The Hunt

By mlclmfrsr

Vampires and humans used to to live in harmony. Until The Hunt began. Alesco is a 17 year old vampire. She a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 1 (Part 2)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Author's Note

Chapter 27

206 33 2
By mlclmfrsr

Ambrose:

"Who are you?" The director says, still speaking in the wolf language, golden eyes fixed on mine.

"I am Ambrose." I say. "One of the first vampires to walk the island, child of the master."

His eyes flick up and down my human form and I feel my fear multiply. The director smiles as though sensing my discomfort.

"What makes you think you would be any help to me at all?" He says.

"I know the darkness, I know the village. I know the master and he trusts me." I say. I knew the master as a vampire, when I was one of the strongest and wisest and oldest. I could out-fight most. Now, as a human, I am weak. I don't know how the master would receive me.

"You think your master has use of a flesh bag like you? You are no vampire now."

I say nothing. He hasn't killed me yet. His hesitation gives me hope. There must be something he thinks can be gained. I must make it true if I am to get back to Alesco and Leila and Wynn.

The one called Mike is looking between us, I see from his expression that he seems to understand the wolf speak.

"What do you think, Mike?" The director says, turning to his companion. "Will this human be of any use to us?"

Mike looks at me, into my eyes, and his expression is unreadable.

"Well, sir, I guess 'e could lead us to them, maybe go on ahead, like a livin' shield. I doubt his master'll be wantin' anythin' with a human..." Mike trails off.

"You would help us to save yourself, but how do we know that you don't plan treachery?" The director says.

I bow my head a little in submission before I answer. I have to persuade him, though I think he can see right through me. I have to get there. This human body has scrambled my thoughts and the emotions are out of control. It is a strange feeling, I feel like myself, but my body, this shell, betrays me. I take a deep breath.

"All I ask are the lives of my family. Give me those and I shall not betray you. I know the ways, I can lead you, I can show you."

This man, if he is a man, reaches out, still smiling and places a hand on my head. I'm ready for it, I muster images of Alesco andLeila, Wynn and Clemente and hold them at the forefront of my mind.

My heads snaps back and my surroundings dissolve. Each of their faces flash before me. I struggle with all my will to keep them there.

"Very well." The director says. The cell comes back into focus and I see his face. "I see them in your thoughts."

The director turns and walks from the cell, I hear his footsteps echoing down the cavernous hall. Mike stays where he is, watching me closely. I don't dare move. Where is he going? I wonder and the footsteps stop.

Moments elapse and then I hear the footsteps coming back. There is another sound as well now, as though something is being pulled or dragged against the stone. Something heavy. I see an evil smile form on Mike's lips as he looks along the corridor at something I can't see. A heavy dread fills my stomach.

The sound closes in and the director appears in front of my cell. His hand is raised and the dragging sound stops. Instinct kicks in as I see Clemente, suspended in mid-air, appearing in front of me. I leap forward. I don't know what I am going to do, but I know I have to do something.

The director raises his other hand and before I get even a few feet I find myself flying back into the cell wall, hitting it with a hard thud, the air once again expelled from my lungs. I fall the floor.

"Clement..." I breathe the words out with difficulty, struggling with my winded body.

The director fixes his golden eyes on me again. Clemente is frantically pulling at the invisible constraints around his throat, his face turning a bluish hue, his eyes bulging.

"I will let you live, I will let you help me. But this one will stay here. Call it a guarantee, shall we? Mutual gain. I will let you both go once we return victorious. All you have to do is keep your loyalties correct."

He unclenches his fist and Clemente falls to the ground in a crumpled heap. I hear his wheezing and see his body shaking as he gulps in lungfuls of air. I know what it feels like, I remember the delicious and painful taste of air. The raw pain in the throat.

"I will not betray you." I say. And yet somehow I must. Or perhaps not. I must free Alesco, Leila and Wynn. Gather my family together again and get as far from this as possible. Away from the master, away from the humans and magic and fights. And I must return to my vampire form. Leila can change us, return the favour I bestowed upon her.

I wonder if I shall return to my old self. Or if I will be as a new vampire. No matter. Now I must free my family. To do that I must help this creature. I am certain he is not human, nor vampire. He is like the master in many ways. I wonder if they are related, but I dare not ask now.

"Come on, get up!" Mike says to me. I'm still lying on the ground where I fell. I pull myself to my feet, holding on to the wall for support. "You're comin' with me."

I step towards Mike and I look at his face, trying to make sense of him. Is he human? Or something else? But my own human senses are useless and I can detect nothing.

As I step out into the corridor I look from side to side, taking in everything I can see, which is not much in this darkness and gloom. These eyes are useless. Mike moves to Clemente and pushes him forcefully into the cell I just left. As if on command the metal gate descends into place, locking him within.

"Let's go." He says. I glance at Clemente. He is massaging his throat, looking dazed, frightened and unsure. He looks so different in this state, so vulnerable, so weak. Nothing like the hunter who attacked me in the forest, nothing like what he once was. His look strengthens my resolve.

"I will be back." I say through the bars. He says nothing but I think he heard me. I hear the master chuckle as he walks up the hall, away. I feel a hate and rage boiling in my stomach but I suppress it. I cannot fight him, not here, not now. I must free my family.

I turn to Mike and follow as he walks in the opposite direction. We pass cell after cell, all similar to mine. Within them I see others. The red and yellow eyes of vampires and the unmistakable eyes of humans. They are silent, watching, or sitting with closed eyes as though in sleep. What is this place?

"What is this place?" I express my thoughts out loud. Somehow Mike is not as intimidating as the director, perhaps because he is subordinate. But I do not underestimate him, I feel a danger lurking beneath the surface. Beneath his smile.

"Hunters Corps HQ." He says. I hear the smile, hear the enjoyment in his tone.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

Mike stops. We have reached the end of the corridor and a solid, dark wooden door. He looks at me. "We're goin' to war, friend. Ain't it obvious?"

I say nothing. What do they have planned? They want me to lead them to the eternal darkness, to the village, to the house of the master. How am I going to free Alesco? Am I putting her in more danger by helping them?

Mike pulls the door open, it swings heavily inwards. We move through another stone corridor until we reach a ladder. It's even darker here and I can hardly see at all now.

"I'm goin' up." Mike says. "Don't try anythin' stupid, you've got nowhere to be getting to." He starts to climb the ladder. I wasn't planning any attempts to escape. He's right about having nowhere to go. The only place for me to go is back to my family, to get them together and get them away.

There's a creaking noise and light fills the space. I recoil automatically, moving away from the sun. But I felt nothing. No pain. No weakness. One positive thing about this body.

"Come on up." Mike calls down. I reach for the ladder and pull myself up, slowly, awkwardly. I do not feel like someone who used to climb trees and leap from branches with lightness and ease.

Mike reaches out a hand as I get to the top and I take it. He pulls me up and out of the hole with impressive strength. I land on my feet in some grass.

The sun is blazing down and I feel the heat of it on my face, warming me. It's surprising to take comfort in the sun and light. I feel the relief and strength it is giving to my body. I look around, a fence stretches around us, enclosing us in, keeping out the forest and it's inhabitants. A gentle mist rises above the trees, lingering in the leaves as though protecting them from the bright sky.

I look around, there is a gate in the fence. It's closed, but in front of it is a collection of the human vehicles and people and machines. Lots of them. I hear, though not clearly, deep, barking voices, shouting orders and commands. I hear the gentle thud of boots as the uniformed men move amongst their machines, black guns hanging from their shoulders. The machines themselves are purring, ready and waiting. Never have I seen so many humans in one place.

Mike looks at me and smiles. "This is our army, friend." He says, pointing at the obvious. "Them's the ones you'll be leading to the darkness, leading to your old master."

I take it in. How am I going to get away from these? How will the village stand against these creatures and their machines. So many machines. And the guns and darts.

"When do we leave?" I ask.

"Few hours I'd say." He replies. I feel my stomach drop, another feeling I am not accustomed to.

"Come on over."

I follow him to the group. Some of the men stop and look at me, questioning expressions on their faces. Others ignore me and continue what they are doing, checking equipment, readying supplies. We stop at a particularly large human.

"Meet your new recruit." Mike says.

The man looks at me through narrowed eyes, as though sizing me up.

"What use have I for him?" He spits at Mike.

"He knows the way, he knows the path. He'll be leading the group.Them is the director's orders."

The man keeps his eyes narrowed but says nothing else to Mike. He turns to me.

"Right, stand by the gate and don't move. Wait there 'til I tell you otherwise."

I nod and move to the gate. I look round as Mike calls out to me.

"Get ready, battle is comin' soon." He says.

Thanks for reading! Please remember to vote and comment and I hope you enjoyed it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 1.3K 25
Claudia is just like her mother. Rather than sitting on a throne, this princess would rather be out in the world, living her life. And like her mothe...
3.5M 136K 29
[COMPLETED]✔ The Blood Magic Series |Book 1| 2017 Fiction Award Winner for Best Series. ❖A Wattpad Featured Story❖ 2017 Fiction Award Winner for...
18.2K 1.5K 68
*Book 1 of the City of Cain Trilogy* Cover made by @Silverless Lucas and Mason Hallow are 16 year old twin brothers who are attacked in the woods one...
73.7K 2K 31
The past might find it's way back to you. But if your Immortal... Well, that's a whole different story... Alice Harper was in her old town, starting...