The Accidental Countess (Fore...

By VeeWood

Highest rank in romance #2 - "I'm a complete and unashamed history geek...there I said it. I spend my days su... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5 - The crop gathering
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 - The Joust
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 - Maxwell POV
Prison
Maxwell POV
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 - Max POV
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Max POV
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 - Max POV

Chapter 10

5.2K 262 3
By VeeWood

Dear readers,

This chapter contains subject matter that may be triggers for some people - please be aware of that before going in.

Thanks and enjoy!

It's easy to get lost in the thick forest and I soon find a spot not too far from the castle, but far enough that I feel confident I won't be disturbed.

I spend a few minutes familiarising myself with the normal noises of the forest, I've never slept rough and it's certainly a new experience. The pitch blackness of the forest consumes me and I feel a shiver run down my spine at the thought of no one knowing where I am.

I fumble around with the basket and manage to find the cold bottle of milk before having a quick drink making a mental note to find a patch of the river Arun in the morning to get some water.

I cover myself with the thick fur cloak I bought with me and settle down to try and get some sleep using a nearby log as a headrest.

My mind wanders to Gracie and Alec and how things were left when I found myself here. Am I missing back home? How much time has passed for them? Will I ever find my way back?

I drive myself crazy thinking about home and how much I wish I could just wake up from this awful dream and be back home, in my bed and in my own time.

Even seeing the idiot Alec at this point would be a small price to pay to be home and away from all this, and the strange pull that Maxwell seems to have over me.

I must have exhausted myself thinking about it all because I wake up some time later shivering, the cold ground has seeped into my very core and something doesn't feel quite right; an odd sense of uneasiness settles in my stomach and I sit very still listening to the dark, trying to figure out exactly what it is.

The darkness is overwhelming and I can't see more than my hands in front of my face; my other senses go into overdrive attempting to make sense of my surroundings.

A muffled scream pierces the air and I stand abruptly trying to get my bearings.

I spot distant flames of light shining like beacons from the castle's windows in the distance and it gives me a brief sense of relief to see something so familiar.

More noises and loud shouting come from ahead and I think seriously about turning and heading in the opposite direction, but what if someone needs my help?

I can't in good conscience do that.

I muster whatever courage I have left and tip toe toward the noise with a rising sense of dread enveloping me.

I approach a group of people that seem to be gathered around a fire and crouch behind the nearest bush to hide myself.

"No! Get off of her you monster! I'll kill you!" shouts an older man looking at something that's out of my line of vision, I risk peering around and my heart stops at the sight before me.

Two men are crouched over a young woman clearly trying to rape her whilst she struggles to get away; a young boy and what I'm assuming are the girl's mother are huddled on the ground nearby crying inconsolably.

The man is struggling against some kind of binding tied around his wrists and shouting abuse; one of the men holding her down stops and struts over to him arrogantly, punching him and pushing him face down into the dirt.

"Your daughter is ours now old man. Don't worry we'll have her screaming for more soon enough" he laughs and reaches into his pocket for a small knife, holding it to his face. "Now you better quieten down or I might have to have a word with your lovely wife over there."

"No! Please! Leave us alone!"

"Shut up!" he shouts at the old man, who recoils expecting another punch or kick to the gut which never comes. Instead he decides to make his way over to the woman and young boy with a smirk on his face.

I have to do something, but what? I have no weapon or any means of getting help without revealing myself.

Blindly feeling around on the floor I try to find a small broken log or something that I can use but what I end up finding is much better.

Gripping the rock I heave it up onto my shoulder struggling under the weight; now I just need to creep around behind this monster and try my best to cleave his rotten head open.

It's so heavy and I think that the jig is up a couple of times as I step on unbelievably loud twigs that crack under my feet.

The man is kneeling down trying to scare the boy whilst his mother grips him tightly to her breast. This is the perfect moment, I know it.

I step forward into the flame light and drop the rock heavily onto the man's head who falls like a sack of spuds, dropping his precious knife.

With all the commotion going on the girl's attacker has only just noticed that his friend is on the floor and he's on his own; he clambers off of the girl who curls into a ball sobbing maniacally. I hastily make a grab for the knife and raise it in front of me wishing I knew more about self-defense.

My lack of experience must show as he stares me down and laughs in my face.

"You think that you can take me woman!?Hahaha! I'd like to see you try bitch!" and he begins to edge his way towards me slowly.

"Stop right there! I mean it! I know how to use this and I won't hesitate to kill you!" I shout at him. I even surprise myself with the raw anger and confidence spewing from me; he hesitates for just a moment before resuming his slow journey toward me.

"You wouldn't hurt me woman. Do you know how I know that?" he says with smug satisfaction and I feel the bile rising in my throat at his inflated ego.

I don't know how to react to the statement and he seizes my momentary lapse of concentration to pounce onto me grabbing the knife, throwing it into the darkness.

He throttles me and I squeal in surprise as he throws me to the ground winding me. I wreath around on the wet dirt desperately trying to draw a breath, as he circles me from above like a vulture waiting for its prey to die.

He kneels down and whispers in my ear "Because I always win."

With that sentiment echoing in my ear, my lungs kick in again and I gasp in a raspy breath of oxygen, desperate to relieve my body.

He pushes me flat onto my back and forces his legs between mine.

"Let me go! Help!"

"No one's going to come and help you now whore – you're mine and there's nothing you can do about it!"

I try to knee him as hard as I can in the groin but seem to somehow miss in the panic. My heart is banging in my chest and I'm fighting with all that I have to get away – I go to scream again but he kisses me.

I bite his lip and draw blood desperate to escape; he rears back and slaps me hard across the face.
Pain explodes in my ear and I feel blood trickle down my cheek.

"Bitch! You'll pay for that!" he sneers as he wipes his bleeding lip on his sleeve.

I flail my arms wildly trying to hit him and get some control back, but I can feel it slipping out of my hands as the seconds tick by. He's stronger than me and he knows it.

"I'm gunna fuck you black and blue, you fucking whore..." he says with a steely edge to his voice gripping both of my arms above my head and holding them securely with one of his own.

I thrash around desperate not to give up and let him win this fight. My hair is draped over my face from the struggle and I can't see anything making my other senses heightened...like touch.

His other hand travels down between us lifting my skirts up to my waist and exposing me to the cold night air.

It's at this point that I truly understand what's happening and all of his previous threats pale in comparison to this moment. He's going to rape me and no one can stop him.

"A frigid bitch like you is gunna be as dry as the desert" he grunts and spits onto his hand lowering it between us. I try frantically kicking my legs but I just can't move him. This can't be happening to me.

"No..." I sob, realising that I have lost and all energy has left me.

I prepare myself for the inevitable pain to come, both mental and physical; but out of nowhere the weight of his body is ripped from me.

I'm shocked as I turn to see the old man scrabbling around on the floor with my attacker.

I lie immobile on the cold ground as the fight continues for what feels like an age, but in reality can only have been a few moments.

I register a wailing in the distance but realise that it's the old woman watching events unfold.

I watch motionless as my attacker is beaten to within an inch of his life. The old man looks about ready to finish him off but the scumbag throws a surprise punch, catching the man off guard.

He keels over and the wretch of a man rises to his feet swaying on the spot.

His face is covered in blood and the swelling from the beating is beginning to show already. He takes one last look at us and takes off running into the trees.

I breathe a sigh of relief and lie back trying to gage how I feel.

I'm bruised and beaten but thankfully he was stopped from actually raping me; I have the old man to thank for that.

I lie there for a long time, or no time at all, just trying to accept everything that has happened.

The woman appears above me speaking but I struggle to hear what she's saying; my ear ringing in the side that he hit me on. She sits me up and offers me a drink of water which I gladly accept.

"Thank you for helping us" she says and I try to smile at her, I think I manage it pretty well considering how I feel.

The family surround me and I glimpse at the girl to see how she is, she seems happy and in that moment I know that the man did not succeed in raping either of us. It lightens my spirit.

"That's alright." I say. "I'm just glad that were all safe" and shift so I can sit comfortably against the nearest tree.

"What's your name?" asks the man.

"Cassandra" I mutter quietly.

"Well Cassandra, I owe you a debt. You saved my girl from that scum and in the process were harmed yourself. I'm sorry this happened to you."

I can't tell if he means the time travel or the attack, with my addled brain.

They must sense my confusion and the woman pulls their children away toward the fire whilst the man sits down next to me.

"You took quite the beating there in the name of justice. How are you feeling?" he asks softly.

"I feel...alright. A bit shocked I suppose but you saved me from him. Thank you." I say with tears pooling in my eyes.

"Don't thank me; it's what any decent man would have done. Now rest, don't be afraid. He won't come back and if he has the nerve to, I'm ready for him." He says with confidence.

I don't want to be on my own and he can sense it. "Here, let me help you over to the fire and you can have a sleep. I'll watch over you."

"Thank you." I whimper and with that he helps me to my feet and pulls my arm over his shoulder for support. We hobble slowly toward the fire and he helps me sit down next to it.

The warmth of the flames warms my bones and I lie back suddenly very tired.

"What about him?" I say pointing to the man I hit over the head with the rock.

"He's dead." Says the man delicately.

"Oh" I say and a wave of guilt overwhelms me – what have I done? But then I think of what this man was willing to do to the girl and I feel slightly more justified in my actions.

All I can think about is my family and how much I just want to go home, what am I even doing here? This all feels like one big nightmare that I can't wake up from.

The only shining beacon in all of it was Maxwell and even he's tainted by Alice now.

Tears fall freely down my face as I think of my father and how he should be the one holding me now, stroking my hair and telling me everything's going to be ok. But that's not possible.

I don't know if I'll ever make it home or back to them and the thought makes me feel sick.

I look at the girl and she smiles at me, silently thanking me. I attempt a smile back and close my eyes ready for sleep to take me.

I want this day to be over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 8.5K 49
Daisy is the soft-hearted mother of one with a dark past and an ex husband she's running from. She's spent the past six months building a new life fo...
10.5K 713 29
Wattpad Exclusive! Nearly beaten to death, a man wakes up in a place he does not know. Neither can he remember how he even ended up there. Waking up...
616K 20K 53
Book one in the Legendary Lunas series. Completed. ****************************************** He moved as quickly as a bolt of lightning. Suddenly he...
57.8K 4.3K 31
As Areston and Juliette decide to rekindle their scorching hot affair, their edge of addiction for each other lulls them to uncover the darkness they...