New Beginnings

By tiamatilbee

Riley finds herself being swept away from her beloved city Cairns for her entire family to turn over a fresh... More

chapter 1.
chapter 2.
chapter 3.
chapter 5.

chapter 4.

39 4 5
By tiamatilbee

"Hello," I squeaked awkwardly, looking down at my feet,

"Hey," he casually replied I look up to find his eyes studying me, "I haven't seen you around before,"

"Yeah actually, I moved here just a couple of days ago." I say, trying to sound calm, "I'm Riley."

He nodded in response, still looking at me. "Nice to meet you, my name's Marcus." As he says this he turns and starts walking slowly towards the school's exit. I start to follow,

"So are you also new here?" I inquire, Marcus turned to me, a cloud of confusion briefly passing over his eyes, before explaining,

"Oh, no I'm not. I was only at the orientation with my little brother, who's just joining year seven."

That answers my question about being in Ben's year, "What a coincidence, my little brother is doing high school for the first time as well!" I say with enthusiasm, maybe his little brother could drag Marcus to our house so we could get to know each other better. Mum wouldn't be able to say I'm not making an effort with friends.

"Really?" He responds as we stop at the school gates where I nod in response. Marcus looks over, past my shoulder. I follow his gaze to where the parents are still mingling, including my own mother with Ben. 

At the chance of his distraction, I quickly study his facial features. His eyes were a beautiful mix of brown and blue intertwining with green, complete with long eyelashes giving them a kinder look. His nose was fit to his face, with his thin lips below which were resting slightly open.

Directing his attention back to the conversation, I notice his eyes light up

"Do you have any plans for the rest of the day?" He asked, the question surprises me.

"Um, I don't think so, nothing exciting anyway," I ask before replying hesitantly, "why's that?"

Did this mean he wanted to hang out? A small smile crept onto my face but quickly disappears as I notice his unsure expression.

"Do you think you would maybe, be interested in grabbing some food?" He offers.

Score!

I can't help but feel my mouth stretch into an excited smile, "I would absolutely love to!"

As soon as I say this, his shoulders visibly slacken in relief, "Cool."

Before I know it, I'm walking down the road with the gorgeous stranger I just met.

**

Side by side, we walk down the pavement in a slightly awkward silence. In my head, I silently question myself where we are going. Can I really trust him? I was strolling around a city I didn't even know, with someone who I didn't even know existed a few hours ago. Looking over up at Marcus, I saw him looking up, taking in the details of the cloud in the sky above us. Our feet were walking in synchronised pace creating a steady rhythm. I broke the silence,

"So how's life at the moment for you?" I asked, looking over at me with a small smile playing on his face he replied,

"A bit lonely."

"Why's that?"

"Dad's always at work, so I'm basically home alone, for now." he said, before looking over at me appreciatively, "Thanks for coming, Riley." he added.

"Thank you for taking me," I laughed, "I need to start learning my surrounding so, this is a start."

As we walked, we passed many shops on our right, a hat shop, a souvenir shop, an IGA, a surf store. Continuing on, I expected to come across more stores, but instead, the brick wall we were following, suddenly parted into a wide alleyway of colour. Gasping in surprise as we rounded the corner, I took in the view before me. The air around us sounded as if somebody had turned the volume up on a soundtrack; of buskers singing and dancing, along with the noise of hundreds of people's chatter. Dozens of small food stores and toy shops were spread on either side of me. People clustered around each other to take group photos. More beings swarmed around a man painted as a gold statue, busking for money.

Looking up at Marcus I see him laughing to himself a bit,

"What?" I asked accusingly, causing him to sigh,

"Just that you seem so awestruck," he says with a grin.

I stumble over words, not knowing whether to smile or not, "Well it's extraordinary," I open my hands to the people around us as if trying to prove a point. He only nods in return, still smiling. Still looking around, I stop at a demonstration with a large semicircle around it.

 A girl wearing a chef's hat, who seemed to be a bit older than me, was mashing together a creamy substance with various fruits into a paste, before escaping them into rolls and serving them. The stalls sign read 'Rolled Ice-cream" in a colourful font.  WIthout realising, I subconsciously made my way to the stall.

As I watched, the shadow of Marcus came to stand beside me.

"I thought I had lost you for a minute." he said, sounding out of breath. Looking over, I could see he had a face of genuine concern on.

"Sorry." I said meekly and raised my brows apologetically.

We both watched quietly as the girl finished making another round of ice-cream.

"I'm going to get some, what about you?" He asked, pulling out his wallet.

Going to orientation, I didn't think I would need to buy anything,

"I, I didn't bring any money." I said in disappointment.

"This one's on me." He smiled generously.

"Oh, no you don't need to, I don't-"

"This one's on me." He repeated firmly, pulling out a fifty dollar note.

God, his dad must be generous, I think to myself. Feeling slightly embarrassed, I mumble a thank you.

At the end of the waiting line, Marcus and I comfortably start up a general conversation, talking about hobbies and school and pets. I discover that he has a golden retriever named 'Mila', averages academically and like to go boxing. We even exchange phone numbers, if ever in need of company.

Once at the counter he orders a 'Mixed-up Mango' and I go with a 'Berry Delicious'. We take or small paper balls over to a small and wooden table where we sit down on the provided stools to eat. Taking my first mouthful of the rolled ice-cream, I close my eyes in anticipation. A wave of cold, fresh mango makes it's way to my stomach.

"Mmm." I say after I swallow. "This stuff is so good!"

Marcus nods in agreement, and I can see he has nearly finished half of his rolls already. I watch as he takes another bite, but as he watches me instead of the dessert, his spoon misses his mouth, and he gets it on his face. I giggle at his clumsiness and watch him wipe it off in embarrassment before he starts laughing too.

 Before we know it, we are both laughing so hard our stomachs hurt. I feel tears come to my eyes and my cheeks start to hurt. I try to turn away and take deep breaths to settle myself. Glancing back over at Marcus, I see he is smiling at me,

"Are you okay?" Knowing that I'm all right, I nod, still smiling.

"Thank you for the ice-cream," I say, a glimpse of my phone tells me it's almost three. Still ages of free time. "Do you have to go?" I ask,

"Yeah, I should probably start heading back to walk Mila." He says, pushing himself to stand up. I follow his lead, and we both start walking out the arcade.

"How are you getting home?" I ask. Knowing that I could easily get Mum to pick me up because I didn't know the roads to get home by.

"I'll just walk," he said casually, "only about twenty minutes."

"If you want I can ask Mum to drop you off on the way to mine since you live close anyway." I offer, not expecting him to suddenly freeze,

"How do you know where I live?" he asked accusingly, making me realise my mistake. I feel the heat rushing to my cheeks,

"Err, I, I saw you jogging home while my little brother and I went to the park." I explain, trying not to make myself sound as if I was stalking him.

"Oh," I can see he is putting the pieces together, "No, it's okay I'll walk home." He gives me a  reassuring smile before starting to make his way home. 

Leaving me standing alone, I process what just happened in my mind. Do I really want to go back to home and do nothing? Without I thinking, I swiftly stepped forward and leaned to grab his hand. 

"Marcus!" Realising what I had done, we both look down at our hands intwined. Heat rising to my cheeks for the second time, caused me to quickly let go, meeting his expression I see him smiling,

"Yes?" he asked expectantly,

"I'll walk home with you," I offered before I could stop myself, "I mean, that's if you want, to return the ice-cream and all."

"Yeah," his kind eyes twinkled in the day light as he nodded a thanks. "That'd be cool."

 He turned to continue walking, but this time, with me by his side. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1M 88.2K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...
106K 3.2K 31
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...
48.2K 1K 54
not you're average mafia brothers and sister story.. This is the story of Natasha Clark, an assassin, mafia boss, and most of all the long lost siste...
3.8M 89.1K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...