and sits down, placing his head on her lap. "Baby wake up, please. Please." 

Todd's wound is bleeding now, some of the stitches Mistress Lawson did must have broken. Ben checks his pulse. It's there but fade... And he's fading fast. 

(The Sky)

After the Knife's exit from here, the Land is finally quiet. The Land lives a normal life, working to replace everything that the man of the Clearing destroyed. Everything is calm until we see a person from the Clearing. I've seen her in the Source's voice, it must be the Knife's mother. As soon as she reaches me, the Land takes out their acid guns.

"They are coming." She yells and it sounds like a warning. "I have to find my son, Todd. Please help me."

It is the Knife's mother although I cannot understand her language. In other time, I would keep her here and blackmail him but now I almost kill him I know that he needs her. So, I start explaining to her how to get there. 

(Viola)

Mistress Lawson is inside the healing room for almost two hours, treating Todd and does not let anybody in. Liam has gone to the other ship, Ben, Anna, Bradley, Lee, Wilf and I are here, out of the healing room waiting. Anna is next to Ben, her head on his chest as he hugs her, tears coming down her face. She looks tired and pale like she hasn't slept for days. Her hair is blonde and her eyes brown but I think she's right when she says that Todd looks after his father.

Lee comes closer to me, his Noise full of grief and worry.

"I am sure that he is fine." He attempts to comfort me but I am not sure if his words sound 

"If I almost lose him once out there on the beach, I don't want to lose him again. I love him, Lee."

Lee lowers his head and I can see myself in his Noise, I am on a bed wearing clean clothes and he brings me my breakfast and kisses me passionately.

Ben coughs a little cause he can see it too and Lee shuts down the thought embarrassed and walks a little further from all of us.

Anna's still crying, still hugging Ben tightly, still in the same position.

And Mistress Lawson comes out.

(Viola)

"How is he?" I ask standing in front of her curious.

Mistress Lawson's smile disappears in an instant. "Todd's injury has gotten worse since you brought him here, especially now that he walked out of bed. I did not want to tell him earlier but the chances of survival decrease minute by minute."

Her words are like bullets to my ears, if Todd dies I'll die inside too, I'll be empty, my existence will have no reason, no no, Todd cannot leave this world now that his mother is here. He needs her. I give her a look. She breaks down in Ben's hug as soon as she hears what Mistress Lawson says and Wilf helps and Ben helps her up.

"Are you okay Mrs?" Mistress Lawson asks.

She nods unable to speak but then she inquires. "Can I see him, please? I am his mother and I need to talk to my boy." Her voice is hoarse now from crying all this time. Mistress Lawson nods and leaves.

Anna inserts the room, Ben and I follow, leaving Wilf, Lee and Bradley outside.

Todd looks horrible. Mistress Lawson has removed his T-shirt and you can see the bandage on his would. She also put an oxygen mask on his face. His bloody wound is there and my mind cannot forget the moment when 1017 shot him cause he thought Todd was the Mayor and I get so angry, so angry that I leave the room. "Viola" I hear behind me but I continue to march to the exit.

(Todd)

Everything feels dark again, quiet. The only thing I can hear is my mother's song being sung inside my ear.

It's my mom. I know it, I saw her before when I ran out of the scout ship when I fell on the ground and remembered no more. But she is here for me, she takes care of me. "Am I in heaven?" I think for a while. "No, I am not. My mother is alive. I need to open my eyes for her, I need to talk to her, I want to give her a hug so badly.

The second Chapter is here! I hope you like it. I really wanted to learn more about Todd's mother so I revived her from the dead. Please read and vote. 

I love you all!

And don't forget that Chaos Walking is gonna be a movie with Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley as Todd and Viola! 

Joanna 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 1K 18
What will happen when Patrick falls madly in love with a man he just meets, but doesn't tell him that he's married? (Book One)
276K 6.1K 26
A friend recommended you to him, they heard that you were in need of a job and they said they know someone who needs a new assistant. What they didn'...
2.2K 210 27
BOOK 2 OF THE MIND GAMES TRILOGY! Being in a mental hospital is hard enough for Tyler, let alone being the most dangerous person alive. He tries to...
999 41 21
This my first fan fic so if it's bad tell me so I can fix it. And I'm also not good a descriptions so read to see what happens!