flashback

By amavalentine

I looked at him and stuck out my pinkie. ❝pinkie swear?❞ ❝pinkie swear.❞ He gave me his, and we swore on it. More

o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i c k s
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n 1
f o u r t e e n 2
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t h e e n d

t w e n t y - t h r e e

125 12 5
By amavalentine

Chapter 23

Fletcher

Danyelle’s father moved quicker than I had ever seen. He caught her before she took a real spill on the shards. He stared exasperatedly at her mother before gently setting Danyelle down on the couch nearby and running a hand through his curls. They were like mine—well when my hair had been straight—and I liked him right away.

“Come again?” he said to Ceon, who was staring with worried eyes down at Danyelle.

“I said, I said—”

“Speak up, boy,” he said.

Ceon’s eyes snapped up from Danyelle and he swallowed. I knew his throat was dry…He was afraid.

I stepped forward.

“Danyelle came to help me.” I said, before staring down at her. She looked haggard out, and then I thought about the stress she must have carried on her shoulders. Her mother sat, her brow furrowed, trying to wake her up.

“I used to live in the SO,” I said, staring her father in the face. My eyes did not waver. “And they wanted to split us up because of funding. So the 4 of us,” I said, gesturing to Ceon and S&M, “Well, we ran off. Joe let us live in the deli undercover for a while, and when he died, we just…” I searched for the right words. “Stayed.”

Danyelle’s dad grunted, but said nothing, and I respected him even more for it.

“Ceon only has a—well, had—a bagging job at the market, so I realized all 4 of us couldn’t live on his $200 a month. Besides, we needed water and light and stuff, so I took Sarai and Matt and tried to look for another place to settle down and Ceon could join us later. I asked Dan to help.”

Danyelle’s mother was frozen in place.

“But,” Ceon said, finally finding his voice, “What they both didn’t know was that in just a few days authorities would legally have to stop looking for the 4 of us, 5 years after we initially ran away. But if we were caught,”

“You’d get thrown back into the SO,” Mr. McKenzie finished.

I nodded.

“So Danny came back for us with Ceon!” Matt piped up, awake.

Mrs. McKenzie smiled faintly, and Danyelle stirred.

“Huh?” she said.

“Nothing,” I said. “I was just telling your parents what happened.”

She looked expectantly at her mom. “Mom,” she said. “Please help them.”

“You didn’t have to ask,” her mom said.

Ceon breathed a sigh of relief.

“I’ve been neglecting you quite a bit, and I realize that…”

“So have I,” said her dad. “So I’m staying.”

Danyelle shot up straight. “Really?”

“Really.” He grinned. His nostrils flared quite a bit, but I liked it.

I took a mind-picture just then as they hugged.

I didn’t know them that well, but I would in the months to come, and they would be the parents I lost, and so much more.

It’s corny—I know—but it’s true.

And I don’t give a damn.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 98 23
Why did we promise? If you couldn't keep it through. Should I have listened? I guess the monster was under my bed the entire time. ...
42.5K 1.5K 77
This is my first AU story! (Bughead AU story)
1.1K 23 18
"𝐢 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰, " 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐚 𝐠𝐮𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐟...
12K 452 38
"So, let me get this straight," I looked at him weirdly, raising my hands slightly in exclamation. "You like me?!" I asked him in disbelief. "Like or...