Flat Tire

By scallison

Every night, Jamie gets a lift home from his co-worker, Will. (Not so) coincidentally, Jamie has been hopeles... More

epigraph;
i; jamie
ii; will
iii; jamie
iv; will
v; jamie
vi; will
vii; jamie
viii; will
ix; jamie
xi; jamie
xii; will

x; will

14.7K 1K 68
By scallison

"Sorry to my unknown lover / Sorry I could be so blind / Didn't mean to leave you / And all of the things that we had behind." - Halsey, 'Sorry'

Today, typically, the shop is busier than ever. This is possibly because the day started off sunny and bright, then out of nowhere a sudden downpour of torrential rain forced the crowds of shoppers into the nearest shelter. I'm rushed off my feet making drinks but my mind is completely preoccupied. Just like the entire night last night, I can't get those kisses or that conversation out of my head. Every time I shut my eyes, all I saw was his wide, pleading eyes and his vulnerable expression. I'm in love with you.

I'm clearing the empty mugs off deserted tables when a middle-aged woman with chin length hair streaked with highlights approaches me. She has that look, the one that means -

"Excuse me, I'd like to speak to the manager."

- Yep, there it is.

I sigh inwardly, plastering on my best customer friendly smile. "What can I help you with?"

She looks me up and down, lips curled into a disapproving sneer. "You're very young to be a manager."

"I'm not," I reply, subtly trying to head back to the safety of the counter and out of the earshot of so many customers. "My parents own this place but they're not here right now so I'll help you instead. I'm Will Flint."

The woman stares at me blankly. I seriously wish I'd just asked my Mum for the day off today.

"You know," I say slowly. "Will Flint, of Flint's Books. So I'm afraid if you have an issue I'm the one you need to talk to."

The woman sighs heavily, then launches into a complaint about how she's adamant that she got full fat not skimmed milk and then I had the audacity to not take her loyalty card to be stamped. By the time I've finished dealing with her, I'm ready to go home. The meagre couple of hours of fitful sleep I got last night have not prepared me for this.

I text my Mum, who's at home on a day off, asking as politely as I can if she can come in to cover for the remaining couple of hours. She replies to tell me that unless it's an emergency I'll have to finish my shift as she's dealing with a crisis at her sister's. Knowing my Aunt, this is most likely a case of having nothing to wear for a date, but I don't give that a second thought once I read the latter part of the message.

Do u know why Jamie's quitting? Thought he seemed happy here x

I've never wanted so badly for a shift to end as I do right now, glancing at the clock and seeing that I still have over an hour left until closing time. But every time I try to leave the counter and go to find Jamie, another customer approaches. Normally, I don't mind being busy as it means that business is good for my family, but now I long for the seemingly never-ending stream of people wanting coffee to just choose the Starbucks down the road instead.

Jamie loves books more than anyone save for my grandfather; he loves working here, that's what he always told me. I can't even convince myself that his resignation isn't entirely my fault because of what happened last night. I feel sick.

Eventually, the hand on the clock on the wall opposite crawls to mark eight o'clock and the final couple of customers make their way out into the still heavy rain. With my heart pounding, I storm across the shop to the till at which Jamie works.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.9K 5.4K 18
[COMPLETED] Dominic Stone has a reputation as a respectable, hardworking business owner and he'd like to keep it that way. He considers himself to be...
3.5M 74.8K 37
The story is NOT edited; I apologize for the problem, but I shall edit it as soon as possible. Jasper Lucas is a shy, sweet and easily blushing, 17 y...
570K 23.1K 49
Ethan Calaway has spent his entire life hopelessly in love with his best friend, Noah Anderson. Due to unfortunate complications, his love for Noah's...