The Bad Boy Calls Me Kitten

By HessianKills

"You'll be fine?" I shrieked. "You just got freaking stabbed! You're letting out more blood than a girl on he... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Seventeen

396K 15.5K 5.3K
By HessianKills

"What are you going to do, Scar?" My voice cracked on his name.

Scar smiled, but it was a bitter one. He tugged my arm until I was closer to him than I had ever been before. My heart beat just a little bit faster. His hair smelled of coconut when he ran his fingers through them. They settled on his head like delicate strands of chocolate grass.

"Don't you worry about me, Genevieve Warrens." he whispered. I bit my tongue in the sheer nervousness I was feeling. Scar's eyes danced with the light of something dangerous, and it scared me. Whatever he was going to do, I knew it would be big.

Then with the slightest movement, he pushed me away.

I ran off to the building. The pounding of my feet matched my heartbeats, quick and rabid. Before going through the sparred fence, I couldn't help but glance back. The last thing I could see before someone stepped in front was an arm covered in colorful tattoos. Then it was gone.

Even though I knew Scar was more than capable of taking care of himself, apprehension prickled the back of my neck. I brushed it off and hurried towards the sleek glass doors. A big, grand sign standing between some fresh roses read out Initrode Barnes & King Incorporated.

So Sebastian owned the company. This should be interesting.

The inside of the building was as intimidating as it looked from the outside. A big lobby accompanied by a large, circular receptionist desk didn't even take up one-fourth of the room. The ceiling reached the heavens, a large dome with intricate designs that were far too high for me to see. A few men in business suits and women with posh buns eyed me strangely but said nothing. Besides the large American eagle behind an array of red, white, and blue stamped to the ground, there wasn't much color. Everything was a cold, steel gray. The seriousness reminded me of Scar.

I forced myself to walk up to the receptionist. The air temperature seemed to drop with every step I took. I was afraid my voice would magnify if I spoke, but I had to find Sebastian Barnes. Chills raised on my bare legs. The girl behind the counter was a prepped blonde. Her hair was pulled back into a strict bun that looked unnatural against her pale skin and her lips were redder than an apple. She had the eyes of a eagle, sharp and flicking with every movement.

"Hi." The words were barely audible. I cleared my throat and tried again. "Hello." I smiled to hide my discomfort. Her eyes snaked down my pathetic form, clearly judging. I must've been a sight to see, a dumb teenage girl amongst professionals.

"Good morning." The lady smiled. It was nice enough but I could see clear judgment in her eyes. She probably thought I wandered into the wrong place.

"Hi." You already said that, Genevieve. "May I speak to Sebastian Barnes?"

Her posture was immediately straightened. The name obviously meant something around here. Her blue eyes turned suspicious.

"Do you have an appointment? It must be planned 2 weeks in advance."

My face paled. Appointment?

"Um, no. But I assure you, this is incredibly important." I said.

"I'm sorry, ma'am." she shook her head firmly. "I take it you know who this man is?"

"N-No."

"Mr. Barnes is the CEO of Initrode Barnes and King Incorporated. He is a very busy man, and cannot be bothered by strangers. No offense, of course. If you must speak with Mr. Barnes, an appointment needs to be set 2 weeks prior or else it cannot happen. I'm sorry ma'am, but I can't let you see him." she explained. Her eyes were already on her computer even before she finished speaking. I shifted my weight awkwardly.

Scar, what the hell are you doing to my life?

"Bogdan, ma'am." I stuttered out. That definitely caught her attention. "I was sent by a man named Bogdan to find Sebastian Barnes. Please, this is really important. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't. I need to see him. It's- something very important depends on it. Please." I insisted.

She sighed very dramatically and picked up the phone. "Let me see what I can do."

After a few hushed whispers, angry murmurs, and a dramatic goodbye, she finally put down the phone and gave me a tired look. "Floor 23." was all that left her mouth. I gave a grateful nod and went towards the sleek elevator that stood behind a potted plant that was as meticulous as the rest of the building.

I waited patiently as the elevator arrived. A man stood adjacent to me, waiting for one as well. We made a brief moment of eye contact. I smiled awkwardly, hating every moment of being inside the cold building. My only hope rested in Scar coming back quickly. As much as I hated his guts, he was the only thing familiar in this big city.

The door dinged and opened. I took a deep breath and entered. I hated elevators. The small space...the creepy music. It was beyond horrible. I pressed Floor 23 and waited as it took me up. How was this infamous Sebastian Barnes? Hopefully, he was as great as Scar made him sound. And hopefully, I wouldn't completely ruin it.

The door opened to reveal an office floor buzzing with life. I stepped out reluctantly. People turned and stared as I went, like lions watching a single mouse. The air was warmer up here, and brightly lit. I quickly walked across the hall and into a single hallway. With each step I took, the chatter whispered away. A bronze sign with the word Sebastian Barnes in bold black letters was perched upon a door.

I stood there like a clueless idiot for a moment, wondering if I should knock or walk in. Wouldn't that be rude though? I decided to knock. It was as timid as I felt. I knocked again, louder this time, until a deep, resonating voice from inside said "Come in."

Twisting the door knob, I stepped inside. This was a good practice if I ever wanted to go to an interview, really. The office had one wall completely made out of glass, risen high to see the magnificent sights of Chicago. A large, cherry wood desk sat grand in the middle of a floral, expensive-looking carpet. Off to the side was a leather couch. I was pretty sure that alone cost more than Marie's favorite pearl necklace.

"Hello." said a curious male voice. It had a slight Australian accent to it.

I looked up, finally seeing Sebastian Barnes. He smiled and stood up. Sebastian was tall, to say the least. He might've even been taller than Scar. He looked to be in his mid-40's, with brilliant salt-and-pepper hair that was gelled back neatly. A polished black suit clung tightly to his old but strong body. He was rippled with muscles. A neatly-trimmed beard gave him the feel of something comforting, and he had a black eyepatch over one eye.

"Hi." I said nervously. "My name is Genevieve Warrens." Sebastian walked over and took my hand in his, shaking firmly. He smiled back.

"Hello." he repeated. "My name is Sebastian Barnes. How can I help you?"

"Hello." Stop saying that, Genevieve. "Scar sent me here to find you."

Immediately, his grip on my hand tightened. I squirmed uncomfortably. At the mention of Scar's name, his eyes became hard. Sebastian suddenly released me. I stepped back. Then he smiled, but it seemed forced.

"Take a seat and tell me everything you know." he offered me a seat on the leather couch. I shook my head.

"It's a really long story, and I was told not to do anything but find you. Scar said he would tell you everything that happened when he comes back, Mr. Barnes."

"Please, call me Sebastian. A friend of Scar is a friend of mine. Now tell me, did that boy run into trouble again?" he asked, taking a seat on the couch. I watched as he poured himself a drink from a crystal bottle.

"Something like that. The Bratva, or at least a member of them, came looking for Scar. I guess he panicked and sent me here to find you." I explained.

"Ah, that kid." Sebastian chuckled. "Always the impulsive one. He worries, you know. I take it he told you what happened?" I nodded. "And now he seemed to have dug himself a little hole with the Sevskaya Bratva." he continued. "Tell me, Genevieve, are you and him together?"

I finally caved and took a seat beside Sebastian. The Chicago skyline was just beginning to appear, irregular shapes in the distance from the buildings. Time passed very quickly in a big city, or at least it felt that way.

"No."

Sebastian chuckled again. "Is that right? Well, I can tell you one thing. He definitely cares about you, Genevieve. Why else would he go to such great lengths to keep you safe? You know, before Scar and I went our separate ways, we promised to never see each other again unless it was very important. He broke his promise for you, so I wouldn't feel so bad."

"I understand, but Mr. Barn-"

"Sebastian."

"Sebastian." I repeated. "Scar only feels like that because he's obligated to. I didn't ask to come along, you know. I would much rather come to Chicago on my own terms, not his. Scar is only protecting me because he dragged me along and if I get hurt, then my pare-"

"Oh, forget your parents!" he scoffed. "I know Scar, and I know he only does these things for people he really cares about. Tell me, Genevieve, why else he would bring you along? Scar enjoys your company. I can see why, you're so innocent! He might not seem like he cares but he's only shielding himself away because he's ashamed."

"Ashamed of what?"

"His past, love. Scar has one of the most horrible pasts of anyone I met. You can't blame him for locking his feelings away. Christina already broke it once, and Scar is too scared to let himself get hurt again." Sebastian sighed deeply. "Now tell me, where did that boy go?"

"I don't know." I muttered. What Sebastian had said was bouncing around in my brain. "Why, do you think something happened?"

"Of course something happened, Genevieve." Sebastian heaved himself up and walked to the door. "That boy is an idiot and I better go help if it has anything to do with the Bratva. Stay here. My workers should be all gone by now, so I'm afraid you will be alone."

I nodded. Sebastian left without another word. I walked up to the window. This was the time I had been waiting for, to see the brilliant colors of Chicago at night. But even with the picturesque view, something felt like it was missing.

* * * *

It had been 4 hours since Sebastian left.

"Maybe he's okay, Genevieve."

And I had started talking to myself.

"Yeah, they're fine!" I said meekly, pacing around the office. Sweat was trailing down my back. "Scar can take care of himself. Oh my God, they're dead. No they are not! Don't think like that, idiot! Good thoughts, okay. He'll be back any second. Oh my God, I have to pee."

So yeah, I was kind of having a panic attack.

"Good thoughts, good thoughts, good thoughts. I have nothing to worry about. Besides, the police can help. Is this building haunted? What was that noise? Oh, stop talking to yourself, Genevieve. No but really. What was that?" I held my breath, listening intently.

It sounded like shuffling feet. Maybe it was Sebastian. Or better yet, Scar. Soon enough, my wishes were granted. The door burst open, making me freeze in my frantic pace. Scar was standing there, and he looked like hell.

For a whole minute, I couldn't bring myself to speak.

"Scar, what did you do?" My voice was shrill with the terror. He only panted heavily in response. A hand was clutched firmly against his stab wound, which was dripping down blood. It rippled between his knuckles before falling to the floor in a steady, continuous drip.

He donned a scar on his left cheek, long and jagged. Blood was also seeking down his forehead. Scar held onto the clean, mahogany door. I felt my breath come out in short, heavy gasps. This was the second time I had seen Scar badly hurt, and my first one didn't go so well. God knows what happened to the wound on his stomach, although I guessed it was from that re-opened one which was bleeding eminently now.

Where was Sebastian Barnes when you need him?

I forced my cemented legs to move towards him. The sight of blood made me dizzy, but never as much as how Scar was feeling right now. His body was a mess, and I had never seen his eyes as broken as they did now. Whatever happened had done some serious damage. I cursed myself for not stopping him when he went after the Russian Bratva member.

"Are you okay? Oh my God- no! You're a freaking idiot! Stupid! I should never have- Scar what were you thinking?" the words left my mouth in a incoherent babble. Scar held onto my shoulders, breathing like he had just run a marathon. My hand twined into his rough ones, holding him up. Scar was nearly passed out, but somehow managed to speak.

"Kitten, are you o-okay?" he whispered. My stomach twisted unnaturally. Even in such a delirious state, he somehow focused on me. Just like Sebastian had said. The one thing I could never figure out was why he was so adamant on making everything about me.

"Forget about me! You're the one who's bleeding more than a girl on her period!" I said for yet the second time. His weight was pressing down on me. It took a moment, but I finally managed to set him down carefully onto the leather couch. The blood was instantly soaked into the expensive material. I winced. Sebastian would flip a switch.

Scar chuckled briefly, then let out a hiss of pain. I began gathering things from around the room that might help him hurt less. The tissue box from the table. The glass bottle of vodka to stop the bleeding, although I was reluctant to use that. And finally, the couple measly bandages I found in Sebastian's desk drawer.

"I-I remember that was one of the very f-first things you said to me." Scar murmured. It was followed by a gasping cough and then a spitting noise.

"Said what?"

"Bleeding more than a girl on her p-period." he laughed weakly. "Remember that?"

"It's not freaking funny. You're bleeding."

"Bring me a tampon."

"That's not funny, Scar."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434K 13.1K 30
My life was simple and easy. A bit lonely but I liked it. It wasn't until I literally crashed into the one who would change my life forever. My world...
1.5M 37.3K 44
"STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME" I shouted pointing a knife at him. It was the only thing keeping him away from me. "Do it!" He said with a wicked smirk...
97.3K 3.4K 30
Life was going okay...until I found out I had a stalker. That's when everything changed. ~~~~~ That’s when I heard the fence give way. I bolted for m...
3.4K 60 5
WARNING: EXCERPT ONLY! "And you smell delicious too." He whispered beside my ear. "Like honey and cinnamon were mixed to create a scent so irresistib...