Seen - A Novella

By Andreamer-vt

Sam Heathrow is a second year student at Bayview University. The new semester has just begun and she's ready... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
UPDATE

Chapter 4

103 13 16
By Andreamer-vt

Hey guys! Another day, another chapter.

Thanks for all the comments on chapter 3! I will definitely be including your ideas in the upcoming chapters! 

Also, it would be awesome if this chapter could get 10 votes please! (I'll still update regardless - but it might make the update a little faster)

Enjoy!

- Andrea

4.

"You told everyone it was a BYO, right?" Leigh shouts, running up and down the hallway of the flat as she frantically puts the last-minute touches together for our flat party.

"Of course! There's no way I'm shelling out hundreds for everyone else's alcohol!" Carina yells back.

It's Saturday night, and I'm up in my room getting changed out of my running gear.

I decide that shorts and a slightly revealing white top will the best go to for tonight. It's a casual affair, not a dance club.

My long bronze hair hangs loose in natural waves and my natural tan compliments the outfit I've chosen. All I need to do is slip on a pair of white converse and apply a little makeup. A bit of contouring never did anyone any harm.

After my lab with Beckett, the rest of the week was reasonably uneventful.

I attended my lectures, went to the gym, had lunch with a few mates, held my second tutorial for the week and completed another planning session with Rafael.

"Of course, I'm coming this weekend." He grinned at me, as the two of us finished up our session.

I rolled my eyes at that, "Don't forget, you've got to bring your own drinks."

"Sure thing princess."

So, there's no doubt in my mind that Rafael is going to be making an appearance tonight.

As for Beckett...Well...

That's another story.

A non-existent one for that matter.

I honestly don't understand why I'm so hung up on the guy.

I glance at myself in the mirror one final time before heading downstairs.

"You've got this, Sam."

I pull a stupid face, finish applying my matte lipstick and tug on a denim jacket. Then, it's time to check that the rest of the flat is in order before people start arriving.

It's already ten thirty and the party doesn't start until eleven, but that doesn't mean my flatmates are any less excited.

Most of them already started drinking a few hours earlier, I'm the only girl still sober.

I guess, sometimes I think of myself as the flat mother, looking after the rest of these girls, but that doesn't mean I can't have a good time too. I just have to make sure I'm more coherent than the rest of them.

Sadly, this isn't that hard to achieve.

"Hey girl! You ready for this?!" Maddie grins, looking primped up in a short green dress that compliments her chocolate brown hair.

I nod, "Absolutely, it will be a nice way to unwind after this week."

"Tell me about it!" She squeals, "All of my assignments can go stick it where the sun doesn't shine!"

"Haha, I have a feeling you'll be telling me something different tomorrow morning."

She nods, "Of course, you know me too well, Sam."

Maddie and I enter the kitchen, to find Carina and Kasey mixing up some random combination of alcohol and juice in the blender.

"I don't even want to know that is!" I chuckle, catching a whiff of something strong coming from Kasey's glass.

"Just needs a bit of lime and salt!" Carina giggles.

"I hope you know that could be the worst combination I've ever heard..." Leigh sighs, taking a swig of her drink.

I walk over to the flat speakers and find Leigh's phone placed beside it, a Spotify playlist on the front screen.

Before I can scan through the list of songs, there's a loud knock on the door.

Leigh looks up, excited.

"Well, well, well...LET'S GET WASTED!"

Right now,

The night truly begins.

~~~

11.30 (Half a beer in)

The flat is already crowded.

People are spilling out the doors into our backyard, as some new dance song blasts out over the speakers. I have to be wary of the sound level though, I don't want this party to be shut down by noise complaints.

There's a lot of people I know here, and a lot that I don't.

I'm squashed on the couch in the living room, between Haven and Tom, and a couple of her other friends.

I was surprised to see Daniel turn up, dressed in jeans and a casual flannel shirt, right now, he's sitting on the other couch as some random girl chats him up.

It's quite funny to watch, he doesn't look too into it to be honest.

"Haven, you want another drink?" Tom asks, giving my best friend a slightly concerned look.

He's eager to impress tonight.

"Isn't he just lovely?" Haven gushes, as soon as her new beau has left to get her another beer.

I nod, taking a sip from my own drink, "He is, I'm still keeping an eye on him though."

"Sure you are..." She mutters, "What would I do without a friend like you?"

"Make poor life choices." I chuckle.

I guess I deserve the cheeky slap I get in response for that one.

I glance around the living room, Madison is over by the speakers, chatting up one of the guys from the flat next door as she plays around with the playlist. Meanwhile, Kasey and Carina can be heard cracking up in the kitchen as they mix drinks.

I have no idea where Leigh is right now, probably out on the lawn with her mates.

Even though the party kicked off half an hour ago, there's still a reasonably steady stream of people entering through the front door.

Too many for my liking to be honest. But what can you do at this point?

Might as well enjoy myself while the night is still young.

"Did you invite any cute boys tonight?" Haven asks me, as Tom reappears with two beers and joins us on the couch again.

I shake my head, "Nah. I just invited you and all your boys."

She grins and glances at Tom, "Well, this one is pretty cute."

"Calm down, you'll scare him away!" I remind her, crossing my legs and stealing another glance at Daniel.

Tom shakes his head and plants a cheeky kiss on Haven's head, "Nah, she won't."

"Gross, you two. Get a room."

"Go and find yourself some action Sam, god knows you need it." Haven instructs me.

I sigh and get up from the couch.

"I'll catch you guys later."

They both nod, before becoming immersed in each-others conversation. I exit the living room, suddenly feeling invisible.

I edge my way along the hallway, desperately trying to dodge past the throng of people who chose to mix and mingle here. It's certainly an interesting place to spend time at a party, but there's enough people that want to hand out here that make it difficult for me to head upstairs.

"Sorry!"

"Excuse me."

"Coming through."

And eventually, the inevitable.

*BANG*

Me and my drink, colliding into someone.

The fates must be after me tonight.

Plus, I must have a target on my head that reads: Please bang into Sam if you're even remotely good looking.

"Shoot, sorry about that." I gasp, glancing up and feeling my breath catch.

I'm surprised.

Honestly.

This is the last person I expected to see here. At my flat. At my party.

Well, Leigh's party.

It's so easy to see the golden flecks in their eyes as they stare down at me.

"Sam?"

I nod.

"What are you doing here?"

I smile uneasily.

"Funny story, I live here, Beckett."

I take a long sip of my beer.

12.30 (One and a half beer's in.)

To be honest. I should have had four beers by now.

Or four shots.

Or something.

Probably even more to be honest.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for nursing my drink.

The only reason I'm even drinking right now is to keep my mouth from going dry.

Because I have ended up in the most unlikely situation right now.

"Nice view you've got here." Beckett muses, running a hand through his perfectly tousled hair, as he holds a drink in his other. He's standing by my bedroom window, looking out at the chaos unfolding below in the backyard.

I'm sitting on the edge of my bed, watching Beckett and slowly sipping my drink.

I dragged him up here because I wanted to know how the hell he ended up at this party. Plus, I wanted to talk to him, without anyone else spilling drinks on us or trying to join the conversation.

I just want to get to know Beckett Ryes better, and here is my chance.

"So..." I start, "How did you end up at my flat?"

He doesn't look at me as he replies, almost like he's desperate to avoid me.

If that was the case, why would he be in my room?

"My mate was invited by Carina, our whole flat decided to come. I didn't realise this was your flat."

"Is there a problem with this being my flat?" I ask, a cold tone lacing my voice.

I didn't even know I had the capacity to create such a tone. I guess I surprise myself sometimes.

He shakes his head, "Of course not. I just didn't realise you were into this kind of stuff."

I place my drink on the bedroom floor and lean back on my bed.

"You mean, having a social life?"

He laughs.

"I mean, chaotic parties."

I stare up at the ceiling as I respond.

"Well, Beckett, there's a lot you don't know about me."

"I can see that now."

I sigh, I don't know what I'm doing right now. It's late, I'm only two drinks into the night, and Beckett is the most gorgeous, confusing person I've ever met.

And he's in my room.

"Hey, Beckett." I start, feeling a little more confident as the alcohol begins to flow through my system. "Why do you never message me?"

"Uh..."

"Do you not like me?" I ask.

It sounds so stupid as it passes my lips, but it's something I've wanted to know for at least two weeks.

"Sam, come on. I just suck at checking my phone."

I roll my eyes, even though I know he can't see that I'm doing this.

"But how come you're always online?"

"I'm sorry Sam. It's not what it looks like, I'm not ignoring you if that's what you're asking."

I roll over and pick up my drink, downing the rest of the bottle before I reply.

"Well, you're ignoring me now. Why don't you tell me about yourself? I know nothing about you."

I wait a few moments, and feel the bed move a little as Beckett sits down on the edge of it.

"What would you like to know?" He asks, his voice so soothing to my ears.

I bite my lip as I think this through for a moment.

"Tell me about your family..."

He doesn't reply for a long time.

"I'm not too sure a flat party is the best place to discuss that."

"So, it's a sad family story then?" I ask, sitting up and wiggling across the bed to join Beckett.

He shrugs, "It's just not something I want to talk about right now."

"Oh." I mumble, "Sorry."

"It's alright. Look, Sam, can I be honest with you right now?" He asks, finally looking at me for the first time.

I nod, captivated by his gaze, and the alcohol certainly isn't helping.

"I'm not very good at opening up to people. But, if you give me time, I'm sure I'll come around."

"Erm, alright?"

"You're an awesome lab partner Sam, I hope you realise that."

My heart sinks.

Ouch.

"Can we at least be friends?" I ask.

"I thought we already were..."

I have to laugh a little at that, "Well, ok then, if you say so."

He places a large hand on my shoulder.

"Look Sam, you're an amazing girl, it's just that-"

I cut him off.

"I need to get another drink? Are you coming or not?"

I get off the bed and stalk out of the room, with the strange feeling that I can hear Beckett letting out an audible sigh behind me.

I interrupted him for a reason.

I didn't want to hear what he had to say. I knew it was going to hurt.

For some reason, I doubt that Beckett was going to say: It's just that I'm desperately in love with you.

Or something along those lines.

Let's get realistic here. This is 2017. We're both nineteen-year-old students at a crowded flat party.

This is not the kind of place where love stories exist.

This is the place where they come to die.

~~~

A/N

The night is certainly still young, so there's a lot more that will happen at this party. I hope you guys are enjoying it so far though!

10 votes please before the next chapter!

And here are some questions for you all...

1) What do you think Beckett was going to say to her?

2) What on earth do you think his backstory is, why is he so reluctant to tell her?

3) Do you think that random girl will successfully chat up Daniel?

4) What would you like to see Rafael get up to when he finally shows up? 

5) What songs would you expect to see on the playlist for the party?

See you all tomorrow! 

- xox Andrea

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131 9 27
After an extremely tragic and traumatic event, Callie finds out the world is not what she thought. At a loss in her new reality, she goes on to find...
2.4M 81.5K 53
(Complete) After a terrible encounter at a party, one year later, Hailey Fonte is ready to return to her hometown. With everyone against her because...
1.4K 124 35
Kali Daniels and Nathan Carver. Very different people. This story starts off when Kali goes into Biology class to find out that they are switching s...
1.4K 27 27
Hailey Martin has never been one to stick out in a crowd. She's always been perfectly happy to hang out in a corner, listening to her favourite playl...