Dragon Blood

By mwendlandt

"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed... More

One: Escape
Two: A Life for a Life
Three: More Than They Bargained For
Four: Still The Princess
Five: Time for a Party
Six: Sore Feet
Seven: Threat of Exposure
Eight: Orion
Nine: Uncertain Plans
Ten: Missing
Eleven: Magnificent
Twelve: Taking Care
Thirteen: Home
Fourteen: Found
Fifteen: Two Sides of a Coin
Sixteen: Lavender
Seventeen: Handsome
Eighteen: Blue
Nineteen: They Are Kings
Twenty: Alpha, Beta, and the Next in Line
Twenty-One: Time for the Truth
Author's Note: THANK YOU
Twenty-Two: Do You Promise?
Twenty-Three: You're a Danger to Everyone
Twenty-Four: Wounded Bird
Twenty-Five: Tossing, Turning, and Whispered Conversations
Twenty-Six: It's Only a Week
Twenty-Eight: Sisters Don't Have to Get Along
Twenty-Nine: After All This Time
Thirty: You'll Be Safe There
Thirty-One: A Selfish Man
Thirty-Two: The Enemy of My Enemy
Thirty-Three: On the Road Again
Thirty-Four: Home Again
Thirty-Five: A Head Full of Plans
Thirty-Six: Help Convincing the King
Thirty-Seven: True Mates
Thirty-Eight: Been There Before
Thirty-Nine: Easier to go Numb
Forty: Stubborn Nogards
Forty-One: Promise the Child
Forty-Two: Hate at First Sight
Forty-Three: Back from the Dead
Forty-Four: Little Things
Forty-Five: First Flight
Forty-Six: An Alpha's Approval
Forty-Seven: A Woman Scorned
Forty-Eight: Sides Chosen
Forty-Nine: Ready
Fifty: Our Spot
Fifty-One: Dust in the Wind
Fifty-Two: A Proposition for a King
Fifty-Three: Here
Fifty-Four: A New Twist
Fifty-Five: Drums of War
Fifty-Six: Linked
Fifty-Seven: Blood Red Ruby
Fifty-Eight: A Bond Broken
Fifty-Nine: Lost
Sixty: A Sacrifice
Sixty-One: Valerie
Sixty-Two: A Mating
Dragon Fire is Now Started!
Something Cool to Show You!

Twenty-Seven: The Messenger Arrived

6.9K 430 34
By mwendlandt

He'd missed her terribly.

He hadn't realized just how much until he saw her lovely face light up at the sight of him. Her huge smile and bright eyes eased every worry he'd had upon getting Nana and Olly to bring her to him. His dragon, who had been sulkier than usual, immediately tried to take over to greet the female he's missed so much. Orion held him back, telling him he'd get his chance.

"Orion!" Skylar laughed, advancing toward him. Pieces of her fiery hair had escaped the braid she'd pulled it into and were floating around her face, framing it and giving her a slightly wild look. Her cheeks were flushed with exertion and excitement. She was beautiful.

"Hey," he answered just as brightly. He wondered if she'd missed him as much as he'd longed for her company. He'd never experienced longing like that before, and it was incredibly unnerving, but he hadn't shied away from it. He had a feeling he knew what it meant, but he was too afraid to think it let alone say it out loud to anyone. His dragon was a huge instigator for the feeling, the beast was far more tuned to the primal, instinctual feelings that were a constant presence in their life now, and there was no way for Orion to stop them from overflowing into his human side as well.

Before either of them realized what was happening, and Orion had no idea who had initiated it, Skylar was wrapped in his arms and pressed tightly against his chest. She fit there perfectly, and if he weren't mistaken, she cuddled closer. He thought it was just wishful thinking until he heard her inhale deeply.

She was smelling him. Perhaps her dragon, and maybe even she, had similar feelings as he himself did. He hugged her tighter, locking her in his grasp.

She seemed to realize what she was doing and jumped away from him. Not too fast that he would be offended, not too offended anyway, but she didn't linger.

She tucked her hair behind her ear after glancing back at Nana and Olly, the former with a suspiciously smug smile on her face. He forgot about them as she looked up at him with those blue eyes.

"How are you?"

"Good," he nodded. "It's been a long week, but it's better now."

She grinned. "Yes, much better now."

Their words were slightly forced, maybe even a little awkward, and he had a feeling it was because of their audience. He sent a pointed look to his brother and grandma.

"You guys can go now," he told them. "Thank you for bringing her here."

Olly chuckled. "You don't have long until Dad figures out that he hasn't seen either of you in a while, but we'll hold him off as long as we can."

Orion nodded, although the last thing he was worried about was his father. Nana just smiled and led Olly back the way they came. Orion's focus was back on Skylar before they were even out of sight.

"Hungry?" he asked, motioning to the blanket and food he laid out next to the water. She nodded and allowed him to lead her over to the food.

She didn't speak until after she'd taken a bite of the cheese he had handed her. "How long did you have this planned out?"

"Just since this morning," he answered. He didn't want to tell her why, even though he knew he'd have to. He just wanted to stay here with her for as long as he could without the worries of tomorrow overwhelming them.

"It was a good idea," she said softly. "I missed you."

His pride swelled in his chest at the knowledge. It was nice, knowing that the person you had missed had missed you as well. And this was different than his family; they were obligated to want him around when he was away. Skylar had no such obligations.

"I missed you, too," he told her. "My days have been very boring without someone arguing with me all the time."

"I don't argue all the time!" she laughed. "I wish I could say the same, but Percy and Laura have kept me so busy, my head was spinning most of the time."

Good, so they'd followed his instructions. The idea had been to keep her mind off of what might happen when Kellan got there and anything to do with Draco. He was sure he hadn't succeeded one hundred percent, but he hoped it helped.

"Percy's been training you then?"

She nodded, taking another bite of cheese. "He has. He's a very good teacher," she paused for a moment, her eyes holding his. "I know you asked him to do it."

He couldn't tell if that was a good thing or a bad thing. "I did." It seemed like a neutral enough answer.

"Thank you."

He hadn't been expecting that. "What?"

"I just-- I have a chance now," she reached out to grasp his hand, and he squeezed it tightly. When she'd come into his room in the middle of the night, seen all of his barriers down, he had found no hesitation when he'd crossed a line and grabbed her hand. He was glad that they hadn't backtracked in the last week. "I have a chance."

The sadness in her eyes told him she had accepted her fate and that broke his heart. She didn't have faith in him to protect her, to save her. Yes, he'd tried to give her to resources to save herself, but there hadn't been enough time to really train her. He was still going to do his damn best to keep Leo from sending her away, or from letting Kellan take her. He didn't have any ideas yet, and he was out of time, but he was desperate. He had to make it happen.

"Skylar," he wrapped her hand in both of his own. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you, you have to know that."

"You don't really have a choice, do you? It's okay. I've survived until now, all on my own," she retracted her hand. "I don't blame you for not being able to keep me here."

Well, he blamed himself. He was the future Alpha, and if it were up to him, she wouldn't leave his sight again until Draco was vanquished.

He let out a huge sigh and he couldn't stop himself from moving closer to her. Thankfully, she didn't move away. The look in her eyes was trying to tell him something, but he couldn't decipher it. No one had ever looked at him that way before.

"Surviving isn't all you want to do, Skylar," he told her. "You have to live."

Spending her life on the run wasn't the way for a dragon to live. She needed to be with other dragons, with a clan. And he wanted her here, not on her own or with Kellan's clan.

She just stared up at him, sadness filling her blue eyes. He could sense her dragon there, staring back at him as well. The tension between them became heavy, and he wasn't sure what to make of it. It had taken on a new form that he had no experience with. He'd never felt this with Cassie, and he hadn't ever gotten close enough to any other females for it to ever evolve into something like this.

He cleared his throat, suddenly uncomfortable. "How's, um, how's your dragon?"

His words were enough to cut through the tension and they leaned away from one another. She looked down at the loaf of bread she'd been kneading between her fingers. "She's good, I think. Percy said she's a really fast learner, that she likes flying."

He chuckled. "I could've told you that. She's built for it."

"She is?"

He nodded, pouring wine into a glass and handing it to her. He poured himself one and took a sip before responding. "I know my dragons, Skylar. Long wings, lithe body. Your dragon is a natural born flyer."

"Aren't all dragons born to fly?"

"Not necessarily. Most of us can do it, there are a few variations that can't, but not everyone is a natural. Like me. I'm a strong flyer, and I'm good at it, but my build is all wrong to be efficient and agile at it. Combat is my strong suit, not agility."

She sipped her wine and his eyes locked on her lips as they touched her glass. He swallowed heavily and forced himself to look away, over the lake as it lapped gently against the shore. The sun was almost set at this point, just the last hints of orange appearing above the trees. Leo would be expecting him back soon, but here he could pretend everything was okay, that he wasn't going to mate with Cassie and Skylar was going to stay. His dragon whined and paced in his head. Orion's stress was making him anxious. Skylar's presence was helping, but the dragon could only handle so much.

"Are you in combat a lot?" she wondered, that curious streak of hers continuing.

"Only when Wildlings are encroaching on our territory or bothering humans too much. We have to drive them away, and they usually aren't too happy about it. It doesn't happen all that often, but often enough."

"When was the last time?"

"A month or two before Percy and I left to look for those lost dragons. It was easy enough. The Wildlings didn't feel all that strongly about sticking around."

"Why were you looking for the dragons?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

She shrugged nonchalantly. "I like answers."

"Of course you do," he snorted. "Dad wanted us to find them. Every clan member is valuable, and they left without a trace. We all think they decided to be nomads, but Dad isn't convinced."

She nodded slowly in thought. "Why wouldn't he be convinced?"

Orion cocked an eyebrow. "I'm sorry, have you met him? It's his way or no way."

"Fair point," she chuckled. "But I think I'm starting to be conscious while my dragon is in control."

"Really?" he asked excitedly. That was a huge step in her bond with her dragon.

"Yeah, but I only think so. I don't remember anything specific. It feels more like a dream I can't remember. I know something happened, but no details are coming to me."

"That's great, Skylar. You're getting there. You'll be aware before you know it," he grinned.

"I know. I didn't think I'd be as excited as I am, but-"

"But it means you're becoming a true dragon," he told her softly. "It's something to be excited about."

She blushed slightly and looked up at him. "Wanna go for a flight?"

He was surprised that she suggested this, but his dragon wasn't about to let him deny her. "Of course I do."

He stood up and pulled her to her feet. They quickly cleaned up the meager dinner. She finished her wine in one gulp and he gave her an impressed chuckle. She shrugged and handed him her empty glass. "I've been to a lot of parties and boring dinners."

"I see that. The royal life sounds boring."

"It really isn't so bad," she replied as she followed him to a clearing in the forest so they could take off. "It's all I knew before all this."

"And now that you've had a taste of something else?" he stopped to look down at her, finding himself nervous about her answer.

She hesitated, but answered confidently. "I think I'd find it difficult to go back."

He didn't answer her but he found himself incredibly smug. Of course it wasn't just him that had made an impact on her, but he liked to think that it was.

They walked on in silence, but it was a comfortable one. His dragon was prancing about like a hatchling, waiting to be released to see Skylar's dragon.

"Have you taken off from a standstill before?" Orion asked her as they entered a clearing.

"No," she looked around. "But now seems like a good a time as any."

His appreciated her optimism. "Alright, you shift first and take off. I'll be right behind you."

She nodded and closed her eyes. He felt the air shift as the magic overcame her, and she shifted quickly. He was amazed at how far she came in the last week; she hardly looked like she was in pain anymore, and the motion was nearly smooth. Suddenly, the blue dragon was perched before him, crouching playfully. He smiled at her happily.

"Hello, beautiful," he greeted her, his dragon pushing at the walls of his mind to break free and greet the female dragon. She pushed her snout against his chest, forcing him back a few steps. She hummed, her huge head longer than his body as she leaned against him. He ran his hands up the side of her face, leaning his forehead against hers. He'd missed the feisty dragon almost as much as he'd missed her human half. His dragon growled, upset Orion was keeping him from taking control.

The blue dragon growled softly as Orion pushed her away. He shook his head at her and gave her another shove as she tried to come up to him again. "Go on, I'll be right behind you."

She narrowed her eyes in an extremely human gesture. His first hint that she was definitely becoming more in tune with Skylar. He made a flying motion with his arms, and he saw the understanding in her eyes.

Her long wings began to extend, but the clearing wasn't wide enough for them to open all the way. She quickly assessed the situation, but then she launched herself into the air and pumped them wildly. And she was airborne. It was the first time Orion had seen a dragon take off from a standstill on the first try. Yes, she was born for flight.

He shifted quickly, his dragon excited to finally seen the blue dragon, and took off in one smooth motion.

The blue dragon roared in greeting and the golden dragon moved closer to push his snout against hers happily. He huffed hot air in her direction, pushing his forehead against hers. They stayed that way for a moment, basking in one another's company. Of course, the playful blue dragon wasn't about to let the moment last too long. She moved and gently nipped his jaw before swooping away, inviting him to chase her with a flick of her tail. He was under her spell and had no choice but to follow.

He immediately noticed the difference in her flying abilities. She was more sure of her movements, and more graceful when executing them. Not only that, she was stronger as well. He could see that she was bulkier from exercising her flight muscles, and the sweeps of her great wings were longer and stronger. It was amazing what only a week could do. He was glad Percy was around to guide her, even though he wished that he himself had been able to teach her.

The gold dragon chased after her, easily catching up. He knew that if she was really trying, she would easily outdistance him, but she wanted to be caught. He flew over the top of her and tapped her back with a long leg before dashing upwards, gaining altitude. So she came after him. This continued for a while, this game of tag. The golden dragon had never really been playful, not before Skylar, and now he wondered why. Except he knew why. He would never participate in something so undignified as tag, unless it was with Skylar. He could be himself, he didn't have to put up a strong facade with her. She was his break from the relentless stress of being an Alpha. He hadn't even known her for two weeks, and yet the golden dragon was beyond attached to her. The week without her had been awful. He hadn't realized how good he could feel before her, and now he wasn't willing to give it up.

He looked out over the ocean, where the sun had long ago disappeared. Leo would be expecting him, and he couldn't put off what he needed to tell Skylar any longer. It hadn't been hard convincing Nana and Olly to help him meet with Skylar, but he'd had to cash in some big favors to get the clan members to distract Leo.

We have to land, he told the blue dragon. He knew she didn't understand what he was saying, and she wasn't a part of the clan link, so he had to work a little harder to make the mental connection with her, but he did his best.

He knew she sensed him because she looked over her shoulder, but she didn't understand what he was saying. So, Skylar wasn't yet conscious enough for her knowledge of the human languages to leak over into the dragon's mind. That was fine, he could still project pictures. She was connected enough for him to do that. He looked pointedly at the ground, they were over the dark meadows at this point, and envisioned them landing. She let out a huff but began descending. As he watched her land without so much as a stumble, pride swelled in his chest. Landing was the hardest part of flying, the least instinctual, and she had mastered it. Sure, there was no wind and she had a large landing space, but it was still a victory. He landed next to her and the golden dragon nuzzled her one more time before shifting back into Orion. He tried to not think that it was maybe the last time they'd be dragons together.

Skylar sighed and stretched her arms up. "I'm still aching after shifting. Does that go away?"

He nodded, distracted by her lithe form. "Uh, yeah, yeah it'll go away."

"Good. At least it isn't agonizing pain when I shift anymore," she grinned. "That means my dragon and I are bonding right?"

"Yes, and that's exactly what we want." He ran a hand through his hair, which wasn't tied back today, so it was flowing freely around his face.

"Hey," Skylar asked, stepping towards him. "Is everything okay? You seem distracted."

He squeezed his eyes closed. "It's just-- I don't-- I didn't just orchestrate this because I missed you."

"Oh," her eyebrows creased and she stepped back again. "Alright."

"No, that came out wrong," he ran his hands over his face. He didn't want to tell her. It was dumb, she would be suspecting it, but he didn't want to ruin the good night that they'd had. "I have to tell you something."

She crossed her arms and stared at him, using that skill where she somehow managed to look down her nose at him even though he was over a head taller than her. "Well then spit it out. It'll only be worse if you keep stalling."

He let out a breath. "Fine. Our messenger arrived late this morning. He flew ahead to let us know that Kellan and his family will be here tomorrow. Likely in the morning."

He watched as she deflated slightly, her stance taking on a more vulnerable look. "Already?"

"It's been a week," he offered weakly.

"I know, I guess I was hoping they would be late," she whispered. She looked up at him, her eyes wide with worry. Her lip trembled slightly, and he hated himself for ruining her mood. His dragon keened, wishing to step forward and comfort her. "What's going to happen?"

He knew exactly what would happen. Kellan and Penelope would, one way or another, figure out that Skylar was the long lost Kiara. Then they would take her away, just like Leo wanted. And Orion would mate with Cassie, creating a more permanent bond between the clans. But he didn't tell Skylar any of that, because he was a coward and didn't want to ruin their night any more than it already had been.

"I don't know," he lied, stepping toward her. He made a conscious decision and wrapped her in his arms. She melted against him, cuddling into his chest. Fear radiated from her and all he wanted was to make that go away. He held her tighter, memorizing the feeling of her in his arms. "But it's going to be okay."

She didn't argue with him that it wouldn't be, even though he could sense that she wanted to. Instead, she allowed him to comfort her. She allowed him to hold her, giving the illusion that he'd never have to let her go. He reached up to caress her hair before, on impulse, bending down and pressing his lips against the top of her head.

That warm, new feeling spread through him as he heard her sigh and relax further into his embrace. The feeling, the one he didn't want to think about, was suddenly all he could think about, other than the woman in his arms. It would not be ignored, and it would not go unnamed. He didn't have the strength to ignore it anymore, and he didn't want to even though he knew it would likely cost him his sanity. He let the feeling wash over him, let it invade every bone in his body, let it take over his mind. It was so unfamiliar, so foreign, but that was how he knew exactly what it was.

Love.

He loved her. Of course he did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8M 451K 40
What if mates didn't exist? Instead, werewolves chose who they wanted to be mated to for the rest of their lives during a short period of time once a...
2.2K 212 44
Seventeen year old Skylar Midnight always thought she'd been an ordinary girl; she knows exactly what to expect when it comes to a person with causal...
13.2M 363K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...
80.1K 971 58
{EDITING PROCESS} *BOOK ONE OF TWO* When a high school student named Davina Smith faces her senior year after a tragedy in her family, suddenly finds...