Oblivion (A Stiles Stilinski...

By _hogwartian_

"Into the mouth of oblivion I step. The sound echoing; like the beat of my heart. No turning back now, no roo... More

Oblivion - A Stiles Stilinski/Teen Wolf Fanfiction
Chapter 1 - Before the Storm
Chapter 2 - Open Wound
Chapter 3 - Just a Bottle of Wine
Chapter 4 - Risk and Reward
Chapter 5 - Ice Bath
Chapter 6 - Throwing Punches
Chapter 7 - Moonstone
Chapter 8 - Virginal
Chapter 9 - Boxing Match
Chapter 10 - Nightmares
Chapter 11 - Warriors
Chapter 12 - Power of Will
Chapter 13 - Gone Rogue
Chapter 15 - Unhealed Wounds
Chapter 16 - Chaos
Chapter 17 - The Infamous Glen Capri
Chapter 18 - Flares
Chapter 19 - Amazing Grace
Chapter 20 - Taken
Chapter 21 - Currents
Chapter 22 - Burn
Chapter 23 - Locked In
Chapter 24 - Seeing the Whole Board
Chapter 25 - According to Plan
Chapter 26 - Adrenaline Rush
Chapter 27 - Breathe
Chapter 28 - Sacrifice
Chapter 29 - Distraction
Chapter 30 - The Move
Chapter 31 - Aftermath
Chapter 32 - Open Doors
Chapter 33 - The Coyote Den
Chapter 34 - The Beast Within
Chapter 35 - Trapped
Chapter 36 - The Mass Murderer
Chapter 37 - Light to Dark
Chapter 38 - Illegal Endeavors
Chapter 39 - Painted
Chapter 40 - Don't Tell
Chapter 41 - Sleepless Nights
Chapter 42 - Shock
Chapter 43 - No Interruptions
Chapter 44 - Pain
Chapter 45 - The Taste of Memories
Chapter 46 - Only Human
Chapter 47 - The Trickster
Chapter 48 - Gashes
Chapter 49 - Shadows
Chapter 50 - Escape
Chapter 51 - Silence
Chapter 52 - Dust to Dust
Chapter 53 - Decisions
Chapter 54 - Purple Veins
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 14 - Pure of Heart

19.4K 383 149
By _hogwartian_

                       ~~STILES POV~~

 My mind keeps drifting back to memories of this past summer. It was hands down the best summer of my life. Every moment I wasn't with Scott trying to distract him from Allison, I was with Emma. We finally got to go on a real date, one without werewolves or kanimas. 

 A smile spreads across my face as I think about all the times Emma sat in the passenger side of my jeep with the windows rolled down, her hair loose, and her bare feet up on the dash as she sang along to whatever song was playing on the radio. I love thinking about her like that because I've never seen her so happy, so free, as I did when we drove around aimlessly. Her spirit never seemed to fade.

 We spent a lot of time out at the small body of water on the opposite side of town where I used to sit with Mom. We even went skinny dipping one night, when the water was warm enough. It was the first time we saw each other naked. Although most nights we would just lay out on a blanket and she would point out to me all of the constellations she and her mother used to admire. Those were my favorite nights.

 I have to keep thinking about all of the wonderful and carefree times we've had together. I need them to stay fresh so that the sight of her killing someone doesn't stick in my mind. I don't want to think of Emma that way. It's not her.

 "What if she's not even here?" I asked Scott, who was walking through the trees a few feet ahead of me. 

 We've been wandering around the preserve for the past ten minutes looking for Emma. It just doesn't seem right. It's like I can feel that she's not here. We're wasting time by searching through the trees, and time is like gold right now.

 "Where else would she have gone?" Scott asked. He pushed away a branch so he could pass through. 

 I don't really have an answer for that, but I'm racking my brain to come up with one. You're the one always figuring it out, Stiles, I repeated Brittany's words in my mind. It just seems like Emma is purposely leading us on this wold goose chase. She covered up her scent for a reason, and I'm not exactly sure it was just to protect us.

 The way I remember Eric explaining this after he returned from Romania, is that once a healer kills they lose themselves in the power. But Emma isn't like anyone else. She's already lost herself once, when she lost her memory. That means she should have a greater chance of finding herself and not letting the power consume her.

 She would have gone somewhere the reminds her of good and happiness, somewhere that gives her a reason to not let the darkness in. We already know she's not at home, and just about everywhere else in Beacon Hills has a traumatic memory attached to it or not one at all. That only leaves one other place.

 "Dude, you coming?" Scott said.

 I didn't realize I'd stopped walking. My eyes were wide as it all began to click in my mind. "I think I know where she is,"

 "What? Where?"

 "We have to get to my jeep," I said. 

 I didn't even wait for him to reply before taking off at full speed in the direction we came. Scott caught up to me with ease, although the adrenaline was helping me to run faster than usual. I dodged past trees and hanging branches, trying to remind myself to breathe as I ran.

 We made it to where I'd parked faster than I anticipated, meaning we must not have covered much ground searching through the trees. Scott was barely in the passenger seat before I whipped the jeep around and sped off in the opposite direction. I didn't bother to buckle my seat belt. There's not enough time.

 "Stiles, where are we going?" Scott asked, breathing hard.

 "It's this place Emma and I went to all the time this summer," I said, panting even more myself. "I used to go there with my mom,"

 Scott didn't say anything, instead he gripped the door handle so hard his knuckles were turning white. I am currently going forty over the speed limit. I don't care though. Eric said it wouldn't take long for their ancestors to show up, so I have to get to Emma as fast as possible.

 "Wait," said Scott, turning his head towards me abruptly. "What do we do once we find her?"

 "I - " I hadn't really thought about it, to be honest. My mission has just been so focused on finding her that I never really thought about what to do if I did. "'I'll talk to her,"

 "Is that gonna work?"

 "We just have to draw her back out, as herself," I said. "I can do it,"

 Scott nodded, but still sat on the edge of his seat. I blew through my third stop sign, knowing that I was getting closer. I was cutting a ten minute drive into about four. I didn't even realize this old jeep could go this fast. Maybe it's hyped up on adrenaline too.

 My tires screeched as I slammed on the brakes and brought us to a stop just outside the clearing. I didn't bother retrieving the keys from the ignition before getting out and heading towards the small body of water. No one's going to steal my piece of crap jeep anyways.

 "Stiles," 

 I stopped and looked over to see Scott holding up Emma's cross necklace. She never takes it off, at least not since she first lost her memory. That feels so long ago now. I grabbed the necklace and walked through the small row of trees surrounding the clearing.

 A thump formed in my throat when I saw her standing on the edge of the water. She had taken off her boots and denim jacket, leaving her in just her bright red pants that made me think of my own and a white tank top. Her toes were curled around the dirt, just barely not long enough for the tips to reach the water.

 "Emma," I said, desperation in my voice. I began walking closer when she didn't turn around. Scott came up behind me, but I turned and gave him a look that made him stay in the trees. "Emma,"

 She turned around and my stomach churned as I looked at her. Her body was stiff, not relaxed and loose like it usually is. The skin on her face had gone white and the dark circles that have taken home underneath her eyes the past few days had gained a pinkish tint. Her navy blue eyes were sunken in darkness.

 I held my breath as she began slowly walking towards me. Her strides were long and she swung her hips as she walked, something that is so foreign to her usual act. A smirk danced on her lips as she neared me. This may be Emma's body, but it's not the girl I fell in love with. 

 "Took you longer than I expected," she said. Her voice was haunting, low and never changing in pitch. She kept eye contact with me, something she struggles to do when she talks to anyone. "Finding me,"

 "This isn't you," I said. I swallowed as she began to circle me like prey.

 "This is a better me," she said, scrunching her nose as she spoke. "A me who isn't weak, afraid, powerless,"

 It hurt to know that she wouldn't have said those things if Emma didn't believe that they were true. She isn't any of those things, and she's done plenty to prove that. If she were afraid she wouldn't have fought off Brittany the night of the full moon until we could get help. She's the bravest and strongest person I've ever met. She's just been through things that no teenager should ever have to go through. That's not her fault.

 "I don't want to hurt you, Stiles," she said. The way she held her chin up sent chills down my spine.

 "Then why come here? Somewhere you knew I'd find you," I said. "You had to have wanted me here for a reason,"

 The look in her eyes seemed to change, but only for a moment. It was enough to let me know that I hadn't lost her, not completely. Emma is still in there, trying to fight her way back through. I just have to help pull her out.

 "To tell you to give up," she said.

 "You know I can't do that," 

 "I didn't give you a choice," 

 I had to keep reminding myself that this wasn't truly Emma saying these things. It was the darkness within her speaking the words from her mouth. I couldn't let what she was saying get to me. 

 "I've made my choice," I said. "And I'll always choose you,"

 She stopped circling me, her bare feet planting themselves on the ground. Her chest rose and fell as she sucked in a large breath. Her eyes lost contact with my own and I knew I had struck some kind of chord. I can do this. I can pull Emma back out. I've already had to help her find herself once before.

 I noticed Scott step forward out of the corner of my eye, but I gave him a look and he stayed where he was. This is up to me. I have my opening, now I just need to push my way through. I have to remind her what it's like to feel love.

 "Do you see this?" I asked, holding up the necklace. I had to keep a tight grip on it, for my sweaty palms threatened the chain to slip out my hand. "It was your mother's last gift to you, a reminder for you to always have faith."

 Her eyes widened as she stared at the necklace. Her face softened and her lips moved to form words, but none came out. Then, she cleared her throat and stuck her chin back up in the air. I was getting closer, but I wasn't quite there.

 "It's some stupid necklace," she said.

 "It's way more than that to you, Emma, and you know it."

 She kept a firm lock with my eyes. The way she was looking at me now reminded me off the way she looked at me when she thought she hated me. I don't like thinking about that time, but right now it was giving me the strength to push even further.

 "It's a symbol of your love for your mother, your sister," I said. "It's a reminder that they are always watching over you."

 "My mother and sister died because someone wanted a little power. Now, it's my turn," she said, her voice gritty.

 "It doesn't always have to be about power, Emma." I said. "I know that you've been hurt and taken advantage of, and it's not right. But power isn't just having the upper hand, it's about having the ability to make a difference to those around you. When it comes to that, you're the most powerful person I know."

 She blinked a few times. Her hand instinctively went to reach for her necklace, but it only caught air. She looked at the sterling silver cross and chain hanging from my grip. I took a breath and stepped forward. Her body shook as she tucked her arms close to her chest.

 "You're not weak," I said. "It's your love for others that makes you strong."

 "No, stop," she said, backing away. "Don't come any closer. I-I don't want to hurt you,"

 Her eyes were darting around frantically and nervously. I ignored her protests, slowly placing one foot in front of the other. "You aren't going to hurt me,"

 "Stiles, no, please,"

 "Being this way, Emma, it's a choice, You can give in to it or fight back. I know you, okay? And I know that you are stronger than whatever this is inside of you telling you to hurt people. It doesn't have to be this way."

 How badly she was shaking made my chest hurt. She's just scared. She's terrified of this thing that's grown inside of her. She was supposed to be the one keeping everyone safe, and the fact that now she's the one they're protecting themselves from unsettles her.

 "I don't know how to control it," she whispered. 

 "Emma, look at me," I said. "You're not gonna hurt me,"

 "I - I..."

 "Shh," I cooed.

 I finally reached her. She was only inches away from me. Her eyes were glazed and her breathing was heavy. Slowly I reached my arm out, releasing a breath when I wrapped it around her and nothing happened. I enveloped her completely, feeling her melt in my arms.

 "I'm so sorry," she sobbed. "I killed her, I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry,"

 I shushed her again, smoothing down her hair. Her body collapsed into mine and I'd never felt more at ease. "You're okay," I said. "You're okay,"

 She was still slightly stiff. I know that this darkness, this urge deep inside her to let the power take over, isn't entirely gone. It never will be. It will always be looming in the background, threatening to rear its ugly head once again. It's just a matter of whether or not Emma allows it to. 

 She's not going to be the same after this, I've already accepted that. There's no way you can kill someone and get to the other side of the experience unchanged. But that feeling of recognizing the fact that's she's killed someone, that's enough to restrain her from doing it again. I'm sure of it. 

 Suddenly, a loud howl echoed all around us. Emma stood back up straight and I peered at Scott through the dark. His eyes were wide and his ears perked up. It had to mean something. He wouldn't have that expression on his face if it didn't.

 "That was Eric," he said. I heard Emma suck in a sharp breath. "They must be here. We have to go,"

 "Who's here?" Emma asked.

 "I'll explain on the way," I said, grabbing her by the arm and running after Scott towards my jeep. 

 There wasn't time for Emma to get in the back, so she squeezed herself in between me and Scott. I took off at full speed towards Emma's house, where Scott had informed me was the source of the howl. 

 "You have a voicemail from Eric," said Scott, looking at my phone. I realized I must have left it in the jeep when I went after Emma. 

 I grabbed my phone and typed in the four digit passcode to my voicemail, waiting impatiently for it to play. He left it just ten minutes ago, which makes me nervous to hear the contents. Finally, the message began to play.

  "Stiles, listen to me," Eric's voice was soft, but urgent. "They're here and we can't hold them off much longer. You need to find Emma and pull her back. It has to be you, Stiles. It's your lo - "

 His voice was broken off and there was a scratching of some sort on the other line. "When are you going to realize?" It was an unfamiliar voice, feminine but with an accent I couldn't quite pinpoint. "You cannot save her."

 "I...can't..." It was Eric's voice again. It was muffled and it sounded as though he was fighting for air, like he was being choked. "But...he can,"

 Then, the line went dead with a sharp crack. Scott and Emma were both looking at me with wide eyes. It was supposed to be me all along. I was the one who could resurface the Emma that we all know and love. 

 "We have to get you to them and prove that you're not over the edge anymore," I said.

 "Who's them?" Emma asked. 

 I gave a heavy sigh. "Your ancestors,"

 She leaned back in her seat, folding her hands in her lap. "They came to kill me,"

 I guess I should have figured that Eric would go deeper into his discoveries in Romania with Emma than the rest of us. Or maybe he never thought it would happen, so he didn't feel the need to let us in on it. Emma was never supposed to be the one to crack.

 The rest of the speedy drive to her house was silent. We were all nervous, unknowing of what to expect when we got there. What if they don't believe us that Emma isn't feeding off the power anymore? What if they don't care? I won't let them kill her. I can't stand by and watch her die. Not again.

 We could hear the crashes sounding from inside when I pulled into the driveway. The three of us hurried out of the jeep, me keeping Emma close by my side. Scott rushed into the house first, a solid roar coming out as he transformed. 

 I kept Emma behind me as the scene inside seemed to freeze. Eric, Isaac, Derek, and Cora were scattered around, all bruised and bloody. The furniture was all smashed to pieces and there were holes in the walls. In the middle of the room stood two women I didn't recognize. 

 The shorter of the two stepped towards me. She walked smoothly, with her hands folded in front of her. Her skin was pale and her hair an off-shade of white. Even though the other woman had darker features, this one scared me more.

 "Emma Brisbane," she said. It was the same voice I'd heard on Eric's message. I hid Emma further behind me. "Step forward."

 "She's not what you think," I said. "I pulled her back,"

 "You cannot save a rogue," she said. "It has never been done,"

 "Yeah, well it has now," I said. There was a surprising amount of confidence in my voice. 

 She peered around me to get a look at Emma. Emma stepped out from behind me. There was a sense of determination on her face. She knew that she had to make this sacrifice before the people who have been fighting for her get hurt any worse.

 "It doesn't control me anymore," said Emma. 

 The woman narrowed her brown eyes. "Then prove it."

 Without warning, I was lifted off my feet and thrown against the nearest wall. I was held there, my legs dangling in the air and a tight hold around my throat. I coughed, trying to find air. Black spots dotted my vision and the light-headedness was already beginning to settle in.

 "Stop!" Emma shouted. "What are you doing? Stop! You're hurting him!"

 "Does it make you want to hurt me?"

 Emma's jaw tightened and she balled her hands up into fists. Her eyes were beginning to go dark again. I tried to say something, but the hold around my throat was too tight. I wasn't sure if I was going to pass out or suffocate.

 "Emma, you have to fight it," said Eric. He was trying to lift himself off the ground. His face was scattered with cuts and bruises, small amounts of debris littering his hair.

 "She must do this on her own," said the woman. 

 Eric looked as though he had sucked in a sharp breath. He went to speak, but no words were coming out. I was getting the feeling that these aren't just any ancestors of Emma's. These women must be something different entirely.

 Emma squeezed her eyes shut. Her face was turning a bright red. She was fighting it. The urge to kill the woman and save me was lessening within her. My head went dizzy and the rest of my body limp. I can't take this hold much longer. But if Emma can hold on, then so can I.

 "I - " started Emma. She opened her eyes. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

 I fell to a pile in the ground. Scott rushed over to me, patting my back as I coughed and sucked in as much air as I could. I looked at him and nodded, letting him know that I'm okay. I may have nearly just been suffocated, but I'm okay.

 The woman took another step closer to Emma. "How can we be so sure you will not relapse and kill again?"

 "Because I know what it can do," said Emma, her chest heaving. "And I know how to fight it,"

 "They all say that!" The dark-haired woman spoke, her voice was sharp and high-pitched, a high contrast to her pale companion. "You should have ripped her heart out by now!"

 "This one is different, Adelina," said the pale woman, not taking her eyes off of Emma. "She has too much love in her heart."

 "Well, if you're not gonna do it, then I will," said the dark-haired one, Adelina I'm assuming.

 She began walking towards Emma, but the pale one forced her back. "It takes a certain amount of love, and a certain amount of courage to fight the urge to protect the one you love the most, in order to protect everyone else. She is no longer pure, but her love is eternal."

 She took another step towards Emma, her eyes narrow.

 "But let me make one thing very clear," she said. "If you lose control again, for whatever reason, we will not be so lenient. Am I understood?"

 Emma nodded.

 "Say it!"

 "I understand," said Emma quickly.

 The woman inhaled a deep breath. "Very well. You have a good heart, Emma Brisbane. Do not force us to rip it from your chest. We will be watching you."

 She turned around and looked at the dark-haired woman. Emma stood, frozen, possibly out of fear, though I'm not entirely sure.

 "Come, Adelina," said the pale woman. "You have had enough of your fun here,"

 Adelina obeyed her with a glare. She stepped over Isaac, who was clutching a sliver of wood that was dug into his side. "Werewolves," she said, spitting on the ground. The two walked out of the house, the door shutting behind them without either of them touching it.

 Emma released the breath she had been holding. As she forced her smile at me, all I could think was that I hope this is the last time we ever have to see those two. I guess there really is a reason that witch rhymes with bitch.

--------------------------------------

Thanks so much for reading!

This chapter gave me a lot of trouble and I don't know why. So if it seems choppy or off or anything I apologize. I had this scene in my head and I struggled finding a way to put it into words.

Thoughts? ;)

Thanks again and don't forget to comment, vote, and follow!

GIF not mine.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

-Alyssa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

617K 37.6K 102
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
13K 1K 12
When 16 year Unique Name ™ found her hot and rich mate Damien under unpredictable circumstances, her story progresses like every other werewolf book...
570K 12.8K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.1M 49K 95
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC