Death is only the Beginning (...

By A_Sinful_Writer

The Wildfire Virus. That's the illness the eggheads have called dubbed that has spread alarmingly fast all ov... More

Authors Note
Before the Outbreak
The Beginning of the End
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV

Chapter X

52 22 1
By A_Sinful_Writer

Fear,fatigue, and death went through Candice's mind as she and Jack randown the street, hundreds of moaning and hissing infected men andwomen following them at a fast pace. Some began running in all force,their features more decomposed then their fast walking comrades.Abandoned and crashed vehicles didn't make the run any easier as someblocked the road and proved to be quite the obstacle to dodge.Breathing became more difficult as her lungs begin to burn as theyquickly crawled under a truck that has lodged into the buildings withits cargo container blocking the street. Few infected crawledunderneath but due to the circumstances of the truck, the horde hasto squeeze through the gap of the truck several infected at a time,allowing Jack and Candice to leave the horde quickly behind. They raninto a street where three soldiers stopped them with their riflesraised. Out of breath they had a hard time answering the only soldierwithout a tinted gas mask.

"Whoare you?" asked the soldier.

"I..am..Sergeant...JackHarrison and this...is my wife Candice..Harrison from Swat..DivisionWhiskey-Alpha" stammered Jack as he's catching his breath. Thesoldier ordered the other two to stand down.

"Iapologize for the rude hello. It's good to see fellow law enforcers.I am Lieutenant Binks and these are my comrades Staff SergeantRobinson," The man to the left waved. "And CorporalJenkins" said Binks as the man to the right waved. 

"I'msorry to intrude but we just ran from a large horde that should beupon us at any moment" said Candice as her lungs calmed down abit. Her lungs became stiff as each draw of breath felt like herlungs are on fire. 

"Thanksfor the warning. We are heading to Fenway Park. Would you like tojoin us?" asked Jenkins. Candice and Jack nodded in agreement. "Have you seen two young women, 20 something one brunette one blondby any chance?" asked Candice., frantically looking around, hoping that the two women she just talked about were with the soldiers. Binks shook his head. 

"I'msorry but no we haven't. They most likely are heading towards Fenwaytoo. Hopefully we'll find them there" Sergeant Robinson saidplacing his hand on Jack's shoulder. He just nodded back, a worriedlook printed on his face. The five then proceeded the oppositedirection as they heard loud moaning coming from the street Jack andCandice came from. As the five got closer to the stadium they beganhearing loud gunfire mixed with the loud moaning a large horde ofinfected make. When the stadium came into view and they entered thelarge parking lot, mostly empty of cars, they spot that hundreds ofinfected men and women push themselves against a sandbag barricadethat surrounds the security gates. 

Fromthe windows in the first floor of the stadium, turret fire could beseen, mowing down any infected that pressed itself against thebarricade. A stack of fallen infected has formed and the alive onesstep over the carcasses only to become part of the mound. Theinfected that were approaching the mound spotted the five and beganapproaching them. Through their gunfire a soldier manning the .308caliber M240B turret spotted the them getting surrounded. 

"MajorMardy, I spot five survivors outside. Soldiers and Swat Officers bythe looks of it" yelled the soldier into his radio. A fewmoments later a big built man with a trimmed beard and short, brownhair entered the room. He saw the five firing at all directions asthey formed a circle and shot down the infected that began swarmingaround them. The lieutenants expression didn't change much as hegrabbed his radio and yelled "I want snipers Mortin and Harrisat the eastern turret point and providing cover. Johnson, I want C4charges armed and dropped on the pile of dead freaks" 

"Yessir!" yelled a male voice from the radio. Another few momentslater and two soldiers carrying FN Fal's with long range scopesentered the room and positioned themselves next to the soldiersfiring the turret. 

"Iwant you two to provide cover for Johnson and those five survivorsdown there!" yelled the Major.

"Yessir!" shouted the two snipers as they fired upon the infectedthat swarmed around the five survivors. Candice, whose mind isfocused on the swarming infected, just noticed that considerably moreinfected fell then she and the four others took down. With herperipheral vision she saw the light a gun makes when fired from thewindows of the stadium. Major Mardy looked down as he saw one soldiercarrying several gray sticks while running to the sandbag barricade.He threw the sticks towards the mound of dead infected and gave theMajor watching a thumbs up as he ran back inside. Shortly after, theC4 went off sending the dozens of infected, that pressed themselvesagainst the sand barrier, back in all directions.

Candice and thefour others saw their window of opportunity. Immediately they splitfrom the swarming infected and ran as fast as they could. Bulletsflew past them as the infected behind them fell to the ground. Theinfected by the sand barrier began to get up and one of them grabbedCandice's leg as she shrieked. The soldier called Staff SergeantRobinson saw that and kicked the infected woman in the face. Shedidn't let go so he put a round in her face and pried her hands offof Candice's leg while Binks and Jenkins climbed over the sandbagbarrier. The snipers, the two turrets, and the two soldiers on theother side provided supportive fire as the Staff Sergeant, Jack, andCandice climbed over the sandbag barrier. 

"Keepfiring at them. Don't let them get too close to the barrier" said theMardy before he left. He heard the soldiers respond with a "Yessir!" before they commenced firing. Downstairs he found the fivesurvivors catching their breaths.

"Onehell of a welcome" he said as he approaches the five, "ButI'm glad to see you made it. It's good to see you again Sergeant.Corporal, Lieutenant Binks" said the Major as he shook the handsof the three soldiers.  

"Thetwo of you, I have not acquainted with yet but I'm glad to see youtwo survived as well" said the Lieutenant as he shook Jack andCandice's hand. 

"Thankyou sir but if it's ok, my wife and I would like to get some rest andsomething to eat" said Jack after shaking Mardy's hand.

"It'salright. I'm Major Mardy and there are some food tents set up at thefield. Help yourself to whatever you need" Mardy said with asmile before Jack and Candice thanked him and disappeared through aset of double doors. Crates lie scattered in the hallways as Mardyapproached Binks, Robinson, and Jenkins. 

"I'msorry about Fort Greyesmorre. We lost communication with the otherF.O.B's and nearby bases. I'm afraid that we are the last militarystand point here in Boston. My men know it, and the civilians hereknow it"

"Hasit gotten that bad?" asked Jenkins.

"Noit's been getting worse. A third of my men and a quarter of the civilianshave gotten sick and joined in the ranks of the undead. We had toquarantine them in the first floor. Young children too. We learnedthat when we opened the doors and lost three soldiers and our onlydoctor. The civilians here don't know but after the water has beenshut down, morale from them has shrunk. But as you can see that isjust the small problem. The big problem is the relentless push of theundead. They've been at all day since yesterday, and the day beforethat" said Mardy as they began walking down the hallway passingsoldiers carrying ammunition belts and ammo crates.

"Andthe ammo situation?" asked Binks.

"Wehave enough to keep going like this for a couple more days. But ifthis keeps up we'll be forced to evacuate Fenway but evacuateeveryone" said Mardy as the four entered his office.

"Sir?"asked Staff Sergeant Robinson.

"Ifyou want to say something say it and don't waste my time" saidMardy as he got out a box of cigars and handed Binks one.

"Permissionto join my men sir" 

"Notyet. There is something I need to discuss with you before you go.Please take a seat" said Mardy as he pointed at a chair next toBinks. 

"Therest of you can leave. Get some chow and some rest. This is a discussion between me and Sergeant Robinson" Mardy said, a stern look on his face.The other soldiers nodded and stepped out. 

"It'sbeen hell here Sergeant I'm not going to lie. I've been told you areSpecial Forces correct?"

"Yessir. Part of the 116th Spec Ops Brigade"

"Iheard about them. How many deployments did you have Sergeant?"

"Uh...eight sir. 3 in Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan, 1 classified, and 2 inSomalia. I don't mean to be rude sir but why do you ask?" SergeantRobinson asked, eye brow raised. Major Mardy got up and looked out ofthe window, eyeing the countless tents covering the baseball field.He watched as hundreds of soldiers run through the field like afrantic ant colony. "What I'm about to tell you is hightlyclassified Sergeant so listen up. You properly heard about a similaroutbreak starting in Russia and China a couple weeks prior right?" Mardy asked as he turned to face Sergeant Robinson. The Sergeantshook his head. "Well, we were already aware of this virus beforeit hit the US. The CDC has analysed this virus and found a way tokill it off for good. I honestly don't know how but the informationto produce such an antivirus or weapon was to be put on a flash driveand delivered to Fort Greyesmorre for production and distribution. Iwas in contact with the pilot as the plane went down. He got sicktoo. I sent a small strike team, Strike Team Zulu, to find the chipand bring it here; but I lost contact with them. I can't spare anymore men Sergeant, you can clearly see that. But you, seem to be ableto accomplish tricky situations. I want you to go out there and findStrike Team Zulu. If they didn't make it, retrieve the flash driveand take it to D.C" 

"Thereis still a military presence in D.C?" Sergeant Robinson asked surprised. 

"Iam still in contact with the National Guard there. Get some rest, getsome chow, and tomorrow morning head out and find the missing team.Do you understand Sergeant?" 

SergeantRobinson nodded, a worried look hidden under his tinted gas mask. 

"Good.Here is all the information you will need. I apologize for my crappyhand writing" Mardy said, handing Sergeant Robinson a thin stack ofpapers. With that the Sergeant left Mardy's office.

"SergeantRobinson, damn it's good to see you again" said a soldier as hesaw him enter the southern turret point.

"Youtoo Snake" said the Sergeant as he and Snake shook hands. 

"How'sthe rest of the team?" 

"Notgood sir. It's just me, Borrelis, and Bull. The rest became sick andwere sent to the hospital wing"

"Didthey get bit?" 

"No,they didn't but they had the same symptoms as one with a bite. Thenthey shut off our water and now we rely on what little supplies MajorMardy could put at lock and key from the civies here. It's been hell"said Snake as he continued firing. Suddenly his gun made a clickingsound and the firing stopped. He cursed as he tried to find thejamming problem. At that time the hundreds of infected still alivewere able to break the sand barricade and push through, stepping ontheir dead kin and heading towards the glass door.

"Shitshit shit shit they broke through. Sir! The freaks have brokenthrough at the southern point!" yelled Snake into the radio asfixed the jam and he and his partner concentrated their fire close tothe entrance. In his office the expression on Mardy's face changed toangered as he yelled into his radio. 

"Ineed all not working troops head towards the southern entrance andreinforce it. I want snipers and more turrets to offer assistance atthe southern turret point. 

"MajorMardy! The undead broke through the western point" yelled asoldier through the radio.

"Sir,they are smashing down the door at the northern point we need backup!" shouted another as more gunfire echoed through the halls.The expression of on Mardy's face changed to worried as more callscame in. Finally he snapped back to reality and yelled "Everyone,fall back to the tents and barricade the doors. I repeat, everyonefall back to the fields. Binks you're with me let's go" saidMardy as he grabbed his rifle leaning against the wall and left theoffice. In the fields, Jack and Candice sat at one of the many tablesset up, eating a warm plate of stew when they heard the loud gunfiregoing on. Frightened, the civilians that sat around the two werebeginning to freak out. Candice watched as dozens of civiliansentered the field and closed the gate. Suddenly one set of doorsbroke open and dozens of infected soldiers and civilians broke in.Some of the healthy civilians broke into tears as they recognizedsome of the infected. Inside the field, Staff Sergeant Robinson andSnake ran into the fields moments later. They saw as a group ofsoldiers, including Binks and Mardy, ran into the only Chinook parkedthere. Despite running towards it as fast as the two can, thehelicopter roared with life as it lifted from the ground and tookoff. Candice looked out of the window and watched as dozens ofsoldiers and civilians get surrounded by the undead. Tears rolled outof her eyes as she looked away. Jack saw that and grabbed her as hertears hit his chest.

"Fuckthere goes our ride" said Snake as the helicopter disappearedand the gunfire died down. 

"Wecan't stay here. We have to run to the exit" said the Sergeant as hepointed to the double doors being pushed open followed by dozens ofinfected pouring in. Quickly, the two soldiers ran through the mazeof tents as fast as they could. While running they had to dodge thegrasp of dozens of infected that now begin following them. Suddenly asoldier ran into their path and after realizing it's Jenkins theylowered their weapons.

"Ohthank god. Where are we heading?" asked Jenkins as theycontinued running.

"Anywherebut here" said the Sergeant as he opened fire to a few infectedsoldiers in their way. As they entered the hallway Snake suddenly gotjumped by a group of heavily decomposed infected. Snake screamed inpain as he got his chest and neck torn apart. Sergeant Robinsonwanted to help but the numbers of infected entering grew so the tworan the opposite direction. As they reached the entrance they sawthat the two doors are still closed but dozens of infected arepounding their fists against it. He was about to run down the hallwaywhen Jenkins stopped him.

"Whatis it?"

Hepointed down the hall at a open door marked exit with no infected insight. The two sprinted through that door and did not stop until theydid not here anymore moaning and screaming. By an empty alley theystopped to catch their breath.

"Nowwhat do we do?" Jenkins asked, looking down the deserted alley.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

277 42 13
❝In a world full of fiction and horrors, zombie apocalypse is something impossible. Or is it?❞ In a world where zombies were seen only in TV shows, m...
9.1K 238 12
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin Amidst the...
83.3K 5.8K 45
In a world overcome with disaster and chaos, Em sets out on a perilous journey to find safety. With only determination and perseverance to guide her...
210 16 16
In February of 2009, a man went to the hospital to be treated for a brain tumor. Upon further examination, another unknown virus in this man's brain...