Against All Odds [COMPLETED]

By HeyShayHey

The story of two girls, from different walks of life, entering college as freshmen. Summer Williams, who spen... More

Characters
Chapter 1 "Summer"
Chapter 2 "Skylar"
Chapter 3 "Move in"
Chapter 4 "The Meet"
Chapter 5 "Mama Chelle"
Chapter 6 "The Carter's"
Chapter 7 "Team Work"
Chapter 8 "Party"
Chapter 9 "Danger"
Chapter 10 "Wait, WHAT?"
Chapter 11 Part 1 "Dance"
Chapter 11 Part 2 "Girl Fight"
Chapter 12 "Instagram, Really?"
Chapter 13 "Turn on The Lights"
Chapter 14 "Christmas Eve"
Chapter 16 "New Beginnings"

Chapter 15 "Merry Christmas/NYE"

443 31 8
By HeyShayHey

Christmas Day

Summer "Kk"

I woke up and automatically felt happy that it's Christmas! It's my favorite holiday to celebrate. I checked my phone to see it's only 7 am, but I'm so hype it's Christmas!  I got out of my bed & went to see if my mom was up. I peeked into her room & she was completely knocked out. Drool and everything. I went to my bathroom and washed my face & brushed my teeth before heading to the kitchen.

I decided to make us breakfast, but then I thought about making food for everyone. I grabbed my robe and slippers and made my way inside the main house. I went up to Skye's room & saw she was fast asleep. She'll be alright. I began shaking her to wake her up.

"Morning sleepy head! Merry Christmas!" I said in a sing-song way.

"Really KK?! It's 7 am!" She said.

"I'm fully aware. Let's go make breakfast for everyone!" She laid back in her bed, and began adjusting her eyes to the sun. Finally, she stood up to her feet. She went to her bathroom to do whatever & I decided to go ahead to the kitchen.

I took out all the food & pans we'd need for breakfast  & decided we should make French toast, grits, eggs & bacon. That seems like a good food spread so I began turning different eyes on the stove. Skye stood beside me & helped make the mix for the French toast while I cracked the eggs.

"You know I've never got up to cook Christmas breakfast before. Momma's gonna be so shocked." Skye said.

"I always do this for my Mom so it's kind of like tradition to wake up this early." I said. We continued to cook in silence because 1) we were getting hungrier just looking at all the food & 2) we're still tired from staying up late after the family dinner last night.

"Skye can you finish stirring up the grits while I go wake up my Mama?" I asked.

"Sure. I'm gonna call mine from the intercom." She replied. I left to head back to the guest house & saw my mom in the kitchen about to fix some cereal.

"'Merry Christmas Mommy!" I said. I gave her a hug and placed the milk back in the fridge.

"Merry Christmas baby....AYE I'm about to eat!" She said.

"Don't eat the cereal. Me and Skye made breakfast for everyone so come on." I said. She grabbed her robe & slippers & we walked back to the house. We greeted everyone at the table & said grace.

"I can't believe y'all cooked breakfast for us." Auntie Bey said.

"Right. I'm surprised Skylar knows how to cook cause she's never been near a stove." Uncle Shawn joked.

"Uh hello. I'm sitting right here." Skye said pouting. We all laughed.

"So after breakfast y'all ready for presents?" Auntie Bey asked.

"Uh duh! I'm actually finished!" Skye said running towards their living room. I shook my head & while everyone headed that way, I made my way back to the guest house to get my presents I bought for everyone.

Beyoncé

Once Summer came back into the room with a bag, we started passing around gifts. Of course we didn't exclude Michelle and Summer from gifts, even though it was a last minute thing for them to stay with us. Luckily I planned on getting them gifts anyways. What I didn't expect was Summer having gifts for all of us.

"Okay here's your gift Unc." Summer said to Shawn. He opened it up and smiled. It was a set of Michael Strahan ties.

"I know you probably have a bunch of ties but I liked this set for you." She said. He held up two ties with a pair of cufflinks.

"Thank you Summer. I love it!" They hugged and now it was my turn to give Michelle and Summer their gift.

"Okay here's your gift Michelle and Summer." I said to them.

"Oh you really didn't have to..." Michelle said as she opened her gift. It was a pair of classic black Yves Saint Laurent heels and sunglasses to match.

"Oh my God. These are AMAZING!" She got up and started dancing and gave me, Shawn, & Skye a hug.

"Are you kidding me??!??!" Summer said. We all looked her way and I started smiling my goofy smile. Her gifts were 2 full bags of clothes from Ivy Park, Top Shop, and Nordstrom. She also had a Nike card.

"Like where's the gift card amount. It's not written." She asked.

"It's unlimited so you can get as many shoes you want. It also goes for Michelle. That was Skye's idea since she's their ambassador." I said.

"Awww bestfrannnnnnn" We all laughed as the girls embraced. Summer came over to hug us and went back to her bag.

"Okay so I thought long and hard about your gift auntie so I hope you like it." Summer said. I looked at her curiously and slowly opened my gifts.

It was two bags & she told me to start off with the smaller bag first. It was a necklace with "Auntie B" engraved in cursive letters & the next bag were 2 drawing sketches of me framed. One in color & the other in black and white.

"Did you draw these Summer?" I asked.

"Yes...I did it with different pencils & it's called realism drawings. I see you over there looking kinda jelly Unc so I made you one too." She said. We busted out laughing and Shawn really did look like a little kid seeing his drawing.

"Thank you so much. I love my gifts. Come gimme hug!" I said.

Once Skylar gave me and Shawn our gifts, Summer did the same thing for Michelle. She got her a purple Fitbit watch and Michelle gave her an iPad mini.

"Really mom? This is so cool! You didn't have to get me anything." Summer said.

"You're too sweet of a daughter to not give you the best." She replied. Awww I almost cried at their exchange. They're really the best mom/daughter duo and not everyone is blessed to have that bond. I know I'm grateful I have the same relationship with Skylar.

"Alright girls. You both got matching gifts so open them up at the same time." I said. Michelle already knows what we got them & was just as excited as us to see their reaction.

The girls tore the wrapping paper up and screamed once they saw their boxes. They both got Canon cameras with all the equipment you can imagine. For Summer, since she's focused with dancing, she has a video stabilizer so her choreography will be recorded professionally as she teaches. For Skylar, she's focused with singing, modeling, and YouTube so she has a ring light & tripod set.

"THIS IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!" Summer screamed. We continued chilling and looking at our gifts for the remainder of morning.

~~~~~~
New Year's Eve

Michelle

Beyoncé and Shawn invited all of their friends and family to their house for a New Year's Eve party, and I'm so excited I got to invite Kelly & her hubby. They came through the entrance of the guest house so they could see the place and chill before we walked to the house.

"It's so beautiful Chelle. It's like a mini mansion behind the big mansion." Kelly said. "You even have a theater room in here gurllll." She continued. I busted out laughing.

"Girl I wake up amazed everyday at this place." I said.

"They seem like really nice people." Kelly said. She was in my bathroom doing my makeup for me.

"Girl you don't even know the half. They're truly a blessing & I thank God for them everyday. They actually inspired me to go back to school and finish my degree." I told her.

"Really? You should definitely do it. Will you have to take out a lot of loans though?" She asked.

"I have 2 years left for nursing school & I won't have to take out too many loans. The school reduces my tuition fee by 45% for employees, and since I don't have to worry about rent for now, I can use my checks for buying books & making sure Summer is comfortable." I said.

"I'm so happy for you sis! My brother is looking down at you and Summer with so much joy." She said.

"What you not gon do is get me in a full cry while you're beating my face!" I joked as I wiped my tears. Just thinking about my husband makes me emotional because I miss him everyday. I'll probably never move on because he was truly the only man I ever loved since childhood.

"I didn't mean to make you cry...I'm just really happy for you two. Alright dry those tears so I can finish." Kelly said. She finished and we all walked inside the main house. Summer was already there hanging out with Skye's friends.

The house was beautifully decorated and from the photo booth to candy bar, they had everything you could think of.

Once the countdown began for the new year, I grabbed my champagne glass and stood next to my baby.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1... HAPPY NEW YEAR!" Everyone yelled. I hugged Summer and everyone else I knew and continued dancing and having fun.

If these past two weeks have turned around for me and my daughter, I just KNOW the new year is going to be amazing!

******COMMENT, VOTE*****

Things are finally looking up for Michelle and Summer.

If there's anything you'd like to see in this book, comment your thoughts!

I'm thinking of having this book come to an end, but I want to see the characters develop a little more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.3K 1.2K 46
By xrecexbellax As best friends, Beyoncé Consuelos and Shawn Carter can't seem to stay away from each, despite being married. The series of events t...
36.5K 1.2K 20
Kellyoncé Get some tissues
36.5K 1.7K 32
Beyoncé and Jay are part of your everyday family. Beyoncé is a world know doctor while Jay is a business man and their two daughters are beautiful...
40.2K 6.8K 17
Cover by African Cover Shop @africanliterature #526 in short story [14-01-2018] #810 in short story [01-01-2018) An intriguing story of three univers...