After ✔

By rain9939

- PTBB #2 "Who the hell are you?" Valencia Morgan has dedicated two years of her life caring for the guy she... More

Foreword and Cast
01
02 | Dani
03
04
05
06
07
08 | Dani
09| Gabriella
10
11 | Dani
13
14
Ultimatum
15 | Dani
16
17
18
19 | Nate
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28 | Dani
29
30
-
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
Epilogue
p l a y l i s t
A/N

31

7.4K 335 52
By rain9939

Updating from Dubai Airport :D

"Where's Nate gone too anyways?" I ask as Dani emerges from the bathroom, dressed in clean, warm clothes. His hair is damp though, and he passes me a knowing look.

"Where do you think?"

I do have a few places in mind, and for someone who has never been to NewYork before, let alonr America, Nate sure is quick to navigate.

I make space for him on the couch, but he first goes to the fridge and grabs himself a bottle of whisky.

"Really?"

"What?" He shrugs. "It's supposed to give you warmth."

"Give you warmth?" I ask.

"Provide warmth. Whatever. In case you haven't noticed, English isn't my first language."

"I wasn't making fun of your grammar!" I call out, but he's hardly listening anymore. 

He pours himself a glass and chugs it down. Then he pours himself another.

At this rate, he was going to get drunk in no time. 

"Wanna watch a movie?" I ask.

"." He replies. "Have any good ones in mind?"

He comes over to the couch, bottle in hand and all, and drops down next to me with his feet on the coffee table.

I shake my hair just like he did in the car, and droplets fall everywhere. I'm wearing one of his old sweatshirts that he was oh-so-kind to lent to me, and my tights that have already dried. 

He groans. "Why do you have to be so--"

"Annoying?" I say, flipping my hair mockingly.

He mutters something in Spanish which I don't catch. But I still pretend I understand.

"Hey, I know Spanish too." I narrow my eyes. 

"Really?" He asks sarcastically.

"Yeah, you gave me Spanish lessons."

"I must be a pretty bad teacher then."

I knock his feet off the table with the remote. Before they can reach the ground, he simply lifts them back up again.

"You just insulted yourself, so there."

"You're being such a child."

"Well you're being a toddler."

He sighs and eyes the remote. "What do you want to watch?"

"Anything." I shrug. "As long as it's not in Spanish."

"What do you have against Spain?"

Boy, there we go again.

"If I held a grudge against your country, I wouldn't be living in it."

"You were living with my mother." He says exasperately.

"In Spain." I reply, shaking my head. "Where's this conversation leading to anyways?"

He opens the bottle and takes another chug at it. "No idea. Movie?"

Was he asking me for my suggestion?

I gave it anyways. 

"Legally Blonde." I smile. 

He makes a face. "No." He dead-pannes.

"C'mon, it's a classic!"

When he shakes his head, I try, "Good Will Hunting?"

"You just wanna gawk over Matt Damon."

"I do not." I scoff. "You decide then."

Instead of replying, he puts his bottle of whisky on the table and walks over to the TV. He picks out a CD from the rack and inserts it into the driver.

He comes back and sits on the couch.

"The Oxford Murders." He says. "Watched it?"

"Never even heard of it." I reply.

"Well, it's like a mix of a Brontë book and Angels and Demons."

Before I can reply, the movie starts. When the title rolls in, I quickly jump up and draw all the curtains and lock the windows to make sure the rain doesn't bother us too much. By the time I come back to the couch, some professor on the screen has already begun his lecture.

"Oh, the butterfly effect." I pipe up. It was an interesting theory and one of the few I believed in.

The fact that a flutter of a butterfly's wings could cause a hurricane on the other side of the world wasn't necessarily true, but it was the meaning that came behind it.

One little thing that we did could cause our entire world to change.

When the old lady came onto the screen, Dani said, "She reminds me of Miss Havisham."

"You've read Great Expectations?" I blink at him.

"When I was a child."

By the time the old lady was murdered, Dani and I were exchanging arguments and reasons as to who really did it. I kept pointing at the professor, whilst Dani argued in his favour.

An hour and a half later, when the movie had ended and so had Dani's bottle, I looked up and beamed. "It was the professor."

"But it also wasn't." Dani shrugged. He switched off the TV and leaned back into the couch.

Dani's phone buzzed, and the word ma lit up on the screen.

He grabbed it off the table and opened the message. Turns out, Amelia was going to be late from work.

"Speaking of mothers," Dani murmurs. "How come yours didn't come to meet you." He pauses. "Unless she's dead, in that case, no offense."

"That whole sentence was offensive." I reply, clearing my throat. "But no, me and my mom don't really get along well."

"Why?" He frowns.

I shrug. "We're too different, I guess. She's very, um, liberal with her choices."

"Cheated on your father?"

"I have my doubts. It's just..." I stopped and turned around half way so I could face him. I rested my elbow on the couch and my head on my hand. "My dad really loved her, you know? And she threw him away like that love didn't matter."

"Well, your dad seems really happy now."

"He's married to the first girl he ever fell for." I grin. "He's happy, and I'm glad."

Dani smiles. "Guess it worked out. Who does your brother live with?"

"My mom had custody of him until half a year ago. Now he lives in his college dorm."

Thunder suddenly crackles through the sky, making me squeal.

And for a moment, everything is quiet.

"What do we now?" I ask him.

"Another movie?"

"This time, I'm choosing."

"Seems fair." He says.

I get up and eye the CDs on the rack.

When I see it, I smile.

I put it in and wait until it starts before heading back to the couch.

"The Breakfast Club?" He asks.

"Shh, it's amazing."

I rest my head back as the characters appear on the screen on by one.

We watch the entire movie in silence, and by the time Don't you forget about me starts, my eyes are beginning to get wet with tears. 

"Don't tell me you're crying." Dani groans. "Nobody even bloody died this time!"

"You know," I lean forward to grab a tissue. "I always wondered what would happen the following Monday. Like would they get together?"

"Probably not." Dani stated bluntly. 

I threw him a look of disdain.

"Hey, the ugly truth is better than a lie." He puts his hands up in surrender. "They were living in the moment. I bet that white chick and the rebel would have a few flings or whatever, but it's not going to work out, trust me."

"I believe it would." I said. "They're going to marry and make beautiful babies."

"Why do you have to be some optimistic?" He asks. "It's all rainbows and butterflies for you, isn't it?"

"Not always." I say, my voice dropping to a whisper.

He faces me and I'm forced to look into his slate gray eyes.

There's something he's hiding.

But I don't ponder on it because the next second, he's cupping my cheek gently as he begins to lean in.

My heart he gins pounding really loud, and I nearly forget everything. 

Our eyes flutter close, but before our lips can meet, the front door opens with a bang!

"I got dinner!" Nate yells.

Moment totally over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 1K 65
(Completed; Edited) #Second Place in the Grand Dame Awards (14th February 2019) hosted by Majestic Inc. #Reader's Choice Award (23rd February 2020) i...
Lost Love By Phoebe

Teen Fiction

678K 15.8K 30
They thought their love was infinite, but what if only one of them can remember their past? Imogen Howard has woken up from a head injury suffering f...
17.1K 954 31
What will you do when something which is your is not yours anymore? One forgotten promise.. One who remember. One who forget. Heart Break. Betrayal. ...
54 0 40
My name is Destiny Daniels. I'm nineteen years old and starting my senior year of high school. I'm known as the freak in the school. I struggle ev...