Thunder

By SarahPali

A doctor who left her training, and a police officer try to make sense of the paradox that is Ikebukuro. -upl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 4

4 0 0
By SarahPali

Six months ago

The bell chimed in Sanada Shizuko's house- Sanada Atsushi's mother. Rize waited. When no answer came, she rang the bell again.

Finally, a woman opened the door.

"Yes?"

She was a frail old woman, grey hair and stooping stature.

Rize held her badge up for her to see. "Konichiwa. I'm Detective Rize Watanabe, with the Ikebukuro PD. I was hoping to discuss some things about your son."

"Oh!" The woman started. She ushered Rize into the house.

She sat her down in the living room.

"Have you found out anything?" The old woman's voice was faint. Her skin was pale, Rize noted. She had lost her only son after all.

"I'm afraid not." Rize shook her head. "But we're doing everything we can."

She paused, to let the older woman have a moment, during which she took out a notepad.  "He was a good boy" Shizuko said. 

Rize always found this part of her job the most difficult. She wanted straight answers, about personality, work, friends. But how could she ask someone to relive memories of their loved ones? Loved ones who'd been killed. Loved ones who... they didn't know why got killed.

"Why would anyone do that to him?" The older woman continued.

"We are trying to find that out, Sanada-san." Rize replied instinctively. There was only a handful of rehearsed lines she could say. Because nothing she said would get Sanada Atsushi back. And nothing could negate the truth either- that this woman's son had been involved in illegal and harmful activities.

"What kind of work he did he do?" She ventured to ask.

"He worked in an auto shop. Fixed cars." Shizuko stared off, as if reminiscing. 

"You know, he was always like that. Always loved taking things apart and then putting them back together. When he was little he wanted to be an engineer." A tear slid down her face. "He saved up every penny he had for it."

Rize wrote this down. "What happened then?"

The old woman continued. "He was in high school. There was some bad people there, and he was always stressed. Either studying or working. I suppose I can't blame him for trying to find a distraction. He started slacking on his job. His grades went down. And then he..." She sniffled. "And then he got into drugs."

'Possible affiliation with Green sticks' She jotted down. She looked up to see Shizuko wiping her face with a tissue. Rize sighed inwardly. She moved over and rubbed her shoulder in comfort. "Shizuko-san. I... understand that this is hard. But what kind of people was he involved with?"

"I don't know. He left home. Left for a year with no calls, no trace that he was alive or not."

Shizuko let out a tired breath. "And then one day he came back. He looked different. But he told me was going to quit everything. Told me he was going to get clean. Get a job and save up for college. Everything was fine after that."

"When was this?" Rize asked.

"He came back almost a year ago." She replied.

"And nothing seemed suspicious?"

Shizuko paused. "No. Not for the first couple of months. But then he started acting weird. I was afraid he got back into drugs again."

"I see. Do you know anything about the gang he was recently involved in?"

Shizuko blinked and shook her head. "No. He wasn't involved in anything like that. I asked him about it. And he told me no."

Her swift reply told Rize that even if Atsushi had been lying, Shizuko had no plans of believing anything else. She paused and stared at Shizuko's clenched fists, then carefully asked. "Shizuko-san. Atsushi was part of a gang called the Green Sticks."

"No! He couldn't have been. He told me was over that business!" She snapped so quickly Rize was taken aback. "He even got rid of that tattoo!"

Rize hung onto this new information. "What tattoo?"

The older woman quickly got up. She went to the shelf where photo frames were placed. Rize also stood in in curiosity. She picked one up and showed it to her.

"See? I knew this was from his old gang. He got it removed. He said he wanted to prove to me that he was starting over."

Rize observed the photo in the frame. A smiling young man wearing a tank top, standing in front of a fountain. She could the tattoo clearly. It covered his entire right shoulder.

A purple Hydrangea.

"Excuse me, Shizuko-san. If you don't mind I'd like to take this picture with me."

Shizuko paused for a moment, and then nodded. "Alright. Anything to get my baby's killers."

"Thank you." Rize put it in her bag. "And do you know the address to his workplace?"

The older woman shuffled through some papers and then handed her a card to an automobile workshop.

"I think I have all the information I need now." Rize thanked the lady. "I should go now."

Shizuko shook her head, there was a frown on her face. She led Rize to the front porch.

"I'll keep you updated of any developments." Rize assured.

She then remembered one last question. "Oh! I forgot to ask."

The old woman stood in the doorway as she listened. "Did Atsushi have any friends, or acquaintances that you know of?"

Shizuki mulled it over. "He did have a couple of friends in school. But I don't know if he kept in contact with them or not. But lately he was hanging out with this man, I figured they're work buddies."

"What's his name?"

"I think it was... Nakura." She replied. Rize nodded and then turned to leave.

"My son was a kind man" Shizuko Sanada said. Rize paused.

"Not a good man, or a lawful one. But Atsushi was kind."

Rize grimaced. "I believe you."

Because the smile she'd seen on his face was gentle. And that was proof enough.

xxxxxx

Midori plopped herself on the futon. She was in her pajamas, hair in a bun.

"Nice place you got here." She looked around the room.

"It's not much, your highness." Rize answered from the kitchen isle.

A week had passed and Midori was spending the night at Rize's. To catch up after a long time.

Rize's apartment was small, to say the least. A single bedroom with a separate bath. The living room was fairly large, with a short Japanese table in the center. The Kitchen was miniscule, and Rize was making themselves some drinks.

Rize had seen the house Midori was staying in. She was once again reminded of the financial difference between herself and Midori.

"I'm not patronizing you." Midori got off with a huff and stood in the bedroom entrance, leaning against the door frame. She cocked her head to inspect the living room. "I had a similar one in New York. But it was less... japanesey."

"Hey, I didn't say anything either." Rize smirked. She poured a glass of strawberry milkshake from the blender, and then took out some ice from the fridge.

"I have a question though." She took out ice cubes and put them into the drinks. "Why'd you go to New York? I thought your mother lived in UK."

Midori shrugged. "I just wanted to get away from... family."

Rize walked over with two glasses. "You wanted to run away from family so you went to another country." She held out one for Midori. "Then why did you leave Japan?"

There was a moment of silence where Midori contemplated telling her. She promptly took her glass and trotted back into the bedroom.

"Reasons, Rize. Just reasons."

She sat on the bed. Rize sat down on the futon. "Right. Fine. Reasons." She drawled.

"Now look who's patronizing." Midori huffed.

Rize grinned. "Hey, I only ask cause I worry about you."

There was a pause, after which Rize spoke. "Anyways. What've you been up to in Ike anyways?"

Midori proceeded to tell her about her visit to the Sunshine 60 building with the high school trio. She'd met them again after that, if only for a short time, at Russia Sushi, where she went often now.

"A group of high schoolers?" Rize asked, sipping on her drink.

"Yeah. I met them on the first day I came here. They're nice kids. And they showed me around."

"Hmm. I see."

Midori remembered that night. She'd gone to Izaya's after that, but Namie had said that he wasn't there. She'd gone there three times in the past week and every time she was given the same answer. "Izaya isn't here. He's out on a job." She was getting increasingly frustrated with him. She was surprised he was still in business with that kind of attitude.

And then she remembered something even more pressing.

"Rize!" She whipped her head. "The other day I saw something."

Rize, who was sipping her drink, raised her eyebrow. She paused just to say "What." And then resumed drinking.

"There was a man." Midori slid down the bed and sat cross-legged across from the red head. "He lifted up a vending machine! I was... talking to Izaya and he just come up and threw it at him." She made a throwing gesture, careful not to spill her drink.

Rize stared at her. "Threw a vending machine." She tapped her chin,  remembering. "I guess that must be Heiwajima Shizuo. He might be the only strong enough to do that. He might also be the only one who hates Izaya more than me."

"Wait, you know him?!" Midori gasped. "He looks like a... a criminal." She bristled. "Shouldn't he be locked up or something?"

Rize shook her head. "We have caught him a couple of times for property damage. Other than that I don't think he's done-or at least caught doing-anything illegal."

"Really." Midori dead panned. She placed her now empty glass on the side table. "I've seen him you know. A couple of times around here. He looks so dangerous!"

Rize nodded in agreement. "I guess. A lot of my colleagues are afraid of him as well, those who know about him anyways. I think I read an article somewhere about him being the strongest man in Ike."

Midori blinked. "And this strongest man is Izaya's worst enemy? Figures." She snorted.

Rize then realized something. "Wait. You were talking to Izaya again?!" She placed her glass down and held Midori's shoulders. "He's the dangerous one here!"

Midori crossed her arms protectively around her chest. "Hey, he's your suspect-or witness whatever-but I need him for a job. Speaking of which, have you questioned him yet?"

Rize sighed in annoyance. "No. I went there but there was this woman saying he was out."

Midori nodded. So Izaya was truly working, not just avoiding her.

"So what is your beef with Izaya anyways?" She asked nonchalantly, resting her elbow against the side of the bed.

Rize grunted. "Nothing really. He's just... an asshole." She handed Midori her glass to put on the side table behind her.

"You said this Shizuo Heiwajima only hated him more than you. Why?"

Rize shrugged. "He got me into trouble at work once. It was a long time ago."

"What kind of trouble?"

Rize picked at her long locks. "I'll tell you that if you tell me why you need his services." She fixed Midori with a level stare.

Midori huffed and frowned, not answering.

"Thought so." Rize whispered and laid back on the futon, arms outstretched.

An awkward silence stretched between them. Midori rubbed her head, racking her brain for a lighter topic.

"Hey. Do you know anything about the headless rider?" She asked, a bit nervous that Rize was angry.

"The headless what?" Rize lifted head, not bothering to get up.

"'The headless rider that roams the streets of Ikebukuro'. That's what I've been told anyways." The scooted over beside Rize and laid on her stomach. "Apparently it's a rumor. I think it's about this black bike I've seen." She propped up her elbow, supporting her head on her knuckles.

"A headless rider." Rize mumbled. "I don't know about that. I do know of a black bike though. The rider wears black leather and a yellow cat eared helmet." Midori nodded at that description.

Rize grunted. "She's got our whole traffic department on her back. No number plates and her headlights aren't in line with government regulations. Pain in the ass, really."

Midori laughed. "Wow. You ever meet her?"

"No. If I do I'm supposed to arrest her, I think? No, not my jurisdiction. If you ever meet her, tell her to get number plates, it's not that hard."

"What if she is headless though?" Midori rolled over on her back.

Rize shrugged. "Still needs to get number plates."

XXXXXXX

Rize rubbed her temples. Today was not going to be a fun day.

Grabbing a coffee from a coffee stand, she walked along the sidewalk, with a file in the other hand. It was a fairly cool morning, the sun wasn't beating down as hard yet. It was just 8 AM, after all.

She usually came to work at 8:30, but today, she'd left early, straying from her morning routine. Not that it mattered anyways, she was always an early riser, ever since her childhood. No matter how late she slept, her mental alarm would always wake her up at 5. She'd get up and watch the sunrise, something she absolutely loved to do. Often she'd exercise afterwards, then make herself some breakfast and get ready for work.

Today though, her whole routine was disturbed. And it was all because of him.

She had decided that since she couldn't get a hold of Izaya, despite her leaving numerous messages to his secretary, she'd corner him early before he left for whatever vile deed he had to do.

Because of her anticipation, she'd woken an hour before her usual time. It was still dark outside and she'd tried to get back to sleep, but couldn't, going over the facts of her case in her mind.

The removed tattoo-a Hydrangea-wasn't found in any other gang related cases. She'd gone over to Sanada's apartment again where he'd hung himself. Even though the CSI had gone over the place with a fine toothed comb, she still felt she needed to see for herself.

The apartment was small, smaller than hers. The landlady had yet to find a new tenant as the police hadn't turned it over yet. When asking for the keys the fowl woman had given her a cold glare, muttering about getting in the way of her business.

The inside was covered with yellow tape, and she could see that the CSI had cleared pretty much everything up.

They'd been able to make a rough estimate of the location he'd been held in-someplace west on the outskirts of Tokyo. There had also been a mysterious chemical found on his clothes. The lab was working on identifying it.

She walked inside the small space and looked around. Some magazines were lying around the tiny living area. She picked one up with a gloved hand and examined it; pornographic. Sighing, she put it down.

The place where the futon was supposed to be was marked, with tiny pointers with evidence numbers printed on them.

The fan where he hung himself. She could just imagine him throwing the rope over the fan. Standing on the stool. Tying the noose around his neck. Kicking the stool away.

Rize followed her line of thought, and saw the stool lying beside the kitchen cabinet. It had rolled there.

She walked over and bent down to examine it. The turned its oval seat and sure enough, there was an indentation where he'd kicked it.

She flipped it over and shined her phone's flashlight on it. He'd kicked it in a way that both its edge and underside had been hit.

There was dirt on it, and to her surprise, a hair.

She would have disregarded it, but Sanada had no girlfriend. Also, the hair was distinctly blonde. She twirled it between her fingers, definitely a human hair. Long enough to be a females.

She took out an evidence bag from her purse and placed it inside.

She then proceeded to open the cabinet in front of her. It was under the sink, and was empty, save for a leaky pipe.

She was about the get up, when a smell wafted into her nose.

She turned back to the cabinet and took a whiff. It smelt like ammonia. She flashed her light inside and craned her neck to get a better look.

The water dripped down slowly, and she saw that the whole cabinet floor was wet. The tentatively swept her right hand across the floor and smelt it.

Bleach.

Flashing her light to the walls she saw that they were also covered with it.

She took out a UV light from her purse and shined it inside.

The whole cabinet lit up.

"Wait a minute..." She muttered and placed her hand under the dripping pipe and smelt it. The same smell.

She quickly got up and turned on the tap to the sink. It gurgled, but no water came out. She bent down again, and squeezed the pipe in her hand. It scrunched up under the force and a small stream of liquid dripped onto the floor as the pipe emptied.

Rize leaned back, and sat on the floor confused.

She huffed. Maybe the CSI wasn't doing that good of a job, after all. 

She got up and took a Q tip from back from her bag and swept it across the cabinet floor. She then took out an evidence bag and placed the Q-tip in the bag. 

Taking out her phone she dialed the Dr. Hiro's number.

 "Hello, Doctor Hiro" She said. "Are you still in the precinct?" She asked.

 "Yes, I am." He replied, "But I was just about to leave. Why?"  

Rize walked outside to the balcony. The sky was overcast as she stared at the people walking down the street. "Oh. Okay." She said "I just have to drop a few samples off. If you could look at them."

 "Alright." The Doctor replied. She heard rustling of papers on his end. "Just drop it off at my office." 

Rize nodded. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes." She closed the phone and walked outside, locking the door behind her.

As she descended the steps, she took one look back at the apartment.

Life gave everyone a multitude of choices. And she didn't know why, but she thought that she could have been in his place. Hung from the ceiling and poisoned at the same time. Maybe it was because they both lived alone, were alone. Or maybe it was because this city had a penchant for swallowing up people like them.

She shook her head and walked away.

xxxxxx 

Rize reached Izaya's place. Time to get this over with. This wasn't Izaya's work apartment.  Well, this wasn't his home apartment either. Truth was he owned several residencies across the city, and she just happened to know that this was the one he'd be in this early in the morning. 

She raised her hand to ring the bell, but as she was about to, the door burst open.

"Rize-chan!" Izaya drawled. "I was expecting you."

Rize raised an eyebrow. "Were you?" She hadn't missed the security camera in the lobby, of course he was expecting her. 

Izaya sidestepped, letting her in.

"Then you should know why I'm here. And to make it easier for both of us, let's keep this as short as possible." She quipped.

Izaya passed her, twirling his arms, "But you're assuming I don't want to be in your presence, Rize-chan. It breaks my heart."  He grinned mischievously. 

Rize decided to ignore his babbling. (Because it was just that: babbling.) 

She placed her bag on the couch and took out her trusty notepad. Izaya leaned against the armrest of the opposite couch, his eyes following her movements. She took out her pen and rested its tip against the paper.

"So." She let out a breath. "How do you know Sanada Atsushi."

"Who?" Came his innocent reply.

"Dont insult me Izaya." She retorted. Izaya smirked.

"He was an acquaintance."

"What does that mean?"

He shook his head. "That I knew of him, but was not involved with him."

"How would you say you weren't involved with him." 

"That I did not know how he died."

What a specific answer, she noted.  "Anything else?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Not that I recall." He replied, shoving his hands inside his jeans. The movement caused her to observe his profile. She hadn't realized that his hair was tousled, he'd just gotten out of bed. She blinked, so he did sleep here. He straightened and walked towards the window which was beside his work desk. There were several papers scattered on it, along with a monitor. 

It was quiet, she realized, as the only thing she could hear was the faint hum of the computer. It was early morning, and yet she felt... like she should get out of this room. 

Nonsense. She had nothing to be scared of. Especially from this insect.  

Abruptly, she got up and took two steps towards him. "And what were you doing on the day he was killed?"

He turned his back to her. "I was working. My secretary can confirm that."

"Right." She said disbelievingly. "And what were you doing outside the police station when his body was being transported."

He shrugged. "Coincidence."

Rize ground her teeth. She wrote down 'witness is a prick' on her notepad.

She let out a calming breath. She couldn't lose her anger here. He was an asshole, and she couldn't expect him to tell her anything. She briefly glanced at the papers scattered on his desk. If only she could take them. There be no need for this pointless questioning.

"And what do you know about the Green Sticks?" She asked.

"Oh? Isn't that a color gang?" He turned his head. 

Rize felt like banging her head. "Why do you have to feign ignorance at every question I ask?" She exhaled in frustration.

"Rize-chan, you're assuming I know anything."  He drawled. Even though she couldn't see his face, she could image he had that insufferable smile on his face. 

"Of course I do!" She snapped. "You're a damn information broker so for one second stop assuming that I'm some two cent cop you can fool!"

She clenched her fists, and cursed inwardly for losing her temper.

"Rize-chan." She hated the way he said her name sarcastically

"I have no incentive to talk to you. Unless you force me with a subpoena I don't think I have to say anything." He turned around and smiled. Rize sighed in defeat.

He brushed past her and stood in the middle of the room. 

Rize turned around as well, pressing the palm of her hand against the corner of the desk.

"You're right." She said. "You have no reson to talk to me." 

She smirked, and traced her hand across the wood. "But when does Orihara Izaya ever do anything for a reason." He turned to face her and she gazed into his eyes. "You do everything for your own amusement. Why else would you lure teenage girls into the city and make suicide pacts with them. I doubt you'd want to teach them a lesson against believing strangers."

"You make dangerous men your enemies. And when you deal information to someone it isn't for the money it's so that you yourself can manipulate them with information whenever you need to. You do all that and more for your amusement." She scoffed, and tilted her head, "You think you're so enigmatic, but sadly, I have you all figured out. I~za~ya~kun."

Izaya gave her an amused stare. There was a twinkle in his eyes and a grin on his lips. "So you do have me all figured out, have you? Ri~ze~chan."

She leaned against the desk and crossed her ankles. "I believe I have."

In two short strides, he closed the distance between them. "If you do have me all figured out." He leaned closer to her face. "Then you should've known that coming here was futile. And what is even more futile is trying beat someone in a game they've mastered." His breath brushed against her cheek. 

Rize blinked as he leaned over her shoulder as if reaching for something. His body pressed against hers, and her face exploded with colour. What was he doing! 

She moved her arms to push him away, but he straightened in a flash. 

"Here you go, Rize-chan!" He held out a piece of paper for her to see. 

Rize swiftly took the paper, and stared at it. She first calmed herself down. What a deranged man. 

She then read what was written on it. Only one word.

Kanra.

She looked up at him, confused.

"I believe this will help you in finding Sanada's murderer." Izaya leaned against the couch.

Rize frowned for a moment. And then, to Izaya's surprise, her face burst into a smile. 

"Seems like you weren't as unbothered as you said you were." She walked up to him. 

She let out a breath. "But I'll believe that if this information helps me in finding the truth."

"Ah, so we shall see, Rize-chan." He crossed his arms.

She picked up her bag and put her things back along with the note.

She placed her and on her waist. "I think this is all the information I'll get from you today." 

Izaya smirked, "You assume correct."

She slung the bag over her shoulder. She turned around to leave, but then stopped in her tracks. 

"Oh, and Izaya." She craned neck to the side. "Midori. Should anything happen to her, and should that be your fault. I will kill you." 

"Anyways" She quipped. " Have nice day."

Izaya smiled. "Touche."

Rize exited the building, feeling a sense of triumph. She hadn't expected Izaya to tell her anything. And, like she'd said, right now she had no way of knowing whether he was telling the truth or not. But, she sighed, she felt that the hard part of the investigation was over.

Dealing with Izaya was mentally draining. She knew that much from the 3 years she'd known him.

She hoped she didn't have to see him again regarding this. 

Of course, she couldn't be more wrong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 179 57
It was Izumi's birthday and her mother takes her to the doctor to see what her quirk is. She was diagnosed quirkless. They went home and her mother c...
270 36 13
DISCLAIMER!!! I do not own "Durarara" or the characters from the series (show, novels, and manga)!! This is only a fan fiction between the character...
30.4K 779 22
[old! BRO WHY ARE PEOPLE READING THIS ITS SO CRINGE 😭😭] In which Y/n breaks up with her toxic af ex boyfriend before she starts a school project. H...
820 68 10
After a year of hard work and finally defeating All for One, UA welcomes the greatest hero of Japan and The Symbol of Justice: Deku or as the student...